2023 Solheim Cup (Sep 22-24)

18majors

59 minutes ago, OrangeGravy said:

This will make Ciganda especially and her teammates legends in their respective home countries beyond just hardcore golf fans. If you flip the results, the US players would be temporary heroes to a small subset of golf fans. In my opinion,  this disparity in passion from the outside is reflected in each side's mindset in these events. It's obviously not the sole variable,  but all things being equal talent wise, it shows

Not totally disagreeing but I think you're overstating some of that. I don't ladies golf moves needles anywhere besides places like this forum. 

13 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

As I mentioned long ago, it was obvious why she picked EKP and Caroline, experience. Clearly it worked pretty well, but that doesn't mean I personally agree with those picks when a handful of others were in way better form at the moment. I believe in giving the deserved players a chance to prove themselves.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChronicSlicer said:

As I mentioned long ago, it was obvious why she picked EKP and Caroline, experience. Clearly it worked pretty well, but that doesn't mean I personally agree with those picks when a handful of others were in way better form at the moment. I believe in giving the deserved players a chance to prove themselves.

By that sense, the same could be said about the criticism directed at Lexi pre-tournament (but is now being mocked)?  No doubt she qualified, but Lewis could have played other people more (the ones with better form at the moment, irrespective of experience)?  Similar to above, it worked pretty well, so it looks OK.

I don't want to argue, just saying (we all have our notions of what is correct or not).

1 hour ago, wobgon said:

I say it every Solheim cup and every Ryder cup so I might as well say it again.....Not sure why anyone gets to excited about a team made up of 12 countries playing a single country. Before all the comments about how large the US is, consider how all these smaller countries compete against the US in all the other sports without teaming up.

It’s not an artificial situation though, it’s not the cobbling together of a bunch of un-associated countries’ players to create a closer contest vs the USA.

Think of it this way – many Europeans, particularly those say under 35 yo, identify either as Europeans first and their country second or at the very least identify equally with Europe and their country.

A young German may state that they are a European from Germany just as an American may state they are an American from say Texas.

Younger Europeans can even get quite angry if they feel someone is being too nationalistic.

Older Europeans are often more traditional in their country-first thinking.

There is a real European identity, for instance a European flag that has been in existence from 1955.

It’s why the Solheim and Ryder cups work as far as commitment and passion from the European players.

• Like 4

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

Anyways, few things in life are always perfect (decision or performance).  And regardless of which players were there (or not there), it was a good competition with meaningful matches late in the afternoon on Sunday.  I guess that makes it a win for the fans.

Time to move on (hears many applauding)...

Just now, ThinkingPlus said:

Don't be silly. Folks from Texas are always Texans first then Americans. 😉

I was fishing for a reaction like that and thought you'd likely be the one to jump in:classic_wink:

• Haha 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

17 minutes ago, freddi22cl said:

3 in a row for Europe , Maguire and Grant play all 5 matches in a few years again

they aint criticizing Suzann anymore 🙂

I am, she made numerous mistakes.

Remember also it was 14/14, Europe didn't win but did retain the trophy as holders.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Titleist_PT23 said:

By that sense, the same could be said about the criticism directed at Lexi pre-tournament (but is now being mocked)?  No doubt she qualified, but Lewis could have played other people more (the ones with better form at the moment, irrespective of experience)?  Similar to above, it worked pretty well, so it looks OK.

I don't want to argue, just saying (we all have our notions of what is correct or not).

Of course, I just gave my two cents on how I would have done the picking. I also thought it kinda rude to pick Caroline, and literally tell her your gonna sit the first 3 matches because we need our A team right now. She was good enough to be picked, but not played.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, pjc said:

We won't see LT in one of these ever again....at least we got that.

Is LT referring to Lexi? If so, this is ridiculous. The silver lining of the Solheim Cup was watching Lexi playing well after all the hate she got at the start of the event.

Speaking of Lexi, in case you were curious about her tattoos, came across this article today:

https://golf.com/news/lexi-thompson-tattoos-reveal-important-things/

Edited by Donovan84
  • Like 1

I read somewhere that the players on both sides don’t get paid any money.  Same is true for the Ryder.  No money for the winning players.  Perhaps the attitudes of the players would change if they could win prize money that would count towards their annual total (money list).

Edited by Goldenhawk

Titleist TSR2, 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus Velocore TR Red 5R

TaylorMade Qi10 Wood, 16.5*, Fujikura Ventus TR Blue FW 65 R

Titleist TSR2 Wood, 21.0*, MCC Tensei Blue 60 R

Titleist 2023 T200 Irons, 4-PW, TT AMT Black R300
Titleist SM10 Jet Black Wedges, 50.08 F, 54.12 D, 60.08 SM, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

15 minutes ago, Goldenhawk said:

I read somewhere that the players on both sides don’t get paid any money.  Same is true for the Ryder.  No money for the winning players.  Perhaps the attitudes of the players would change if they could win prize money that would count towards their annual total (money list).

The Solheim Cup (and Ryder Cup) are often described by players as their favourite event/ target for the year (e.g. refer to the Link shared by @Donovan84 above: https://golf.com/news/lexi-thompson-tattoos-reveal-important-things/ )

... i.e. i doubt prize money would motivate them further (but wasn't there some change in recent years e.g. some agreement w.r.t. Ryder Cup organisers to donate an amount of money to charities chosen by the players?) 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/live/golf/66879544 

image.png

image.png.762064f9fa64496e5e7019f9db5f663d.png

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 2

I thought the RC changed that after some complaining by the players? Don't know about SC.

I've been firmly opposed to the Nordic nepotism policy this week but I just went and looked at the Euro list...eh, other than the Czech player possibly...  I don't have any further complaints.  Lots of girls just nickel and dimed their way up there by playing huge numbers of events. 

6 hours ago, wobgon said:

I say it every Solheim cup and every Ryder cup so I might as well say it again.....Not sure why anyone gets to excited about a team made up of 12 countries playing a single country. Before all the comments about how large the US is, consider how all these smaller countries compete against the US in all the other sports without teaming up.

Have a read of this, it may help to explain the European team identity:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/sep/25/the-whole-of-europe-is-behind-you-ryder-cup-players-on-unique-identity

The European ("DP World") tour is a lowly feeder tour now, but from the 80s through to the 00s it had a super-strong identity which fed into the Ryder Cup team, and vice versa.  The players on the team feel "European" and are usually the RC underdogs - which helps make every contest against almost always super-strong US teams fiery and engrossing.  That's why millions of people find it exciting.

• Like 3
  • PING G400 Max 9* Tensei Orange 60 S
  • PING Anser 17 / 20* hybrids Graphite Design 85S
  • Miura PP-9003 Straight Neck 4-PW Nippon NS Pro 750 GH wrap tech
  • Miura 52, 56 forged wedges / PING Eye 2 LW Beryllium copper
  • PING Anser 5+ Beryllium copper (1991)

Putter bench:

• Nordberg Halvdan custom / PING Cushin Scottsdale zip / PING Jim Wells Zing 5KS SN / PING Vault Ketsch TR 400g CB, etc.