Any thought on Taylor Made TW MG2 Wedges

odshot68

Can anyone provide any feedback on these two wedges, good and bad.  Curious how they compare to 

sm8 and to what grinds.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S 

Callaway AI Smoke Max Project X Denali Black 70S 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Wedges ???

Odyssey Dual Force Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

specifically asking about the tiger woods wedge grinds, anyone have any feedback?

Wedges ???

TaylorMade TP5

47 minutes ago, odshot68 said:

specifically asking about the tiger woods wedge grinds, anyone have any feedback?

I mean do you even fit into the grind he has. Are you deft with your wedge play? Steep? 
I know the grind has a square setup and heel/toe relief. Do you swing full swing with these clubs. Think it over before you blindly try to be tiger and you end up working harder than you want to be

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Ping 410 3w / Ping tour 65 s 

Nike VRS covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Cleveland Rtx4  48(bent to 50)mid, 54 mid, 58 mid / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ Black SS Gt 1.0 w 25g counter core.

I’m a lifelong Vokey player and had a set of the TW wedges. I typically play straight on or open up if absolutely needed. These wedges spin more than any wedge I played. They are also one of the best off of tight lies. I got rid of mine because I switched to graphite but seriously the best wedges I played. 

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

Ive gamed them for few weeks and they are still part of my rotation... I would be gaming them right now except I found a good relationship with some ZipCore Tour Racks, however long the relationship may last...

Few things. Im no short game guru, but I do have a pretty good wedge game. My handicap is around 7, I mainly save a lot of pars as my GIR has been very poor for few years, relying heavily on my wedge game to do it. I go through about 2 sets of wedges per season, not due to wear but just to freshen things up when the feeling goes "dull".

Few things Ive discovered about the wedges.

1. They are not exactly forgiving. One might assume with high(ish) bounce that it would help with digging, but the sole grind is aggressive and only small portion of the sole actually interacts with turf. It does become more friendly as you open up the face more, introducing more of the back of the sole, but with 56 and 60 loft, I rarely have shots that require that much height during a typical round of golf.

2. C-Grind on Steroids. More I practiced with the wedges, the more I appreciate the thinking behind every bevel of the sole. It truly does perform well on all type of shots, and if you like to manipulate the face angle a lot, these wedges give you more options than a typical M grinds or C grinds do.

3. Few times, Ive put the 56 in my bag leaving the 60 at home... While the two grinds share similarities, I felt like 60 was mostly for thick, lush rough around the green and felt less versatile than the 56 for full shots and short pitches. With being easily open the face of the 56, I also played few rounds without the 60 period, and never felt like I needed it.

4. Bit heavier. Maybe its the S400 shafts or maybe its the .25" longer in length than standard Vokeys but first few swings felt very heavy especially compared to OTR Vokeys. Its not a problem for partial shots but for full shots, I found myself chocking down about 1/2" for more comfortable tempo for me. Eventually installed KBS Tours in standard length (never got along with S400s or longer length) and it felt great. May try a set of Modus 125 wedge shafts as Im loving it in my Zipcores.

5. It does not come with Tiger's ability. I can appreciate and understand why and how the wedge grind works for Tiger, but Im certainly no Tiger and these wedges have not offered anymore abilities around the green. If anything, I might actually be worse for my game as if you are not dialed in, these can hurt. If you have tendency to hit behind the ball (Ahem...), then you will do them no justice.

6. But it does bring you smiles and joy. For what its worth, I love practicing with them from time to time and there is a small sense of wonder and joy knowing I get to experience a bit of Tiger, regardless of my playing abilities. People game P7TWs not because they can swing like Tiger or have his ability to strike center... and I feel like these are no different. Yes $199 retail is a lot to pay for that, but Ive bought wedges that cost less, perform better, and yet not bring as much joy.

All this is my humble opinion, but I hope it helps.

• Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Gohigh said:

Ive gamed them for few weeks and they are still part of my rotation... I would be gaming them right now except I found a good relationship with some ZipCore Tour Racks, however long the relationship may last.

I agree with everything Gohigh said. As a tiger fan boy I get a lot of joy out of bringing them with me to the course. They also feel fantastically soft out of the middle like did I even hit the ball soft.

In reality though I'm much better with my simple cobra versatile grind 56 and 60 than these as the cobra are just point and shoot simple. If you really plan on learning the grinds and how they can be utilized, by all means they're fantastic. If not they're still fantastic but they probably won't be the best choice.

8 hours ago, odshot68 said:

I have the TW Grind 60 (and a non-TW 56). Both play similarly. The 60 has a wider sole but less bounce than the 56. The 60 is great for tighter lies. 

The TW's come stock with TI S400's, but I am not sure that is worth the additional money all other things considered. But it is a good wedge. 

Let me know if you have any additional questions. 

Very good wedge but I don't play stock. I have C-Tapers in mine and I use it specifically out greenside bunkers almost exclusively when playing. I've practiced longer shots including flop only on the range. The grind is great for both fairway and bunker lies. Soft feel with strong grooves. Outside my CBX2 wedges, I've always favorited TM wedges.

Your paying for the grind and the TW stamp w/fill. I found them to be good added incentives for the extra $30.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

Can anyone compare them to an equivalent Vokey grind?

Wedges ???

TaylorMade TP5

I can't speak to the TW grinds.  I have been a lifelong Vokey guy that has dabbled in other wedges at times.  I put the 50,54,58 MG2 in my bag this year.  All standard bounce.  I play on very medium conditions and tend to play with a square face, open if necessary.  FWIW as far as other brands I've played I did not like the Glide 2.0 or 3.0, and I loved the original X Forged wedges with the first generation Mack Daddy Grooves from 2007ish, but didn't like MG3 wedges at all.  My favorite grinds in Vokey are S and M grinds.  

So far I am very pleased with the TM wedges.  They do feel softer and ever so slightly less clicky than the Vokeys (most likely due to the elastomer ribbon in the cavity).  The feel solid and soft. I have been pleased with full swing and pitch shots.  The soles thus far I am pleased with.  There is some minor relief in the heel to assist in opening the face.  They have a nice weight.  I haven't had them on a monitor to speak to spin, but on course I have not been surprised (good or bad) in regards to spin.  They do what I expect them to do.  

Edited by Hougz79
  • Like 1

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

I bought the 60* a couple weeks ago and have been pleased with the performance.

The club head itself has a similar shape to a Vokey with a slightly higher toe. The grind is where the wedge truly shines. The heel relief really allows you to open the face and the dual bounce sole works well on both full and half shots. It does have a straight and sharp leading edge that sits close to the ground which can dig on short chips if you're touch is a little off. The laser cut on the face does produce a lot of spin. Was able to easily stop a full shot out of a juicy lie in the rough.  

I believe the most similar Vokey grinds are the L, M and maybe D. 

I play X100TI in my irons so the S400TI does provide a similar feel in terms of flex and weight. 

• Like 1