Putter Length/Lie Adjustments Needed?- More Upright/Longer?

Just needing a little help!  

I'm looking to adjust my putter a bit and think that I need something a little longer and a little more upright.  I've been currently playing a 34" length for as long as I can remember.  Recently took a video of myself putting after struggling the last few rounds.

I'm finding myself pulling a few putts, especially from shorter range.  Decided to take a video this month and in looking at my video, I can see that I'm a little more hunched over than I thought driving my hands lower and the toe of the putter up.

Should I be looking at a putter in the 34 1/2" or 35" inch range or adjusting the current length by lie angle?  I'm also thinking that I would benefit from a putter with a bit more toe hang as well.

Thank you for the help!

IMG_5302 (1).MOV

Edited by CactusGolf

Callaway Epic Speed 10* Mitsubishi MMT
Callaway Mavrik 15* Project X Riptide 70
Cobra F8 17.5* Aldila NV
Taylormade PSi 4-PW KBS Tour
Callaway MD3 50*/54*/58*

Bettinardi Studio Stock 17
Bridgestone Tour B X
WITB Link

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

See a good putting instructor.    That said, get closer and align the shaft with your forearms as a start.   Makes it easier to control the stroke arc and gets wrists more in ulnar deviation wh

I like to see my putter run right into my forearms at the same angle like Faxon when I'm in my proper stance.  So whatever it takes for loft/lie to get there. I've recently gone a hair longer and made

Maybe on the longer putter.   But good to see someone that has sam puttlab etc.     good fitters can be of help here too and really good ones will have some putter training.   The guy I used is a wish

Posted Images

Nice Method!

I've been playing around with my putter length recently as well, because I'm just not feeling comfortable in my setup. I've been struggling with my path forever (pushing out on the backswing, and then cutting across the ball on the forward swing), and no changes to my stroke are helping, so I think it's time to work on my setup.

One easy way to experiment is by taking off your shoes and seeing how putting that way feels. Measure how much taller your shoes make you first. My shoes add like 1.25" to my height, so it turns my 33.5" putter into about 34.75" putter. I definitely feel more relaxed at that length, but I've been playing all my putters at 33.5"-34" for so long that I'm not sure if this is just a honeymoon thing. I think taking some videos at various putter lengths and drawing some lines to see where the shaft goes (up the forearm, hopefully), would be a good idea.

Also if you have an air compressor and some old wedge shafts, you can experiment with lengthening your putter pretty easily. I lengthened one of my putters from 33.5" to 34" by blowing off the grip, sticking an old shaft in the butt end of the putter shaft, and trimming to length. Took about 10 minutes of effort.

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 10.5 deg

Callaway Mavrik 3 wood

Cobra F9 5 Wood

Srixon H45 4 hybrid

Srixon 565 5-AW

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

See a good putting instructor. 

That said, get closer and align the shaft with your forearms as a start.   Makes it easier to control the stroke arc and gets wrists more in ulnar deviation which also add to stroke stability.  Putters are typically pretty upright so setting up close gets the putter soled flat or a bit toward the toe a la stricter.

05BF1475-8F02-450F-A60E-B53D8A154BB1.jpeg.6815bf44a1054e83d3b3ed1a21e56f52.jpegBFDB05EA-EF4B-4BEF-BC09-AB07A9E20332.jpeg.709569532f15df1832a79c7a1a693f2d.jpeg

Edited by glk
  • Thanks 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

Laugh-a while you can, monkey boy.
Enjoy every sandwich

14 minutes ago, glk said:

See a good putting instructor. 

That said, get closer and align the shaft with your forearms as a start.   Makes it easier to control the stroke arc and gets wrists more in ulnar deviation which also add to stroke stability.  Putters are typically pretty upright so setting up close gets the putter soled flat or a bit toward the toe a la stricter.

That helps!  Thank you!  

I didn't think about how far away I was standing.  That makes sense why I'm hunched over though and as a possible reason behind that toe being off the ground.  Maybe a longer putter would help promote better posture?

Cobra F8 17.5* Aldila NV
Callaway MD3 50*/54*/58*

Bridgestone Tour B X
WITB Link

27 minutes ago, MaineMariner said:

Nice Method!

I've been playing around with my putter length recently as well, because I'm just not feeling comfortable in my setup. I've been struggling with my path forever (pushing out on the backswing, and then cutting across the ball on the forward swing), and no changes to my stroke are helping, so I think it's time to work on my setup.

One easy way to experiment is by taking off your shoes and seeing how putting that way feels. Measure how much taller your shoes make you first. My shoes add like 1.25" to my height, so it turns my 33.5" putter into about 34.75" putter. I definitely feel more relaxed at that length, but I've been playing all my putters at 33.5"-34" for so long that I'm not sure if this is just a honeymoon thing. I think taking some videos at various putter lengths and drawing some lines to see where the shaft goes (up the forearm, hopefully), would be a good idea.

Also if you have an air compressor and some old wedge shafts, you can experiment with lengthening your putter pretty easily. I lengthened one of my putters from 33.5" to 34" by blowing off the grip, sticking an old shaft in the butt end of the putter shaft, and trimming to length. Took about 10 minutes of effort.

I really, really like the headshape of the Method.  The feel isn't wonderful, but such a great shape.

It sounds like standing taller with a longer shaft would help then.  Maybe I'm leaning over because my putter is too short?

Cobra F8 17.5* Aldila NV
Callaway MD3 50*/54*/58*

Bridgestone Tour B X
WITB Link

I like to see my putter run right into my forearms at the same angle like Faxon when I'm in my proper stance.  So whatever it takes for loft/lie to get there. I've recently gone a hair longer and made the adjustments with the putter just to feel like I'm taking a little pressure off my back - thought it would make me practice more, but no, lol.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, CactusGolf said:

That helps!  Thank you!  

I didn't think about how far away I was standing.  That makes sense why I'm hunched over though and as a possible reason behind that toe being off the ground.  Maybe a longer putter would help promote better posture?

Maybe on the longer putter.   But good to see someone that has sam puttlab etc.     good fitters can be of help here too and really good ones will have some putter training.   The guy I used is a wish in guy, retired from oak ridge labs - small world went to Carnegie tech when I was at Pitt (my first attempt) - all we did was counter balance - made a huge different In Taking the wiggle out of my stroke.

• Like 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

Enjoy every sandwich

1 minute ago, glk said:

Maybe on the longer putter.   But good to see someone that has sam puttlab etc.     good fitters can be of help here too and really good ones will have some putter training.   The guy I used is a wish in guy, retired from oak ridge labs - small world went to Carnegie tech when I was at Pitt (my first attempt) - all we did was counter balance - made a huge different In Taking the wiggle out of my stroke.

I think I'm going to have to.  I've actually never been fit for a putter and it has always been a "trial & error".  If I look back on when I putted the best (high school & college), it was with a Newport Mil-Spec 35"/330g and a White Hot #5 at 35".

Cobra F8 17.5* Aldila NV
Callaway MD3 50*/54*/58*

Bridgestone Tour B X
WITB Link

I've never thought about the idea of standing up taller, but it makes a lot of sense, especially when GLK mentioned that it is important to get the shaft and the arms closer to in line.  Mine are clearly not when comparing to the picture of Brad Faxon that he posted.

Rickie is a good example too!  I'm pretty sure he plays a 35" putter and is only 5'9".  Same as Rory too!

Cobra F8 17.5* Aldila NV
Callaway MD3 50*/54*/58*

Bridgestone Tour B X
WITB Link

1 hour ago, CactusGolf said:

I think I'm going to have to.  I've actually never been fit for a putter and it has always been a "trial & error".  If I look back on when I putted the best (high school & college), it was with a Newport Mil-Spec 35"/330g and a White Hot #5 at 

Consider the Visio putting template.   Comes in different arcs which are more aligned with putters preference and not shaft angle.    

more than you may ever want to know but ...

Enjoy every sandwich

Played this weekend and shot 73 (+1) with 30 putts (was helped by a chip in) and only had one three-putt.  Wasn't too angry with my three-put since I was about 70 feet away off of my approach and hit a terrible first putt.  I made an effort to stand taller and get the shaft more in line with my forearms.  I think that helped a great deal so I bought a heat gun, epoxy, and a shaft extension to put my 34" EOX Indianapolis to 35".  From what I read, it does take a little work to get the stroke lab weight out of the bottom of the putter.

I'm thinking that having the putter with an additional inch will help me stand taller with the shaft in line with  my forearms and not cause any need to adjust lie angle from the 70* standard.

Cobra F8 17.5* Aldila NV
Callaway MD3 50*/54*/58*

Bridgestone Tour B X
WITB Link