Iron shaft alternatives?

Sneau

5 hours ago, Sneau said:

I was recently fitted into the Accra iseries steel shaft 105g at club champion with Srixon zx5 heads. 

I’m wondering is there a big difference between the accra shafts and some of the options offered through from Srixon (eg. NS pro modus3 105 / kbs c-taper lite)? 

Thanks for any help/advice 

Why did you get fit and then not buy what performed the best? Accra steel shafts are constant taper at the top and stepped at the bottom. No other shaft on the market is like them. 

• Haha 1

Titleist TSi3 w/Oban Kiyoshi White 6X 
Titleist TSi2 15 degree w/Accra TZ6 75 M5

Titleist TSi2 21 degree w/Accra TZ6 75 M5 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 w/KBS TGI 110 (SS 1x) @1/2" over standard

Srixon ZX7 7-PW w/KBS TGI 110 (SS 1x) @1/2" over standard
Titleist Vokey SM8 Raw 50/54/58 KBS TGI 110 (SS 1x) @1/2" over standard
Toulon Las Vegas custom w/BGT Tour 

13 minutes ago, Sneau said:

I haven’t made a final decision yet. It was more of a question of cost v performance, as the Accra shafts added $500 to the quoted cost

You saw the difference in the fitting.

I have been on this messageboard for almost 15 years and I still can't figure out why anyone would go get fit for the best performing equipment and then buy something different than what performed the best.

5 minutes ago, liveagua said:

You saw the difference in the fitting.

I have been on this messageboard for almost 15 years and I still can't figure out why anyone would go get fit for the best performing equipment and then buy something different than what performed the best.

Because it's club champion....kings of "here you need this Accra, we're gonna mark it up 50% and charge you to pure it, even though we claim it's ultra-high quality"

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mcounci2 said:

Because it's club champion....kings of "here you need this Accra, we're gonna mark it up 50% and charge you to pure it, even though we claim it's ultra-high quality"

Ok, this nonsense has got to stop. I have been fit at Club Champion, SST Puring is an optional service, stop acting like someone held a gun to your head.

As far as ultra high quality goes, tires claim they are ultra high quality, but they still need to be balanced before you can drive away with your new set. Then you have to balance them every 7500 miles, which will cost you up front or on the back end. Then you have to replace them every 45k-60k. Either way you are paying for it. It isn't free. If you don't like SST Puring, then don't get it. But don't act like they wouldn't let you leave without paying for it. 

When I was there, I asked my fitter about their shaft prices, because they seemed high to me. He told me that they have a $35 installation added into every shaft. Then he listed the things that are included in that $35 fee on my fitting sheet. 

-Building the irons to the exact specs 

-Lifetime loft/lie adjustments 

-if there is a manufacturer defect, they manage the warranty process, including paying for all shipping to and from the manufacturer

-They guarantee the performance of the clubs. 

You see it costs money to do all of those things. Manufacturers are cutting corners everywhere they can. Sorry, but it's true. Yet I never see anyone complaining about the clubs they ordered from a manufacturer, despite all of the errors I see when I work on those clubs. You know what I don't see from Club Champion builds? Wrong swingweights. Wrong loft/lie specs. Wrong length specs. Guess what happens if I do find they are off, I tell the customer to go back to CC and get them to fix it. CC fixes it. Take them back to the manufacturer and see where that gets you. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Sneau said:

Yeah, I understand where you’re coming from and agree with you. But I’m also a bit new to the game and didn’t do a great job keeping track of what I hit / didn’t hit.

There were also some generally close contenders to what we settled on. So was just looking for more info in my post. 

I would discuss those contenders with your fitter to see if there is a cheaper option, that fits into your budget better. I can tell you that Accra steel is right in the middle of the market. They are also the only steel shaft that I could ever play. I have terrible tendonitis in my forearms and hands, Accra steel doesn't hurt my hands and forearms as bad as other steel. I switched to graphite about 8 years ago and haven't looked back. 

If you can afford it, go with the recommendation. Nippon 105 doesn't feel anything like Accra (not in a bad way, they are just very different designs).

If it isn't in the budget, I get it. Money is tight for a lot of people. But a club fitting is simply a means to an end. It's a lot of fun, believe me, I do it every day, all day. It's a blast to fit so many different types of golfers. But we are still trying to find the very best performing clubs for your game, so that you can enjoy it more. Golf is one of the only things that you don't have to be good at, in order to enjoy it. But if you are good at it it is even more fun!

I have been fitting for over 10 years and building clubs for over 25 years. I hope that whatever you decide to do, you enjoy the game of golf more. It is such a great sport, especially with well fit golf clubs. I love to see my clients' playing their best golf and having a blast doing it. I hope you see your scores drop and you are able to enjoy the game even more. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, mcounci2 said:

So why does club champion have both a build fee and a supremely marked-up shaft? And why don't I get to keep the original shafts from the clubs I order?  It's not so much that any one of these items is bad, but add them all together and you start to go hmmmmmm.....

They aren't marked up. They are full retail. I already explained that to you. You just aren't able to accept that reality, because it doesn't fit your beliefs. It doesn't make it any less true. 

If you want shafts from the manufacturer, then order them from the manufacturer and then get them rebuilt by your clubmaker of choice. But you are trying to force CC to do business the way YOU want them to do business, that isn't how the free market works. If you don't want to do business with them, that is your right. But impugning a business reputation because you can't afford to do business with them or because you don't like the way they choose to do business,  is reprehensible. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, liveagua said:

They aren't marked up. They are full retail. I already explained that to you. You just aren't able to accept that reality, because it doesn't fit your beliefs. It doesn't make it any less true. 

If you want shafts from the manufacturer, then order them from the manufacturer and then get them rebuilt by your clubmaker of choice. But you are trying to force CC to do business the way YOU want them to do business, that isn't how the free market works. If you don't want to do business with them, that is your right. But impugning a business reputation because you can't afford to do business with them or because you don't like the way they choose to do business,  is reprehensible. 

They're absolutely not full retail.  But, if you need to tell yourself that to validate the purchase you made, rock on.  I know how to weigh and glue things so I don't need club champion, but I also feel obligated to point out that unless you have literal money to burn, there are better options.  I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree that Club Champion preys on rich people at best and are straight up charlatans at worst. 

• Like 1

Guys agree with the OP on this one. Was just fitted at Club Champion and Accra steel 115 was the best shaft for me. They are charging the full price of the irons, plus $70 for the shafts, $30 for puring, and they are marking up the grips $4 each.  It was a $2200 price quote. The Accra shafts are $35 MAP.  

Check with Fairway Jockey. Was about 40% less for the same build, including puring. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/28/2021 at 9:56 AM, Sneau said:

I was recently fitted into the Accra iseries steel shaft 105g at club champion with Srixon zx5 heads. 

I’m wondering is there a big difference between the accra shafts and some of the options offered through from Srixon (eg. NS pro modus3 105 / kbs c-taper lite)? 

Thanks for any help/advice 

The 105g is basically regular flex and can be hard or soft stepped to your needs....they make the 115g as their stiff and the 125g as their X ......I'm using the 105g in my irons and can't get enough of the feel, flight and consistency ......with a price that's competitive 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HateTheHighDraw said:

that’s correct, but it doesn’t mean the golfer should accept unconscionable mark ups

I'm pointing out that winding up with a far pricier result than expected means it wasn't actually a proper fitting. Because the budget was not discussed. I am NOT defending CC here, but I wasn't necessarily trying to bash them. But, while we're on the topic of unconscionable markups, I think back to another CC post where the guy bought new Srixons with the stock shaft offering and the sale sheet shows the original assembled clubs at full retail, PLUS shafts at full retail, plus the pureing and whatnot. I couldn't sleep at night working like that. It's disgusting and there is no defense, although some will try. 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, bnperrone said:

I'm pointing out that winding up with a far pricier result than expected means it wasn't actually a proper fitting. Because the budget was not discussed. I am NOT defending CC here, but I wasn't necessarily trying to bash them. But, while we're on the topic of unconscionable markups, I think back to another CC post where the guy bought new Srixons with the stock shaft offering and the sale sheet shows the original assembled clubs at full retail, PLUS shafts at full retail, plus the pureing and whatnot. I couldn't sleep at night working like that. It's disgusting and there is no defense, although some will try. 

that’s exactly what I’m referring to. I was quoted by Club Champion $1099 for the Cobra King Forged Tec Irons (which is the MAP with stock shafts) PLUS $70/shaft for the Accra’s (which are $35/shaft each MAP) PLUS $30/shaft for Puring PLUS $18.99 each for grips (which are $14.99 MAP). This came out to over $2,200 for the set with a 10 week lead time.  And this is after paying $150 for a fitting for which there is no credit toward purchase. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, HateTheHighDraw said:

that’s exactly what I’m referring to. I was quoted by Club Champion $1099 for the Cobra King Forged Tec Irons (which is the MAP with stock shafts) PLUS $70/shaft for the Accra’s (which are $35/shaft each MAP) PLUS $30/shaft for Puring PLUS $18.99 each for grips (which are $14.99 MAP). This came out to over $2,200 for the set with a 10 week lead time.  And this is after paying $150 for a fitting for which there is no credit toward purchase. 

Yeah, you're describing their normal everyday sale. This other one I'm talking about was even worse. The shafts he fit into and purchased with his Srixons were THE STOCK SHAFT! So he paid for a fully built stock iron set with stock shafts and grips and then paid full retail FOR THOSE SAME stock shafts and whatever grip he chose, plus all the fees and all. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bnperrone said:

Yeah, you're describing their normal everyday sale. This other one I'm talking about was even worse. The shafts he fit into and purchased with his Srixons were THE STOCK SHAFT! So he paid for a fully built stock iron set with stock shafts and grips and then paid full retail FOR THOSE SAME stock shafts and whatever grip he chose, plus all the fees and all. 

Oh, haha, wow. Terrible. 

Like the other poster liveagua mentioned, the $70 for the Accra shaft included $35 for the shaft and $35 for putting the clubs together (Shaft, head, grip) with lifetime loft, lie adjustment.  They are not selling you the shaft for $70.

• Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym TD 9, Autoflex 505.

Callaway Paradym TD 15, Autoflex 505X.

TSR2 7 wood, Ventus TR 6S.
Paradym X 5 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym X 6 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym AI Smoke HL 8 hybrid, Ventus 8S.
PXG Gen4 0311ST, 8 to GW. Steelfiber Private Reserve 95R.
Artisan 54, 58. KBS TGI 90.

Callaway PM grind 64, KBS Hi-rev.
Odyssey 2 Balls Armlock.  Vessel Player 3 Stand Bag.

1 hour ago, shaolingolfer said:

Like the other poster liveagua mentioned, the $70 for the Accra shaft included $35 for the shaft and $35 for putting the clubs together (Shaft, head, grip) with lifetime loft, lie adjustment.  They are not selling you the shaft for $70.

35 bucks for shaft and grip installation?  Yikes