2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Carbon wide body blade with sound slot

Sleeky_D

I’m starting to get a real interest in getting my first custom putter. Putters I’ve owned in the past include bettinardi, Scotty, evnroll, odyssey/Toulon. The best feeling I’ve had of this bunch was a hive BB0 carbon with fit face and sound slot. I’m wanting to replicate something close to this but in a wide body anser, small flow neck, tri sole, sound slot, and head weight around 365 - 370g. I’m aware betti does do customs but I can’t justify spending $2500+ on something I want to game. My budget is around $1200 but would honestly be fine spending much less if it meets the criteria. I’ve looked at (and read the threads) of lajosi, mannkrafted, Goodwood, tp mills, mackmade, and Ping PLD so far. Are there any other companies I should consider? Also, I’m aware all carbon putters require some TLC but are there companies with finishes that require less upkeep? 

Thanks in advance! 

If you're worried about upkeep just skip the carbon and go 303 if you're going to do a deep milling anyways. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

2 minutes ago, Sleeky_D said:

Would you say deep milled 303 is pretty close to carbon in feel? 

It's all about the putter construction and face milling, also the shaft and grip play a factor as well. The different in 303 and Carbon when it comes to feel is probably less than 5%.

Plus if you get a no maintenance carbon finish like a plating it's basically defeating the purpose.

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

6 minutes ago, Sleeky_D said:

Ah that does make sense. I’ve always read that putter feel is so subjective. My thought was the increased audible feedback from the sound slot combined with the softer material is what made it feel better/best to me. 

Considering you're wanting a 365-370g head after a sound slot is cut you're looking at anywhere from a 380 to 390g head before cutting the sound slot. A putter that heavy with that much mass will feel soft regardless and a sound slot may not even work with that much heft to it. 

Sound slots need certain face and flange thickness work if not it's just for show. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

1 hour ago, kolio13 said:

Check out Brandon Matthew. He makes a Truxton Wide body and you can add a sound slot. You have the option of going 303 stainless or carbon. I have a 303 stainless from him and I love it. Just ordered a couple more carbons as well. 

https://brandonmatthew.com

I just did a quick scroll through his Instagram and came across multiple preciouses! Would you mind sharing or PMing your truxton wide body? 

1 hour ago, cfunk11 said:

Does Lajosi do sound slots?

I’m not sure. I went through the thread but don’t remember seeing one. I could easily be mistaken though on that. 
His chocolate copper finish looks fantastic and is probably my favorite one  I’ve seen so far. 

Edited by Sleeky_D

14 hours ago, Sleeky_D said:

I’m not sure. I went through the thread but don’t remember seeing one. I could easily be mistaken though on that. 
His chocolate copper finish looks fantastic and is probably my favorite one  I’ve seen so far. 

My brother did a wide body chocolate copper finish from Lajosi and had issues with the milling lines on the top of the back flange. Something to do with not sandblasting the putter for that specific finish. He ended up sanding the line out as doing a plum brown finish on it. There is pictures of it in the Lajosi thread.

7 hours ago, cfunk11 said:

My brother did a wide body chocolate copper finish from Lajosi and had issues with the milling lines on the top of the back flange. Something to do with not sandblasting the putter for that specific finish. He ended up sanding the line out as doing a plum brown finish on it. There is pictures of it in the Lajosi thread.

That sounds like @mpf08796 putter. The plum brown finish he went with ended up turning out pretty slick. 

I have had many customs in all shapes and sizes, I've been thinking on what to reply, and I think the closest thing you can ask for is a Kevin Burns 9306 Wide Body with sound slot + pyramid grooves. The pyramid grooves are so soft, likely closest to the fit face. I owned this exact putter and got rid of it because I never got a long with it. It was too soft for me. This build would cost you under $800. 

This build fits everything you asked for. Anser..tri sole. Soft face. Sound Slot. It will be SS...but it will be soft.

Edited by 5hort5tuff
  • Like 1

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

Bettinardi is releasing a few Carbon putters tomorrow. Obviously this isn’t exactly what you’re asking for, but this JM30 model might be worth a look. (Carbon FIT face putters were $650 in their last ‘Studio B reserve’ batch in December, so i assume these will be similarly priced)0C9453CE-514D-4787-BFC4-77AAABC7DC6B.jpeg.d1aaa5a5de6f61c4caa585628d56ec01.jpeg

• Like 1

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

Here is my DD201 wide-body from lajosi with the v milling. Lajosi sent me the wrong finish and left milling lines on the flange . If you do order from Lajosi make sure the finish gets bead blaster to remove the flange milling line . From my own personal experience it's a pain to sand and refinish a custom putter you just ordered. My order was around $580-600 with a magnetic headcover and gripmaster grip. Overall I love this putter and would order it again if i had to.

IMG_1480.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 8:43 AM, mpf08796 said:

Here is my DD201 wide-body from lajosi with the v milling. Lajosi sent me the wrong finish and left milling lines on the flange . If you do order from Lajosi make sure the finish gets bead blaster to remove the flange milling line . From my own personal experience it's a pain to sand and refinish a custom putter you just ordered. My order was around $580-600 with a magnetic headcover and gripmaster grip. Overall I love this putter and would order it again if i had to.

IMG_1480.jpg

Looks great man! 

@mjo23 I saw rumblings of this on the Betti talk page. Will definitely be worth a look. 

@5hort5tuff never really looked into Kevin burns before but his stuff does look clean in discussion thread and Instagram page. I can see how the Diamond face would feel soft. Is the 9306 considered a wide body or does he make a wider version? 

He makes a wider version. It isn't huge like some wide body blades, but it's is wonderful and heavier than his standard 9306.  Truly KB does some of the cleanest CNC work in the business. 

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

7 hours ago, 5hort5tuff said:

He makes a wider version. It isn't huge like some wide body blades, but it's is wonderful and heavier than his standard 9306.  Truly KB does some of the cleanest CNC work in the business. 

Gotcha- I’ll have to do some more digging. I went through the threads/Instagram but must have missed it 

I recommend a Lajosi flowneck carbon widebody sensor with the serrated v grooves. I owned a carbon dd201 with serrated v grooves a while back and it felt incredible. I would recommend the DD201 widebody, but it’s not a tri sole…so Sensor WB it is. I also owned a stainless widebody sensor with the flat face true spiral milling a while back and that thing was as firm as can be. The serrated v grooves are probably much more up your alley. 

Get the carbon and finish you want and don’t worry about maintenance. Just wipe the putter down with Ballistol sprayed on a cloth every now and then.

With Lajosi, if you’re worried about the CNC milling lines showing up on the flange, just do a flange site line. The only Lajosi putter I ever owned that had the cnc millling flange line issue was a naked Bayzie with no site line. None of the others I owned had that issue. 

Edited by jonradus

On 4/1/2023 at 7:11 AM, jonradus said:

I recommend a Lajosi flowneck carbon widebody sensor with the serrated v grooves. I owned a carbon dd201 with serrated v grooves a while back and it felt incredible. I would recommend the DD201 widebody, but it’s not a tri sole…so Sensor WB it is. I also owned a stainless widebody sensor with the flat face true spiral milling a while back and that thing was as firm as can be. The serrated v grooves are probably much more up your alley. 

Get the carbon and finish you want and don’t worry about maintenance. Just wipe the putter down with Ballistol sprayed on a cloth every now and then.

With Lajosi, if you’re worried about the CNC milling lines showing up on the flange, just do a flange site line. The only Lajosi putter I ever owned that had the cnc millling flange line issue was a naked Bayzie with no site line. None of the others I owned had that issue. 

Thanks for the insight! I do prefer the naked look so that’s my only concern at the moment going with lajosi. It checks just about every box though so I maybe just have to take the chance

6 hours ago, Sleeky_D said:

Thanks for the insight! I do prefer the naked look so that’s my only concern at the moment going with lajosi. It checks just about every box though so I maybe just have to take the chance

Maybe if you just specify that one detail not be overlooked, Kari will make sure that cnc milling line on the flange doesn’t happen. I doubt he’ll send any more out like that after the complaints on his thread. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jonradus said:

Maybe if you just specify that one detail not be overlooked, Kari will make sure that cnc milling line on the flange doesn’t happen. I doubt he’ll send any more out like that after the complaints on his thread. 

Good point and definitely doesn’t hurt to bring it up to help avoid it altogether 

• 3 months later...

I thought there was already a thread on this, but I couldn’t find it in the search function. I’ve started getting pretty close to knowing what I want in a custom putter (changed slightly from what I posted above). I’m mainly looked at TP mills and mannkrafted now.  Has anyone worked with them both and can give their pros and cons? I know David’s work is great but you may not get always what you want. Also communication can be spotty. I really like Lamont’s overall work and would say I like his stamping and finishes more. But when it comes down to it, I want a putter that performs first and looks good second. Ideally it would do both but is one maker better quality or performer than the other?