Advice planning golf trip down FL coast

So me and a buddy are planning on doing a long weekend golf/road trip to FL in August (we're from GA so we're prepared for the heat, lol).

Current idea is to make our way down the Atlantic coast and eventually to Naples where my buddy's in laws have a place we can stay. We haven't discussed details much but current tentative plan is:

Leave ATL early AM Thursday > drive to Jacksonville area and play a round > stay night > wake up early AM Friday > drive to Orlando (?) > play round > drive to west palm beach (?) > stay night > wake up early AM Saturday > drive to Naples > play Saturday & Sunday in Naples > head home Monday AM.

Never done anything like this before and neither of us have ever planned a golf trip, so we're looking for ideas in terms of where to go and what courses to play. Probably looking to keep it public only so we can keep the costs manageable. Not sure where to have expectations in terms of green fees as I haven't really played anywhere on the FL Atlantic coast except in Orlando and Ft Lauderdale a long time ago.

So if anyone has ideas of where we should play (in any of the cities on the route above) or how we could improve the route/itinerary, that would be super helpful!

I wouldn't rule out some of the private courses that time of year, although with the current boom maybe not.  

Orlando to West Palm is a decent hike.  And a lot of nothingness in between Orlando and Fort Pierce.  

What are the priorities of this trip?  Say you  played in each corner?  Nightlife?  I would wager you would be better off in an area and play a lot of golf around there.  That's a lot of driving for not really all that great a return in my mind.

The play down the coast thing is just a shell of an idea that we thought might be fun, haven't thought too hard about logistics yet. If we could do better just driving straight to Naples and playing 4-5 different courses within an hour or so of that area I'd be all for that too. I'm just looking for some general advice on how to structure the trip. It's like a 9 hour drive ATL > Naples so we're already planning on doing a lot of driving.

Edited by alwaysmooth

28 minutes ago, alwaysmooth said:

The play down the coast thing is just a shell of an idea that we thought might be fun, haven't thought too hard about logistics yet. If we could do better just driving straight to Naples and playing 4-5 different courses within an hour or so of that area I'd be all for that too. I'm just looking for some general advice on how to structure the trip. It's like a 9 hour drive ATL > Naples so we're already planning on doing a lot of driving.

Yes, but it's one thing to make one big drive and get somewhere, it's another to drive 3 hours each night after playing.  I could be wrong about Naples, as I am more familiar with the Atlantic Coast, but I think a;; the good golf in that area is private, unless you want to pony up for Tiburon, which I believe is pretty expensive.  If you want gulf coast you might be better in Tampa area.

Is Streamsong part of your plan or no?  If it is, I would work around that.

All true, like I said I'm unfamiliar with the area and honestly just trying to see if the idea is feasible or not at this point. The only reason we're going to Naples is because we have a place to stay for free. Hadn't considered Streamsong but heard good things although I think they're similar to Pinehurst i.e. stay and play packages?

Streamsong would be the best golf, and also get their cheapest rates given it's the summer, so that's an option.

Otherwise, it would certainly be more direct to drive down the Gulf coast.  I'd suggest something like:

• Leave Atlanta Thursday AM, drive to Brookville (about 6.5 from Atlanta) and play World Woods (Pine Barrens) in the afternoon
  • You could either stay up that way and play the other World Woods course Friday AM, or drive down closer to Tampa and play something like Innisbrook on Friday.  Copperhead is the course that hosts the PGA Tour event that was held last weekend.
  • In Naples, for publics, I'm a fan of Old Corkscrew (VERY hard course, but like that there's no houses).  It's inland a bit so might be a sauna in August.  Both courses at Tiburon would be good options also and easier on the wallet that time of year.  Given it's the off-season, doesn't hurt to put in a call to some of the privates as well and see if you can get on.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DanMN said:

Streamsong would be the best golf, and also get their cheapest rates given it's the summer, so that's an option.

Otherwise, it would certainly be more direct to drive down the Gulf coast.  I'd suggest something like:

• Leave Atlanta Thursday AM, drive to Brookville (about 6.5 from Atlanta) and play World Woods (Pine Barrens) in the afternoon
  • You could either stay up that way and play the other World Woods course Friday AM, or drive down closer to Tampa and play something like Innisbrook on Friday.  Copperhead is the course that hosts the PGA Tour event that was held last weekend.
  • In Naples, for publics, I'm a fan of Old Corkscrew (VERY hard course, but like that there's no houses).  It's inland a bit so might be a sauna in August.  Both courses at Tiburon would be good options also and easier on the wallet that time of year.  Given it's the off-season, doesn't hurt to put in a call to some of the privates as well and see if you can get on.

I agree with this post on World Woods and Copper Head courses.  Played both and if your coming down 75 south World Woods is not too far out of the way.  Kind of a neat place off the beaten path.  A place I would recommend also is Lakewood National in the Bradenton area.  Arnold Palmer designed and it is a fun layout.  Course was in fantastic shape last time I played there.  Enjoy your trip.  

• Like 2

If you want to include the Atlantic Coast on your drive from Atlanta to Naples, here are the courses I would consider on the trip. (Listed from North to South) If you have the time you can play half of them on the drive down and half on the way home. I'd suggest going to Google Maps or a similar program and mapping it out to decide where you want to stop and how many stops you can fit in . The entire drive along this route is about 13 hours.

Sea Island Resort- Seaside Course (Sea Island , GA)

TPC Sawgrass- Stadium Course (Ponte Veda Beach, FL)

Hammock Beach Resort - Ocean Course (Palm Coast, FL)

Orange County National - Panther Lake Course (Winter Park, FL)

Southern Dunes (Haines City, FL)

Streamsong Resort - Blue, Red and/or Black Courses (Bowling Green, FL)

Tiburon (Naples, FL)

Hammock Bay (Naples, FL)

Any of these courses would make for a great day of golf. Some of them are expensive, but summer is the least expensive time to play them.

• Like 1

I understand wanting to break up the trip but I think sleeping in three different cities over such a short trip complicates things too much. Try to find a spot where you can play, stay, then play again before trucking it to Naples. World Woods, Orange Co. National, etc. 

Not for nothing, but Atlanta heat in August and inland So. Fla heat in August are two very different experiences! There are days down there when it immediately hurts to be outside. 

Edited by me05501
  • Like 2

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Make the trip a week and I would not head inland to Orlando, traffic is a sh_t show

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

11 hours ago, alwaysmooth said:

All true, like I said I'm unfamiliar with the area and honestly just trying to see if the idea is feasible or not at this point. The only reason we're going to Naples is because we have a place to stay for free. Hadn't considered Streamsong but heard good things although I think they're similar to Pinehurst i.e. stay and play packages?

OK, free place to stay is a big deal.  That makes sense you want to work that in.  Knowing that, unless you want to play Sawgrass, I would skip the Atlantic Coast.  If you want to do something around Orlando, OCN and Southern Dunes are great suggestions from Sabram.  That puts you sort of in the vicinity of Streamsong.  Then down to Naples, and enjoy.  Or you can play a couple on your way back.  

One thing I did notice, do you only have the place for two nights?  I just wonder if you'd be better putting the money for lodging the other nights towards golf and staying in Naples more nights.