Using a LAB DF long putter?

NevinW

After a season of pretty abysmal putting, I acquired a 45 inch L.A.B. DF Long putter and started using it.  I have struggled with it too, with brief periods of good putting.  I'll make a few 5-8 putts and then suddenly miss couple of 18 inch putts.  I've played 5 competitive rounds with it and it has been a great disappointment.  I really struggle with speed and seem to mis-hit a lot of putts short and to the right.  

Should I be soling the putter flat or hold it with toe down and the shaft perpendicular to the ground.  It doesn't seem to make much difference but with the lack of torque soling it makes for sense to me.  Should I hold the left hand tight with the left elbow pointing at the target and putt with rocking of the shoulders or do it pendulum style with the left hand barely holding the grip and rocking it back and forth with the right hand.  It seems like I putt better when I take it back farther than I would for a conventional putt but every once in a while that leads to a putt that goes way past the cup.  

Any suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Were you fit for this putter or just bought one? I'm sure @labgolf can chime in but obviously soling the putter is probably best at least with most people. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

15 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Were you fit for this putter or just bought one? I'm sure @labgolf can chime in but obviously soling the putter is probably best at least with most people. 

I bought one with a lie of  79.5 degrees since I assumed that a long putter would work best being as upright as possible.  I may be wrong😟

2 minutes ago, NevinW said:

I bought one with a lie of  79.5 degrees since I assumed that a long putter would work best being as upright as possible.  I may be wrong😟

They recommend to get a fitting done, they're free to do a remote one. 

https://labgolf.com/remote-fitting/ 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

First of all, the LAB technology is valid but only works fully if the putter is soled.  LAB putters release down the line like nothing else on the market if they fit you AND are used that way.  The “no torque” thing is real and can improve results on a good stroke, but cannot fix a bad stroke.

I would urge you to get a lesson before to spend any more time or money on a putter.  The results you are describing sound for all the world like a decelerating stroke, which typically leads to two-way misses and especially a lot of missed short putts.  This is a super common flaw, VERY hard to self-diagnose, and no putter can fix it.  

If you can’t do a lesson with a good putting instructor, then a possible self-fix for a decel stroke would be to find a straight, flat putt and put two alignment sticks down with the distance between them equaling the width of your putter.  Use this homemade putting track to get the feeling of a shorter, smoother backswing and then taking the putter right down line between the two sticks.  This is where a LAB putter can be really helpful; it WILL release down the line. 

• Like 1

I’ll jump in here. I purchased a DF 2.1 Broomstick from a friend. I obviously was not fit for it, but when I rolled it, I was instantly making a ton of putts. I am a notoriously BAD putter. I needed a change. First round was the best putting round I had with it. 
 Fast fwd after watching too many YouTube videos in the proper way to setup and use it and now I am lost. I have tried several ways to grip it and several ways to stroke it (pendulum vs rocking) and now not putting well. 
What I do know for sure, sole it flat, grip it lite, and swing the base of the shaft towards the hole. Otherwise, rocking vs pendulum is up to you. I am sticking with pendulum. I smoke it past the hole every time when I rock. 
I will not give up on this because I am still rolling the rock better than ever. Still averaging 28 putts with 6 rounds on it. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Interested in following this topic.  I purchased a LAB 2.1 Long putter to practice with over the winter as I would like to compare it to my current putter on those 4-12 foot putts.  I have putted with face on long putters in the past but never "traditional long putting style", so looking forward to giving it a try and hearing what others are doing.   

• Like 1

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX 

I think I have found the grip and stroke to make this work. Bottom hand grip is almost like a bottom hand grip on a normal putter. Top hand has my thumb up over the top like Scott McCarron. I point my left elbow towards the hole like Adam Scott and then just rock the shoulders.Ball position is just inside my left heel.

Man this thing just puts the best roll on the ball I have ever seen. Several great practice session this week with it. Hope to get back to the same putting I had during my first round with it. Could not miss that day. 

Anyway, LAB is the real deal. I went to the new 2nd Swing in Scottsdale and tried a 34” DF 2.1 and was money on the practice green. Could easily game a normal length one too. 

Edited by OspreyCI
  • Like 2

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

This thing should be banned! 25 putts and just getting over it at any length and thinking I will make it. Rock the shoulders with perfect ball position and it’s going in! 2 over 74 because of putting. Thank you @labgolf

• Like 2

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

On 10/15/2022 at 10:41 PM, kenstl said:

Interested in following this topic.  I purchased a LAB 2.1 Long putter to practice with over the winter as I would like to compare it to my current putter on those 4-12 foot putts.  I have putted with face on long putters in the past but never "traditional long putting style", so looking forward to giving it a try and hearing what others are doing.   

I bought one too for something to do during the winter - just arrived a few days ago. I am strong putter - float around a 0 index.  I have always felt that I could get more consistent with 5 to 10 foot putts.  We have had two warms days in a row. Practiced yesterday and played today. 29 putts / one long 3 putt into a 25 mph gust / even par. Not one putt off line. Made one from 30+, very solid from 15 feet and in, four birdies, one missed putt inside of 5 feet. Pace was much better than expected. I didn’t want to like it this much.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Sawgrass Guy said:

Just bought an Odyssey 2 Ball Lined Broomstick…if I like it enough might pull the trigger on a L.A.B. Broomstick putter. 

Just wanna be sure before I drop $800.

I did the same thing, started messing with a wristlock style putting at the end of the year (Keegan style) but want to give the broomstick a whirl. Going to be tough to get a great feel for it by only working on the putting matt with it due to the midwest winter. The amount of times I've been on LAB's website looking at Mezz.1 broomsticks... 🤣

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 MKII 9.5°

Ping G425 Max 14.5° 

Callaway UW 21° 

Srixon ZX7 4-PW 

TaylorMade MG3 52° 

TaylorMade MG3 56°

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 60° 

Odyssey White Hot Versa One

Titleist Pro V1x

• 1 month later...

Update…. The LAB DF 2.1 Broomstick is crazy good. 8 rounds with it and averaging 28 putts a round. Wow. Just makes putting so easy. If I miss, it was a bad read. Every round I get the question about the “old man” putter. Couple holes into the round they want to try it. Lol

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

27 minutes ago, drza3 said:

Looking to try a DF 2.1 broomstick if anyone is looking to sell one. I want to compare to my Mezz max broomstick

If you do get one to compare, let us know how it goes. I would love to try a Mezz Max Broomstick. 

• Like 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

On 10/11/2022 at 12:55 PM, NevinW said:

After a season of pretty abysmal putting, I acquired a 45 inch L.A.B. DF Long putter and started using it.  I have struggled with it too, with brief periods of good putting.  I'll make a few 5-8 putts and then suddenly miss couple of 18 inch putts.  I've played 5 competitive rounds with it and it has been a great disappointment.  I really struggle with speed and seem to mis-hit a lot of putts short and to the right.  

Should I be soling the putter flat or hold it with toe down and the shaft perpendicular to the ground.  It doesn't seem to make much difference but with the lack of torque soling it makes for sense to me.  Should I hold the left hand tight with the left elbow pointing at the target and putt with rocking of the shoulders or do it pendulum style with the left hand barely holding the grip and rocking it back and forth with the right hand.  It seems like I putt better when I take it back farther than I would for a conventional putt but every once in a while that leads to a putt that goes way past the cup.  

Any suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Did you ever get your groove on?

13 hours ago, labgolf said:

Did you ever get your groove on?

I took a lesson and found that I was taking it back too far and too outside, leading to decelerating on the forward stroke.  I was also intermittently moving the left hand backward on the follow-though leading to a flip motion.  So far I am putting much better with it and have stuck with it.  Unfortunately, winter has slowed down my playing and practicing.  I hope to play tomorrow.    

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NevinW said:

I took a lesson and found that I was taking it back too far and too outside, leading to decelerating on the forward stroke.  I was also intermittently moving the left hand backward on the follow-though leading to a flip motion.  So far I am putting much better with it and have stuck with it.  Unfortunately, winter has slowed down my playing and practicing.  I hope to play tomorrow.    

Great to hear! Keep us posted

• Like 1

I can’t stop taking about the DF 2.1 Broomstick. I used to practice my putting for hours. Now I go to the putting green a few times a week and roll about 10 putts and that enough to keep it grooved. I just make EVERYTHING. 

• Like 2

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick