NJ Private Courses - Central Jersey - Advice?

My fellow golfers, 

New to the forum, but looking for a bit of guidance and perspective, given the investment. I'm 33, and my wife and I are moving to the Chatham, NJ area with our two kids this fall (both under the age of 2). Because I'm absolutely infuriated with how populated the public courses are in the area, I've made the decision to join a private club. I've reached out to most of the private clubs in the area, and have landed on a preliminary ranking, outlined below. For me, I can play any private course and have a great time - but I'm really trying to understand the culture of the clubs themselves, given that this is more of a family investment. I'm looking for a community similar to Echo Lake in Westfield or PCC in Edison (I just know too many at both of these clubs and really want to meet new people who reside in the Chatham/Summit area). 

1. Canoe Brook: The most expensive option by far, but seemingly one of the best run. The Jr. membership initiation is much higher than others, but you get 36 holes and seems to be a really close nit club. It's also a 3-5 minute drive from Chatham. 

2. Brooklake: I love this course - I just think it's beautiful with all of the water. Course also plays extremely quick. Incompetent management, and seems to be more focused on events and weddings to non-members, than making their members happy. Nonetheless, in my opinion, it's an incredible value and not too far from chatham. May not give us the family feel we're looking for - more of a place to get a quick round in, but I could be wrong. Anyone have any perspective? 

3. Essex County Country Club: Great history, great course - but no one seems to be getting back to me regarding membership options, which may be a testament to how it's run. I'm not going to give up on them yet because it seems like a great club. Anyone have any perspective on what it's like being a member there?

4. Spring Brook CC: Interesting place, that seemingly provides decent value - but the clubhouse is kind of old and seems to be in the shadows of Morris County CC. Doesn't seem as close of a club community, but definitely more tight knit than Brooklake. Again, these are surface level assumptions based on the discussions I've had with staff, and the tours that I've been on. 

5. Basking Ridge CC: No initiation fee, reasonable dues - but seems to be a much larger membership base that requires scheduling a t-time. Haven't played the course or been immersed in the club, but seems like it's in decent shape and people enjoy it there. Scheduling a t-time is a huge downside for me, though. 

**Note: Fairmount CC in Chatham is not being considered, as my first interactions with them were unfavorable. Morris County CC also not being considered because their Junior Initiation is the same as the regular - just the dues are slightly lower. MCCC's dues are higher than Canoe Brook, and I don't like it nearly as much. 

For those familiar with any of the clubs mentioned above, I'd be immensely appreciative for any additional insight, guidance, context, and/or experiences as I look to close the loop on this process in the coming months. My gut is telling me to just pay the high initiation fees at Canoe Brook because it seems to check most, if not all, of the boxes and has an awesome membership base. 36 holes ain't bad either!

Thanks in advance everyone. 

1 hour ago, NJBlueDevil21 said:

My fellow golfers, 

New to the forum, but looking for a bit of guidance and perspective, given the investment. I'm 33, and my wife and I are moving to the Chatham, NJ area with our two kids this fall (both under the age of 2). Because I'm absolutely infuriated with how populated the public courses are in the area, I've made the decision to join a private club. I've reached out to most of the private clubs in the area, and have landed on a preliminary ranking, outlined below. For me, I can play any private course and have a great time - but I'm really trying to understand the culture of the clubs themselves, given that this is more of a family investment. I'm looking for a community similar to Echo Lake in Westfield or PCC in Edison (I just know too many at both of these clubs and really want to meet new people who reside in the Chatham/Summit area). 

1. Canoe Brook: The most expensive option by far, but seemingly one of the best run. The Jr. membership initiation is much higher than others, but you get 36 holes and seems to be a really close nit club. It's also a 3-5 minute drive from Chatham. 

2. Brooklake: I love this course - I just think it's beautiful with all of the water. Course also plays extremely quick. Incompetent management, and seems to be more focused on events and weddings to non-members, than making their members happy. Nonetheless, in my opinion, it's an incredible value and not too far from chatham. May not give us the family feel we're looking for - more of a place to get a quick round in, but I could be wrong. Anyone have any perspective? 

3. Essex County Country Club: Great history, great course - but no one seems to be getting back to me regarding membership options, which may be a testament to how it's run. I'm not going to give up on them yet because it seems like a great club. Anyone have any perspective on what it's like being a member there?

4. Spring Brook CC: Interesting place, that seemingly provides decent value - but the clubhouse is kind of old and seems to be in the shadows of Morris County CC. Doesn't seem as close of a club community, but definitely more tight knit than Brooklake. Again, these are surface level assumptions based on the discussions I've had with staff, and the tours that I've been on. 

5. Basking Ridge CC: No initiation fee, reasonable dues - but seems to be a much larger membership base that requires scheduling a t-time. Haven't played the course or been immersed in the club, but seems like it's in decent shape and people enjoy it there. Scheduling a t-time is a huge downside for me, though. 

**Note: Fairmount CC in Chatham is not being considered, as my first interactions with them were unfavorable. Morris County CC also not being considered because their Junior Initiation is the same as the regular - just the dues are slightly lower. MCCC's dues are higher than Canoe Brook, and I don't like it nearly as much. 

For those familiar with any of the clubs mentioned above, I'd be immensely appreciative for any additional insight, guidance, context, and/or experiences as I look to close the loop on this process in the coming months. My gut is telling me to just pay the high initiation fees at Canoe Brook because it seems to check most, if not all, of the boxes and has an awesome membership base. 36 holes ain't bad either!

Canoe Brook I hear is amazing. It is definitely the most expensive of all the options.

I have not played any of the courses you listed, but based on history, rankings, etc. Essex County Country Club would be the best option. I can double check but I believe there initiation was $35k and dues are $1,000 month, prior to caddies, carts, etc. Shoot me a DM and I can let you know.

I visited Spring Brook, Essex County and Basking Ridge.

Basking Ridge is by far the cheapest, but it is not as glamorous as the others mentioned. I believe their restaurant is open to the public, so that could be a reason why dues are a little lower.

Essex County was really nice, as well as Spring Brook. It is a shame you are not considering Morris County. I played there a few years ago and I loved it. Same with Echo Lake, as you mentioned earlier.

I would check out Roxiticus as well in Mendham. A really neat course and the members I golfed with were great. They seem to have a mix of different ages as well.

Funny you mention that about Fairmount. I hear there nickname is UnFairmount, lol.

Good luck in your search and if you need a 4th, shoot me a DM.

3 hours ago, NJgolfer11 said:

Canoe Brook I hear is amazing. It is definitely the most expensive of all the options.

I have not played any of the courses you listed, but based on history, rankings, etc. Essex County Country Club would be the best option. I can double check but I believe there initiation was $35k and dues are $1,000 month, prior to caddies, carts, etc. Shoot me a DM and I can let you know.

I visited Spring Brook, Essex County and Basking Ridge.

Basking Ridge is by far the cheapest, but it is not as glamorous as the others mentioned. I believe their restaurant is open to the public, so that could be a reason why dues are a little lower.

Essex County was really nice, as well as Spring Brook. It is a shame you are not considering Morris County. I played there a few years ago and I loved it. Same with Echo Lake, as you mentioned earlier.

I would check out Roxiticus as well in Mendham. A really neat course and the members I golfed with were great. They seem to have a mix of different ages as well.

Funny you mention that about Fairmount. I hear there nickname is UnFairmount, lol.

Good luck in your search and if you need a 4th, shoot me a DM.

Echo Lake is my home course - I grew up in Westfield, and played the course a ton with friends and their family. Echo Lake's membership base is relatively small, so I just felt like I was going to invest in a club for the next 20+ years, it'd be great to meet new people and be immersed in a different community. That said, it's still tempting! I love that club. 

Morris County is exceptional, but it's initiation fee is $50K, regardless if you're a junior or a regular member. Canoe Brook's junior membership initiation fee is $40K, with the option to pay it off over 4 years. So my thinking was, if I like Canoe Brook more, and it's cheaper, why even consider MCCC. 

Definitely interested in Essex County - would love to get your thoughts on what you thought from your tour about the club and its membership base. It's really strange - but they simply refuse to get back to me. It's baffling - I think all these clubs would be doing everything possible to acquire new members. 

Spring Brook is interesting - I feel like it's not talked about at all. Also interesting, they gave me a tour, but they won't share pricing with me unless I'm serious about moving forward. They want to link me up with some current members, who will share fee information. I thought it was a bit strange, but every club has its process. I'll DM you to get some more details on their pricing. 

As for Fairmount - I heard through the grapevine they were littered in debt. Their initial impression made me feel like I was beneath them; they made it seem like they were like Liberty in Jersey City, which is far from the case. My whole first discussion was just really surprising - and it left such a bad taste in my mouth. I get these clubs can be pretentious, but I thought Chatham would be a bit more...laid back in their approach to membership. The only reason I could think of is that Fairmount is a VERY Chatham-oriented club. Maybe because I haven't moved yet, they weren't willing to be more accommodating. I heard from somewhere that 85-90% of their members live in Chatham. That's a really high concentration for a club in that area. 

I'll definitely check out that club in Mendham! Thanks for the suggestion. 

56 minutes ago, brian_0720 said:

I'm a similar age to you and just moved to West Orange and was faced with a similar decision. Went with Crestmont Country Club because it seemed laid back, was close to where I lived, and had a generous under 40 discount. If you're at all interested, feel free to email me brian.benns at hey.com 

Yeah I had a quick look at Crestmont, but I believe I didn't pursue it because I read that it's a predominately jewish club. Is that actually the case still? Have you enjoyed your experience thus far? 

Edited by NJBlueDevil21

17 hours ago, NJBlueDevil21 said:

Definitely interested in Essex County - would love to get your thoughts on what you thought from your tour about the club and its membership base. It's really strange - but they simply refuse to get back to me. It's baffling - I think all these clubs would be doing everything possible to acquire new members. 

Can't comment on this club specifically, but I don't think any club is hurting for members right now, and if they are that would concern me. A lot of the clubs I know didn't really plan for the golf boom of 2020/2021, let in too many new members, and now have issues with members not being able to get tee times.

For example, my club's waitlist increased by >500% in the last 12 months. They are now even requiring a 10% deposit on the initiation fee just to get your name on the waitlist. 

17 hours ago, NJBlueDevil21 said:

Yeah I had a quick look at Crestmont, but I believe I didn't pursue it because I read that it's a predominately jewish club. Is that actually the case still? Have you enjoyed your experience thus far? 

It is. I actually had no idea that was the case when I joined and I'm not Jewish lol. It hasn't really affected my experience other than a few guys I think assuming I was Jewish. I guess since I'm completely new to country clubs in general I have no idea if I'll come to regret it or not but so far so good. 

1 hour ago, Abh159 said:

Can't comment on this club specifically, but I don't think any club is hurting for members right now, and if they are that would concern me. A lot of the clubs I know didn't really plan for the golf boom of 2020/2021, let in too many new members, and now have issues with members not being able to get tee times.

For example, my club's waitlist increased by >500% in the last 12 months. They are now even requiring a 10% deposit on the initiation fee just to get your name on the waitlist. 

That's really interesting. A few of the clubs I spoke to said they're really trying to increase junior memberships. One club in particular is waiving the entire initiation fee if I join in 2021. What some of the clubs told me was that # of rounds went up amongst members, but not necessarily # memberships. My suspicion is that this likely depends on the club itself and the costs. ECCC is known to be a fairly affordable club for the quality, so you're statement is probably right - I bet a ton of people who moved out of the NYC area during Covid and moved to CNJ looked at ECCC as a really great option and joined. 

Do you mind sharing what club you're a member at? 

Thanks for the perspective and the commentary - it's really helpful and something I didn't think about. Still disappointed about ECCC though!

10 minutes ago, NJBlueDevil21 said:

That's really interesting. A few of the clubs I spoke to said they're really trying to increase junior memberships. One club in particular is waiving the entire initiation fee if I join in 2021. What some of the clubs told me was that # of rounds went up amongst members, but not necessarily # memberships. My suspicion is that this likely depends on the club itself and the costs. ECCC is known to be a fairly affordable club for the quality, so you're statement is probably right - I bet a ton of people who moved out of the NYC area during Covid and moved to CNJ looked at ECCC as a really great option and joined. 

Do you mind sharing what club you're a member at? 

Thanks for the perspective and the commentary - it's really helpful and something I didn't think about. Still disappointed about ECCC though!

I'm not in Central NJ (or NJ at all for that matter 🤣) so my example using my club was more "overall state of private golf" example and not specific to the courses in your immediate area.

A question I would be asking as you tour these clubs and talk to the membership directors: How many members to they currently have (golf specifically) and what is their maximum allotment for memberships?

In my experience, anything over 350-400 per 18 holes can make it really hard to get tee times. Lets just say a course does tee times from 7 am - 5pm and does them in 10 minutes increments. That leaves about 60 tee times per day. Even if every single group is a foursome it's still only 240 players per day (10 hours x 6 tee times per hour x 4 players). That's not even including anyone who may have a guest(s) or all of the non-foursome groups. Is every member going to play every day? Of course not, but even if just 50% of them (with a 350 member base) play that isn't leaving a lot of room on the tee sheet.

I've heard from a bunch of people recently that they joined a club only to then find out they had a hard time getting a tee time so I wouldn't want you to fall victim to that as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OP, I haven't played all of these but here are a couple of thoughts:

Canoe Brook - great club, and extremely family friendly.  If you think the kids and wife will use the club, this is a fantastic setup with a good course and a very family-friendly environment.

Essex County - easily the best course on this list (IMO).  Maybe the best group of par 3's in the state.  If you're a golf degenerate and don't think the wife and kids will use the club much, this is a great spot.  Can't speak to family friendliness, but men's grill vibe is a-ok.

TM M1 9.5* Kuro Kage XT70 X
TM M2 Deep 16.7* Kuro Kage XT80 X
PXG 0317 19* Kuro Kage 80HY TX
Mizuno MP64 4-PW C-Taper S
Vokey SM5 50-55-60 C-Taper S
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Are golfers still joining country clubs? With high initiation fee (35K-50K)? I would be able to play every course in NJ, NY and CT. Document the course and write the experience. Hence my goals are different. 

Atlantic City Country Club

Twisted dunes

Harbor Pines

Seaview resort - Bay course

When you have this many public/resort golf course, is it worth joining a CC to play 18 holes over and over?

Edited by silverbackster

14 minutes ago, silverbackster said:

Are golfers still joining country clubs? With high initiation fee (35K-50K)? I would be able to play every course in NJ, NY and CT. Document the course and write the experience. Hence my goals are different. 

Atlantic City Country Club

Twisted dunes

Harbor Pines

Seaview resort - Bay course

When you have this many public/resort golf course, is it worth joining a CC to play 18 holes over and over?

Not only are these places probably over an hour from where the OP resides, they are public, which I assume per the OP's post isn't what he is looking for.

On 6/11/2021 at 9:39 AM, mh8587 said:

Any thoughts on Shackamaxon? Not in the mix because it would be too close to Westfield/where you grew up? I've been mulling a similar decision and have been checking on Shackamaxon for their junior membership. Echo Lake is out of my price range but I live near both.

They put in a pool a few years ago and it is really nice.

The dues are about as good as you are going to get in that neck of the woods. Personally, it was not my favorite course. Suburban is a better course IMO, but it is golf only.

Check out Metuchen Golf $ Country Club. Awesome course, but no true driving range. Beautiful pool area as well. I still get emails waiving an initiation fee and all.

I didn't realize Shackamaxon was bought by Heritage a few months ago, so some of the details I had about pricing and membership levels has changed slightly. The pricing still looks good but they seem to have done away with the House membership coming with 8 rounds of golf per year. That is a nice middle ground for me where I'm at right now with young kids. I get those emails from Metuchen, too. They seem to have a preview membership with no initiation for 2 years. That's also intriguing and not too far from where I live. 

• 1 month later...

I have had the opportunity to play Canoe Brook on a few occasions as one of my former bosses is a member. The courses themselves are great, but that is topped by the atmosphere which is incredible. The outdoor dining and bar scene is fantastic and the club seems to be really family friendly. Would definitely recommend if you are close enough to use the club often and can afford it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/26/2021 at 11:36 AM, NJBlueDevil21 said:

My fellow golfers, 

Which did you choose?