2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Newport Oil Can - Interesting Milling - CS?

MFBach

Seems like a stretch, but I picked this up recently in a trade. The seller did have a professional affiliation with Acushnet, so I don’t have any reason to doubt his description… but I swear I can’t find anything even remotely close to this milling pattern in the SC archives or old tour pics. The description I was provided is below. 

“I actually don’t have the story behind the milling other then it was done at the Scotty studio. This putter was owned by a tour player before me and he was experimenting. I asked him for it because I’m obsessed with raw clubs and that’s how I ended up with it. 

Neither of us have documentation around the milling I’m sorry to say. Other then shaving a little weight off I don’t believe it impacted the performance.”

Other than the face milling, the only noticeable change I’ve found is the hosel being bored, again assuming they’re trying to drop weight. A stepless shaft is installed with a SC cord grip. I don’t doubt the authenticity at all, but I don’t know what to think about the face. Looks and feel great, so I don’t have any problems playing it as is. Love the patina and clean look at address. 

The question I have revolves around a restoration. Spoke to the CS and they did say they’ve seen unique alterations that turned out to be original, and that it could absolutely be authenticated in shop if the work was legitimate.

So, play as is? Or send for potential authentication/resto? If the CS is a no go, it might just go to BOS for the original oil can refinish. Love the putter either way! Any thoughts from the SC aficionados? 

25A724CE-236E-4251-95AB-81DCFDD6788B.jpeg.0561c305e6fd73ede04c27bb8caf7c76.jpeg

A0AB740D-10FB-41B3-90B6-B4C031238BD0.jpeg.31f1e7d5fd21cddd64f57cce8750c4ee.jpeg

8183A465-8069-4E0C-A5CE-F5B4A9317023.jpeg.c9ef2b9ba492b6245b526f41fe4ab50e.jpeg

EC44D817-5195-4DB4-8EA7-506EF3A3E346.jpeg.25c11b356f78447ef77ef20ae00c8651.jpeg0279BC50-E7DE-4FF5-82A4-6F324DEE1BCB.jpeg.9c6b715757f6936666dda2a58163fc0d.jpeg

7968490F-188F-4EDB-A3EA-A014AB1D94F6.jpeg.dcf87bb12b9ebab495ffcd9c25db267b.jpeg

If I were you I'd just keep it exactly as it is. It's a very unique piece in it's current state.

I have a TeI3 Santa Fe I've had since 2003, and I doubt I ever get it refinished or restored. Every little nick, scratch, and spot is unique to me and my use of it. That's one of the reasons I love it so much.

• Like 1

Regarding the milling specifically, is it something anyone has seen from the CS before? The closest I’ve found is actually a Norcal “Medium Spiral” option. 

The reason I was considering authentication was the story behind it. If it was authentic, I would consider refinishing it while it was in the shop already. The downside of that obviously being that they don’t offer the Oil Can original anymore. It would just be a collection piece at that point.  

For clarity, I’m 100% content playing it as-is. Needs some extra head weight (321g), but I’ll sort that out myself. I love the current look of the milling and patina. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t playing something that was more than just a cool, old NP. 

2 minutes ago, MFBach said:

The reason I was considering authentication was the story behind it.

FWIW they may authenticate it and provide you with a COA, but you aren't going to get the "story" from them. Basically you'd just be confirming it's real which you sort of already know anyway. 

In my opinion the only reason you'd need the COA is if you planned on selling it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MFBach said:

Regarding the milling specifically, is it something anyone has seen from the CS before? The closest I’ve found is actually a Norcal “Medium Spiral” option. 

The reason I was considering authentication was the story behind it. If it was authentic, I would consider refinishing it while it was in the shop already. The downside of that obviously being that they don’t offer the Oil Can original anymore. It would just be a collection piece at that point.  

For clarity, I’m 100% content playing it as-is. Needs some extra head weight (321g), but I’ll sort that out myself. I love the current look of the milling and patina. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t playing something that was more than just a cool, old NP. 

I've never seen an SC milling pattern like that. He's done some unique patterns occasionally, but this doesn't match anything I've seen before. Unless you know exactly who that former pro is that previously owned this and can get documentation from them, I wouldn't believe it. There's no doubt it can be done, but all it takes is someone with some imagination to come up with that story.

I wouldn't send to the custom shop for authentication. I'd leave it as is if you like it, or have it restored at BOS to original oil can look. I would not have them re-mill it as you'd likely lose a lot of weight.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

FWIW they may authenticate it and provide you with a COA, but you aren't going to get the "story" from them. Basically you'd just be confirming it's real which you sort of already know anyway. 

Fair enough. The only reason I cared to authenticate it anyway was for the additional details, so when you put it like that, it definitely takes away some of the enthusiasm. I don’t have any reason to doubt the seller and we’ve communicated regularly before and after the transaction. Just my curiosity getting the best of me. 

44 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

In my opinion the only reason you'd need the COA is if you planned on selling it.

It's not going anywhere either way, so I don’t have any worries on the value side of it. 

12 minutes ago, VNutz said:

I've never seen an SC milling pattern like that. He's done some unique patterns occasionally, but this doesn't match anything I've seen before.

That was my thought process as well. Obviously I’m taking someone at their word, but again, I don’t haven any reason to doubt him given the information I’ve received.

That being said, it’s still an odd pattern for a Cameron. It’s also pushing 20 years old, so he might have been more willing to do an oddball job in the early days. 

21 minutes ago, VNutz said:

I wouldn't send to the custom shop for authentication. I'd leave it as is if you like it

I think that’s where I’m going to end up at this point. Keep gaming it and keep enjoying it. At the very least, it’s a cool piece that you don’t see very often. 

Much appreciated, everybody! Thanks for the insight. 

• Like 1