Looking to join a golf club near Old Town Alexandria, VA

Patxavier88

Hello everyone, new member to the forum here.  I have been in Old Town about 5 years now and am looking to get back into playing golf and join a club for our daughter to use the pool and my spouse and I to use workout facilities (fam of 3).   I am new to the CC scene and am looking to see what opinions people have about the clubs with 20 or so minutes of Old Town.  So far, Army Navy, Belle Haven, Springfield, and Mount Vernon are the ones I am in contact with regarding pricing for under 35(33YO). 

BH is the closest, but a significant increase in price so I am wondering if people think it is worth the initiation fee.  AN would be second highest in price ( I am a govt contractor so no status besides under 35 ).  I am a relatively "new" mid-high (higher end) handicap golfer, definitely a beginner but I have been out golfing before plenty of times and am just now starting to get into it more and take it more serious. 

I am not looking for an overly stuffy elitist like feel or group (not saying any of these are I really have minimal knowledge of them), but just want to enjoy myself golfing and with the other activities at the club.

Please provide all details and any and all opinions are more than welcome.

thanks!  

I have played each of them during inter-club competitions.  There are good folks at every one, and the golf courses are all good.  Mt. Vernon is perhaps the least interesting, but always in good shape.  Belle Haven is the most interesting to me, they had it renovated maybe 10 years ago, Washington Golf has recently been renovated, I haven't played it since then.  Army-Navy has a ton of members, but they have 27 holes in Arlington, as well as 18 holes in Fairfax.  Springfield is part of Club Corp, so your membership gets you additional opportunities for less expensive golf at other Club Corp courses.  For practice facilities, Belle Haven has the best, by a long shot, A-N would be second in that regard.  Springfield and Mt Vernon are much smaller.  I really don't know much about pool or tennis facilities at any of them.

To me, it would get down to proximity and cost.  If its inexpensive (in comparison), that doesn't help much if its too far to go to regularly.  I drive about a half-hour each way to my club, usually with my wife (we drive together most weekend days, and play together only about half of those days).  I don't mind it, but I regularly wish it was closer.  I don't want to join a closer club, I want MY club to be closer to me.  I'd guess that Springfield and Mt Vernon are something close to that distance for you, how often would your wife or daughter drive out to use the gym or pool?  

Good luck with your process!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, davep043 said:

I have played each of them during inter-club competitions.  There are good folks at every one, and the golf courses are all good.  Mt. Vernon is perhaps the least interesting, but always in good shape.  Belle Haven is the most interesting to me, they had it renovated maybe 10 years ago, Washington Golf has recently been renovated, I haven't played it since then.  Army-Navy has a ton of members, but they have 27 holes in Arlington, as well as 18 holes in Fairfax.  Springfield is part of Club Corp, so your membership gets you additional opportunities for less expensive golf at other Club Corp courses.  For practice facilities, Belle Haven has the best, by a long shot, A-N would be second in that regard.  Springfield and Mt Vernon are much smaller.  I really don't know much about pool or tennis facilities at any of them.

To me, it would get down to proximity and cost.  If its inexpensive (in comparison), that doesn't help much if its too far to go to regularly.  I drive about a half-hour each way to my club, usually with my wife (we drive together most weekend days, and play together only about half of those days).  I don't mind it, but I regularly wish it was closer.  I don't want to join a closer club, I want MY club to be closer to me.  I'd guess that Springfield and Mt Vernon are something close to that distance for you, how often would your wife or daughter drive out to use the gym or pool?  

Good luck with your process!

Thank you for the detailed reply and the time I appreciate it.  We would be able to drive out to SFGCC or Mt Vernon rather easily during weekends and evenings.  We currently go to the St James for our daughters activities, pool and fitness/ other activities and that is the exact same time drive as Mt Vernon, just different direction, and basically the same at SFGCC.  Belle Haven is certainly the closest, by a long shot, but we do not know anyone there and they require 4 co signers and are on a full stop allowing under 35 memberships at this time(20+k difference).  They are redoing their fee structure as well, and dues will be going up what I was told " a good amount" for the capital improvement fee.   I think at this point I have almost removed BH because of all of those, plus it being the most expensive.     

I am waiting to hear back from AN about what specials they are running for under 40 or 35 at this time.    For AN, I think you hit my reservations on the head with the ton of members being the major turn away for me and the price is closer to BH at that point.  There being 2 different locations, and a ton of other facilities to use was what keeps drawing me back though.

I think you make great points with cost v proximity and I do agree with the inexpensive not helping if its a far drive.   I can get to SFGCC and MTV in about 20 min with minimal traffic (SFGCC sometimes has more being off the beltway, but that area is USUALLY okay going that way).  Mt Vernon I have multiple options and they are rarely backed up more than a few minutes up by us, but BH is just over 1.8 miles door to door.  

I will certainly take what you said into account, and again I appreciate the help and being able to talk through he decision! 

• Like 1

Like @davep043 said... Cost vs Proximity are going to be your biggest concerns. 

You don't want to go and join a club because it's cheaper, and then never use it because it's too far of a drive. I think you need to sit down with your spouse and talk about these two questions.

1. Realistically, how much will your wife and daughter use the pool/workout facilities if it takes 30 minutes for them to drive there?"  
  2. Also, as a beginner golfer I imagine you'll want to take advantage of the practice facilities to get better so the same question applies to you. Do you honestly see yourself driving 30 minutes each way if you want to go hit some range balls one afternoon?

My club is approximately 25-30 minutes from my house, and when I play on the weekends I'm typically gone for 6+ hours. 30 minute drive + 30 minutes to warmup + 4 hours to play + 45 minutes to get a beer/food and hangout after the round + another 30 minute drive home = 6+ hours. 

Could you do that? Personally, it isn't a big deal for my situation as I don't have kids so time isn't necessarily a commodity for me. 

Edited by Abh159
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

Like @davep043 said... Cost vs Proximity are going to be your biggest concerns. 

You don't want to go and join a club because it's cheaper, and then never use it because it's too far of a drive. I think you need to sit down with your spouse and talk about these two questions.

1. Realistically, how much will your wife and daughter use the pool/workout facilities if it takes 30+ minutes for them to drive there?"  
  2. Also, as a beginner golfer I imagine you'll want to take advantage of the practice facilities to get better so the same question applies to you. Do you honestly see yourself driving 30+ minutes each way if you want to go hit some range balls one afternoon?

My club is approximately 25-30 minutes from my house, and when I play on the weekends I'm typically gone for 6+ hours. 30 minute drive + 30 minutes to warmup + 4 hours to play + 45 minutes to get a beer/food and hangout after the round + another 30 minute drive home = 6+ hours. 

Could you do that? Personally, it isn't a big deal for my situation as I don't have kids so time isn't necessarily a commodity for me. 

Thank you, yeah that makes a lot of sense.  I am trying to limit a bit of my time away, and do not want to be too far.  Mt Vernon does not have a fitness center, so that is what was pushing me towards SFGCC.  They are both about 16-22 min depending on traffic and time of travel.  What I was replying to Dave about when I see you posted is that BH is currently not accepting new under 35's and you need a good amount of people to sponsor so I think that is all that had me wondering if its the best option.  It would also be more than double initiation and a good amount more per month with their new structure.  All those together are what was pushing me away from that, and that would be the closest club.  The 3 others I mentioned are about all exactly 20 minutes away, which is doable, but not 2 miles away like BH ha.  

Thank you for the advice and I agree with both of you it is something we need to go over and test out a few times. I am contemplating using AN for their try out membership with monthly dues only and buying time to see if BH opens up for under 35's and to see if AN is something we would rather be at given the max amount of amenities.  I am still waiting for them to get back to me regarding dues, initiation, and other processes before that. 

Thank you for your time as well, I really appreciate the advice and others thought processes.  It definitely helps me with thinking it over and ultimately deciding. 

Living or working close to your club it critical.  The ability to quickly go to the club to hit balls, play a few holes, or use the fitness of pool facilities will allow you to make much more use of your club.  A 30-60  minute trip adds 1 or 2 hours on to the time needed for a short visit.

For 25 years, I was a private club member.  I learned that proximity to my club was a prime consideration.  After moving to Virginia and exploring clubs, instead of forking over a large initiation fee and making the dues commitment, I used to money to build a pool at home.  I play regularly with a group of enjoyable guys at a number of public and private courses.  There are a number of groups in northern VA that organize play at many private clubs. One gets to see a variety these privates at $75 per round.

A consideration for you, joining at an under-35 rate is what happens when you age beyond that.  Is and additional initiation fee required?  Higher dues?  Also, be sure that you plan to remain in the area.  An unexpected job change or relocation can cost you your sunk capital.  I’ve left behind a lot of money with clubs after career related relocation.

As I'm sure that you've learned, the DC area is not one of the country's best areas for golf, in terms of  both convenience and value.

• Like 1

I would join the “best club you can afford.”  I know this sounds a bit snobby but you would rather buy in once than multiple times and things are only getting more expensive.  Take advantage of the discount that you can get on initiation at your age (I know I did and the initiation cost is now 4x as expensive as I paid 4 years ago at my club).

The best courses close to DC happen to be on the Maryland side (Congressional, Columbia, Chevy Chase, etc.) and I personally would rather live on the Virginia side (lived in both areas).  I personally would consider one of these courses (even living in VA) before those you mentioned.

I have heard good things about Belle Haven, Washington Golf Club, River Bend, and enjoyed ANCC Arlington the time I played there.  Also, Robert Trent Jones Golf Club in Gainesville is a highly underrated course (nationally, and one of my all time favorites), but you probably don’t want to face a 1-2 hour drive each way except on weekends.

Edited by burnsniper
  • Like 1

On 4/27/2022 at 8:05 AM, Patxavier88 said:

Thank you everyone, these replies definitely helped me with my choice.  I ended up joining SGCC due to it being within 15min of me and having all the amenities I was looking for and some solid reciprocity.    thanks again!

Congratulations, I'm sure you'll enjoy Springfield, I have a good friend who's a member there.  Depending on your handicap level, ask about the interclub leagues.  I play in the "B-Team" league, which is for handicaps between about 5 and 16.  Its a good way to play some moderately competitive golf, and play a few of the other courses in the area.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 11:12 AM, davep043 said:

Springfield is part of Club Corp, so your membership gets you additional opportunities for less expensive golf at other Club Corp courses. 

Dave I belong to an area Club Corp (name now changed to "Invited") club and looked on the roster of associated courses. Springfield doesn't show.  I know that we have full privileges at many courses not owned by Invited (the new name is hard to get used to).  So perhaps Springfield has an agreement for us to have privileges. I've done this a couple times in the mid-Atlantic area.      

17 hours ago, davep043 said:

Congratulations, I'm sure you'll enjoy Springfield, I have a good friend who's a member there.  Depending on your handicap level, ask about the interclub leagues.  I play in the "B-Team" league, which is for handicaps between about 5 and 16.  Its a good way to play some moderately competitive golf, and play a few of the other courses in the area.

Thank you, I would consider myself back to a beginner / high handicapper for now.  I am going to get some lessons and work for a bit then I will definitely consider that.  Thanks again 

9 hours ago, cristphoto said:

Dave I belong to an area Club Corp (name now changed to "Invited") club and looked on the roster of associated courses. Springfield doesn't show.  I know that we have full privileges at many courses not owned by Invited (the new name is hard to get used to).  So perhaps Springfield has an agreement for us to have privileges. I've done this a couple times in the mid-Atlantic area.      

Its possible I misunderstood my friend, the member there, who has told me he has access to ClubCorp courses.  Is there perhaps some type of independent ClubCorp travel club membership?  Anyway, I apologize if I misled anyone.

12 minutes ago, davep043 said:

Its possible I misunderstood my friend, the member there, who has told me he has access to ClubCorp courses.  Is there perhaps some type of independent ClubCorp travel club membership?  Anyway, I apologize if I misled anyone.

They have reciprocity with a good amount of local clubs when the course is unavailable for play, perhaps that is what he meant.  Either way, great perk to have.  

On 4/22/2022 at 10:55 AM, DonatelloNobodie said:

There are a number of groups in northern VA that organize play at many private clubs. One gets to see a variety these privates at $75 per round

I would like more info on this if possible. Both for the group/social aspect and the getting on private courses aspect. I live in Alexandria and would like a regular group and to play a few other courses in the area

Edited by tungstenplug
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Patxavier88 said:

Not a lot, aeration 2x a year, a few jr tournaments, member guest etc etc.  A small select amount of times

I know we have an agreement with TPC Avenel/Potomac and we're letting their members play our course during their upcoming PGA Tournament.  Likewise we can go there if we're shut down.  Not an ongoing deal however - only for very special cases.  As stated prior the club doesn't have to be owned by Invited (formerly Club Corp) - only a deal made.  South River near Annapolis, Landsdowne in Leesburg, The Homestead in lower Virginia come to mind. We get privileges at those.  

Edited by cristphoto
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, davep043 said:

No problem Dave.  Invited has their fingers on so many deals its hard to keep up with them.

• Like 1