PGA Tour Superstore in Fairfax, VA

howaboutme

A heads up to anyone in the northern VA area. We're getting another store (2nd big box) to waste your rainy days away and spend your hard earned cash on. Looks like it's in the same plaza where the old Golfsmith was.

https://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/stores/fairfax-virginia/1228.html

Grand opening 8/14.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is awesome. I moved from Fairfax to Sterling and we could use some more stores!! I'll be checking this out for sure this weekend.

What's in the bag:

Driver: Taylormade M1 8.5 w/ HZRDUS Yellow 6.5

Fairway Wood: Sim Max 3w w/ HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 6.5

Irons: Taylormade P7MC 4-P w/ DG X100

Wedges: Vokey SM9 set (50/54/58) w/ DG S400

Putter: Scotty Mil Spec 

28 minutes ago, Brausch24 said:

This is awesome. I moved from Fairfax to Sterling and we could use some more stores!! I'll be checking this out for sure this weekend.

I agree. I was there for the grand opening on Saturday. Safe to say, golf is healthy here. I overheard that there were people camped out over night to be one of the first in line. Strange since they offered nothing for those people other than no line at check out. Still a long line outside waiting to get in late morning. They were curbing the crowd (not for covid but for general space to move). Nice store, a lot of high-end apparel (they have a Lily Pulitzer section for example), tons of shoes, so-so junior section, a smaller bag section than Dicks/GG Fair Oaks, lots of clubs, some used-clubs and hitting bays. They use Foresight from what I saw. To be honest, I wouldn't say it's better than the new Dicks/GG at Fair Oaks but it's nice having another big box and competition is always good.

1 hour ago, howaboutme said:

I agree. I was there for the grand opening on Saturday. Safe to say, golf is healthy here. I overheard that there were people camped out over night to be one of the first in line. Strange since they offered nothing for those people other than no line at check out. Still a long line outside waiting to get in late morning. They were curbing the crowd (not for covid but for general space to move). Nice store, a lot of high-end apparel (they have a Lily Pulitzer section for example), tons of shoes, so-so junior section, a smaller bag section than Dicks/GG Fair Oaks, lots of clubs, some used-clubs and hitting bays. They use Foresight from what I saw. To be honest, I wouldn't say it's better than the new Dicks/GG at Fair Oaks but it's nice having another big box and competition is always good.

Thanks for the download! I've been a big fan of the new Dicks/GG but never have an issue checking out another place. It's really nice to not have to drive into MD to find another big golf store lol.

• Like 1

What's in the bag:

Driver: Taylormade M1 8.5 w/ HZRDUS Yellow 6.5

Fairway Wood: Sim Max 3w w/ HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 6.5

Irons: Taylormade P7MC 4-P w/ DG X100

Wedges: Vokey SM9 set (50/54/58) w/ DG S400

Putter: Scotty Mil Spec 

I was there today - nice clean store with good selection of items.  I got an email from them announcing their grand opening.  As someone else said I too was surprised to see nothing offered as an opening sale item - not even courtesy coffee.  Signs of the times I guess. 

My only issue was with the installation/service dept.  I was looking for some Ping putter grips as like everywhere else many grips are on backorder. The guy said he could order them for me but I said I can just order them myself.  He said yes but I'd have to take them to a Ping authorized dealer to get them installed.  WHAT!! 😵😵😵   I asked him to repeat that and he said, yes, Ping is a little strange on their policies. I didn't argue with him but I order Ping grips online from various dealers (usually Golfworks) with no problem. Numerous sites show Ping grips for sale (I checked before posting this). By the way I install them myself after ordering.    

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Prices are what you would expect these days.  Virtually nothing on sale, and even the prices on used equipment was through the roof.  I looked at a used putter and asked about the price.  I was told it was $199, which was only $10 less than it costs new.  I pointed that out and the guy responded that it was hardly used.  He gave no thought to knocking the price down a bit. I went back two weeks later, and it was still there at the same price. 

Despite these complaints, the guys who work in the club repair area are great.  They have been very generous about adjusting clubs for me, and refused to let me pay when I offered to.  Another guy gave me a bunch of grip tape.  They seem to know what they're doing.  Definitely worth visiting the store, especially if you need repair work.  But don't expect to find any deals.      

12 hours ago, Oh Hi Carl said:

Prices are what you would expect these days.  Virtually nothing on sale, and even the prices on used equipment was through the roof.  I looked at a used putter and asked about the price.  I was told it was $199, which was only $10 less than it costs new.  I pointed that out and the guy responded that it was hardly used.  He gave no thought to knocking the price down a bit. I went back two weeks later, and it was still there at the same price. 

Despite these complaints, the guys who work in the club repair area are great.  They have been very generous about adjusting clubs for me, and refused to let me pay when I offered to.  Another guy gave me a bunch of grip tape.  They seem to know what they're doing.  Definitely worth visiting the store, especially if you need repair work.  But don't expect to find any deals.      

Thanks for the update! I haven't been there since the grand opening. I was thinking of trying their repair center out with some regripping. Any noticeable differences between them and Dicks/GG in Fair Oaks?

• 1 month later...
On 12/21/2021 at 10:23 PM, Oh Hi Carl said:

This is the main thing. Finally a reliable repair place in the greater DC area

On 12/22/2021 at 10:36 AM, howaboutme said:

Thanks for the update! I haven't been there since the grand opening. I was thinking of trying their repair center out with some regripping. Any noticeable differences between them and Dicks/GG in Fair Oaks?

I'm sure they can both handle regripping just fine.  I don't have enough experience with either to compare their talents.  In terms of local repair shops, I really like Merrifield Golf.  Mr. Kim is highly skilled.  

"Strange since they offered nothing for those people other than no line at check out."

The first and second fellas got free set of irons. 3rd, 4th, and 5th got drivers and/or fairways. Prizes and giveaways went down to like the 20th person in line. 

WITB Currently
Titleist TSR2 10*

Callaway Paradym 16.5*

Titleist TSi1 20*

Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Irons - Srixon ZX7 5-PW

Cleveland RTX6 56*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II Centershaft/Ping Tyne C

Mizuno K1-L0

1 hour ago, DYOS4 said:

"Strange since they offered nothing for those people other than no line at check out."

The first and second fellas got free set of irons. 3rd, 4th, and 5th got drivers and/or fairways. Prizes and giveaways went down to like the 20th person in line. 

Thanks for the correction.

• Like 1