2021 Pure Silk Championship (May 20 - 23)

9 hours ago, shalsey said:

Talley also has a nice swing and found the center of the club face, but, her treatment of the volunteers was top notch. So impressive, she made a point to thank every single volunteer for giving them the opportunity to play and for putting on the event. Not sure if the ladies lurk here but Emma Talley has a new fan. So refreshing to see such genuine gratitude.

And this is why the LPGA is so much more enjoyable to watch live.....the cameras don't capture how so many of the LPGA pros appreciate the fans and volunteers.

Yes, there are some....not many..... that are not that friendly....one might think they are friendly based on TV...but these pros know when the cameras are around them.

The great thing is that the LPGA pros know they have to SELL their tour and know they can't take their customers (the fans) for granted.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Stooch said:

I'd attribute it to sloppy play and bad decisions, she'll be fine her ballstriking is still good.  Combination of the cool putter, loose irons and no touch with her short game, not unexpected after the break, she's just gotta clean it up.  I think many of the bigger names are just trying to hit form before the US Open.  Next week should be interesting in seeing how hard some push it in match play format.

That's was pretty pathetic to watch the Canadian Princess coming home on the back 9.

She's #1 in GIR's at an impressive 80%....she's gotta be unhappy with herself that's she not finishing in the top 5 or winning more...golf is hard.

Brooke should share the cost of a classified with Lexi and SYK.

Help Wanted Ad

We 3 LPGA pros seek a GREAT putting instructor.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Stooch said:

I like Jessica tomorrow, she been playing really good all year.  Although if she gets slow rolled tomorrow, we'll know the book is out on her lol

On paper...yes....Jess is the clear fav based on the pros that surround her.

But if the LPGA sets up the course like a Pitch & Putt again.....someone with a Sunday 64 can win it.

The LPGA continues to lose creditability neutering the courses.

The course seems like it was playing under 6200 yards on Sat.....for pros hitting it 250+....that's just too EASY.

What a JOKE to make the 18th hole a short par 4 today.

On Thurs and Fri...we saw many doubles & triples on 18...likely from issues off the tee...that stress was taken away on Sat.

I hope they don't shorten the course on Sun....I hope they play it long and tough....I want a winner to go out and win on a challenging setup on Sun.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Raving Shanker said:

Sei Young's putting was awful to watch. If you watch her, she spends way more time now staring at the hole and the shot than she does with practice strokes or looking at the ball. I know she is right into this feeling the shot rather than being technical, but it looks like she has taken it way too far. She is also over the ball much longer now, looking for a mental picture that doesn't happen.

Good point...I too noticed today the SYK was looking and standing over her putts longer that usual

I had already posted on Fri that SYK's putting can be suspect at times...she demonstrated it again on Sat.

34 minutes ago, KBong said:

Yes, most golfers who go off early are basically all RABBITS...that's why they go out early because the dew sweepers want to finish their rounds ASAP.

I'm a twilight member....if you golfed at my club you'd witness 1st hand the lack of interest of most twilight members on PoP.

Our twilight times start pretty early....so right now we have anywhere from up to 8 hours (weekdays) and 7 hours of daylight on weekends if you get the 1st twilight times.....so they need not worry to finish in 4-4.5 hrs at other clubs when twilight starts.

BTW....I'm an old f*rt too at 60.....but I want to play my golf in 4 hrs....but golf is so BUSY here....always has been...even before the pandemic.....so an under 4 hr rd at a public course here is rare.....unless you're dew sweeping..

You poor sad old sod. I'm a youngster myself...being just 59 and 11/12ths.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Supermilo said:

I also noticed she loves to be aggressive and speed of her putts are usually faster than others hence more lip outs, again relative to others... Quite a far cry from SYR and of course, Queenbee

There's an article that states an aggressive putt makes the cup smaller as they have minimal chance dropping into the hole from putts on the cup's edge vs putts that die into the hole....I'm too lazy to search for the article.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If Morgan decides to retire from the LPGA....I hope she's a short listed candidate to replace Paige or Stupples if that were an option.

Paige GIGGLES too much.

Stupples talks too much.

Where are Stupples and Foltzy?....I thought they'd be working this week.

Are they going to work the women's NCAA's and then head to Vegas?

1 hour ago, KBong said:

If Morgan decides to retire from the LPGA....I hope she's a short listed candidate to replace Paige or Stupples if that were an option.

Paige GIGGLES too much.

Stupples talks too much.

Where are Stupples and Foltzy?....I thought they'd be working this week.

Are they going to work the women's NCAA's and then head to Vegas?

I assume Karen and Jerry are covering the NCAA's this week. We'll find out tomorrow.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I guess we shouldn't rule out Lizette making a charge. She's certainly capable of going low here, and she is a past winner at Kingsmill. She's had a poor year with three missed cuts, and a high finish of 21T. She hasn't posted a top 10 since Australia in February 2020. After she came up a shot short at the '19 WBO, losing to Hinako, she finished 3T at her next tournament, but didn't finish in the top 25 after that. 

Ryann is in her 11th season. Sarah is in her 14th. Time flies. Both players don't give themselves many opportunities to win. This could be a chance to break through.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

2 hours ago, KBong said:

On Thurs and Fri...we saw many doubles & triples on 18...likely from issues off the tee...that stress was taken away on Sat.

I hope they don't shorten the course on Sun....I hope they play it long and tough....I want a winner to go out and win on a challenging setup on Sun.

They occasionally shorten 18 on one day of the tournament.   It should be back on the other side today.    They are also making yardage adjustments on other holes; some as much as 30 yards.   They are also playing some tee boxes that they never have before;  3 is a good example; players used to be able to reach in 2 with a good drive;  this year only a couple might be able to reach.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KBong said:

There's an article that states an aggressive putt makes the cup smaller as they have minimal chance dropping into the hole from putts on the cup's edge vs putts that die into the hole....I'm too lazy to search for the article.

It's ok, it sounds logical actually - besides, I'm too lazy to read right now LOL... i can barely keep up here in the forums... There's Formula 1, NBA playoffs, PGA Championship, LPGA at 3pm, wth... Even with recording - I can't keep up 😂

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Raving Shanker said:

Steady on with the ageism. A group of 70+ guys at my club go off first and get round in 2:50. If one of them can't make it they'll accept a ring in like me. "Do you ever stop to think about your shot?" I asked, panting. "No" was the reply.

But seriously, there is a complete lack of will to address it by the LPGA. I don't think they understand the damage it does to the brand.

They do it to themselves to a degree, also.  The reachable par 5 15th and drivable 18th both cause log jams at the end of the course, could be why everyone started on 1, split tees might have caused an even bigger mess. Yealimi Noh got a slow play fines this year, she must have left her ball in the fairway and went to the clubhouse for a sandwich and then came back to hit her shot to get a fine lol.  The LPGA has to give a couple stroke penalties to the players to get them to notice.

Slow playing only really bothers me when I'm at the course caught up in it.  I can deal with it on TV if I don't notice,  maybe use a 30 second delay (no live shots) so you pick it up when the player is ready to actually hit the ball and not have a 1 minute discussion with their caddie, but the LPGA doesn't have enough camera's covering the field to make that doable.

Slow play is a big problem but the thing turning me off the LPGA the most is the dumbing down of the courses, for more scoring.  Yesterday I feel they dumbed the course down so to speak, from the tougher challenge of the first 2 days, although promoting some volatility on moving day doesn't really bother me, its the 4 rounds of easy set up.  I look forward to the LPGA making a drivable par 4 with a windmill and rotating blades covering the hole.  I'm really beginning to despise drivable par 4's lol

• Like 3

4 hours ago, KBong said:

But if the LPGA sets up the course like a Pitch & Putt again.....someone with a Sunday 64 can win it.

The course seems like it was playing under 6200 yards on Sat.....for pros hitting it 250+....that's just too EASY.

lol I basically said the same thing before reading this post, God help us when they make Beth Ann the next Commish 😂

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

It's ok, it sounds logical actually - besides, I'm too lazy to read right now LOL... i can barely keep up here in the forums... There's Formula 1, NBA playoffs, PGA Championship, LPGA at 3pm, wth... Even with recording - I can't keep up 😂

Yeah, crazy weekend and I usually miss all the good action in each event as I'm constantly channel surfing keeping up on all the action, but when you are watching everything you are actually seeing nothing 😂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stooch said:

Yeah, crazy weekend and I usually miss all the good action in each event as I'm constantly channel surfing keeping up on all the action, but when you are watching everything you are actually seeing nothing 😂

well, thankfully, Formula 1 just finished (PGA Championship is still "boring")... it's when LPGA goes on while the PGA is getting to "interesting" levels that it becomes a bit of a cross eyed / double visioned debacle in the making ☺︎    of course, if they show Bianca with Stacey Lewis today live, then everything else is blacked out 😉

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Supermilo said:

well, thankfully, Formula 1 just finished (PGA Championship is still "boring")... it's when LPGA goes on while the PGA is getting to "interesting" levels that it becomes a bit of a cross eyed / double visioned debacle in the making ☺︎    of course, if they show Bianca with Stacey Lewis today live, then everything else is blacked out 😉

If she can get to 4-5 under on her round before the broadcast comes on, Bianca will get some TV time today, if not you'll probably still get to see her in the background of when Stacey shots are being shown 🙂 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, KBong said:

A complete JOKE.

They said on #15....that Meechai had only hit one shot in the past 27?? minutes...WTH.

I'm furious at my club when it's a 4.5 to 5 hr round watching the 65-75 old golfers shooting well over 100 who have ZERO interest in PoP..... at times hitting 2 golf balls and then hawking balls, etc, etc...and the course has minimum...if many times... no marshals.

Yet on the LPGA the gals seldom look for lost balls and have loops...it's so PATHETIC a 3 ball can't play in 4 hours.

Sounds like you're playing at a place like Riverway, Burnaby Mountain or Mayfair Lakes!  Mayfair is only poor at certain times of the day/week though! 

1 hour ago, Stooch said:

If she can get to 4-5 under on her round before the broadcast comes on, Bianca will get some TV time today, if not you'll probably still get to see her in the background of when Stacey shots are being shown 🙂 

they interviewed her after the round yesterday... but so far i haven't come across any posts from the LPGA-- they even interviewed her in Tagalog (eg Filipino) ...  let see if she can get on TV - but first things first, ill be thrilled if she goes -5 before the turn today even if there's no TV time ☺︎

Edit/update: with a double in the par 3 2nd hole, seems like a -5 is a pipe dream already... oh well, she needs to definitely improve her iron play and sand play (in general, not just this tournament)... 

Edited by HMHS
updated it for relevance...
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Supermilo said:

they interviewed her after the round yesterday... but so far i haven't come across any posts from the LPGA-- they even interviewed her in Tagalog (eg Filipino) ...  let see if she can get on TV - but first things first, ill be thrilled if she goes -5 before the turn today even if there's no TV time ☺︎

Edit/update: with a double in the par 3 2nd hole, seems like a -5 is a pipe dream already... oh well, she needs to definitely improve her iron play and sand play (in general, not just this tournament)... 

The interview in Tagalog is not available.  All non-English interviews are not available, it is only for those media that request it.     @Supermilo ... check your email box.

• Thanks 1

On 5/21/2021 at 9:43 AM, Argonne69 said:

They're getting a lot of rollout. It's likely they're hitting approach shots from spots that they've never played from before. 

That should not be a problem though….unless the rollout is getting them into trouble areas.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

10 hours ago, KBong said:

6200 yards is the equivalent of about 7175 men’s yardage. Still too short?   The women typically play much longer courses, relatively, than do the men. As do us amateurs.  That’s using 255 vs 295 yard driving average.

Edited by Shilgy
  • Like 1

Well, they definitely toughened up the course today. Thankfully. Exciting finish coming up. I can't believe Moriya doubled the 15th. Uber brain cramp. Great approach why Wei-Ling to set up the eagle, and the four shot swing. Solid approach on the 16th may seal it for her, but Jessica is also firing darts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shilgy said:

6200 yards is the equivalent of about 7175 men’s yardage. Still too short?   The women typically play much longer courses, relatively, than do the men. As do us amateurs.  That’s using 255 vs 295 yard driving average.

It's not so much the total yardage as the ultra short holes. Take 5 yds off 10 holes and it's not going to do much. 50 yds off one of the par 5s? Could easily drop the hole average by nearly a shot. 

• Like 1

Lol. Wei-Ling looked like she needed CPR after her tee shot on 17 barely made the right side of the green. 

Jessica stuffed it close. 

Sarah looked solid today, but just couldn't get enough putts to drop. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

It's not so much the total yardage as the ultra short holes. Take 5 yds off 10 holes and it's not going to do much. 50 yds off one of the par 5s? Could easily drop the hole average by nearly a shot. 

I get what you are saying  but…. know you are also a shots gained advocate. The gain will be approximately a wash. Take it in little bites or all on one hole. And the men’s tour does the same thing.

• Like 1

Moriya desperately trying to hang in there with a great birdie on 17, but Wei-Ling's par save basically knocked her out of it. 

Jessica needs a birdie on the final hole, along with some help. Fun stuff. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Lol. Wei-Ling looked like she needed CPR after her tee shot on 17 barely made the right side of the green. 

Jessica stuffed it close. 

Sarah looked solid today, but just couldn't get enough putts to drop. 

this is why i believe in the "golf gods".... it was her "time" to win... Congratulations Wei Ling!    Yo-yo rounds but hey, it's cumulative -- I've had my fair share of yo-yo strokes, let alone rounds LOL... 

• Like 1