Arg's Travel Log

Rain early this morning, but there's a break for now. Probably could have played, but decided to take the day off and take care of a few chores. I have to dig out my laser printer, print a form from the Illinois Secretary of State, and run to the post office. Maintaining a CDL while on the road is a pain. Sure would be nice if the SoS modernized its systems to allow online submission of paperwork. 

Booked golf at Rocky River and Verdict Ridge near Charlotte for Monday and Tuesday. VR doesn't allow non-members to walk. Pfffttt. 

Late next week I'll be back in Pinehurst for two rounds. Hope to play Southern Pines and one of the resort courses. You think #3 would be better than #9? 

Wow. I called Southern Pines for a tee time next Thursday or Friday and they're booked solid until after 3 pm each day. That's nuts. I'll call them daily until then to see if there's a cancelation, but it's looking like I'll be playing two rounds at the resort. 

Also having difficulty finding an RV park near Raleigh. Not much close to the city, so I may wind up spending a lot of time driving. 

Double Oy. Called Pinehurst, and there's a one day booking window on #3, #1, and #5 for non-guests. At this point #3 is booked pretty solid with resort guests. I'll give them a call next Wednesday and hope for the best. #9 now requires a resort stay. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Enough with the chores. Out checking out Columbia. Decent brewpub scene by numbers, but not much in my wheelhouse. Wound up at Liberty Tap Room. Much like WoB it has 60+ taps with a nice mix. Enjoying the Southern Tier French Toast American Strong Ale. 

spacer.png

• Like 4

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I was thinking about barbeque tonight, but with surgery looming in a couple of weeks, I figured what the heck, I'm going to treat myself. Halls Chophouse was a couple of blocks away, and is one of the top rated restaurants in the city. 

On the positive side, the wet aged ribeye was excellent. Pricey, but excellent. The creamed corn was fabulous. Pricey, but fabulous. 

Now for the downside. When did restaurants forget that they're in the hospitality business? I show up at 4:15, and sorry, you can't have a table. Go slum at the bar. I inquired about two open tables in the bar area, and was told they were reserved. Of course they were empty when I walked out an hour and fifteen minutes later. Went to the restroom, and there were several other open tables. 

Now, I understand that a lot of places don't like single diners. However, it's pre rush. I spoke with the manager after my meal, and he said that the tables had 6 pm reservations. I pointed out that it was 5:30 when I walked out. All it would have taken was informing me that the tables were reserved at 6 pm, and I would have said, no problem, I'll be out in an hour or so. Instead I get jammed into a crowded bar. To make matters worse a couple sat next to me, and a few minutes later I overheard them say that they were being moved to a table. Plenty of room for a two top, but not a single. I reminded the manager that singles make recommendations to their friends, and that I'd be posting a review stating that the place was not particularly single friendly. Curious how much revenue that's going to cost them. 

spacer.png

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 4

Lovely morning. Cool and sunny. Perfect day to walk 18. Cobblestone Park today, a PB Dye design. Wonderful piece of rolling parkland. Didn't realize it's a housing development, but the handful of homes visible are set back behind the trees. At one point it was the home course for the University of South Carolina. Now I believe it's their practice facility. Plenty of elevated tees, as well as elevated greens. Sidehill lies galore. Water on just a couple of holes, but plenty of creeks meandering through the course. Bunkering was very good. Nice mix of left/right and long/short holes. The layout has three nines, and I didn't think two holes on the Garnet and Black nines looked alike. 

Fairly easy off the tee on Garnet. Black felt tighter. Pinestraw to catch minor misses, but plenty of trouble if wild. Approaches were tough. Uneven lies, elevated greens, and solid greenside bunkering. Up and downs were mixed. The closely mown areas were fairly straightforward, but chipping/pitching on the slopes out of the rough was dicey. Putting was moderately tough. Greens had some nice tiering and slope, but it's no Ross design. 

The five par 3s were very good. Nice mix of lengths and a couple of forced carries. 5s were also very good with wo reachable risk/reward holes. Garnet 5 had the green on the other side of a pond. Black 9 had a split fairway with the right side providing a shorter approach, but riskier drive with a narrow fairway and water right. The sole short 4s (Black 6) was very good. Probably driveable for a long hitter, and solid bunkering. 

Conditions were soft from yesterday's rain. A little muddy in spots. Rough was cut low. Bunkers had plenty of compacted wet sand. Grooming needed. Greens were on the bumpy side, but speed was good at 10. 

Played the Garnet/Black Member tees on the par 71 layout at 6165 yds (70.1/130). Solid day off the tee, but hitting into a lot of the upslopes was killing any rollout. One birdie, four bogies, and a double. Highlight of the day was a Texas wedge from 30' on the opening hole for birdie. Also had a handful of nice scrambles. 

Solid 6 cows here. Might be worthy of seven. No real weaknesses. Would have liked a walking rate, but $79 on a weekend isn't terrible. A couple more short 4s would be nice. Very nice looking course, and a very good workout walking. Must play in the area. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 4

On 3/10/2023 at 9:25 AM, Argonne69 said:

Also having difficulty finding an RV park near Raleigh. Not much close to the city, so I may wind up spending a lot of time driving. 

There is an RV Park at the James Hunt horse complex which is across the street from the NC State stadium and not far from downtown

Here is the link.    May be worth looking into.  There is a show there this coming week so may work out for you although it might be open even when a show isn’t going on.   https://www.ncstatefair.org/HuntHorseComplex/RVPark.htm

Craft and Draft in Columbia. Primarily a craft beer store, but they do have 12 regional brews on tap. Enjoying a tasty 10W-40 imperial stout from Hi-Wire in Asheville. 

spacer.png

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ericg33 said:

There is an RV Park at the James Hunt horse complex which is across the street from the NC State stadium and not far from downtown

Here is the link.    May be worth looking into.  There is a show there this coming week so may work out for you although it might be open even when a show isn’t going on.   https://www.ncstatefair.org/HuntHorseComplex/RVPark.htm

I saw that. Unfortunately they don't take reservations. First come, first serve. Looks like a nice park with a good location, but can't chance rolling into town and not getting a spot. Looks like the fairgrounds has a few events going on next week. Pity, because most state parks and fairgrounds take reservations. 

I wound up finding an RV park 30 miles south of the city. I'll be driving a few miles each day, but it's worth having a place locked in. 

Edited by Argonne69

5 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

I saw that. Unfortunately they don't take reservations. First come, first serve. Looks like a nice park with a good location, but can't chance rolling into town and not getting a spot. Looks like the fairgrounds has a few events going on next week. Pity, because most state parks and fairgrounds take reservations. 

I didn’t realize that, sorry.  I know some folks that camp there during shows and I would be surprised if they just showed up.  I will reach out and see if they know something that may be helpful.  

• Thanks 1

Drove over to Railroad BBQ, one of the top rated Q joints in Columbia, but they're closed until next weekend. Grrr. Wound up at True BBQ in West Columbia. Small local place with some decent barbeque. The spare ribs were juicy and tender, although two bones for a meal was a diet portion. Three would have been nice. The pulled pork was excellent. Moist and tasty. Beans and mac and cheese were decent. Don't recall ever having hash and rice before. Good stuff. Not a huge fan of mustard or vinegar based sauces or so I went with the tomato sauce. Decent choice. Can't say it's a must visit, but it didn't disappoint. 

spacer.png

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Drove over to Railroad BBQ, one of the top rated Q joints in Columbia, but they're closed until next weekend. Grrr. Wound up at True BBQ in West Columbia. Small local place with some decent barbeque. The spare ribs were juicy and tender, although two bones for a meal was a diet portion. Three would have been nice. The pulled pork was excellent. Moist and tasty. Beans and mac and cheese were decent. Don't recall ever having hash and rice before. Good stuff. Not a huge fan of mustard or vinegar based sauces or so I went with the tomato sauce. Decent choice. Can't say it's a must visit, but it didn't disappoint. 

spacer.png

My relatives in my dad’s side are from Carolina. I’m not a fan of the vinegar based sauces as well. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Being Kansas City area born and raised I can't stand the vinegar based sauces.

Should be banned!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

5 hours ago, vernon said:

Should be banned!

Y’all need to expand your horizons.  Been all over this country more than once and ate bbq when the opportunity presented.  Only truly bad Q I’ve had was in San Angelo. TX.  It was more non-rendered fat than meat and sold by weight.  

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore Tour raw wedges 52/56/60

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

Uneventful drive north in a steady rain to Charlotte. Still can't figure out why people have a deathwish and like driving in the rain with no headlights.

Moving the clocks forward certainly messed up my morning, though. Got into the city an hour later than originally planned, and caught a bit of traffic. Nice view of the Charlotte Motor Speedway and zMax Dragway from my spot at Camping World Racing Resort. 

I was going to check out Fonta Flora Brewing, but it's a 25 minute drive downtown in the cold rain, so I'll kick back in Bessie and crack open a bottle of Bourbon County and watch The Players. Hopefully I can check out FF tomorrow or Tuesday before heading to Pinehurst on Wednesday. 

The rain should clear by 6 am, so I should have sunny skies for my round at Rocky River GC. It'll be cold, and probably quite sloppy, but at least the drive will be short. The course is across the street from the RV park. I tee it up at Verdict Ridge on Tuesday. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, vernon said:

Should be banned!

I remember going to get some BBQ when I was in Raleigh for work. One of the local guys was born and raised in the area so he chose the spot. Before we left one of the displaced Yankee's on the team asked if was going to be vinegar sauce or ketchup sauce.

The look the Raleigh guy gave him was hilarious. Don't mess with BBQ in the Carolinas.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

OK, I'm going to have to give the Carolina Mustard and vinegar BBQ sauces a chance in the next few weeks. 

spacer.png

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Hard pass...

Silly Texans. 😁

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

1 hour ago, stevopagolf said:

I like the mustard sauce.  I also like the vinegar sauce and of course I like the KC style as well.   Haven't had the opportunity to try the Alabama white sauce yet.

Now I'm hungry and I am currently in SC so, I might. have to get some BBQ!

Every one of those is delicious and unique in its own way. 🤤

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

OK, I'm going to have to give the Carolina Mustard and vinegar BBQ sauces a chance in the next few weeks. 

spacer.png

Looks like a great way to ruin a pulled pork sandwich…. 🤣

• Like 3

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

4 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

The rain should clear by 6 am, so I should have sunny skies for my round at Rocky River GC. It'll be cold, and probably quite sloppy, but at least the drive will be short. The course is across the street from the RV park. I tee it up at Verdict Ridge on Tuesday. 

I played Rocky River a few months ago the day after we got like 6 inches of rain. It was CPO, obviously, but the greens were fantastic. The first few holes are right by the race track, but being Monday early, there shouldn't be any action. The back is really nice. Have fun! Next time you are in the area, pencil in Eagle Chase or Warrior, you won't be disappointed.

Edited by 5 O'Clock Charlie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, vernon said:

Should be banned!

Those of us east of Lexington NC have a different opinion. The tomato based sauce is just wrong.

it is serious business. There are t-shirts that have a silhouette of the state on it where the east side is written vinegar and the west side tomato.

I am going to give another vote for the KC style BBQ sauces.  Not a huge fan of the mustard based sauces.

• Like 2

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
5W: Ping G430
3H & 4H: Ping G410
5H:  Ping G
6 - GW: Ping G25

54*: Ping Glide 4.0
58*: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Bounce
Putter: Odyssey Tri Hot Double Wide CH Putter

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

Ball:  Titleist ProV1, Maxfli Tour, Taylormade TP5, PXG