Game Golf Email

What do you think of the email that Game Golf sent out? It looks like they are sunsetting Game Golf Classic, releasing a new product Game Golf KZN, and going to a subscription model. Nothing was said about the Game Golf Pro and if a subscription will be required in the future, but would not be surprised if a subscription would be required for the Pro.

I’m pleased to introduce myself as the CEO of Inpixon, a world leader in the indoor intelligence and location technology industry, and the new parent company to Game Golf. For over 15 years, I have served in executive-level roles at Inpixon (formerly Sysorex) tapping into the $12 billion industry of indoor positioning and data analytics. I am very excited now to be a part of the Game Golf family.

Since our acquisition of Game Golf in 2021, we have spent significant time and resources completely reenergizing the platform with next-level technology and a best-in-class user interface, which we can’t wait for you to experience. It’s my pleasure to keep you updated on this exciting new direction the company is taking. 

In the interest of complete transparency, I want to address the understandable frustrations our Classic users have been experiencing. The Game Golf Mission has always been to provide cutting-edge technology to help you improve your game with personalized performance data. With the vast improvements in technology and steady growth in usership since launching in 2014, it was time for Game Golf to perform a complete revamp of our digital infrastructure and servers to create the next generation of Game Golf. 

Last month Game Golf successfully completed a major upgrade of the technology infrastructure that powers the platform. This has solved many of the recurring issues that were impacting the reliability of our platform and services. In the coming months additional new upgrades will continue that further enhances our product and platform. These infrastructure and technological improvements will include launching a robust new digital platform with a dashboard that is more visual, gamified, and user friendly. This will allow you to dive deeper into your data and stats analysis to help improve your game more quickly and efficiently. 

Due to our Classic users being a part of the first-generation platform, the original technology developed will no longer be supported in terms of hardware replacements and software updates. While new rounds going forward may be able to be uploaded from your Classic device onto the new platform, there is no guarantee that this will happen, and therefore any new rounds may be lost. However, thanks to our team of top developers, Classic users will not lose any of the data previously uploaded into the system. Your old data and stats will be saved and seamlessly integrated with any new data uploaded into the new version of Game Golf.

In March 2023 we will be launching a new product, Game Golf KZN.  This device has automatic shot detection, i.e., no requirement to tag your shot. Game Golf KZN will have an updated pricing structure, incorporating an annual subscription, making Game Golf the most affordable and technically advanced system in the space elevating the user experience across the board. We can’t wait for you to use it!

We very much value your loyalty and business. As a Classic user, you have been with us since the beginning, and we want to make this transition to a new device for you as smooth and cost effective as possible. Once Game Golf KZN is launched, Game Golf would like to offer you 3 months subscription free ($29.97 saving) and a discounted price of $124.99 for KZN ($25.00 savings), for an all-inclusive price of $244.87 for the first 15 months of use of KZN on our new platform. We will send you a further email over the coming weeks which will set out the steps to be taken by you to avail of this exclusive offer to our Classic users.

You, of course, can continue to use your Classic device to record your rounds, provided the device is capable of uploading the round to our platform.  However, as noted above we cannot guarantee that your new rounds will be saved to the platform.  In the event that you continue with your Classic device we will be implementing a subscription charge of $9.99 per month, charged on an annual basis (payment of $119.88), from March 1, 2023.  The subscription will entitle you access to new features facilitated by the new platform and also the use of Smart Caddie, our digital caddie that recommends clubs and hole strategy based on your previously tracked performance.  

We are very excited to continue having you be a part of Game Golf and experience the next generation platform and device that will help you improve your game even more.

If you have any questions in relation to this communication, please send us an email to [email protected] and our Customer Support Team will be happy to respond directly to you.

Edited by TM_HOYER
Added email content

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

Well this is going to go down like the Hindenburg. So I have to now pay a subscription of a pretty brazen, $10 to use equipment I have already paid for on the understanding that I didn't have to pay any subscriptions! To boot My Live has not been saving rounds for the last year or so properly. 

I appreciate the offer of some money off for old users but surely they should have drawn a line and said any Classic, Live or Pro users still happy to stick with the brand who, let's face it, have let them down with shonky tec and poor customer service should be able to continue to use their site for free as they always have done.

Why would I pay $10 a month for an untried and tested product, coming from a brand that started well but quickly slid to disaster with the 'Pro' release when I could pay just a little more to use Arccos, a product which is universally acclaimed and which works. Or I could buy a decent Garmin watch which would do the same.

I thought Game Golf had folded ages ago which was why my device didn't work anymore. From this business model I give them less than 18 months from March 2023. Sad as 'Live' was a great product which I really enjoyed using.

• Like 1

Received the email today that current Game Golf Live (Pro) owners will have to pay $9.99 a month to continue to use Game Golf. No subscription, no access to your data.

For me, not worth $10 a month. I have my Skycaddie subscription with provides me with better information for the shot I have to hit than Game Golf does. My Game Golf will end up as a Goodwill donation.

Edited by TM_HOYER
Addl info
  • Like 1

Callaway Chrome Soft

I was a GameGolf Classic user from its beginnings for a long time. Tried Arccos and didn’t like it and went back to GG. When the technology and support became stale I made the switch to ShotScope and never looked back. Wearing a watch was different but I quickly got used to it and the info captured was just as good. Having a GPS yardage watch is a bonus plus there is no monthly fee. 

I will say that tagging the club was such a part of my PSR that I did it for months after moving on, but not having to remember to do it is nice.

• Like 3

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

3 hours ago, RSinSG said:

I was a GameGolf Classic user from its beginnings for a long time. Tried Arccos and didn’t like it and went back to GG. When the technology and support became stale I made the switch to ShotScope and never looked back. Wearing a watch was different but I quickly got used to it and the info captured was just as good. Having a GPS yardage watch is a bonus plus there is no monthly fee. 

I will say that tagging the club was such a part of my PSR that I did it for months after moving on, but not having to remember to do it is nice.

ShotScope would be great if it worked with Apple Watch. 

• Like 1

I tried Shot Scope and at least for the course I belong to, mapping was a really big issue. It assumed teeing locations that were not correct and because of the design of the course I play, you cannot assume a tee location. Also my course has multiple configurations which Shot Scope could not handle.

I also tried the Skycaddie Gametracker which was ok but Game Golf provided a lot more information than Gametracker. Arccos was a no go because I will not carry a phone with me while golfing.

Callaway Chrome Soft

2 hours ago, TM_HOYER said:

I tried Shot Scope and at least for the course I belong to, mapping was a really big issue. It assumed teeing locations that were not correct and because of the design of the course I play, you cannot assume a tee location. Also my course has multiple configurations which Shot Scope could not handle.

I also tried the Skycaddie Gametracker which was ok but Game Golf provided a lot more information than Gametracker. Arccos was a no go because I will not carry a phone with me while golfing.

Don’t need phone. There’s Link and you can also use Apple Watch. 

2 hours ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

Don’t need phone. There’s Link and you can also use Apple Watch. 

Link and Apple Watch were not options when I looked at Arccos.

• Sad 1

Callaway Chrome Soft

My GG went in the trash.   The customer support was very lacking and it was impossible to upload a round with a PC.   I moved to Shot Scope and it is significantly better than GG.   

I hope it succeeds but my family is from Missouri (show me!)  I believe the new business model is lacking.

18 hours ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

ShotScope would be great if it worked with Apple Watch. 

I agree but that’s not possible as the ShotScope watch is not just an app. The band is the antenna for the GPS and the watch needs to be near the tag to pick up the swing. I just take it to the course and when I’m ready to start the round I put my Apple Watch in the bag and switch.

Now if it were possible to write an app that loads on Apple Watch that would be one I’d consider. I don’t know how that would be possible without Apple including technology that would facilitate the tag activation.

• Like 1

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

On 2/16/2023 at 10:16 AM, RSinSG said:

I agree but that’s not possible as the ShotScope watch is not just an app. The band is the antenna for the GPS and the watch needs to be near the tag to pick up the swing. I just take it to the course and when I’m ready to start the round I put my Apple Watch in the bag and switch.

Now if it were possible to write an app that loads on Apple Watch that would be one I’d consider. I don’t know how that would be possible without Apple including technology that would facilitate the tag activation.

All Shot Scope tags need is an RFID receiver and an accelerometer which Apple Watch has both. All that is needed is for Shot Scope to write an app for iOS/Watch OD. They want to control end to end and keep all the profits, which is understandable, but I’m one of the people who is a non-started because of the requirement to wear their wearable.

7 hours ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

All Shot Scope tags need is an RFID receiver and an accelerometer which Apple Watch has both. All that is needed is for Shot Scope to write an app for iOS/Watch OD. They want to control end to end and keep all the profits, which is understandable, but I’m one of the people who is a non-started because of the requirement to wear their wearable.

Didn't know that. To me it's worth it to switch watches when I play. Not a big deal to me as the system is the best I've used.

• Like 2

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

16 hours ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

The Shotscope H4 clips to your belt and tags like GG.   Much better IMO 

• 4 months later...

I received my Game Golf Live as a gift from my son. I am a beginner golfer and it was nice to see how far my clubs went. However, I am not going to pay a subscription, when I live in Wisconsin and can only golf from April (if lucky) through about October (again, if lucky). I found a free app, that tracks my score, lets me know how far the green is from my ball and thus I can figure out how far my ball went. I will throw away my old equipment, because I don't want anyone to pay for a donated item to Goodwill that really isn't affordable in my area. Good luck with your company however you need to be have a more competitive pricing if you wish to stay in the market. There are many other choices out there.

My son and I both have the Game Golf Classic with Bluetooth which we bought as Xmas presents. I have to say that I am very disappointed (to put it mildly) that we no longer have access to this system. We were sold these on the basis that there was no subscription (we don't play enough golf to warrant adding that to the cost of green fees etc) and to just exclude us from our previous data is not satisfactory. The cost of buying a new system (albeit with a token discount) is too high and will mean that you have just lost two more customers! We have moved to Shotscope, which is perfectly satisfactory for our needs. 

Not impressed. 

On 2/15/2023 at 5:14 PM, RSinSG said:

I did exactly the same.
When I got the E-Mail from Game Golf, I replied, because I wanted to let them know that a subscription model and having to have my phone turned on during the round are two no-goes for me. It turned out, that a reply was not possible to this e-mail address. Well, if companies do not want to know, what their customers think, so be it. This is one of those moments, in which I wish that capitalism and the regulation by market mechanisms work.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

The odds of them leveraging the ancient (in tech terms) Game Golf name and brand into creating a successful Arccos knockoff, including Arccos' extremely expensive total cost of ownership, seem indistinguishable from zero to me. IMHO you'd have to be a sucker to front them money for a device and a subscription in the hope they're still around in a year or two.

When the original Game Golf was a cheap device with no subscription and there was nothing else even close to as functional on the market, that was a classic unsustainable "first mover" play. You can't build up hundreds of thousands of users and maintain an infrastructure that lets them use their devices daily, funded solely by continuing to sell a couple thousand new units each month. 

I'm really curious what Shot Scope's long-term play will be. They're still selling devices at a brisk pace after quite a few years and still (as far as I know) have no subscription income. They either have deeper pockets than Game Golf ever did or they have found some non-obvious way of monetizing their data. 

• 1 month later...

Was a huge fan of GG. Too bad. This so reminds me of my BlackBerry days. Initially far superior, then desperately trying to recover the business model, all the while alienating users and feeding their competition. Truly disappointing...especially since they seem to have done such a great job on the platform upgrade. I have Arccos and teh Garmin as well, but GG was the best. Now it looks like they have a very uncertain future.