Back to the future! Little help guys

Devildawg67

Looking for a little advice on updating my bag this summer.Played the game entire life,college,long time CC member I was carrying a + handicap in 08-09 hung up the clubs in 2010 was to up a few strokes to 2-3 handicap.Ive played less than 10 rounds in the last 10 years

pulled the clubs out 3 weeks ago  I’ve been slowly getting the muscles back,stretching out hitting couple buckets a day....surprisingly the swing is coming around much faster than I thought,short games a mess haven’t even thought of working the ball or flighting just stock swings for now.I did hop on the monitor yesterday was consistently hitting 108-110 which shocked me that I still have some speed just turned 50 

anyway,the clubs I’m hitting 07 X forged 3-PW,Vokey wedges,sonartec md hybrid,Sonartec tect SS 07 3W,Driver is a Titleist 909,Cameron Santa Fe putter 

lots changed in 10 years lol I’ll be getting into all new woods,not sure yet on the hybrid vs driving irons or 5 wood I’ll figure that out 

the Irons? Absolutely loved the X forged after a lifetime of nothing but Titleist blades.How do these X forged measure up with all the new tech? I see a lot of players are now carrying a really mixed bag,something I always thought of doing but never tried 

will the new Apex irons blend in with my older X forged? I really like the look of the callaway MBs was thinking of those 8-PW keep the X forged and drop the 3 iron for something in the Apex line 

all thoughts welcome 

all clubs disposable other than my Scotty it’s a keeper 

If you like the irons, than no need to change. Not much in the way of tech for your skill level. 

Woods and hybrids. Drivers are a lot more forgiving across the face. 

I will get the same ball speed from my 15 year old Titleist 905r as I do with my 2020 Ping G410 lst, but not if I’m fractionally off with the 905R. The Ping G410 is way more forgiving. 

Hybrids are something you will have to test out. I have only liked a handful of hybrids over the years and have more recently found one I like, head and shoulders above the rest.  Adams Super 9031 which came out in 2013? 

Test a few to see what suits your needs best. Some are more Wood like, some more iron like in flight. 

My friend still hits the X-Forged. He bought a mint set not long ago and reshafted them after he wore his out. Their are many guys who will buy retro re-finished heads and just shaft them to their specs. 

As far as putters go, a good one just can’t be replaced. I play the same one since I started playing golf in 92’ a Ping Pal 2.... I’m looking to get another 30 years out of I honestly 😝 

• Like 1

Focus your attention on the driver. You can probably find a combo of head and shaft that could get you a little extra distance and better dispersion. The drivers had improved quite a bit in my opinion. As for your irons and hybrid, if your happy with them I don’t think you’ll find much difference in newer models. Wedges have many more grind options than were offered 10 years ago, so you may find one that fits you great. I also had a fairly long hiatus from the game but have loved getting back into it again the past few years. Welcome back to the crazy. 

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

The crazy is right 

played for so long and so often,always a gear freak spent a fortune on drivers I just woke up one day burnt out.Got the itch again I thought I could get back into the game have a little more fun,less grind but here I am after a few weeks consumed with all this new tech looking at clubs 

The sonartecs are great clubs,the 17 MD is a rocket launcher but neither were very forgiving.Ill probably start with those two and work on dropping the 3 iron for something else.

its going to be a tough call on the rusty set of vokeys but they are well used.like I said earlier I always thought a mixed bag of irons was the way to go but none of the good players I knew were doing it 

If you go by purely recs (most discussed) on this forum, I predict you’ll end up with a bag like this:

PXG 0811 X or X+ Proto driver w/ KHT Autoflex 505XX shaft

(any 3W but with Autoflex FW shaft)

Callaway Super Hybrid 

Miura Baby Blades or Mizuno Copper MP-20’s

(any wedges)

Circle T Cameron putter

Pro V1x Left Dash ball (until new Kirkland Sig 4-pc ball is released)

• Haha 1

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

If you still have the quality swing to hit the x forged irons, I don’t think you need any upgrades. Those were sweet clubs and you won’t find significant differences if you got the equivalent new clubs. 

Depending on the quality of your wedges and your putter, you may only need to look at the top of your bag. From your driver to current drivers is pretty significant improvement in moi. Fairways and hybrids have also seen improvements, but driver will stand out the most simply because of the distance. 

As for hybrid / driving iron / wood at the top of the bag, that’s so tough, and honestly a lot of really good players have multiple combos to play depending on the course layout and weather. Heavy rough? Get the hybrid. Perfect weather with little to no wind? Fairway wood for some extra height and soft landing on the green. Need some penetrating flight on a windy day? Grab the DI. 

How many hybrids (if you go that route)? I have a new arccos tracker that showed my distances were good up until a 5 iron where they started to drop off. Personally, even with plenty of speed, I didn’t have the quality of strike needed for the iron, so I made my split there. For better players, it may only be a 3 or 4 hybrid (or none).

The 909 is still solid,had one 18 months ago,try 917d3,the 3 Sonartec,try a 917 3/4 wood.Two fresh wedges? Sub70 raw...google it...then Play...welcome back.

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

Players irons are what they are.  Maybe a couple of adjustments to sole grind is all that's improved over the years but that's so subjective.  Drivers and hybrids have come a long way.  Like most on here have said, I'd start there.  If you like to hit open faced shots around the green, most manufacturers are offering quite a few grinds that help with that.  You can go all out and go see Mike T at Artisan!

2 hours ago, 95124hacker said:

If you go by purely recs (most discussed) on this forum, I predict you’ll end up with a bag like this:

PXG 0811 X or X+ Proto driver w/ KHT Autoflex 505XX shaft

(any 3W but with Autoflex FW shaft)

Callaway Super Hybrid 

Miura Baby Blades or Mizuno Copper MP-20’s

(any wedges)

Circle T Cameron putter

Pro V1x Left Dash ball (until new Kirkland Sig 4-pc ball is released)

Had to pry my Titleist MBs out of my hands when I switched to the X forged...a flushed shot center face off a blade 5 iron is almost better than sex! I won’t go blade hunting again,unfortunately.Might look into something in the lower end...the one club in the X forged I’m not a huge fan of was the PW.Was fine for a full swing everything else was sketchy,I remember always looking for yardage for the gap wedge or even 9  

nice to be back on a forum I used to be a daily user of bomb squad 10 years ago.Ill never forget ordering this red hot mizuno driver for a grand sight unseen,the hype was all over the place.That thing was one awesome driver until the milled face cracked in 6 months lol think it ended up illegal