2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Arg's Travel Log

Good luck at Verdict Ridge.   My mom plays there semi-regularly and I took it on last year for the first time.  I didn't care for it much.   A lot of very steep side hills keep the ball funneled near the fairways.   I didn't always know where I was going.  Was actually thankful to have a cart on this one as it was not one I'd care to walk.   I did think it was in relatively good shape overall. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

16 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

OK, I'm going to have to give the Carolina Mustard and vinegar BBQ sauces a chance in the next few weeks. 

spacer.png

OH MY GOD!!!

MY EYES, MY EYES!!!

• Haha 1

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

Cool, damp, and cloudy this morning. The partly sunny skies that were forecast didn't materialize until I was putting my clubs away. Grrr. Rocky River GC today. This parkland layout sits on a fairly nice piece of rolling terrain. Not super hilly, but enough to make it somewhat interesting. Water on a couple of holes, but plenty of marsh areas with forced carries. The front has a few prairie style holes, and is more open. The back is a little tighter, but there's still plenty of room off the tee. Bunkering was light. Not much left/right movement with only a couple of slight sweepers. 

Other than the forced carries it was fairly generous off the tee. The rough was wide with the trees pushed back, so minor misses weren't cause for concern. Approaches were tougher. Soft conditions, some fairly small greens, and a handful of deep bunkers kept one focused. Up and downs were tricky. Tough Bermuda rough and some speedy, undulating greens put up a fight. Putting was fairly challenging. Definitely more break than met the eye. 

The three Par 3s were meh. The 15th was halfway decent with a forced carry over a marsh. The three par 5s were also meh. None reachable, and little trouble off the tee or in the layup area. The two short 4s were mixed. The 14th was decent, a dogleg right that could possibly be driven by a longer hitter by cutting the corner over the trees. 

Conditions were sloppy. CPO for the riders. Plenty of areas where the dormant Bermuda was barely there. Rough wasn't bad for the most part. Bunkers were actually quite nice, as the crew was out early. Greens were excellent. Fairly smooth and running at least 10. Nice to see on an inexpensive muni. 

Played a Green/White combo at 6235 yds (69.9/132). Another good day off the tee with 13 fairways, but the ball was getting little rollout. Only 9 greens with the long approaches. One birdie and seven bogies. 

RR gets a solid 5 cows. Decent muni that doesn't break the bank at $40 walking. I enjoyed the terrain, but the layout needs a few changes, including a risk/reward 5, and a tougher par 3. Good course for a local round. 

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Rocky River GC, Concord, NC 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Full photo set: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zju3iwau2l5ale9/AAAkcUhnHcSiE37OKxo_ggkLa?dl=0

• Like 4

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Who needs sunshine when you can have a fruited tripel? Lol. Enjoying a very tasty Ommegang Brewing Triple Fruited (Peach, Mango, and Orange) Tripel at Flying Saucer Draught Emporium. Choices for a second are a Victory Golden Monkey or a Delirium Tremens. Hmmm. Tough life. 

spacer.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

Cool, damp, and cloudy this morning. The partly sunny skies that were forecast didn't materialize until I was putting my clubs away. Grrr. Rocky River GC today. This parkland layout sits on a fairly nice piece of rolling terrain. Not super hilly, but enough to make it somewhat interesting. Water on a couple of holes, but plenty of marsh areas with forced carries. The front has a few prairie style holes, and is more open. The back is a little tighter, but there's still plenty of room off the tee. Bunkering was light. Not much left/right movement with only a couple of slight sweepers. 

Other than the forced carries it was fairly generous off the tee. The rough was wide with the trees pushed back, so minor misses weren't cause for concern. Approaches were tougher. Soft conditions, some fairly small greens, and a handful of deep bunkers kept one focused. Up and downs were tricky. Tough Bermuda rough and some speedy, undulating greens put up a fight. Putting was fairly challenging. Definitely more break than met the eye. 

The three Par 3s were meh. The 15th was halfway decent with a forced carry over a marsh. The three par 5s were also meh. None reachable, and little trouble off the tee or in the layup area. The two short 4s were mixed. The 14th was decent, a dogleg right that could possibly be driven by a longer hitter by cutting the corner over the trees. 

Conditions were sloppy. CPO for the riders. Plenty of areas where the dormant Bermuda was barely there. Rough wasn't bad for the most part. Bunkers were actually quite nice, as the crew was out early. Greens were excellent. Fairly smooth and running at least 10. Nice to see on an inexpensive muni. 

Played a Green/White combo at 6235 yds (69.9/132). Another good day off the tee with 13 fairways, but the ball was getting little rollout. Only 9 greens with the long approaches. One birdie and seven bogies. 

RR gets a solid 5 cows. Decent muni that doesn't break the bank at $40 walking. I enjoyed the terrain, but the layout needs a few changes, including a risk/reward 5, and a tougher par 3. Good course for a local round. 

May need to check this one out when down in that area this May visiting my mom.  Interesting. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

15 minutes ago, TBone0576 said:

May need to check this one out when down in that area this May visiting my mom.  Interesting. 

Definitely worth a visit. If I was a local, it would be in my regular rotation. Obviously I've gotten picky playing so many top rated courses, so it's not going to stack up against them. However, for a local muni it's a fun track. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

Morning lows will be in the low 30s tomorrow. Going to be a chilly round. Verdict Ridge is mandatory cart, so I'm going to freeze my behind off. 

Got a bit of good news today. I called Southern Dunes, and they were able to add me to a threesome on Friday morning. It's the first group out, so if there's a frost delay (currently expected), I'll still be finished in time for noon brisket. Lol. 

Hopefully the cold weather scares away a couple of players at Pinehurst on Thursday. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, stevopagolf said:

Pizza if not on the East Coast isn't worth the calories!  Once below Philadelphia the quality goes downhill fast!

Lol. Bah. Best pizza is in Chicago. Tavern style thin crust cut in squares, deep dish (Lou Malnati's or Pizzaria Uno), or stuffed (Edwardo's). 

Do like a good Detroit style with the caramelized crust, or a tasty New Haven style. 

New York style is OK if you're walking on a Jersey boardwalk and you've had too many beers. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Lol. Bah. Best pizza is in Chicago. Tavern style thin crust cut in squares, deep dish (Lou Malnati's or Pizzaria Uno), or stuffed (Edwardo's). 

Do like a good Detroit style with the caramelized crust, or a tasty New Haven style. 

New York style is OK if you're walking on a Jersey boardwalk and you've had too many beers. 

I do like Chicago pizza deep dish once in awhile.  Buddy's in Michigan is good on occasion.  New Haven Style is my favorite.

I can see Arg you are a defender of your great city.  Don't get me started on cheesesteaks outside of Philadelphia!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevopagolf said:

I do like Chicago pizza deep dish once in awhile.  Buddy's in Michigan is good on occasion.  New Haven Style is my favorite.

I can see Arg you are a defender of your great city.  Don't get me started on cheesesteaks outside of Philadelphia!

I haven't had a decent cheesesteak outside of Philly, so I wouldn't take that on. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Tavern style pizza in Chicago is the worst. Places like Arielios are a disgrace to pizza. This is my hot take of the day. Tavern style pizza is the worst pizza and Chicago doesn't have a single good NY style (Little Pops in Naperville is decent). Tavern doesn't know if it is thick or thing, basically cafeteria pizza.. Do love Lou's though. 

Edited by mci711

Lovely morning. 29 degrees and an hour frost delay. Hopefully it doesn't last longer than that. I'll be in the first group out, so it should be somewhat quick, although it's mandatory carts and cart path only. Pfffttt. 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Lovely morning. 29 degrees and an hour frost delay. Hopefully it doesn't last longer than that. I'll be in the first group out, so it should be somewhat quick, although it's mandatory carts and cart path only. Pfffttt. 

Good luck.  I was trying to remember my round from last year.  Quite a few elevation changes, some reachable par 5s.   Again I didn't like the side boards on a handful of holes but I understand why they did it.  Not knowing what to hit off the tee or exactly where to go hurt me.    Looks like I carded an 81 from the tips and shot a 74 the next day at Birkdale Golf Club. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

14 hours ago, mci711 said:

Tavern style pizza in Chicago is the worst. Places like Arielios are a disgrace to pizza. This is my hot take of the day. Tavern style pizza is the worst pizza and Chicago doesn't have a single good NY style (Little Pops in Naperville is decent). Tavern doesn't know if it is thick or thing, basically cafeteria pizza.. Do love Lou's though. 

As an Arizona native, let me thank you all for your sauce Pizza wars.  We in neutral territory love them all, and benefit from your competition.

• Haha 2

From a northern IL burbs/SE Wisconsin guy, the tavern style pizza with a crispy crust is the way to go, at least at my local place.   Not a huge fan of the deep or stuffed but can be ok occasionally if someone really is craving it.  If I want a doughy pizza I'll go double dough or pan style.  

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

I'm in the mountains just a few hours away. Our high today won't reach 29* and it is snowing heavily, wind gusts to 45mph, and wind chill values as low as -5*. Your weather is looking pretty sweet. Hope you enjoy the round.

• Thanks 1

Nice drive to downtown Charlotte. Passed the Bank of America Stadium on my way to Craft Tasting Room and Growler Shop. 35 taps with most of them local brews. A few too many sours and IPAs, but the Oozlefinch Ox Cart imperial porter is very good. Solid pour for a cold day. 

spacer.png

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Lol. I think I died, because I must be in heaven. Stumbled across Charlotte Beer Garden. They claim to have the world's largest draft beer selection. I can't argue with that. Appears to be at least 200 taps. There are so many that the international pours are at a second bar on the 2nd floor. Sampling a Raleigh Brewing Company Hell Yes Ma'am Belgian Golden Strong Ale, and a Sugar Creek Brewing Space Walker Belgian Golden Strong Ale. They have eight imperial stouts. Oh my. 

spacer.png

This may be a dumb question, how does a place like this not end up with a bunch of lost beer? Like there have to be quite a few that don't get ordered all that often. Does it stay good? I'm not very well versed in the fancy beer game lol 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mci711 said:

This may be a dumb question, how does a place like this not end up with a bunch of lost beer? Like there have to be quite a few that don't get ordered all that often. Does it stay good? I'm not very well versed in the fancy beer game lol 

I have to assume the distributor ensures that the kegs don't stay tapped too long. Not too good for business if a customer gets a less than fresh pour, even if it means swapping a half empty keg. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mci711 said:

they also are probably only tapping 1/4 and 1/6 barrels not full kegs for most of these.  The way they are priced they are most likely covering their cost for the keg within a handful of pours.  

• Like 2

Time for some Q. I have in front of me some Carolina Mustard sauce, Carolina vinegar, habenero red, and a sweet brown sugar sauce. With pulled pork, brisket, a half slab of ribs, and a jalepeno hot link coming up, I should have a nice sampling. 

spacer.png

Edited by Argonne69