2021 Pure Silk Championship (May 20 - 23)

Lousy leader board with so many top pros absent.....good thing there's lots of DRAMA at Kiawah....hopefully the PGA of America and KPMG get the gals here one day.

I'm rooting for Sei Young...but she's too wild with suspect putting at times.

18 is playing difficult...but TV doesn't tell the story....really need to play it to understand the stress standing on the 18th tee.

Sei Young was a bit off, but to be fair to her,  she hit a lot of putts near the end of the round that could have, or should have, dropped. Days like that drive you to tears.

Good to see Sara Kemp up there, again. Plenty of consistent performances of late. You know, as an Australian, she is a bit of a mystery to me. And she doesn't seem to be embraced by Aussies the way many of our other girls and guys are. Why is that? i am not even sure where she has played most of her golf - LET, JLPGA...?

I am very interested to see who grabs the second Olympic spot amongst the Thais (the battle of the Jutanugarns!). After Honda you'd have thought Ariya is a near certainty. Then she comes out and misses the cut, and Mo is in contention

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Stooch said:

81 players, groups of 3 all starting from  the same tee, could be a long one tomorrow 😂

I hope they pick up the pace from the past 2 days;  5+ hour rounds and lots of calls to the rules officials.  I don't think the LPGA is expecting it to be any faster which is why they went to 3 and started earlier than anticipated.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Raving Shanker said:

I am very interested to see who grabs the second Olympic spot amongst the Thais (the battle of the Jutanugarns!). After Honda you'd have thought Ariya is a near certainty. Then she comes out and misses the cut, and Mo is in contention

Just sitting here watching the replay this AM and they mentioned Ariya and Moriya both entered the event past the deadline and had to go to the bottom of the list, both are lucky they had to go down to the 400's in the world to fill the spots.

Honestly, I'm betting Ariya just tagged along with or is trying to keep ahead of her sister.  I understand Moriya having to add it to try and get that spot back, not sure if Ariya showing up has to do with being a supportive sister or a competitive sister, who wants the Olympic spot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stooch said:

Just sitting here watching the replay this AM and they mentioned Ariya and Moriya both entered the event past the deadline and had to go to the bottom of the list, both are lucky they had to go down to the 400's in the world to fill the spots.

Honestly, I'm betting Ariya just tagged along with or is trying to keep ahead of her sister.  I understand Moriya having to add it to try and get that spot back, not sure if Ariya showing up has to do with being a supportive sister or a competitive sister, who wants the Olympic spot.

Not sure what you mean, as they are both competing for the one spot. I assume Patty will be the highest ranked Thai.

1 minute ago, Raving Shanker said:

Not sure what you mean, as they are both competing for the one spot. I assume Patty will be the highest ranked Thai.

What I mean is, Ariya is pretty safe, a 19 spot lead in the World Ranking, she could have easily stayed home another week (or two) and enjoyed the win.  Moriya on the other hand needed to play to get the spot back or gain points.  Not sure Ariya's head is really in it this week and why she missed the cut pretty badly.

• Like 2

I don't think Ariya and Moriya can be separated. They haven't played alone in any tournament this season. They both played together in 13 events last year. You have to go back to June 2019 to find a tournament where one of them played, and the other sat out. Ariya played the ShopRite that season, while Moriya played the Meijer. 

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

5 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

I don't think Ariya and Moriya can be separated. They haven't played alone in any tournament this season. They both played together in 13 events last year. You have to go back to June 2019 to find a tournament where one of them played, and the other sat out. Ariya played the ShopRite that season, while Moriya played the Meijer. 

I wonder if it's partly due to sponsorship package deals?   (kinda like an appearance fee lol)... but yes, they're inseparable literally and figuratively, and dare i say, sadly, even through covid 😞 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stooch said:

What I mean is, Ariya is pretty safe, a 19 spot lead in the World Ranking, she could have easily stayed home another week (or two) and enjoyed the win.  

I suspect that some of it has to do with the fact that there is some "economies of scale" in having two people travel together rather than separately.  Potential sharing of a hotel room, one rental car, the reduced tournament fees for family members, and things of that nature.   Otherwise, one sits at home while the other is out on the road.  I am kidding about the family discount for tournament fees though ... just dropped it in to see if anyone would pick up. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Hinako Shibuno is a magician!  She shot -7 with 2 bogeys; she solved two riddles in the process:

1.   She proved her 2019 AIG win is not a fluke
  2.   She proved the course isn't that hard

where was she yesterday and bianca on thursday??!!!! these 2 I’m going to knock their heads against each other (eg Bianca and Hinako) 😂   now I’m waiting for su to join the party (maybe in the future) 😂😂

Edited by HMHS
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow.  Round of the day - 63 (-8) by Italy's Giulia Molinaro!  A blemish free round with 6-birdies and an Eagle on the par 4, 12th hole!   

No relation to Francesco and Edoardo ... who are Molinari's and not Molinaro's.  

As for Brooke ... she has had a horrid experience with the second nine this week!  7-bogeys so far (she still has 18 to play as I write this) against 5 birdies.  It has clearly been the major source of lost strokes for her.  

• Like 1

Yeah, the course was definitely gettable, so no idea what happened to Brooke, Sei Young, and Jessica. Putter bent? Lol. 

• Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

35 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

As for Brooke ... she has had a horrid experience with the second nine this week!  7-bogeys so far (she still has 18 to play as I write this) against 5 birdies.  It has clearly been the major source of lost strokes for her.  

I'd attribute it to sloppy play and bad decisions, she'll be fine her ballstriking is still good.  Combination of the cool putter, loose irons and no touch with her short game, not unexpected after the break, she's just gotta clean it up.  I think many of the bigger names are just trying to hit form before the US Open.  Next week should be interesting in seeing how hard some push it in match play format.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Stooch said:

I'd attribute it to sloppy play and bad decisions, she'll be fine her ballstriking is still good.  Combination of the cool putter, loose irons and no touch with her short game, not unexpected after the break, she's just gotta clean it up.  I think many of the bigger names are just trying to hit form before the US Open.  Next week should be interesting in seeing how hard some push it in match play format.

Golf is fickle, to say the least.  We're talking about shooting 65 yesterday; there've been plenty of 65 or lower, just not by Brooke or Nelly.

I'm pretty sure they'll hold their head high and shrug it off; tomorrow is another day!

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stooch said:

I like Jessica tomorrow, she been playing really good all year. 

I certainly hope you're right; this's Jessica's eleventh year on tour and getting that seventh win will make her life so much sweeter.  With her natural talent, I hope she'll end her career with at least ten wins and one Major.

By the way, her bunker shot at #18 to earn her a final group berth was so exquisite that it should be on all highlight reels.

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 2

Strong finish by Jessica to climb back into it after a slow start. 

Moriya and Jessica both look good going into the final round. 

The players looking for their first win need to play mistake free golf. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Stooch said:

What I mean is, Ariya is pretty safe, a 19 spot lead in the World Ranking, she could have easily stayed home another week (or two) and enjoyed the win.  Moriya on the other hand needed to play to get the spot back or gain points.  Not sure Ariya's head is really in it this week and why she missed the cut pretty badly.

I disagree. They could easily swap places.

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Yeah, the course was definitely gettable, so no idea what happened to Brooke, Sei Young, and Jessica. Putter bent? Lol. 

Sei Young's putting was awful to watch. If you watch her, she spends way more time now staring at the hole and the shot than she does with practice strokes or looking at the ball. I know she is right into this feeling the shot rather than being technical, but it looks like she has taken it way too far. She is also over the ball much longer now, looking for a mental picture that doesn't happen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Raving Shanker said:

Sei Young's putting was awful to watch. If you watch her, she spends way more time now staring at the hole and the shot than she does with practice strokes or looking at the ball. I know she is right into this feeling the shot rather than being technical, but it looks like she has taken it way too far. She is also over the ball much longer now, looking for a mental picture that doesn't happen.

I also noticed she loves to be aggressive and speed of her putts are usually faster than others hence more lip outs, again relative to others... Quite a far cry from SYR and of course, Queenbee

• Like 3

21 hours ago, nosil said:

I hope they pick up the pace from the past 2 days;  5+ hour rounds and lots of calls to the rules officials.  I don't think the LPGA is expecting it to be any faster which is why they went to 3 and started earlier than anticipated.

A complete JOKE.

They said on #15....that Meechai had only hit one shot in the past 27?? minutes...WTH.

I'm furious at my club when it's a 4.5 to 5 hr round watching the 65-75 old golfers shooting well over 100 who have ZERO interest in PoP..... at times hitting 2 golf balls and then hawking balls, etc, etc...and the course has minimum...if many times... no marshals.

Yet on the LPGA the gals seldom look for lost balls and have loops...it's so PATHETIC a 3 ball can't play in 4 hours.

• Like 3

Steady on with the ageism. A group of 70+ guys at my club go off first and get round in 2:50. If one of them can't make it they'll accept a ring in like me. "Do you ever stop to think about your shot?" I asked, panting. "No" was the reply.

But seriously, there is a complete lack of will to address it by the LPGA. I don't think they understand the damage it does to the brand.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Supermilo said:

I also noticed she loves to be aggressive and speed of her putts are usually faster than others hence more lip outs, again relative to others... Quite a far cry from SYR and of course, Queenbee

12 minutes ago, KBong said:

A complete JOKE.

They said on #15....that Meechai had only hit one shot in the past 27?? minutes...WTH.

I'm furious at my club when it's a 4.5 to 5 hr round watching the 65-75 old golfers shooting well over 100 who have ZERO interest in PoP..... at times hitting 2 golf balls and then hawking balls, etc, etc...and the course has minimum...if many times... no marshals.

Yet on the LPGA the gals seldom look for lost balls and have loops...it's so PATHETIC a 3 ball can't play in 4 hours.

Steady on with the ageism. A group of 70+ guys at my club go off first and get round in 2:50. If one of them can't make it they'll accept a ring in like me. "Do you ever stop to think about your shot?" I asked, panting. "No" was the reply.

But seriously, there is a complete lack of will to address it by the LPGA. I don't think they understand the damage it does to the brand.

3 minutes ago, Raving Shanker said:

Yes, most golfers who go off early are basically all RABBITS...that's why they go out early because the dew sweepers want to finish their rounds ASAP.

I'm a twilight member....if you golfed at my club you'd witness 1st hand the lack of interest of most twilight members on PoP.

Our twilight times start pretty early....so right now we have anywhere from up to 8 hours (weekdays) and 7 hours of daylight on weekends if you get the 1st twilight times.....so they need not worry to finish in 4-4.5 hrs at other clubs when twilight starts.

BTW....I'm an old f*rt too at 60.....but I want to play my golf in 4 hrs....but golf is so BUSY here....always has been...even before the pandemic.....so an under 4 hr rd at a public course here is rare.....unless you're dew sweeping..