2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Power built citation persimmon identifying question.

5 hours ago, persimmon-guy said:

I bought a citation persimmon driver in the early 90's and the markings on the club said it was a Super Citation, 240cc, cork filled. The Power Bilt marking on top has a silver lightning bolt not the traditional red lightning bolt. The face insert is black with two screws and a center aluminum firing pin. The sole plate has the traditional horseshoe with the number 1. There are no serial numbers on the club head or sole plate. Any help to identify when this driver was manufactured would be great.

pictures will help....tho, seeing that you're in the "Validating-Unconfirmed", you won't be able to post pics via the usual way here....I checked Maltby's, the edition I have only goes to '93, so starting from there & going back - no mention of a "Super Citation", or the numbers '240', or cork filled. I'm guessing that this is a metal head, not persimmon or laminated. Back in the '50s there was a white lightening bolt under the name PowerBilt...Citation is the Pro line & shows up around '1958 in both Maltby's & Kaplan's....but no mention of "Super"

there are actual H&B experts here...so hopefully they'll be able to help better than me

25 minutes ago, Stephen8802 said:

This is what mine looks like. I don't know what year it is, but based on the size, technology, and shaft, I've always thought it was early 90s. These are fabulous clubs and I really enjoy playing mine.

IMG_9487.JPEG

IMG_9488.JPEG

IMG_9489.JPEG

IMG_9490.JPEG

IMG_9491.JPEG

Nice piece of wood!

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

1 hour ago, bcstones said:

any idea why cork would fill that back cavity rather than lead & 240cc seems small for that time, or am I in the wrong time warp?

240cc was large in the early '90's. Persimmon heads were typically 150 - 180 cc. 240 cc of solid persimmon would be too heavy to swing hence cork fill rather than lead. 

I believe Louisville Golf's Smart was the largest persimmon head produced and is only marginally bigger then 240 cc - perhaps 250 cc.20210916_211955.jpg.6ecbb398363be1bef6e1ddb104c638ee.jpg20210916_212019.jpg.27afca65caf39e1b7d888ead17a065ea.jpg

20210918_120436.jpg.8d1d2dc7b617a5a6f7e0b6ad9dfdaef7.jpgIt was the mid '90's and the advent of Titanium that saw driver heads start to balloon in size and head towards today's 460cc monstrosities.

Edited by Foozle
Correction
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Bella Woods said:

The 2001 GolfWorks catalog was also the last time you could buy classic club inserts and decals easily from a catalog (that I 

know of).......

Classic Club Inserts.jpeg

I haven't been particularly active on the forum of late so maybe I'm a bit out of touch, but I don't recall seeing Bella Woods around for a while - it's great to see you sharing your vintage golf wisdom here again.  I miss the old pre-changeover crew.  Anyone know what ever happened to Rex235?

To me 2001 isn't that long ago but still... I do wish I could place an order for some (read: "all") of those inserts.  

• Like 3

On 8/12/2023 at 8:29 PM, Bella Woods said:

The PowerBilt Super Citation driver is from the very late 1990s up until about 2001.

They were sold by Maltby/Golf Works under license with PowerBilt. You could buy the

heads only for $63 and build your own club, or have Maltby build one for you.  

Attached pics are of the last unshafted Super Citation head I have and page 53 of 

the 2001 Golfworks catalog showing the heads for sale. I think this was the last year

they were sold - Maltby bailed on classic clubs/supplies right about then......

2001 GolfWorks 2001 Full Line Catalog.jpeg

PowerBilt Super Citation Driver Head.jpeg

Thanks for sharing this helps explain some questions I had.  I also really enjoy my first Super Citation driver, it’s outfitted with a Fenwick Eagle 6.0 graphite shaft and it’s easy to hit and long for a persimmon.   Recently had the chance to acquire a second Super Citation with a Rifle Precision 6.0 steel shaft for a cheap price, was excited to get it until I got it to the range and realized it felt like the club head was filled with lead.  Measured it when I got home and the club weighs 392 grams with a swingweight of E4.   Was an absolute beast to swing, tried to slow way down so I didn’t injure myself any and surprisingly managed to still hit some really nice drives.   

It looks original and unfinished and I was wondering how it got such ridiculous specs, but it being a component club makes perfect sense now.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Brewski_golfs said:

Thanks for sharing this helps explain some questions I had.  I also really enjoy my first Super Citation driver, it’s outfitted with a Fenwick Eagle 6.0 graphite shaft and it’s easy to hit and long for a persimmon.   Recently had the chance to acquire a second Super Citation with a Rifle Precision 6.0 steel shaft for a cheap price, was excited to get it until I got it to the range and realized it felt like the club head was filled with lead.  Measured it when I got home and the club weighs 392 grams with a swingweight of E4.   Was an absolute beast to swing, tried to slow way down so I didn’t injure myself any and surprisingly managed to still hit some really nice drives.   

It looks original and unfinished and I was wondering how it got such ridiculous specs, but it being a component club makes perfect sense now.  

didn't know Fenwick made golf shafts....I love their fishing rods.
are you going to take the shaft off? perhaps the former owner did something w/weights in the shaft to change....and you could weigh the club head, then reshaft w/graphite staff of your choice

Edited by bcstones

2 hours ago, bcstones said:

didn't know Fenwick made golf shafts....I love their fishing rods.
are you going to take the shaft off? perhaps the former owner did something w/weights in the shaft to change....and you could weigh the club head, then reshaft w/graphite staff of your choice

Not sure how long Fenwick was making shafts, but the one I do have works well when I play it.   I will probably reshaft the club at some point, I am guessing they added weight to the bottom of the shaft as the head appears to be untouched.   From the post above I know the original clubhead weight was 200g, so at least I will know if they did add weight under the sole plate. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Brewski_golfs said:

Not sure how long Fenwick was making shafts, but the one I do have works well when I play it.   I will probably reshaft the club at some point, I am guessing they added weight to the bottom of the shaft as the head appears to be untouched.   From the post above I know the original clubhead weight was 200g, so at least I will know if they did add weight under the sole plate. 

Also didn't know GLoomis made golf shafts either, they make great fly rods for sure...as soon as I prue one, it'll be going on a BeCu Ping Eye2 1 iron...should be interesting.

On 7/30/2023 at 11:09 PM, Stephen8802 said:

This is what mine looks like. I don't know what year it is, but based on the size, technology, and shaft, I've always thought it was early 90s. These are fabulous clubs and I really enjoy playing mine.

IMG_9487.JPEG

IMG_9488.JPEG

IMG_9489.JPEG

IMG_9490.JPEG

IMG_9491.JPEG

Is the Super Citation larger than the Citation Plus? If so by a lot or a little?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2021 at 4:27 PM, bladehunter said:

Hello all.  I was wondering if anyone can help me with this little 5 wood.  Specifically wondered age and any other specific info ( wondered what loft it is , it has to be 20 -23 degrees at least by the high flight.  ?)  .  Wondering about the face insert with large center pin and two outer ones.  I can’t seem to find a pic of one like this.  

i had it stashed in a old bag and found it today.  Hit it very well , and I have a pal who’s on a persimmon journey.  Thought I’d give it to him to send and have restored to play. Or at least a new face insert put in. It has a crack on the lower half .  Was just curious on its specifics.  

it’s a really sweet little club.  High straight and really easy to hit.  

01A3CF37-C88D-4FB3-B6B4-55E5D3FE2CDA.jpeg

2AB2CB42-BC7D-4742-9757-8032EEC91AF6.jpeg

0D96C836-F116-4CF2-9EE1-08959CBF1DC0.jpeg

0093EE27-775A-454E-8E97-7B250629BC35.jpeg

0EF26FF1-80DF-4CCF-9C43-D4DC6C73C4E0.jpeg

7C80B456-C8A6-4612-9B1D-9A9C86ABFF05.jpeg

2DEF291D-61F0-4BC6-89F8-33456E4CCA1D.jpeg

It sure looks like it may be this 77 year model. It looks like most of the other years that resembled this, were only available in a black finish. 

image.jpg

• Like 1