2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Graphite vs Steel Shaft Performance in Irons

ron5668

I hit a buddy's graphite shaft irons and it was surprisingly easy distance and accuracy. I typically hit my 7 iron 155 carry on average and am 66. One elbow aches at times so I'm considering changing to graphite.  I play the KBS Tour 90 shaft now and am satisfied. Planning to get fit for Cobra RadSpeed Irons, but wonder if anyone can help interpret the descriptions below (from the Cobra site). It states the graphite shaft promotes maximum control, which is contrary to what I've heard over the years when it comes to graphite shafted irons. I know they've improved. The fitting will tell the tale; anxious to see any difference in distance and dispersion. Interesting also that the steel shaft describes higher trajectory, additional spin and max distance, while the graphite promotes control and distance. Any comments or experiences are most welcome. Thanks.

Steel - KBS Tour 90

The KBS TOUR 90 is designed for players seeking higher trajectory, additional spin and maximum distance.

KBS Tour 90

Model Flex Shaft Weight Kick Point Trajectory Spin Tip Diameter
KBS Tour 90 Stiff 102g Mid-Low Mid-High Mid 0.370
KBS Tour 90 Regular 95g Mid-Low Mid-High Mid 0.370

Graphite - UST Recoil 460 ESX

The Recoil 460 ESX graphite shafts are designed to promote maximum control and distance for all golfers through the latest in design and materials.

UST Recoil ESX 460

Model Flex Shaft Weight Kick Point Torque Launch Spin Tip Diameter
UST Recoil ESX 460 Stiff (F4) 67g Low-Mid 4.6 High Mid 0.370
UST Recoil ESX 460 Regular (F3) 65g Low-Mid 4.7 Mid-High Mid 0.370
UST Recoil ESX 460 Lite (F2) 63g Low-Mid 4.8 Mid-High Mid 0.3

@Stuart_G is correct when saying you won't know until you try them side by side.  Big difference between KBS 90 steel shafts and UST 60s gram graphite.  I wouldn't compare the two.  He's also correct about choosing shaft weight similar to what you are comfortable with as opposed to a big drop in weight.  Just because shaft data suggests similarities and opposites, doesn't necessary mean YOU will experience those differences as they describe them.

Since the inclusion of metals in Graphite/Composite shaft construction, stability has improved dramatically, without taking away the effect's graphite is known for.  A limited number of graphite shafts that include various forms of metal now play very similar to steel.

The lighter the weight of the shaft the more adjustments YOU have to make, so they work.  Getting used to a shaft is one thing, adjusting our mechanics to accommodate the shafts characteristics is another, and IMO a no, no. 

I played PX 6.0 120g for a long time.  Switched to Steelfiber i95 "S" for a short period, then switched to i110 "S" for a longer period, which was a more fitting except the tip section wasn't as stiff as I like them.  So, I went back to steel PX, only 5.5 115g till discovering Tensei AV White "S" shafts in "S", which are 2g ascending weight, 2i=90g increasing to PW=108g. 

What made these lite shafts work for my mechanics was not only their profile but adjusting swing weight of each to D2.  Now they stick with my aggressive swing and the tip is strong enough to allow impact to talk to my hands, and I still got the graphite benefit of increased SS.  Good luck.

• Like 2
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

3 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Since the inclusion of metals in Graphite/Composite shaft construction, stability has improved dramatically, without taking away the effect's graphite is known for.  A limited number of graphite shafts that include various forms of metal now play very similar to steel.

Well, it's true that the consistency and other characteristics of graphite shafts have improved significantly over the years.   But it's very doubtful that the use of steel mesh is a major contributing factor in that.  Metal is no more inherently stable than graphite.  It's really just that it's a much newer technology compared to steel so advances have come along a lot faster than is possible with steel shafts.

Also the similarity also has little to do with the inclusion.  Graphite was originally all about a lighter alternative to steel but that's change.  It's just that demand has grown for graphite shafts to be designed with similar profiles and weights.

On 1/22/2021 at 11:19 AM, Stuart_G said:

Well, it's true that the consistency and other characteristics of graphite shafts have improved significantly over the years.   But it's very doubtful that the use of steel mesh is a major contributing factor in that.  Metal is no more inherently stable than graphite.  It's really just that it's a much newer technology compared to steel so advances have come along a lot faster than is possible with steel shafts.

Also the similarity also has little to do with the inclusion.  Graphite was originally all about a lighter alternative to steel but that's change.  It's just that demand has grown for graphite shafts to be designed with similar profiles and weights.

Between you and me and the fence post, back in the 90s I held an interest in graphite shaft distribution company.  I know more than I am letting on about graphite shafts.  Anyway, since I have a unique tempo that demands a certain type shaft, I've tested many of them over the years.  I used to own Loomis Tour iron shafts, also 2-SW set of PRGR graphite iron shafts that cost $1800 in the 90s, LOL as well as Honma shafts with hand laid (in a white rm) titanium threads, butt to tip of the shaft.  Currently, I have two different sets of 2-PW Steelfiber and currently play Tensei White lite graphite with aluminum vapor mesh weaving, so I disagree with your conclusion about metal materials in graphite shafts.  It's all about stability and feel.

Metal mesh brings stability and feel that hadn't been reached in graphite years earlier.  It's that metal material and its feel that made Steelfiber noticeable on the tours.  A shaft that would hold up to tour SS's and provide trajectory and distance control on top of feel at impact.  Reason that Steelfiber i95 in "R" is played by many, cause "S" plays much stiffer than its flex.  It's all about feel and control, reason Couples voluntarily switched to i110 shafts, no sponsorship.  But you're welcome to your opinion. 

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

19 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Between you and me and the fence post, back in the 90s I held an interest in graphite shaft distribution company.  I know more than I am letting on about graphite shafts.  Anyway, since I have a unique tempo that demands a certain type shaft, I've tested many of them over the years.  I used to own Loomis Tour iron shafts, also 2-SW set of PRGR graphite iron shafts that cost $1800 in the 90s, LOL as well as Honma shafts with hand laid (in a white rm) titanium threads, butt to tip of the shaft.  Currently, I have two different sets of 2-PW Steelfiber and currently play Tensei White lite graphite with aluminum vapor mesh weaving, so I disagree with your conclusion about metal materials in graphite shafts.  It's all about stability and feel.

Metal mesh brings stability and feel that hadn't been reached in graphite years earlier.  It's that metal material and its feel that made Steelfiber noticeable on the tours.  A shaft that would hold up to tour SS's and provide trajectory and distance control on top of feel at impact.  Reason that Steelfiber i95 in "R" is played by many, cause "S" plays much stiffer than its flex.  It's all about feel and control, reason Couples voluntarily switched to i110 shafts, no sponsorship.  But you're welcome to your opinion. 

I don't mind disagreements. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

A related question, please.  I am 72, lowest-ever handicap 7, now a 13.  In the past three years I've had a significant back surgery and a total hip replacement, and am obviously not as strong or flexible as I once was. 7-iron distance dropped from 150-155 to 140, and has not returned.  I have played the same TM Tour Burner irons with regular stock steel shafts with great satisfaction since 2008, if you can believe it.  A lot has changed since then.  I am shopping for new irons and am thinking graphite, with which I hope to gain back some distance, and also a lighter weight that will be easier to swing and sustain, especially late in the round.  I will get professionally fitted but would welcome any thoughts on shafts, irons, and if you think my goals for graphite are realistic.  Many thanks in advance!

Currently game the MMT.  Have recoil protos in my back up and have gamed a variety of steel shafts in the past including the KBS Tour.  Recoils will launch slightly lower than the KBS Tour but have less spin.  You should pay attention to dispersion when picking your graphite shaft.  I believe that it's the most important thing.  Second would be distance control.  If you want something that launches lower and is on the less spinny side, test the MMT line if you get the chance.  Also, graphite/composite shafts are easier on the joints than steel.  I have hand and wrist issues and when I made the change, it was the best thing I did for my body.  Shot off the toe and thin screamers hurt a lot less. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2