2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Arg's Travel Log

And now for something completely different. A bit of bad news, but not unexpected. I spoke with my doctor in Chicago today and he's recommending kidney surgery. If all goes well I can be back out swing a club in three to four weeks. My original plan was to work my way up towards Philly again, and then head back to Chicago in late April before heading north into Michigan. I don't want to push back my northern trip until late May, so I'll had back to Chicago at the end of March.

I'll take a look at my calendar and see when and where I'll make the turn back to Chicago. Probably going to be Zion, VA or DC. 

Sitting on my rear end for weeks is going to be brutal, but I agree with the doctor in that it's best to take care of this now rather than later. 

• Sad 7

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

17 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Made it back to Atlanta in one piece, but my poor back is going to need rest. Wouldn't be a drive to Atlanta without running into bumper to bumper traffic at some point. People sure like crashing into each other.

Tomorrow looks like a washout, and Friday is a travel day, so after the excitement yesterday, I'll take a two day rest and be back on the links in the late morning on Saturday at Harbor Club on Lake Oconee. 

Final thoughts on Pinehurst. If you haven't visited, it's a must. It's almost sensory overload. Just walking in the clubhouse is an experience with the numerous display cases showcasing the major championships. The pro shop is huge. The view from the veranda is special. Excellent practice facilities. I attended a 3 day golf school there in 2008, and remember it fondly. 

There are now nine courses there, and two more are being built. Seriously, you could spend a week there are not play all the courses, and that doesn't include the other local courses including Mid Pines, Pine Needles, and Southern Pines. 

Pre-season prices aren't bad, and the courses are in playable shape, even though they don't look lush. You can save a few bucks in February. 

Many moons ago I played in the Junior College National Championships at Mid-Pines and stayed on property.  Got to head across the street for a round at Pine Needles as well.   I have yet to get back there more than 25 years later.  One of the days we drove over to Pinehurst to see the clubhouse and walked one of the fairways at dawn.   My mother lives in Charlotte so I really have no excuses not to take a day to go over.  

• Like 1

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

Double post

Edited by TBone0576
Double Post

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

3 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

And now for something completely different. A bit of bad news, but not unexpected. I spoke with my doctor in Chicago today and he's recommending kidney surgery. If all goes well I can be back out swing a club in three to four weeks. My original plan was to work my way up towards Philly again, and then head back to Chicago in late April before heading north into Michigan. I don't want to push back my northern trip until late May, so I'll had back to Chicago at the end of March.

I'll take a look at my calendar and see when and where I'll make the turn back to Chicago. Probably going to be Zion, VA or DC. 

Sitting on my rear end for weeks is going to be brutal, but I agree with the doctor in that it's best to take care of this now rather than later. 

Hope you heal up soon. When you’re back  in the STL area let me know and we can meet up for a round.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

4 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Sorry to hear that and hope you have a quick recovery....there's plenty of time for more golf, beer and BBQ.  We are going to go through withdrawl from not seeing your posts for a few weeks. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Oh man I’m bummed to hear that.  Is there a natural way to fix without surgery?  Just sounds very challenging.   Thoughts and prayers for your health.  

• Thanks 1

I hope everything goes well and you have a speedy recovery.  Even though it's been almost exactly 40 years, I still remember (vividly) when I had surgery on one of my kidneys.   I  hope the procedure can at least be performed laparoscopically.  

Edited by imkirby34
  • Thanks 1

Paradym Ai Smoke TD 10.5* (@ 9.5*) / Ventus Blue TR 6S

TM SIM2 Max 3HL 16.5* / Kuro Kage TiNi 70S

Paradym 5W 18* / GD Tour AD HD 7X

Ping G425 5H 26* / Ventus Velocore Blue HB 8S

Callaway '21 Apex Pro 5-PW / Fujikura Axiom 125X

Callaway JAWS 52*/56*/60* / KBS $-Taper 130 "8i Spinner"

Argolf Pendragon XL (Broomstick)

Snell MTB Black

Congratulations on hitting 1000 courses played.  Good luck with the surgery and speedy recovery.

• Thanks 1

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
5W: Ping G430
3H & 4H: Ping G410
5H:  Ping G
6 - GW: Ping G25

54*: Ping Glide 4.0
58*: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Bounce
Putter: Odyssey Tri Hot Double Wide CH Putter

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

Ball:  Titleist ProV1, Maxfli Tour, Taylormade TP5, PXG

Spending some time today looking at my schedule for the month, along with the long range weather forecast. Hmmm. Primland and Omni Cascades don't open until April, so they're off the list. Northern Virginia, Maryland, and DC are looking at morning temps in the low 30s. Not sure it's worth heading up there. 

I was going to stop in Charlotte, and Winston-Salem before moving north, but I'll probably stay in NC. I think another visit to Pinehurst and Raleigh after Charlotte is in the cards. I'd like to play Southern Pines, Pinehurst #9, and one of the other Pinehurst courses (1, 3, 4, 5, or 6).

• Like 4

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

14 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Spending some time today looking at my schedule for the month, along with the long range weather forecast. Hmmm. Primland and Omni Cascades don't open until April, so they're off the list. Northern Virginia, Maryland, and DC are looking at morning temps in the low 30s. Not sure it's worth heading up there. 

I was going to stop in Charlotte, and Winston-Salem before moving north, but I'll probably stay in NC. I think another visit to Pinehurst and Raleigh after Charlotte is in the cards. I'd like to play Southern Pines, Pinehurst #9, and one of the other Pinehurst courses (1, 3, 4, 5, or 6).

I think #3 is a must play once at pinehurst. It is pinehurst #2 if you shrunk it down to 5000 yards, fun little walk. 

• Like 1

Drove to Madison, GA this morning. I think I'm setting myself for a frustrating day tomorrow with a late morning round at Harbor Club on Lake Oconee. They have a tournament in the early morning, and then the members head out. I won't tee off until 11:45 am, and I was reading a Google Maps review that complained about a six hour round on a Saturday after getting stuck behind a morning tournament. Hope not. I'll get there a bit early and hopefully I can join some members at an earlier time. 

• Like 2

44 Draft House Growler Bar in Eatonton. 30 taps with a good mix. Enjoying a nice Yard House Belgian Amber Tripel. I'll follow that up with one of the two imperial stouts. 

spacer.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

Simply gorgeous day. Sunny, warm, and light winds. After three days off, and two days of wind and rain, I was looking forward to starting my quest for course #2000. Lol. Got lucky this morning with my tee time. Arrived early and spoke with the starter, and he found three members who welcomed me with open arms. The only downside was that I was schooled by a 15 year old AJGA player. Amazing how some players make it look so effortless. I expect to see her in a top college program in a few years. 

Harbor Club on Lake Oconee today. It's a Tom Weiskopf design that ranks #9 on GolfWeek's Best in State list. Beautiful parkland layout on rolling terrain with a couple of peeks at Lake Oconee. It's a housing development course, but for the most part the homes are tucked back in the trees. Plenty of uneven lies. Solid bunkering. Water on a few holes. Good mix of left/right and long/short holes. 

Moderately difficult off the tee with somewhat narrow fairways, and slopes that can kick the ball into trouble. Not a lot of rough to keep misses in play. Approaches were tough. Plenty of elevated greens with solid bunkering or PAs. Up and downs were tough off the side slopes and soft green fronts. Greens had a good amount of slope, but unfortunately the greens had been punched and sanded, so they were bumpy and slow. 

Par 3s were very good. Nice mix of lengths and difficulty. 5s were very good. Three were reachable with good drives. The 14th was a hook shaped hole, with a long carry left if one wanted to risk it. Short 4s were excellent. Weiskopf likes his driveable 4s, and HC had two. The 7th had a long carry over water with a tough green. 

Conditions were soft after a couple of days of rain. Cart path only for the riders. Rough was cut low. Bunkers had plenty of sand, but it was compacted and needed a proper grooming. Greens were sandy and slow. 

Played the Green tees at 6234 yds (70.6/130). Tough day out there with a wonky driver and mediocre iron play. One birdie, eight bogies, and a double. Highlight of the day was watching my three playing partners carve up the course. Some days you're the windshield, but today I was the big. 

I think HC warrants 7 cows. Beautiful property with a lot of quality holes. Only a couple that were meh. Not quite Great Waters (I assume), but at $75 it was a solid value. Definitely worth a visit. 

Argonne, love your template for course descriptions.  Everything included, nothing left out.  And paragraph breaks.  Same format every time, making the reviews easy to read.

(I'm an architectural fan of clubhouses.  Do you ever spend much time in or around those after your rounds?)

• Thanks 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

2 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Argonne, love your template for course descriptions.  Everything included, nothing left out.  And paragraph breaks.  Same format every time, making the reviews easy to read.

(I'm an architectural fan of clubhouses.  Do you ever spend much time in or around those after your rounds?)

Rarely spend time in the clubhouse. Too many brewpubs whispering to me. Lol. Honestly, most are decent, but not worth hanging around for. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Argonne69 said:

Rarely spend time in the clubhouse. Too many brewpubs whispering to me. Lol. Honestly, most are decent, but not worth hanging around for. 

Next time you run across a great-looking clubhouse... 📷.

• Like 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

5B's Barbecue and Brews. Pleasantly surprised. Portions were on the small side, but prices were reasonable. Brisket was tender and juicy, but Austin has no worries. Ribs were very good. Juicy and tender. Brunswick Stew was excellent. Mac and cheese was very good. The original sweet and smokey BBQ sauce was very good, and the Angry Ray's A Bit of a Kick was an excellent balance of sweet and tangy. Worth a visit. 

spacer.png

• Like 3

Ok, @Argonne69, here's a question I've been meaning to ask for a while. All who read this thread regularly know that you (always? almost always?) play a course once and only once. You're always off to the next one. My question is -- have you ever been tempted to say "you know what, time to change plans and take another shot at this course tomorrow"? Maybe the course was that good, or the weather was that bad, or something else. Could it ever happen, or do you think you're always going to be one-and-done with each course?

5 hours ago, crcraig said:

Ok, @Argonne69, here's a question I've been meaning to ask for a while. All who read this thread regularly know that you (always? almost always?) play a course once and only once. You're always off to the next one. My question is -- have you ever been tempted to say "you know what, time to change plans and take another shot at this course tomorrow"? Maybe the course was that good, or the weather was that bad, or something else. Could it ever happen, or do you think you're always going to be one-and-done with each course?

I'm sure it will happen at some point. Early in the trip I played The Ocean Course at Kiawah for the 2nd time. 'Just too many new courses out there, though. 

Next winter I'll likely be in the Phoenix area for a few weeks. I've played almost all of the public courses in the area, so I wont' have much choice but to tee it up at an old favorite. 

• Like 2