2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Mizuno JPX 921 vs JPX 923

66csrc

I think it varies by model. Not expecting much difference from Tour/Forged but Hot Metal could feel different as those are the most "technology heavy" ones

Paradym 9 + Vanquish

Stealth 2+ 3w + Ventus Blue

Callaway UT 2024 Tour Issue 18 + KBS PGH

Mizuno 923 Tour 4-P + ProjectX LZ

Cleveland RTX 6 50 55 60

Toulon Design Vista + BGT Tour Stability

I have a brand new set of 921 Hot Metal Pros with Recoil 95s I am trying to sell.  I am ordering 923 HM standards without even hitting them.  Reviews I have read say feel is markedly improved.  I think they are gonna be hard to beat for a cast club; crazy ball speed, feel great for a cast club, and still have decent spin.

3 hours ago, Ripken08 said:

I have a brand new set of 921 Hot Metal Pros with Recoil 95s I am trying to sell.  I am ordering 923 HM standards without even hitting them.  Reviews I have read say feel is markedly improved.  I think they are gonna be hard to beat for a cast club; crazy ball speed, feel great for a cast club, and still have decent spin.

Yeah my friend is playing HM and I'm just so jealous that he's constantly getting 1.45+ smash on even a 9i 😄 

Paradym 9 + Vanquish

Stealth 2+ 3w + Ventus Blue

Callaway UT 2024 Tour Issue 18 + KBS PGH

Mizuno 923 Tour 4-P + ProjectX LZ

Cleveland RTX 6 50 55 60

Toulon Design Vista + BGT Tour Stability

I played the 921 hot metal pro irons for virtually all of the season last year and for the most part absolutely love them. They were so consistent and straight hitting. My two biggest issues with them were that because they were fairly low spinning for me that when our greens were somewhat firm and fast at different times in the year I had a bit of trouble holding greens with irons that normally I know I should. The other issue I had was at the long end of the bag. My five iron in the set was actually stronger lofted than a four iron in an older set that I had. I found the longest iron I was able to keep in the bag was the six because I was not getting enough height for the five to have any use other than from punch-outs from under trees.

Because the 923s were coming out the forged model went on sale for a significant price drop at one point and I was able to pick them up at a really great price.

They have the project x i o shaft which is a little bit lighter which my 54 year old body appreciates. Additionally they hit a little bit higher with a little bit more spin than the hot metal pros yet overall distance is only 2 to 5 yards shorter per club at the long end and not significantly different at the short end. I have noticed I am holding greens better and I shot my career low round and first under par (70)round of my life at the end of the season..

I briefly demoed the 923 hot metal pros in the simulator and I certainly can tell that they feel better than the previous model. I do have some slight concerns that they strengthened the lofts even further.

I am very happy with the 921 forged and will be staying with them for the upcoming season.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2023 at 1:53 PM, Ripken08 said:

Ordered my 923 Hot Metal standards today 🙂  And I'm keeping them all season darn it!

I have my 923 Forged on order, but I will tell you I saw these in a golf shop on Saturday and they are fantastic looking.   Also, I loved how the 8-pw looked over my 921 Forged.  They have tweaked those clubs some and look great as scoring clubs.  This JPX 923 line is solid. 

Edited by TeeTime907

1 hour ago, Tom Dixon said:

I’d love your thoughts on the JPX 923 HMPs or HMs for a 12 HC.  The reviews have been all over the board on this. I know ultimately it will come down to fitting , but was interested your thoughts/ experiences.  

You definitely can handle the Hot Metals, definitely can handle the Hot Metal High Launch, probably could play the Hot Metal Pros and, depending on whether you are a 12 who can hit irons, maybe even the 923 Forged. Keep an open mind. And it depends on what you’re looking for. 

Shaft is a big factor. Don’t fixate on spin if it’s in the ballpark, use loft adjustments to boost if needed. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I used to game the 921 forged for a year. One of my favorite clubs of all time mainly because of the feeling. I hit the 923 this week. In summary, I would have likely kept the 921. I like the slightly longer blade in the 921 and weirdly remember liking the 921 feel better, but could be false memory 🙂

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 1/19/2023 at 10:56 AM, TeeTime907 said:

I have my 923 Forged on order, but I will tell you I saw these in a golf shop on Saturday and they are fantastic looking.   Also, I loved how the 8-pw looked over my 921 Forged.  They have tweaked those clubs some and look great as scoring clubs.  This JPX 923 line is solid. 

Any chance you have some more recent feedback? I have had the 921 Forged for about 2 years now and I just can’t seem to get comfortable with the 8i-PW. I love my 4-7i, but I don’t score we well as I used to be able to with those irons. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2023 at 9:46 AM, 66csrc said:

Thinking of buying a set of the 923's. While looking for a new set I've come across new sets of 921's. While I've hit the 923's I've never hit a 921. Can anyone with any experience hitting both  model's tell me the difference? There's a fairly decent difference in price.  Thanks

What'd you go with? 

Been a few months since you kicked off this thread but I find myself in this same position now. Was close to pulling the trigger on brand new 923's but some solid deals starting to pop up on the 921's.

1 hour ago, ck800 said:

probably not a huge difference, i have the tour in both and they are exactly the same aside from looks

Agree.  Small evolution for most models.  Loft creep set in big time with the more GI versions, though.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone is still reading this (sparsely read) thread - question: I'm currently playing MP-20 MMCs, and mostly love them. In fact, tried the 223s, and they couldn't kick the MMCs out of my bag. The scoring irons and precise, workable, and surprisingly forgiving. Only thing is I've had trouble now and then with the long end of the bag out of the rough.

So a couple weeks ago I was playing with a friend that has JPX 921 HMs. Tried his 5i out of pretty thick stuff (not long, but thick bentgrass rough). Clubhead moved through it far more easily (less twisting) than my MMC. Still, it seemed a bit a bit clunky to me to use regularly. Wasn't totally crazy about how it felt. 

So I'm kind of thinking about something maybe halfway between that and my MMCs. Something with a bit more heft, but not that much more. Considering a mixed set ... keeping the 7 - PW MMCs, but going 4, 5 & 6 with (possibly) 923 Forged? Thinking they may feel similar to MMCs, but have a bit more of the heft I want without seeming like warclubs. 

Any thoughts? 

[NOTE: Am a low-mid capper. Don't bother to keep a formal handicap these days, but usually shoot mid/high 70s - low/mid 80s ... solid fundamentals after decades, but just don't play/practice enough right now to be a par golfer.]

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

12 hours ago, bobfoster said:

I'm kind of thinking about something maybe halfway between that and my MMCs. Something with a bit more heft, but not that much more. Considering a mixed set ...

I think you’re probably in the ballpark of the MP 225 or the JPX923 Forged. Would recommend exploring both to see which suits your eye/ear/needs better. Heck, if you don’t need new, you could even check out the MP-20 HMB.

I play the 921 Forged, but haven't hit the 923.  However, I played the 850 Forged previously and there really isn't a whole lot of difference and they were separated by two generations of JPX offerings.  I can only imagine the same holds true for 921 vs. 923.  Clubheads might have minuscule differences in weight distribution and dimensions, but I would wager the differences aren't significant enough to discern a difference for the average golfer.

Edited by forrester_fire