2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Seeking some Rosapenna insight

Hey guys.  Looking at spending a couple of days in Letterkenny next May/June and most likely will take advantage of the 3 Links Ticket offered at Rosapenna for 400e (hopefully it stays that way for 2024).  In order to fit this into my trip, I'll need to play 36 one of the days.  Any insight into what the best combo would be for a semi in-shape golfer?  I was thinking of playing Sandy Hills in the AM of the first day, Old Tom in the PM with a buggy and St. Patrick's the second day.  Anyone do something similar?  Also, is missing Portsalon over the 3 Links Ticket a no-no?  Trip is looking like this: 

Day 1 - Arrive SNN, Jetlag Round at County Sligo Bomore Links, Overnight in Sligo

Day 2 - Play Lough Erne Faldo, Overnight in Letterkenny (3 Nights)

Day 3 - Play Rosapenna Sandy Hills & Old Tom 

Day 4 - Play St. Patrick's

Day 5 - Play Donegal, Overnight in Ballina (3 Nights)

Days 6 & 7 - Play Carne

Day 8 - Depart SNN

Edited by ajgoodal.704
Spelling erro
  • Like 1

2024 Bag

Cobra KING LTDx (9*) - MCA Tensei RAW White 6S

Cobra Radspeed 3W (13*) - MCA Kai'li White 7S

TM Stealth Plus 5W (19*) - Project X Hzrdus RDX Red 75S 

Cobra KING Tour MIM (4-G) - KBS C-Taper 120S

Sub 70 JB Forged FF (54,60L) - KBS S-Taper 120S

Odyssey White Hot Versa 7S

Looks like a great trip! Can’t really give you any feedback on Rosapenna. I tried to schedule a round and meeting with their owners to discuss some business opportunities and literally never even got a response after several emails and calls. As far as the courses go, I’ve heard nothing but good things but there are soooo many great ones in that area. Narin & Portnoo, Cruit Island, Portsalon, and Ballyliffin.
      I’ve played Rosses Point, but haven’t played the Bomore links so can’t help you there. I’ve played Donegal, and really enjoyed it. Its a good test with the bunkering, but It’s more a traditional links, and not so much in the Dunes. Everyone there is so nice and friendly.  I see you’re in Ballina for 3 nights. Tell me you’re going to add a round at Enniscrone while you’re there. You're finishing it off in style by playing Carne so that’s the highlight. What a great trip! I look forward to hearing about it.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

10 hours ago, ajgoodal.704 said:

Hey guys.  Looking at spending a couple of days in Letterkenny next May/June and most likely will take advantage of the 3 Links Ticket offered at Rosapenna for 400e (hopefully it stays that way for 2024).  In order to fit this into my trip, I'll need to play 36 one of the days.  Any insight into what the best combo would be for a semi in-shape golfer?  I was thinking of playing Sandy Hills in the AM of the first day, Old Tom in the PM with a buggy and St. Patrick's the second day.  Anyone do something similar?  Also, is missing Portsalon over the 3 Links Ticket a no-no?  Trip is looking like this: 

Day 1 - Arrive SNN, Jetlag Round at County Sligo Bomore Links, Overnight in Sligo

Day 2 - Play Lough Erne Faldo, Overnight in Letterkenny (3 Nights)

Day 3 - Play Rosapenna Sandy Hills & Old Tom 

Day 4 - Play St. Patrick's

Day 5 - Play Donegal, Overnight in Ballina (3 Nights)

Days 6 & 7 - Play Carne

Day 8 - Depart SNN

Portsalon is in the same ballpark quality wise as Sandy Hills and OTM at Rosa. So if you were looking to tone it down and avoid 36 in a day its not a bad option. Sandy Hills is similar to the Cashen at Ballybunion. A bit wild and hilly. I am told it has been toned down a bit, but I don't know. I declined a game last September. OTM is more traditional with more proper golf terrain, but it has its moments. 

It seems to me if you skip Lough Erne and head straight to Rosa you could eliminate the 36 hole in a day situation. I imagine there is an over-riding for stopping at Lough Erne? 

11 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Looks like a great trip! Can’t really give you any feedback on Rosapenna. I tried to schedule a round and meeting with their owners to discuss some business opportunities and literally never even got a response after several emails and calls. As far as the courses go, I’ve heard nothing but good things but there are soooo many great ones in that area. Narin & Portnoo, Cruit Island, Portsalon, and Ballyliffin.
      I’ve played Rosses Point, but haven’t played the Bomore links so can’t help you there. I’ve played Donegal, and really enjoyed it. Its a good test with the bunkering, but It’s more a traditional links, and not so much in the Dunes. Everyone there is so nice and friendly.  I see you’re in Ballina for 3 nights. Tell me you’re going to add a round at Enniscrone while you’re there. You're finishing it off in style by playing Carne so that’s the highlight. What a great trip! I look forward to hearing about it.

I played the Colt links at CSGC last year and it was awesome.  Really enjoyed it there.  The Bomore links seem like a good inexpensive way (40e) to knock off the rust after an uncomfortable night over the ocean.  Not looking to break the bank that first day.  Would've went to Standhill again, but they upped their rates to 150e for international golfers (insanity).  Really looking forward to Donegal.  Its one of those courses that fits my eye.  Unfortunately I made the call to pass on Enniscrone this time.  It was going to be our last round, but when two of my golfers dropped from the trip, it left me with extra vouchers from when we were monsooned out last year.  Its ok though.  Two pre-paid rounds at Carne, mean a loop around Wild Atlantic Dunes and Hackett for us. 

• Like 1

2024 Bag

5 hours ago, El Gringo said:

Portsalon is in the same ballpark quality wise as Sandy Hills and OTM at Rosa. So if you were looking to tone it down and avoid 36 in a day its not a bad option. Sandy Hills is similar to the Cashen at Ballybunion. A bit wild and hilly. I am told it has been toned down a bit, but I don't know. I declined a game last September. OTM is more traditional with more proper golf terrain, but it has its moments. 

It seems to me if you skip Lough Erne and head straight to Rosa you could eliminate the 36 hole in a day situation. I imagine there is an over-riding for stopping at Lough Erne? 

I've wanted to play Lough Erne for several years now since I watched Mark Crossfield & Crew play there.  Its one of those courses that speaks to me visually and I also like to play at least one parkland round.  There are so many good ones in Ireland that we miss while heading to the sea.  I'm back and forth everyday about the other though.  I could do Portsalon and St. Patrick's as my main rounds and if the weather is decent and I'm up to it, play Sandy Hills or Old Tom.  I've heard Sandy Hills mentioned in the same breath as Enniscrone and Carne, which intrigues me.  Tough courses, but enjoyable. 

2024 Bag

1 hour ago, ajgoodal.704 said:

I played the Colt links at CSGC last year and it was awesome.  Really enjoyed it there.  The Bomore links seem like a good inexpensive way (40e) to knock off the rust after an uncomfortable night over the ocean.  Not looking to break the bank that first day.  Would've went to Standhill again, but they upped their rates to 150e for international golfers (insanity).  Really looking forward to Donegal.  Its one of those courses that fits my eye.  Unfortunately I made the call to pass on Enniscrone this time.  It was going to be our last round, but when two of my golfers dropped from the trip, it left me with extra vouchers from when we were monsooned out last year.  Its ok though.  Two pre-paid rounds at Carne, mean a loop around Wild Atlantic Dunes and Hackett for us. 

Yeah, €150 for Strandhill is crazy. Looking forward to reading about your trip.

1 hour ago, hammergolf said:

Yeah, €150 for Strandhill is crazy. Looking forward to reading about your trip.

I thoroughly enjoyed Strandhill last year.  I could play it regularly and be pretty happy.  I thought 100e last year was teetering on the edge of being too steep.  It was 75e in 2021 and is now double.  Enniscrone shot from 145e to 175e.  County Sligo went from 200e to 230e.  I'll vouch for a West of Ireland trip everyday, but it isn't a budget conscious itinerary anymore.  My 400e for 4 rounds at Carne I bought last year is looking better and better.  

2024 Bag

Just now, ajgoodal.704 said:

I thoroughly enjoyed Strandhill last year.  I could play it regularly and be pretty happy.  I thought 100e last year was teetering on the edge of being too steep.  It was 75e in 2021 and is now double.  Enniscrone shot from 145e to 175e.  County Sligo went from 200e to 230e.  I'll vouch for a West of Ireland trip everyday, but it isn't a budget conscious itinerary anymore.  My 400e for 4 rounds at Carne I bought last year is looking better and better.  

Yeah, I agree. Strandhill is a €70 course tops. When I was at Enniscrone in October they had a two round special (play different days) for €250. While I really like County Sligo, it’s a little steep. My next trip there will be 2 rounds at Enniscrone, 2 rounds at Carne, 1 round at Narin and Portnoo, and 1 round at Donegal. 

1 hour ago, hammergolf said:

Yeah, I agree. Strandhill is a €70 course tops. When I was at Enniscrone in October they had a two round special (play different days) for €250. While I really like County Sligo, it’s a little steep. My next trip there will be 2 rounds at Enniscrone, 2 rounds at Carne, 1 round at Narin and Portnoo, and 1 round at Donegal. 

We are definitely on the same page.  I think County Sligo is a 150-175e course tops.  I have kicked around doing Narin & Portnoo and Enniscrone over going north to Rosapenna & Portsalon.  Not sure when the next time I'll get to Ireland will be after 2024, so I wanted to explore a little further out.  Its tough because there are no bad choices.  

• Like 1

2024 Bag

5 hours ago, ajgoodal.704 said:

We are definitely on the same page.  I think County Sligo is a 150-175e course tops.  I have kicked around doing Narin & Portnoo and Enniscrone over going north to Rosapenna & Portsalon.  Not sure when the next time I'll get to Ireland will be after 2024, so I wanted to explore a little further out.  Its tough because there are no bad choices.  

Exactly, too many great courses but not enough time. I really enjoyed Narin & Portnoo. I went in not knowing what to expect, but it blew me away. It’s really good after the Hanse redesign. I’m looking forward to going back as they were getting ready to do some reshaping to a few fairways when I was there. I would recommend N&P over Portsalon for sure.

Edited by hammergolf

17 hours ago, sabram said:

I walked Sandy Hills and Old Tom on the same day when I was in my 60's. It was part of a ten day 14 round trip. No need for a buggy.

I think I'm settling on Sandy Hills on Monday and St. Patrick's on Tuesday.  If we feel up to additional golf after Sandy Hills, either replay Sandy Hills or Portsalon, Otway or Old Tom.  

• Like 1

2024 Bag

7 hours ago, ajgoodal.704 said:

I think I'm settling on Sandy Hills on Monday and St. Patrick's on Tuesday.  If we feel up to additional golf after Sandy Hills, either replay Sandy Hills or Portsalon, Otway or Old Tom.  

Old Tom is worth a round and it's right there. I really like Portsalon, but do you really want to drive 30-40 minutes after playing Sandy Hills, when you can have a leisurely lunch at Rosapenna and then play Old Tom without getting into your car?

13 hours ago, sabram said:

Old Tom is worth a round and it's right there. I really like Portsalon, but do you really want to drive 30-40 minutes after playing Sandy Hills, when you can have a leisurely lunch at Rosapenna and then play Old Tom without getting into your car?

Excellent point!  The 3 Links Ticket is probably the way to go.  Play Sandy Hills & St. Patrick's on their respective mornings and play Old Tom after either (weather and body dependent).  

• Like 1

2024 Bag

I just returned from a trip to Ireland and England last week.  I played many of the courses you are planning.   I will say... The trip as you have it lined up works well.  A few things:

• Taking a buggy over there seems sacreligious but.. it is a good idea for fatigue fighting.  Both Rosapenna Sandy Hills and St. Partrick's are very strenuous walks, with especially long hikes from green to tee on St. Pat's.  Wait till you see the hike from 17 green to 18 tee at St. Pat's.  I was ready to punch Doak in the face for that one.  Too bad St. Pat's doesn't allow buggies... that's the one you need it for.
  • Old Tom is pretty basic, relatively but the prior posters are right... Potsalon is not worth a late day car trip for.  But you know what is?  CRUIT ISLAND.  That place is just magical.  It's a 90 minute drive over typically tiny Irish roads to get there.  But the scenery on the drive is incredible and the course is as much fun as grown men are typically allowed to have.  You don't have it in your plan.  You really should.  My son and I played Sandy Hills, St. Pat's and Cruit in one day and it simply was the greatest golf day of my life.
  • If you get to Cruit Island, stay for a meal and the craic.  You will not find better in Ireland.
  • To that end... more time in pubs and less in cars is the ideal.  You'll see.

Have fun!!!!

CI 3.jpg

CI 2.jpg

• Like 2

I had heard the same with St. Pats. Because Doak essentially made 18 holes of out two existing golf courses and used what he thought was the best land to make 18 holes. Looking forward to seeing it for myself sometime soon. 

I am an ardent advocate for good walking courses. It's not often courses are too hilly to walk, but I object to long transitions between holes. St Pat's has no issues like this. There are a few longer walks, but nothing which suggests it is a cart course. That said, I don't care about playing the same set of tees for the entire round. I will often play the set nearest the previous green. If I think a set makes for a better hole I will walk. Take 18 at St Pat's. There are a few radically placed tees, but there is also one a short walk from the 17th green. I played there every game, but explored the other tees while walking the course one day. St Pat's is special. Enjoy. 

Have any of you played Castlerock?  It looks to be just over an hours drive from Letterkenny.  

2024 Bag

5 hours ago, El Gringo said:

I am an ardent advocate for good walking courses. It's not often courses are too hilly to walk, but I object to long transitions between holes. St Pat's has no issues like this. There are a few longer walks, but nothing which suggests it is a cart course. That said, I don't care about playing the same set of tees for the entire round. I will often play the set nearest the previous green. If I think a set makes for a better hole I will walk. Take 18 at St Pat's. There are a few radically placed tees, but there is also one a short walk from the 17th green. I played there every game, but explored the other tees while walking the course one day. St Pat's is special. Enjoy. 

We meet again....  🙂

Methinks you are giving Doak a huge pass here.  St. Patrick's has no issues like this?  Come on man.

Sure, one can force a decent walk by playing different sets of tees, always choosing the one closest to the prior green.  But it's a resort... in a far flung place... who is likely to have the time, or inclination, to do that?  That makes for a very short course and one misses out on several very fun tee shots.  You would do that, I know.  But you remain unique.  Nope, Doak did what he had to do - for the reasons hammergolf states - but that does not change the fact it's a brutally hard walk from the Slate tees, which I have to believe most visitors will play.  And sure, one COULD play 18 at 272 yards, flat to the green - and that tee is a short walk from the 17th green.  But who truly wants to do that, when the Slate tee is at 342?  My son and I, coming into 18 all square, were not gonna play a hole shortened 70 yards.  So yeah, I was cursing Doak.  It's a much more fun tee shot from there but damn he makes you earn it.  🙂

St. Patrick's is a very fine golf course.  It just is a very difficult walk.  That's OK.  Doak is neither perfect nor God.  🙂

Edited by Mullenboy
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mullenboy said:

We meet again....  🙂

Methinks you are giving Doak a huge pass here.  St. Patrick's has no issues like this?  Come on man.

Sure, one can force a decent walk by playing different sets of tees, always choosing the one closest to the prior green.  But it's a resort... in a far flung place... who is likely to have the time, or inclination, to do that?  That makes for a very short course and one misses out on several very fun tee shots.  You would do that, I know.  But you remain unique.  Nope, Doak did what he had to do - for the reasons hammergolf states - but that does not change the fact it's a brutally hard walk from the Slate tees, which I have to believe most visitors will play.  And sure, one COULD play 18 at 272 yards, flat to the green - and that tee is a short walk from the 17th green.  But who truly wants to do that, when the Slate tee is at 342?  My son and I, coming into 18 all square, were not gonna play a hole shortened 70 yards.  So yeah, I was cursing Doak.  It's a much more fun tee shot from there but damn he makes you earn it.  🙂

St. Patrick's is a very fine golf course.  It just is a very difficult walk.  That's OK.  Doak is neither perfect nor God.  🙂

At the end of the day to each is own....but I am an out of shape 60 year old who carries. 😎 

2 hours ago, El Gringo said:

At the end of the day to each is own....but I am an out of shape 60 year old who carries. 😎 

And just what in the hell do you think I am?  DOB 9/5/63.  Fat and old.  Carried every round over there during recent 10 day trip.  🙂

One thing I am not is a Doak butt-boy.  If he's wrong he's wrong.  And in this case, he's wrong.  🙂

Edited by Mullenboy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ajgoodal.704 said:

Have any of you played Castlerock?  It looks to be just over an hours drive from Letterkenny.  

I have, and it’s fun. In fact, their 9 hole Bann course is fantastic. 

IMG_3518.jpeg

IMG_3519.jpeg

IMG_3520.jpeg

IMG_3521.jpeg

IMG_3523.jpeg

IMG_3524.jpeg

IMG_3526.jpeg

IMG_3522.jpeg

Edited by hammergolf

3 hours ago, Mullenboy said:

Great pics of the Bann!  It was raining when I played it last week so in favor of keeping phone dry, no pics were taken.

It is great fun for sure.  Love it.  2nd best 9holer in Ireland.  Cruit Island is the champ.

Cruit is in its own class for sure!

12 hours ago, Mullenboy said:

And just what in the hell do you think I am?  DOB 9/5/63.  Fat and old.  Carried every round over there during recent 10 day trip.  🙂

One thing I am not is a Doak butt-boy.  If he's wrong he's wrong.  And in this case, he's wrong.  🙂

I guess nobody can please everybody. 🤷

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hammergolf said:

I have, and it’s fun. In fact, their 9 hole Bann course is fantastic. 

IMG_3518.jpeg

IMG_3519.jpeg

IMG_3520.jpeg

IMG_3521.jpeg

IMG_3523.jpeg

IMG_3524.jpeg

IMG_3526.jpeg

IMG_3522.jpeg

Great Pics!  Did you play the Mussenden and the Bann?  

2024 Bag

30 minutes ago, Mullenboy said:

Not asking me but I have played both... doing them same day is indeed a great day.

Thank you for all the feedback so far.  I appreciate it.  I'm going to bite the bullet and extend the trip by one day.  If given the choice of Portsalon or Castlerock, which would you choose?  I'll play Sandy Hills on Sunday.  One of those two on Monday.  St. Patrick's on Tuesday, before heading south for Donegal and Carne.  

2024 Bag