True aim ball marker

Z1ggy16

Has anybody used this yet? I'm an aimpoint express user but I find myself struggling aligning my ball to where I my starting line is and thought this marker might help. 

$100 a bit steep but I do see how this could simplify things a bit. 

Edit: Since this thread started, two major things have come about:

1) Prototype ball alignment tool, made by SEGamer. DM him for details

2) Some math/calculations regarding Point of Aim with respect to slope %, distance, and even stimp. See attached file for a printable sheet you can put into your scorecard holder.

You're welcome.

626682176_Diagram2ftIncrements(1).pptx

Edited by Z1ggy16
  • Like 4

The $100 price point is a turn off for sure but I think I've seen some cheaper similar ones online you could try before committing to this if you want something nicer.

As for aiming the ball I don't use aimpoint I wouldn't mind learning it but no instructors near me. But for aiming I like to see and pick my line behind the ball so I started putting the line on the opposite side of the hole, adjust if needed and walk up and putt. Worked well, started doing a longer line so when looking down at the ball I see like half a line so I just set up and putt to that.

Not sure if that makes sense or help but the first part I know I've seen similar online.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

10 hours ago, MattM97 said:

The $100 price point is a turn off for sure but I think I've seen some cheaper similar ones online you could try before committing to this if you want something nicer.

As for aiming the ball I don't use aimpoint I wouldn't mind learning it but no instructors near me. But for aiming I like to see and pick my line behind the ball so I started putting the line on the opposite side of the hole, adjust if needed and walk up and putt. Worked well, started doing a longer line so when looking down at the ball I see like half a line so I just set up and putt to that.

Not sure if that makes sense or help but the first part I know I've seen similar online.

There's several videos online that give you like 99% of what you need to know for aimpoint express... it's' extremely easy to learn. Honestly though (and this is also echoed by Tim himself), I really do not think one can sense the difference between even 1% of slope unless you really *really* practice a lot. And .5* come into play too... Half the time I just guess, which is why Tim's' method makes more sense to me - instead of 1-4% slope, it's more like does it seem like it's breaking a lot, or just a little? Having more qualitative descriptions makes it easier as tbh, most of the time I'm picking either 2 or 2.5% unless I feel it breaking a ton, then I go 4 or 4.5%. What it did teach me though is that inside 5ft, you really don't need to leave the cup unless you''re on very fast greens or on 4% or more slope.

9 hours ago, SE Gamer said:

Interesting idea. I don't do aimpoint, but could still see some benefit to it.

Absolutely no way I'd pay $100 though. Would try one of the amazon options, or just make my own. 

I worry the $10 on amazon doesn't have good QC, meaning the angles aren't going to be precise or completely accurate.

I also wonder how you use the tool when greens get slower or faster, or you have downhill vs uphill. With aimpoint, you can adjust for this by moving your fingers closer or further away from your face,  which is effectively changing the angle that your start line is relative to the straight putt. I would assume you can do the same thing by moving the marker closer or further away from the ball... but, by how much?

I'm honestly tempted to email Tim. For $100 for a $2 piece of metal with some paint, we should at least get one free email exchange with Tim 😄

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

There's several videos online that give you like 99% of what you need to know for aimpoint express... it's' extremely easy to learn. Honestly though (and this is also echoed by Tim himself), I really do not think one can sense the difference between even 1% of slope unless you really *really* practice a lot. And .5* come into play too... Half the time I just guess, which is why Tim's' method makes more sense to me - instead of 1-4% slope, it's more like does it seem like it's breaking a lot, or just a little? Having more qualitative descriptions makes it easier as tbh, most of the time I'm picking either 2 or 2.5% unless I feel it breaking a ton, then I go 4 or 4.5%. What it did teach me though is that inside 5ft, you really don't need to leave the cup unless you''re on very fast greens or on 4% or more slope.

I worry the $10 on amazon doesn't have good QC, meaning the angles aren't going to be precise or completely accurate.

I also wonder how you use the tool when greens get slower or faster, or you have downhill vs uphill. With aimpoint, you can adjust for this by moving your fingers closer or further away from your face,  which is effectively changing the angle that your start line is relative to the straight putt. I would assume you can do the same thing by moving the marker closer or further away from the ball... but, by how much?

I'm honestly tempted to email Tim. For $100 for a $2 piece of metal with some paint, we should at least get one free email exchange with Tim 😄

I'd bought a digital level thinking I might mess around with it. But ultimately haven't. Been playing since I was 5 (nearly 35 years). Reading greens isn't something I really struggle with. So aimpoint seems like more trouble and time than it's worth.

As far as worrying about QC, I wouldn't. We're not talking about some precision instrument that's going in a space shuttle. It's a piece of metal or plastic with some lines on it specific to degrees. Odds are they're stamped or injected. So unless the mold is wrong, there really isn't any place where poor QC would result in a "dud". 

FWIW, anyone with a basic understanding of CAD could design one of these to a very high degree of precision in just a few minutes.

• Like 4

Srixon ZX5 MKII 9.5°

TaylorMade Burner Superfast 15° 

Callaway UW 21° 

Srixon ZX7 4-PW 

Callaway Jaws Raw 50° 

Callaway Jaws Raw 54°

Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 58° 

LAB DF 3

Callaway Chrome Soft X Triple Track

22 minutes ago, SE Gamer said:

I'd bought a digital level thinking I might mess around with it. But ultimately haven't. Been playing since I was 5 (nearly 35 years). Reading greens isn't something I really struggle with. So aimpoint seems like more trouble and time than it's worth.

As far as worrying about QC, I wouldn't. We're not talking about some precision instrument that's going in a space shuttle. It's a piece of metal or plastic with some lines on it specific to degrees. Odds are they're stamped or injected. So unless the mold is wrong, there really isn't any place where poor QC would result in a "dud". 

FWIW, anyone with a basic understanding of CAD could design one of these to a very high degree of precision in just a few minutes.

Yeah I'm kind of surprised someone hasn't already 3D printed one and started selling them on eBay... I got a few of the soccer ball engraved 3D printed ball markers right after Callaway came out with the pattern on their balls. I know it's just some simple math -  Feels like literal robbery paying $100 for what Im pretty certain costs them about $5 or $10 to make, but it somehow seems more "precise looking" than the ones I see on Amazon.

Guess my main desire for a marker is because when I stand behind the ball and pick my line (I see putts in straight lines, not the high point with a bend), when I step back over the ball, that point seems a little altered or maybe I've lost where it is completely. I'm not a bad putter, in fact Arccos says it's my best aspect, but as I work my way to be a constant 70s shooter, I'm realizing that those 6-8 footers need to start dropping for par more often than they don't. Being off by that slightest amount on a breaking putt is the difference between it going in vs not.

2 minutes ago, 3PuttPar2 said:

Yes, this is the one.. But notice how the lines are a bit different? Just looking quickly, it seems they would converge at a different point compared to the True Aim.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Z1ggy16 said:

I'll have to rewatch those, I do kinda feel out the slope with my feet but I'm not out there guessing percentages more the direction of it. I should really spend some time on practice greens feeling out a line hitting a putt and see how it reacts just to build that feel with my feet and eyes. 

As for the QC I get that I think I've seen some similar-ish ones from other companies not on Amazon, they might have better QC to them but seems like you want this one just not for $100 which is totally fair. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Just now, MattM97 said:

I'll have to rewatch those, I do kinda feel out the slope with my feet but I'm not out there guessing percentages more the direction of it. I should really spend some time on practice greens feeling out a line hitting a putt and see how it reacts just to build that feel with my feet and eyes. 

As for the QC I get that I think I've seen some similar-ish ones from other companies not on Amazon, they might have better QC to them but seems like you want this one just not for $100 which is totally fair. 

I took a level out to a green and practiced for a while... If you use spiked shoes honestly I don't think you can tell between 1 and 2, or 2 and 3, etc. You can definitely feel between flat and not flat, but guessing down to .5% is just that, a guess. I was almost never correct at slope % as I walked around to random spots.

On the practice greens I noticed that what felt flat to me, was almost always around .5 to .75%, and that something feeling "not flat" but "not severe" was generally about 2-2.5%, and then anything glaringly obvious was 3 or more percent. On course I use that more qualitative method now which has really helped me play  the right amount of break. It's pretty much a fact that Ams universally under read putts and it was pretty crazy once I started using aimpoint, how much more break I needed to be playing on long putts, but oddly enough, how much less break I needed to play on short ones.

9 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

Yeah I'm kind of surprised someone hasn't already 3D printed one and started selling them on eBay... I got a few of the soccer ball engraved 3D printed ball markers right after Callaway came out with the pattern on their balls. I know it's just some simple math -  Feels like literal robbery paying $100 for what Im pretty certain costs them about $5 or $10 to make, but it somehow seems more "precise looking" than the ones I see on Amazon.

Guess my main desire for a marker is because when I stand behind the ball and pick my line (I see putts in straight lines, not the high point with a bend), when I step back over the ball, that point seems a little altered or maybe I've lost where it is completely. I'm not a bad putter, in fact Arccos says it's my best aspect, but as I work my way to be a constant 70s shooter, I'm realizing that those 6-8 footers need to start dropping for par more often than they don't. Being off by that slightest amount on a breaking putt is the difference between it going in vs not.

Yeah. I've designed and printed all sorts of stuff. To include some DIY clips for marking my balls with some unique logos. As I said, CAD is super precise. And 3D printers these days are also very accurate. Have printed parts with holes for roll pins to within a couple thousandths of what's spec'd. 

$100 is absolutely robbery for that part. In spite of being milled and stainless, that's an outrageous price to be asking. 

I'm frankly tempted to design one up just because I can. Would literally take less than 15 minutes. And could be printed up for pennies. 

• Thanks 1

Yes. I have one. It matches up with what I perceive as 1, 2, 3, 4 finger slopes and works, at least for me, the way it should helping me with lining up the ball according to my Aimpoint Express read BUT, although I use the mark to mark my ball, I rarely use it to assist in aiming my ball because the groups I play in emphasize playing fast (walking 4some 3.5 hours; 6, 7, 8-somes in just under 4 hours). The initial lining up the center line directly to the hole just takes too damn long and if you don’t get that right, it screws up the final aiming line.

Perhaps I’ll use it in tournament play when I can’t find something on the green to aim at or if I’m in the middle of an abnormally slow moving round.

Is it worth $100 and would I buy it again? Nope, but it is a neat looking ball marker but that in no way justifies the price if you don’t use it. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, SE Gamer said:

Yeah. I've designed and printed all sorts of stuff. To include some DIY clips for marking my balls with some unique logos. As I said, CAD is super precise. And 3D printers these days are also very accurate. Have printed parts with holes for roll pins to within a couple thousandths of what's spec'd. 

$100 is absolutely robbery for that part. In spite of being milled and stainless, that's an outrageous price to be asking. 

I'm frankly tempted to design one up just because I can. Would literally take less than 15 minutes. And could be printed up for pennies. 

Yeah I think it's a bit of a cash grab by Tim but I respect his ideas/methods for wanting to help people improve. I just looked... you can grab a 12' bar of 1" diameter 303 for like $290 bucks. Considering these are 1/8", that means the raw material cost is around $.25, and whatever the tiny amount of paintfill costs. Rest of the price is machine and human labor plus whatever insane markup Betti is tacking on.

I watched an interview Tim gave to some guy, and I think the same info is on his website but he basically gives a hint at what angles are used for each line. If you do mock something up, I'd be interested in talking about it and maybe buying some proto's off you.  Not trying to screw Tim over or steal IP but his pricing is more reflective of the luxury of having it made by Betti more than anything, which I really don't care about.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

Yeah I think it's a bit of a cash grab by Tim but I respect his ideas/methods for wanting to help people improve. I just looked... you can grab a 12' bar of 1" diameter 303 for like $290 bucks. Considering these are 1/8", that means the raw material cost is around $.25, and whatever the tiny amount of paintfill costs. Rest of the price is machine and human labor plus whatever insane markup Betti is tacking on.

I watched an interview Tim gave to some guy, and I think the same info is on his website but he basically gives a hint at what angles are used for each line. If you do mock something up, I'd be interested in talking about it and maybe buying some proto's off you.  Not trying to screw Tim over or steal IP but his pricing is more reflective of the luxury of having it made by Betti more than anything, which I really don't care about.

Just wonder if you couldn't just 3d print on with the same lines. Obviously, this is not a new concept there are tons of these already on the market. He wasn't the first to come up with this, he refined it and is willing to add training which is what you are paying for. If you already no aim point, I think any of the cheaper markers will work just as well. Vector putt has been on usga list for awhile I think. 

https://www.amazon.com/Vectorputt-Golf-Ball-Marker-Alignment/dp/B00ACNASX4

• Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

I'm all for supporting folks as well. But within reason. At $30-40, it'd still be overpriced. But at least tolerable. 

You figure, I just bought a milled putter from GolfWorks that was only $79 for the head. That's a lot more metal, tooling, machining, and time for something like a putter. Yet even that's less than a coin sized chunk of metal with a few lines on it.

Will keep you posted on whether I try to mock one up.

50 minutes ago, sethdavidsdad said:

Just wonder if you couldn't just 3d print on with the same lines. Obviously, this is not a new concept there are tons of these already on the market. He wasn't the first to come up with this, he refined it and is willing to add training which is what you are paying for. If you already no aim point, I think any of the cheaper markers will work just as well. Vector putt has been on usga list for awhile I think. 

https://www.amazon.com/Vectorputt-Golf-Ball-Marker-Alignment/dp/B00ACNASX4

Ah that vector one seems better than the more expensive $10 one linked above. I agree, part of the price is that Tim is willing to chat with you (although not sure how much chatting, as in.. maybe 1 short email about questions you could have) after your purchase.

The one thing I would be interested to know is how to change the positioning of any of these kinds of aim point devices when things like green speed & uphill vs downhill change. Obviously you could change the position of the marker relative to the ball, but you'd have to do tons of trial and error to figure out how much. My guess is Tim already knows down to very fine precision. In that case, maybe the $90 difference is worth paying to get a more detailed instruction on the use of this kind of tool instead of spending hours on different greens trying to figure it out.

26 minutes ago, SE Gamer said:

I'm all for supporting folks as well. But within reason. At $30-40, it'd still be overpriced. But at least tolerable. 

You figure, I just bought a milled putter from GolfWorks that was only $79 for the head. That's a lot more metal, tooling, machining, and time for something like a putter. Yet even that's less than a coin sized chunk of metal with a few lines on it.

Will keep you posted on whether I try to mock one up.

Yes let me know, although the Vector putting marker linked above seems pretty good and is $4 haha, although I am still interested in something that could offer even more utility.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Z1ggy16 said:

Ah that vector one seems better than the more expensive $10 one linked above. I agree, part of the price is that Tim is willing to chat with you (although not sure how much chatting, as in.. maybe 1 short email about questions you could have) after your purchase.

The one thing I would be interested to know is how to change the positioning of any of these kinds of aim point devices when things like green speed & uphill vs downhill change. Obviously you could change the position of the marker relative to the ball, but you'd have to do tons of trial and error to figure out how much. My guess is Tim already knows down to very fine precision. In that case, maybe the $90 difference is worth paying to get a more detailed instruction on the use of this kind of tool instead of spending hours on different greens trying to figure it out.

I don't think it's anything that you can just learn and be 100% on. Similar to aim point you have to still make some guesses based on feel and calculations. In the webinar he did on skillest he discusses a lot of the variables don't think you can get 100% on any putt but you can get close.  

Vokeys SM9 56,60

12 hours ago, Z1ggy16 said:

Yes let me know, although the Vector putting marker linked above seems pretty good and is $4 haha, although I am still interested in something that could offer even more utility.

I designed one this afternoon, and am printing it now. Not sure on the overall size of it. But the angles would remain the same regardless. And it'll take 5 seconds to re-scale if needed.

As far as utility, it might be possible to make it two sided. One side for quicker greens, one side for slower. 

But as someone else stated, there are so many variables that any "system" like this will require the end user to adapt it to work for them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SE Gamer said:

I designed one this afternoon, and am printing it now. Not sure on the overall size of it. But the angles would remain the same regardless. And it'll take 5 seconds to re-scale if needed.

As far as utility, it might be possible to make it two sided. One side for quicker greens, one side for slower. 

But as someone else stated, there are so many variables that any "system" like this will require the end user to adapt it to work for them.

That could be useful, would also serve as a downhill vs uphill, too. 

I also wonder what green speed the True aim was calibrated to... Based on Tims comments, I'd wager no faster than 10, probably around a 9. It was interesting to hear him say the fastest greens on tour measured by him rolled around 11-12. 

@SE Gamer that looks like an awesome prototype! Props to you for crafting that so quickly. I personally like the color scheme 👍 If you ever want to sell one I'd rather support you than the companies on Amazon

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 MKII 9.5°

TaylorMade Burner Superfast 15° 

Callaway UW 21° 

Srixon ZX7 4-PW 

Callaway Jaws Raw 50° 

Callaway Jaws Raw 54°

Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 58° 

LAB DF 3

Callaway Chrome Soft X Triple Track

14 minutes ago, 3PuttPar2 said:

@SE Gamer that looks like an awesome prototype! Props to you for crafting that so quickly. I personally like the color scheme 👍 If you ever want to sell one I'd rather support you than the companies on Amazon

Thanks! I enjoy tinkering with designs. My day job has nothing to do with this sort of stuff. Picked up printing as a hobby and taught myself CAD on a whim. 

Might be willing to print some up for others. I do sell some of my prints. But that's only been with my workshop related designs. Will let you know.

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2022 at 8:11 AM, Z1ggy16 said:

Who’s Tim?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

@SE Gamer Yeah that looks cool for sure, for a proto, the way it looks doesn't really matter. In the Agile world you just wanna pump out a proof of concept as quickly as possible, which you did.

It's winter here so I can't test it yet but I'm 100% down to toss you some Freedom Bucks for one to try one out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SE Gamer said:

@3PuttPar2 @sethdavidsdad @Z1ggy16

First one came out pretty good. While I've got plenty of tools and whatnot, I had to dip into the wife's supplies for the paint. Used some fabric paint because the bottles have a needle type tip. Overfilled the lines, let it dry, then did a quick and ugly sanding job. 

Size wise, I think it'd need to be scaled down a hair. From pics online, I'm now seeing it looks to be the same width as a standard golf ball. Would probably use some different paint colors as well. But I was working with what I had for an impromptu mock-up.

399148557_BallMaker.jpg.b13fd4cc3f965e20d6e85df80c6a1999.jpg

That looks awesome. 

any chance you would share the design. I have a printer.

• Like 1

Vokeys SM9 56,60

3 hours ago, SE Gamer said:

@3PuttPar2 @sethdavidsdad @Z1ggy16

First one came out pretty good. While I've got plenty of tools and whatnot, I had to dip into the wife's supplies for the paint. Used some fabric paint because the bottles have a needle type tip. Overfilled the lines, let it dry, then did a quick and ugly sanding job. 

Size wise, I think it'd need to be scaled down a hair. From pics online, I'm now seeing it looks to be the same width as a standard golf ball. Would probably use some different paint colors as well. But I was working with what I had for an impromptu mock-up.

399148557_BallMaker.jpg.b13fd4cc3f965e20d6e85df80c6a1999.jpg

That looks fantastic!

A suggestion - put in a blunt small spike (kinda like those plastic free ball markers you get at some clubs) at the bottom that anchors the marker to the ground so when you are trying to line up the center line of the marker to the hole, all you have to do is rotate the marker rather than have to shuffle/move/nudge the marker back and forth. 

Would love to get one of your creations but I don't want to spend $100 again for a ball marker. LOL. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@SE Gamer Yeah that looks cool for sure, for a proto, the way it looks doesn't really matter. In the Agile world you just wanna pump out a proof of concept as quickly as possible, which you did.

It's winter here so I can't test it yet but I'm 100% down to toss you some Freedom Bucks for one to try one out.

Thanks! Scaled it down slightly so that it'd be the same width as a ball. Overlaid an image of the milled version and it's basically spot on. So it's pretty much gtg. Outside of color scheme or any other "bonus" features.

Will let you know if I print some up for others.

• Thanks 3