2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Help with Ireland Trip

And yet it is the American influence which drives up prices. The USD is the strongest currency and the vast majority of golf visitors to GB&I are from the US. More dollars chasing same tee times. I know that our AUD is way below in value so it costs us way more (on top of much greater travel costs). Others will be similar. 

I wonder what would happen to the golf courses in Scotland and Ireland if Americans stopped visiting? 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

30 minutes ago, Chanceman said:

And yet it is the American influence which drives up prices. The USD is the strongest currency and the vast majority of golf visitors to GB&I are from the US. More dollars chasing same tee times. I know that our AUD is way below in value so it costs us way more (on top of much greater travel costs). Others will be similar. 

Funny, all this time I thought the individual golf courses set their prices. Didn’t realize they consulted with American golfers before making decisions on green fees. Like anywhere, even Australia, different courses have different prices. Pretty sure a round at Royal Melbourne costs more than Royal Park. To blame green fee pricing on one country and it’s golfers is asinine.

22 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

Funny, all this time I thought the individual golf courses set their prices. Didn’t realize they consulted with American golfers before making decisions on green fees. Like anywhere, even Australia, different courses have different prices. Pretty sure a round at Royal Melbourne costs more than Royal Park. To blame green fee pricing on one country and it’s golfers is asinine.

It’s just supply and demand. No blame on Americans at all. Face facts though. If the USD collapsed in value, there would be fewer Americans going across the pond and inevitably prices would fall.

2 hours ago, Chanceman said:

It’s just supply and demand. No blame on Americans at all. Face facts though. If the USD collapsed in value, there would be fewer Americans going across the pond and inevitably prices would fall.

Compared to where the dollar was 2 years ago it is down almost 30%. Yet American golfers still are going to travel across the pond and play the great links courses. The tee sheets are all full most places. Of course many of those times are from trips postponed during Covid. Maybe it’s just that American golfers aren’t so cheap when it comes paying to playing great links courses? Anyone from any country can play the courses in Scotland and Ireland. The fact that many from other countries choose not to pay the price has nothing to do with Americans. It’s more to do with fact that they tend to be much more adverse to opening their wallets. 

28 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

Compared to where the dollar was 2 years ago it is down almost 30%. Yet American golfers still are going to travel across the pond and play the great links courses. The tee sheets are all full most places. Of course many of those times are from trips postponed during Covid. Maybe it’s just that American golfers aren’t so cheap when it comes paying to playing great links courses? Anyone from any country can play the courses in Scotland and Ireland. The fact that many from other countries choose not to pay the price has nothing to do with Americans. It’s more to do with fact that they tend to be much more adverse to opening their wallets. 

The USD is currently about .90 euro same as early 2020 pre covid. It got up to about 1:1 for a while which was the post covid surge when a lot of these price rises began. These kind of movements have a very real effect on prices. I know when I went to the US about 10 years ago our AU dollar was much higher and everything seemed cheap. So you spend!

Sorry for instigating this asinine debate - by bad a choice of words - Chancer I agree that the USD denominated golfers have a big influence on pricing in Ireland ad Scotland however Hammer you are absolutely correct that without the American golfers patronage these courses would struggle to maintain the spectacular courses and service that are there for all to enjoy - I was only moaning cos you can’t get what you want all the time - like a petulant child - anyway you are all correct - it’s about enjoying what is there and valuing that - I am going on a superb tour playing Tralee twice - so should be thankful for that and it leaves lots more to come in the future. We are all privileged in many ways that we can play!

Edited by AltC
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Chanceman said:

The USD is currently about .90 euro same as early 2020 pre covid. It got up to about 1:1 for a while which was the post covid surge when a lot of these price rises began. These kind of movements have a very real effect on prices. I know when I went to the US about 10 years ago our AU dollar was much higher and everything seemed cheap. So you spend!

While you are correct on the monetary side; however, your logic is faulty - you are treating that as the only variable.  Inflation in the US is at its highest levels in history and currently one of the highest in the world.

Inflation levels like this should mean you don't spend! 🙂 

image.png.a1007ad1d758d50a32f44176311bc478.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AltC said:

Sorry for instigating this asinine debate - by bad a choice of words - Chancer I agree that the USD denominated golfers have a big influence on pricing in Ireland ad Scotland however Hammer you are absolutely correct that without the American golfers patronage these courses would struggle to maintain the spectacular courses and service that are there for all to enjoy - I was only moaning cos you can’t get what you want all the time - like a petulant child - anyway you are all correct - it’s about enjoying what is there and valuing that - I am going on a superb tour playing Tralee twice - so should be thankful for that and it leaves lots more to come in the future. We are all privileged in many ways that we can play!

No worries..It's all a bit of banter.

The same thing happens in Arizona - everyone is complaining about the people from northern states, Canada and a few other countries for the inflated prices and limited tee times.  The worst courses in the Phoenix area have been charging over $100.  And when I say "worst", I mean the dog tracks of the state.  Tee times are impossible to come by.

At the end of the day, as you note, we are all privileged to play.

I would say we just need to start going to Vietnam or Thailand or another destination.    @Chanceman Vietnam is supposed to be quite good, my old boss/mentor always tells me I need to go play there.  And I still have Ria Bintan on my want to play list.

Let's decide on one and have a golf outing in a nonUS/Europe locale!!!

Edited by puttnforthe8
  • Like 1

I know supply and demand is probably the main driver of the surge in pricing, but I often wonder if our expectations for tour level conditioning is also part of the problem.  Perfectly manicured greens and pristine tee boxes come at a cost that gets passed on to the visiting golfer.  

• Like 1

2024 Bag

Cobra KING LTDx (9*) - MCA Tensei RAW White 6S

Cobra Radspeed 3W (13*) - MCA Kai'li White 7S

TM Stealth Plus 5W (19*) - Project X Hzrdus RDX Red 75S 

Cobra KING Tour MIM (4-G) - KBS C-Taper 120S

Sub 70 JB Forged FF (54,60L) - KBS S-Taper 120S

Odyssey White Hot Versa 7S

6 hours ago, ajgoodal.704 said:

I know supply and demand is probably the main driver of the surge in pricing, but I often wonder if our expectations for tour level conditioning is also part of the problem.  Perfectly manicured greens and pristine tee boxes come at a cost that gets passed on to the visiting golfer.  

With the world economy right now, everything is more expensive. You are right, I had no qualms paying €250 euros to play Lahinch, Tralee, and Ballybunion. At some point, if the price gets too high for some courses I’m sure rounds played would go down. Obviously for the courses in Scotland and Ireland they are not there yet. With my group, it is cheaper for us to go to Scotland, Portugal, or Ireland for a week to play than it is to go to a resort here. Everyone is free to pay what they want and feel is worth it to play a course. I personally, won’t pay $600 to play Pebble again. However, I don’t blame others or their country that do pay that amount for driving up the price because that would be really ignorant. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

I would say we just need to start going to Vietnam or Thailand or another destination.    @Chanceman Vietnam is supposed to be quite good, my old boss/mentor always tells me I need to go play there.  And I still have Ria Bintan on my want to play list.

Let's decide on one and have a golf outing in a nonUS/Europe locale!!!

Will be in Thailand for an annual tour end of September- currently in the Philippines where both golf and beer are cheap and readily available- never played in Vietnam but have been there many times - the golf there is certainly gaining traction and popularity- lots of guys from here go over there regularly to play golf. 
Wait a minute - what am I saying - don’t want hordes of golfers coming over to SE Asia tropical golf paradise and spoiling it for us “locals” - hehe - joking always welcome, member at two clubs here both have 36 holes of spectacular tropical golf - it is quite difficult to get tee times but still manage to play 4 times a week!! As for value for money - the 100 USD “for a dog track” stretches a long long way over here. That would be the whole day - golf, lunch, beers, caddie tip, transport- and still leave enough for dinner and going out later!

• Haha 1

One funny story from Thailand - I organised a tour maybe 5 years back and my American mate - a very senior accountant - came up to me at breakfast on the last day very worried about the bill for the tour (I asked everyone to sort this individually at the office in the morning in the bar the night before) He went to pay but was sure they had messed up his bill - included was Airport transfers ( 2hrs each way) Hotel for 5 nights inclusive of breakfast, 4 rounds of golf, transport to and from golf. He said with a worried look - they only charged me 540 USD - I laughed, then explained that this was correct - he was astonished - how could it be so little??? I just said that was the deal but it if he wanted to leave a small tip for the staff that would be much appreciated.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/29/2023 at 2:37 PM, ajgoodal.704 said:

Hammer I've considered dumping Portrush at 340 pounds and spending a day at Rosapenna playing St. Pats and Sandy Hills for less.  

This is a good shout. Portrush is fantastic, and a great town for a pint, but there are plenty of alternatives.

Rosapenna have 3 great courses and a couple of equally good watering holes nearby (Harbour Bar, Singin Pub and Glen Bar are highly recommended). However, if you want a more hospitable experience I'd go for Ballyliffin. 36 holes of golfing excellence plus a 9 hole par 3 course, great members and it's a real members club, while Rosapenna very much is not.

If you plan a couple of days in Ballyliffin there's a good chance you'll meet some members in the bar after day 1 and get out for local rates on day 2. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, fullstop said:

This is a good shout. Portrush is fantastic, and a great town for a pint, but there are plenty of alternatives.

Rosapenna have 3 great courses and a couple of equally good watering holes nearby (Harbour Bar, Singin Pub and Glen Bar are highly recommended). However, if you want a more hospitable experience I'd go for Ballyliffin. 36 holes of golfing excellence plus a 9 hole par 3 course, great members and it's a real members club, while Rosapenna very much is not.

If you plan a couple of days in Ballyliffin there's a good chance you'll meet some members in the bar after day 1 and get out for local rates on day 2. 

I agree, much better hospitality at Ballyliffin than Rosapenna. 

1 hour ago, Chanceman said:

RP 340 quid?? Phew they really do think they are something. Ten percent per annum increases. Glad I played it a few years ago.

I spoke with the Pro and General Manager when I was there in October. Having The Open has become the golden goose for them and they are maximizing revenue. They are limiting visitor tee times to keep the members happy, so they have raised the prices because they know every time will be booked. It’s most definitely NOT a £340 golf course.

4 hours ago, hammergolf said:

I agree, much better hospitality at Ballyliffin than Rosapenna. 

I will stand up for St Pats...it is special. A clear jump on Ballyliffin...if you like a bit of funk. I spent three days playing St Pat's last September and was highly impressed. Yes, the clubhouse has no soul, but I will also say I was treated very well at Rosa by the staff and members. Spent a memorable rainy afternoon in the bar watching hurling with members. I would be quite content playing St Pat's, Otway, Cruit and Gweedore. Between these four courses you will get at the heart and soul of Irish golf and golfers. 

5 hours ago, El Gringo said:

I will stand up for St Pats...it is special. A clear jump on Ballyliffin...if you like a bit of funk. I spent three days playing St Pat's last September and was highly impressed. Yes, the clubhouse has no soul, but I will also say I was treated very well at Rosa by the staff and members. Spent a memorable rainy afternoon in the bar watching hurling with members. I would be quite content playing St Pat's, Otway, Cruit and Gweedore. Between these four courses you will get at the heart and soul of Irish golf and golfers. 

Don't get me wrong, you'll be treated well at Rosapenna but you're very unlikely to get out for a cent less than the asking price with the Casey's running the place. My point was that if you're knocking around Ballyliffin for a couple of days, much more chance of getting a few euro off the green fee, whether it's because you get in with the members or the just start to recognise you. Ballyliffin has a much more local member base and there tends to be a bit more happening around the clubhouse as well than Rosapenna. 

Otway is a gem by the way! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fullstop said:

Don't get me wrong, you'll be treated well at Rosapenna but you're very unlikely to get out for a cent less than the asking price with the Casey's running the place. My point was that if you're knocking around Ballyliffin for a couple of days, much more chance of getting a few euro off the green fee, whether it's because you get in with the members or the just start to recognise you. Ballyliffin has a much more local member base and there tends to be a bit more happening around the clubhouse as well than Rosapenna. 

Otway is a gem by the way! 

You are probably right. Proper member clubs are often more congenial. That said, I am not choosing to play a course or hang out for a few days on the hope of an invite. If I have an invite in advance I am usually all over it. 😎