2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Bushnell Launch Pro Device with Foresight

Curious if anyone sees a future (or has read/heard anything) re: a more fully functional iOS app for games/simulation? I have a buddy that has a BLP, and it’s obviously incredible, but the computer requirement is both costly and so much more inconvenient than something like skytrak/Mevo with iOS apps. Any opinions?

21 hours ago, statepgm said:

Curious if anyone sees a future (or has read/heard anything) re: a more fully functional iOS app for games/simulation? I have a buddy that has a BLP, and it’s obviously incredible, but the computer requirement is both costly and so much more inconvenient than something like skytrak/Mevo with iOS apps. Any opinions?

As much as I would like to see that, I also realize the shortcomings of their current software and hope they will address those issues first.  While it may be nice to simulate on an iPad I don’t think it would be very convenient and there are plenty of cheaper/used gaming laptops that can run FSX 2020 IMO.  I played on a small tv until I got a projector and screen and it was a blast but I’m not sure playing on an iPad screen would be as much fun.

Edited by kwettig

Recently got the BLP and am using it mostly outside in my hitting net and at the range.  No SIM setup.  One thing I've noticed that's really annoying to me is that screen "scrolls" from Page 1 to Page 2 of the data every 2-3 seconds.  There doesn't seem to be any way to keep the BLP from going to the next screen.  If I hold my finger on the screen it still moves to next page.  I find this incredibly frustrating to try to interpret the data when it keeps flipping to the next page.  

Any work arounds?  

Thanks.  

9 hours ago, check4spin said:

Recently got the BLP and am using it mostly outside in my hitting net and at the range.  No SIM setup.  One thing I've noticed that's really annoying to me is that screen "scrolls" from Page 1 to Page 2 of the data every 2-3 seconds.  There doesn't seem to be any way to keep the BLP from going to the next screen.  If I hold my finger on the screen it still moves to next page.  I find this incredibly frustrating to try to interpret the data when it keeps flipping to the next page.  

Any work arounds?  

Thanks.  

It will flip back again, but takes a few seconds. 
Use the FSX Performance app on your phone. 
All the info is there too.

So, I was finally able to switch the subscription to the new device and I took it to the range. Weather was nice and I wanted to see how the device did in the range scenario. I was planning on using it mainly for that purpose. Heres what I found out...

- disconnected from my iPad several times during the 90min session. That required me to connect the BLP to my phone hotspot and the connect the iPad to my phone hotspot as well. It would only connect successfully when I power cycled the device and restarted the FSX Pro app. What am I doing wrong? Why cant this device connect via bluetooth? It has the icon, but it doesnt show up on any device. 

- Missed a lot of shots, which I was frustrated with. I have the supplied club market on all my drivers and it seems to just miss a lot. 

- Ball speeds seemed to read really low compared to the trackman ive been using at my country club. The balls at my CC are "nicer", but they shouldn't be reading 10+mph faster. 

- Distances seemed to be somewhat accurate, but ball flight on the iPad (FSX Pro) vs. what it was actually doing was spotty at times. 

Im wondering if this is the right device for me. Im essentially only using it to see accurate swing speed, ball speed, spin, carry and total at an outdoor range to work on my long driving. The rest of the stuff is not as critical to me right now.

Would a radar based set up be better for someone like me thats pushing 140+ swing speeds and 210+ ball speeds? Maybe the Full Swing Kit?

Something im thinking about now after reading more about this is Bushnell suggests having the LP about 1" HIGHER than the ball you are striking. If im teeing the ball up (3"+), would that be something I should look into in regards to it reading more consistency? The other thing im thinking is that my drivers are all polished black painted finish all around it other than the very bottom. Could that have something to do with it not picking up Club head speeds consistently?

Edited by BobLawbla

10 hours ago, BobLawbla said:

So, I was finally able to switch the subscription to the new device and I took it to the range. Weather was nice and I wanted to see how the device did in the range scenario. I was planning on using it mainly for that purpose. Heres what I found out...

- disconnected from my iPad several times during the 90min session. That required me to connect the BLP to my phone hotspot and the connect the iPad to my phone hotspot as well. It would only connect successfully when I power cycled the device and restarted the FSX Pro app. What am I doing wrong? Why cant this device connect via bluetooth? It has the icon, but it doesnt show up on any device. 

- Missed a lot of shots, which I was frustrated with. I have the supplied club market on all my drivers and it seems to just miss a lot. 

- Ball speeds seemed to read really low compared to the trackman ive been using at my country club. The balls at my CC are "nicer", but they shouldn't be reading 10+mph faster. 

- Distances seemed to be somewhat accurate, but ball flight on the iPad (FSX Pro) vs. what it was actually doing was spotty at times. 

Im wondering if this is the right device for me. Im essentially only using it to see accurate swing speed, ball speed, spin, carry and total at an outdoor range to work on my long driving. The rest of the stuff is not as critical to me right now.

Would a radar based set up be better for someone like me thats pushing 140+ swing speeds and 210+ ball speeds? Maybe the Full Swing Kit?

Something im thinking about now after reading more about this is Bushnell suggests having the LP about 1" HIGHER than the ball you are striking. If im teeing the ball up (3"+), would that be something I should look into in regards to it reading more consistency? The other thing im thinking is that my drivers are all polished black painted finish all around it other than the very bottom. Could that have something to do with it not picking up Club head speeds consistently?

As far as connection is concerned I believe you would sign into FSX Pro(I only did this once) then switch the WiFi to the internal signal from the BLP.  For my GC3 it is in the WiFi list as GC3(serial number) and the password is FSSPORTS.  As far as speeds are concerned I had no issues Friday evening on tee shots but I only hit 134ss and 194bs so I’m not sure about your speeds.  I know there’s quite a few long drive guys that use quad so I wouldn’t think there would be a big issue with the BLP/GC3 but perhaps it’s not as accurate at really high speeds.  

11 hours ago, BobLawbla said:

Oh interesting, if you're using those super high tees it would make sense that it would essentially emulate the same effect as having the LP set on the ground below the mat.

1 hour ago, whumber said:

Oh interesting, if you're using those super high tees it would make sense that it would essentially emulate the same effect as having the LP set on the ground below the mat.

That’s a good point.  I wonder if that’s more of a issue locking onto the ball than anything because the launch angle is still much lower than say a wedge.  Still something to consider.  I might make a little board to put under as the ground on the range can be a bit uneven as well for the devices small footprint.

Edit: Must have not gone far enough back. Reading on BLP reviews / questions that it will be available in June for BLP. 

Checking back in after a few months... any updates on FSX Play with BLP?  Tried a search and looked back several pages and didnt see anything.  

I'm pulling the trigger this week for my sim but still torn on BLP vs GC3... could be a coincidence but majority of issues I seem to read about are BLP related.  My setup will use GSPro mainly but I'm nervous about the BLP not being a supported device.  I realize you can use it but there appears to be anxiety about Foresight shutting that down.  Would hate to be left without GSPro ability and potentially no FSX Play.  But saving 4-5K on the LM would allow me to upgrade other items in my build... any help is appreciated!

Edited by Retsof2021

4 hours ago, icemann9 said:

Kleydejong - thanks for posting your experience.  I’ve been following this topic for awhile and was looking for user feedback using just the basic subscription.  Do you just use the data on the BLP, or do you connect to an iPhone/iPad at all?

Hope more people share their experiences.  

I have been using it just on screen, no iPad or any device.  So my feedback is more shot to shot, not as much the average of the last 10 shots.  I can see that being useful and would like to explore it. 

A few other random thoughts.

Battery life has been quite good.  I think I got 3 full rounds of golf on one charge. 

One thing I noticed is that on the basic package the barometer appears to be locked.  So all my numbers are at sea level.  Perhaps not as accurate as I don't live on the coast.  I wish that were not feature locked as its more related to accuracy than adding a feature.

I have not dug into any club data.  I think the basic just does clubhead data.  I feel ball speed is perhaps a better number anyways.  It feels like a pain to put a sticker on a club for my use case.

Driver - Cobra LTDx LS - 8*

Woods - Cobra LTDx 14*

Hybrids - Ping G425 19, 22, 26, 30

Irons - Maltby KE4 Max 8-GW

Wedges - Maltby TSW 54, 60

Putter - Scotty Cameron Futura X Armlock

My WITB Shenanigans

16 hours ago, Retsof2021 said:

Edit: Must have not gone far enough back. Reading on BLP reviews / questions that it will be available in June for BLP. 

Checking back in after a few months... any updates on FSX Play with BLP?  Tried a search and looked back several pages and didnt see anything.  

I'm pulling the trigger this week for my sim but still torn on BLP vs GC3... could be a coincidence but majority of issues I seem to read about are BLP related.  My setup will use GSPro mainly but I'm nervous about the BLP not being a supported device.  I realize you can use it but there appears to be anxiety about Foresight shutting that down.  Would hate to be left without GSPro ability and potentially no FSX Play.  But saving 4-5K on the LM would allow me to upgrade other items in my build... any help is appreciated!

I like knowing that I own the software and don’t have to pay a subscription every year.  I imagine I’ll have this for a lot longer than the 5 year break even so I’m glad I went with GC3.  I could possibly see upgrading to the quad if my finances will allow it in a couple years.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kwettig said:

I like knowing that I own the software and don’t have to pay a subscription every year.  I imagine I’ll have this for a lot longer than the 5 year break even so I’m glad I went with GC3.  I could possibly see upgrading to the quad if my finances will allow it in a couple years.  

Plus blue is better than orange.

9 hours ago, kwettig said:

I agree with this, however a fully unlocked BLP is cheaper than a GC3. (Taxed only on the $2,995 not the $7,499 and free shipping vs $95 for the GC3). With FSX play coming out in June, the unlocked BLP and the GC3 are the same unit except the BLP is about $600 cheaper. 

Just food for thought

Edited by No_Ugos
My phones autocorrect hates me
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hopefully the final update on my BLP journey…

Looks like the unit is not the issue in 99% of my problems currently. It’s simply the mat (I feel silly even admitting this haha). The mat is shifting ever so slightly, which gives a false or no read. I figured this out after talking to the support team while at the range during a swing session. Since then I have set it up against the trackman at my club and the numbers are nearly identical. It even does a very good job at reading high swing speeds. As I was speeding up in the session it followed right along with the trackman within .1-.2mph. Peak was 148.2 on trackman and 148 on BLP. 

I’m finally getting to enjoy this thing and the fact that it’s keeping up with a device that’s almost 8x it’s cost is amazing. 

• Like 3

On 5/24/2022 at 5:06 PM, icemann9 said:

I was looking for user feedback using just the basic subscription.  Do you just use the data on the BLP, or do you connect to an iPhone/iPad at all?

Hope more people share their experiences.  

I use mine with basic subscription at the range. I find it super useful - all the key data is on the screen, speed, carry, spin, path. You know exactly how good a swing you made and what happens when you work to change it. 

I do not use the apps because they are really hard to use with the disconnects and just general crappyness. I’ve said before in this thread that it’s ridiculous that Foresight can’t deliver a decent iOS app for the incredible hardware they have when junk like the Mevo and Rapsodo have very good apps. If the apps were decent I’d probably buy the full subscription but I don’t need to be messing with this stuff when I’m practicing. 

9 hours ago, gripz said:

I use mine with basic subscription at the range. I find it super useful - all the key data is on the screen, speed, carry, spin, path. You know exactly how good a swing you made and what happens when you work to change it. 

I do not use the apps because they are really hard to use with the disconnects and just general crappyness. I’ve said before in this thread that it’s ridiculous that Foresight can’t deliver a decent iOS app for the incredible hardware they have when junk like the Mevo and Rapsodo have very good apps. If the apps were decent I’d probably buy the full subscription but I don’t need to be messing with this stuff when I’m practicing. 

Thanks for sharing.  I like reading these types of reviews as this is how I would use this unit.  Ideally I’d like iOS to be more stable.  What holds me back from full unlock/subscription is the pc hardware needed, which is just additional money I don’t want to spend.  

How are you using this if it always needs to see WiFi? I’m debating between Mevo+, full swing and this. I wouldn’t have any WiFi on the range or practice hole. Use your phone as  a hot spot ? Whole subscription thing irritates me. Spend 3k on a product and can’t even use it unless you buy subscription?  Anyone else debating between the 3?

2 hours ago, backspace1 said:

How are you using this if it always needs to see WiFi? I’m debating between Mevo+, full swing and this. I wouldn’t have any WiFi on the range or practice hole. Use your phone as  a hot spot ? Whole subscription thing irritates me. Spend 3k on a product and can’t even use it unless you buy subscription?  Anyone else debating between the 3?

I’m with you, at least picking between BLP or Mevo+.   I like BLP accuracy, but just limited data at basic.  Mevo+ seems to have user friendly software and many datapoints, but question the accuracy.  

18 hours ago, gripz said:

I do have a question for those that just use basic BLP and use the onscreen device at the range.  Once you are done, can you retrieve all swing data to review at a later time online?  Is each swing saving, or wiped after each shot if only using the device?  

4 hours ago, backspace1 said:

You can use the BLP without wifi. You only need wifi for hooking up to an iPad or pc. You don’t need it for reading the numbers off the unit. 

4 hours ago, icemann9 said:

I do have a question for those that just use basic BLP and use the onscreen device at the range.  Once you are done, can you retrieve all swing data to review at a later time online?  Is each swing saving, or wiped after each shot if only using the device?  

You need to connect it to the iPad or some sort of unit that is connected to FSX live. When you close the FSX live session, it uploads everything to the cloud. So if you have the unit alone at the range (don’t connect to phone or anything) nothing will save 

41 minutes ago, backspace1 said:

Thank you, so does the unit work without subscription if only using the unit itself ? 

Yes you can use the unit without paying anything. 

the subscriptions are only to get data on external sources such as iPad, and PC. 

you can take the unit anywhere and always get the following information on the unit screen: 

Ball Speed 

club speed 

efficiency (smash factor)

launch angle (vertical)

launch angle (horizontal)

Carry 

side spin 

back spin 

Angle of attack. 

more information is available with subscription and seeing the data on the external sources (such as height, land angle, etc).