2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

TOUR Picks Weekly

touch

15 hours ago, touch said:

Last year we tried a few times to set something up where we would meet in the middle of the state but we were unable to find a date that worked for both of us. Then winter hit. Sometime in Febuary of this year NCL reached out to me and told me he and the misses were planning a trip to the western part of the state to visit a family member that lived within two hours of the AVL. The NCL's wondered if they were to set a date would I be able to meet the two of them and play a little golf together. Of course I said yes and once NCL told me his lodging reservations were set I began to get real excited. I though had experienced this level of anticipated golf excitement regarding playing with a thread brother for the first time once before. P48, the on the mend dude down in the Arizona desert was the first thread brother to reach out and ask, "what if I come to Asheville with my wife for a few days do you think we could get a round or two in together?"  Thank you Mr. B. for being the trail blazer. It was quite enjoyable to meet you in person and you sir are a fine player. 

On Monday May 9th at a little past noon I went to the driving range at Etowah Valley golf resort. I was half way into a large bucket when the cute couple from Chapel Hill came driving up in their EZ Go. NCL jumps out of the driver seat and asks, "could this be the one and only commish?" I walk over to our esteemed thread brother and shake his and Mrs. NCL's hand. " That I am fellow LP, it's great to meet you guys and I am looking forward to playing some golf with the two of you.....Welcome to Asheville," was my reply.  NCL and I share the same intitals L. P. so I figured that would add some magic to our first get together. 

The three of us had a 20 minute warm up session on the range and then we headed over to the practice putting green. While we rolled them I suggested the three of us do some longer range putting practice together, sort of a contest if you will. The Plattsburgh Cardinal schooled me bad in our little test consisting of 30 -50 footers. Warm up was over, it was time to head to the first tee. There was glorious weather in the mountains for our two days of golf.  Sunny skies, low humidity, light breezes and a temperature of 72*. The Golf Gods were definitely on our side.  

On the first tee it came to me to instill some calming reassurance to Mrs. NCL. I figured it must have been mghty intimidating for her to have to tee it up with her husband and his online friend on a foreign golf course that was 220 miles from home. I walked over to the petite Plattsburgh lady and told her the following. "Mrs. NCL ( used her real first name),  Yes I'm a serious golfer, but Do NOT let that intimidate you during the time we play together while you are in Asheville. I'd imagine you are a might uneasy going into this round today, but I guarantee you that by the 5th hole you will find yourself much more comfortable. See I play golf primarily to have fun, I know when to take it serious and battle my regular weekly opponents (that is one type of golf fun) and I too know when to play golf when the objective is sharing a fun time all afternoon with friends while recreating. 

A bit more on Mrs. NCL when I talk of my favorite hole at Etowah. 

I do believe she was much more calm after an hour of golf. The chemistry in our threesome was rather good out of the gate. Possibly it made her feel good to see her husband and his online picks thread buddy smiling away while hitting golf shots. The little lady battled. She was very tenacious. 

tenacious

adjective

: not easily pulled apart : COHESIVEa tenacious metal
b: tending to adhere or cling especially to another substancetenacious burs
2a: persistent in maintaining, adhering to, or seeking something valued or desired.

Let me tell you she put fourth a gutsy effort for two days.  Etowah has many creek croosings and some are of generous width. Each and every time over the two days we played when Mrs. NCL was faced with a forced carry of measurable distance she smoked her 3 wood across to safer ground. Never chunked one into trouble. Mrs. NCL is a quite the poised lady and being with the Jester for 4 + hours I bet was a lot to digest. When talking about my favorite hole I will tell you how I witnessed the lady of the house back in Chapel Hill's short game shot of the day. Thank you Ms. T for hanging tough with the boys for 36 holes. 

Here are some photos from our back 9 on the North during our first round together. 

Photo 1 we see NCL walking to his just short tee shot into the Par 3 1st hole on the North.

Photo 2 is what I have named the power line hole. This is #16 on the North and is a fine first steeply downhill and then back uphill par 5. There is plenty of width available to help you tame this b*cth. 

Photos 3,4,and 5 are of my favorite hole out of all 27 that they offer at Etowah. #6 on the North is a fairly tricky par 4. I play a 3 wood off the tee for positioning because you have to reach the flat spot in the narrow fairway over the pond just so. (photo 4) A sligtly off line drive will take the chance at par quickly away so I always pull fairway wood. If I nail my three wood I will have an 8 iron left downhill to a sliver thin back to front green that has a steeply banked creek in front. (photo 5) . Mrs. NCL was in the scruff next to the bunker greenside on #6 and hit her best short game shot of the day. I was standing nearby and witnessed her hit a punch shot with her putter up the steep side of the bunker and let it perfectly trundle down to 4 feet from the pin. One heck of a links golf style of chip it was. 

Photo 6 is of the 9th green on the South nine that we played the second day. It is of importance because the room the Blue Devil couple had was overlooking this green and is in this photo.  On their deck after our round we had an enjoyable visit. 

Photo 7 is # 5 on the North and here we see Mrs. NCL and her caddy on the ladies tee which is down the hill and in the fairway. Every time I photograph Ithis hole I capture golf grandeur. The surrounding green colors are impressive.

I have been told since a very young age that I am a true character and that I possess the gift of making people laugh. During our first 18 holes together I will always remember how I made the SUNY Plattsburgh Cardinal howl, gents he really laughed deeply, and this is the golf moment that I'll take away as most memorable to me from our two days of golf together. 

On our 17th hole a downhill par three that was playing 160 (#8 on the North) I was first to hit. I was really concentrating on nailing the pin. I was in a different mind zone for this one looking back. I pulled  6 iron. When I made contact I knew it was perfect. And in that moment I found myself more mentally in a round down at Tryon trying to beat Mike and the boys and surely not at Etowah for a casual round with Mr. NCL and his wife. 

So I get vocal.     I shout............

flushed it

it's right at it 

and then as the shot lands close to the pin I shriek BOOM!! 

Right behind me on tee box I hear NCL let out his biggest deepest laugh of the day.

I got 'em. LOL . I laughed at the reaction I recieved from my out of town friend. 

It landed 10 feet from the pin.  I didn't make the birdie putt but still. 

In the very last photo we see my Old North brother NCL taking his last approach shot of the day during our first round together.

Yeah fellas I had to deal with his extra effort to make a sexy golf swing finish pose for two damn days. 😄

Lance I thank you sir for coming to see me and for making some fabulous golf memories together. 🏌️‍♂️🔥

etowah 3 Lance in front of bunker.jpg

etowah 4 .jpg

my favorite hole #6 north.jpg

favorite  B.jpg

favorite C .jpg

Lance and Tanya's room behind South #9 green.jpg

Lance and Tanya on #5 north etowah.jpg

Lance posing on our final holes approach shot. .jpg

I was there and no one mentioned my El Grande entrance. Scheeeeeeeeeeeeeze. 

G0060189-2-e1548363873335.jpg

• Haha 2

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

22 hours ago, NCLancer said:

Well now that is quite a write-up!  Our time together was brief but very enjoyable and LP's photos and words mean much to both myself and Mrs. NCL.  Thank you for being a wonderful host and a fantastic golfing partner...let's do it again soon! 

You are welcome my friend. Oh we will be doing it again soon for sure NCL. 

I forgot in my recap to tell the boys how good a putter you are and that your putting stroke is very pure.  

Edited by touch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3,5,7  FW's  Even Flow Green   
TM                   M4      5 hybrid  Atmos 

TM                  P790   6-PW Recoil ESX

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  SS 

TM                  Spider cs  Iomic Absolute-X  

In His Own Words: Jack Nicklaus On "His Secrets" | Golf News and Tour  Information | Golf Digest

Picks 

LP                        Cantlay                           Xander                      Zalatoris

P48                     Cam Smith                      Xander                      Rors

CH                       Rahm                              Homa                         Rors 

doc                      Rahm                              Xander                       S. Im 

TI                         Hideki                             Ancer                         Lowry

Q                         Rahm                              Cam Young                Lowry

NCL                    Reed                               Homa                          Hoge

RS                       Cam Young                    Xander                        Rors 

• Like 1

All three of my horses are racing this weekend thankfully.

Cantlay   T17

Zalatoris T17

Xander    T29 

Commissioner touch has a question. 

Who's next? 

I'm guaranteeing great golf in here in the mountains. 

I send a big thank you to P48 and NCL.    Pioneers!   

Thanks gentlemen for bringing your "very fun to play with" golf energy my way.       💥🏌️‍♂️

Edited by touch
  • Like 3

On 6/2/2022 at 1:53 PM, touch said:

It's apparent that this thread is mostly comprised of old broken down golfers.

😅

nothing but the truth.  😅 

Edited by touch

On 6/2/2022 at 1:53 PM, touch said:

It's apparent that this thread is mostly comprised of old broken down golfers.

😅

Important Reminder..........   The brand new Old Guys Rule pick is comimg up in two weeks at the US Open. 

Edited by touch

Enjoyed my morning coffee visiting with Carl and Eileen.  

turkeys .jpg

Edited by touch
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Like 1

Edited by touch
  • Like 1

T8

T16

T42

is how I finished moving day.

Just cruising along.

Index of /Animated gifs/Sailing

Edited by touch

Jack Nicklaus Fan Mail Address And Email Address - Fanmail

Picks 

LP                        Cantlay                           Xander                      Zalatoris

P48                     Cam Smith                      Xander                      Rors

CH                       Rahm                              Homa                         Rors 

doc                      Rahm                              Xander                       S. Im 

TI                         Hideki                             Ancer                         Lowry

Q                         Rahm                              Cam Young                Lowry

NCL                    Reed                               Homa                          Hoge

RS                       Cam Young                    Xander                        Rors 

Always enjoyable listening to Jack in the booth for a spell at his tournament.  Thank you CBS Golf. 

The Columbus Kid 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Qqq123xx said:

Me likey. And I'm all in as long as there is a seat belt. Maybe two. 

You thrill seeker you. No way with my fear of heights would I enjoy that situation, but it is something different in pro golf viewing. 

• Like 1

For the US Open we will be making 4 picks. 

Partners | John Wayne Cancer Foundation | Cancer foundation, Support group,  Cancer

This is how it works. All participants select a player in the field of the U.S. Open that is at least 40 years of age.

A 5 point bonus will be awarded to the player who picked the older guy with the lowest score for the week. If your old dude misses the cut there are no negative points involved. You can not lose any points with this play. There is a chance that a few of us will select the same player and in the event that player has the lowest old guy score then all players that selected him will be awarded the 5 bonus points. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 12:32 AM, NCLancer said:

Well now that is quite a write-up!  Our time together was brief but very enjoyable and LP's photos and words mean much to both myself and Mrs. NCL.  Thank you for being a wonderful host and a fantastic golfing partner...let's do it again soon! 

I want in on this when my knee gets better. I am only 1.5-2hrs from Asheville. I’ll gladly make the drive and tee it up. Great pics and review, LP!

• Like 1

Points system 

Winner    ----------  10 points

Top 5      ----------    5 points

Top 10     -------- -    3 points

Top 20   ----------     2 points

Made cut ---------     1 point

Missed cut ------      -3 minus three points 

I just finished high tea with Hank the hawk. 

Edited by touch
  • Like 2

J. Rahm     T10     3pts.

S. Lowry    T33     1pt.

C. Young   T60      1pt.   Nice 84 from him today. 

5 pts. total

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

5 hours ago, CHuntsman said:

I want in on this when my knee gets better. I am only 1.5-2hrs from Asheville. I’ll gladly make the drive and tee it up. Great pics and review, LP!

Sounds great! 

Thank you CH.  

My Memorial results 

Cantlay      T3

Zalatoris    T5

Xander      T18

Two top 5's and a top 20 = 12 points for the week. 

LP finds himself once again sailing right along with smooth results during the first week of the second half. 😀

relax on beach cartoon animation character Stock Footage Video (100%  Royalty-free) 1042766140 | Shutterstock

Edited by touch
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, CHuntsman said:

1. Homa_T5 = +5pts

2. Rahm_T10 = +3pts

3. Rors_T18 = +2pts

Overall: +10pts

It was +12 points for the Great Lake State kid. 

It can't be seen in any other way..............blue beat red on their home turf this week.   😅 💪

Vector map of State of Michigan | Free SVG

Edited by touch