Seeking some Rosapenna insight

3 hours ago, ajgoodal.704 said:

Great Pics!  Did you play the Mussenden and the Bann?  

I played Mussenden, but didn’t have time to play Bann. However, I rode a cart around the Bann 9 to see the holes. I will definitely do all 27 holes when I go back.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

23 minutes ago, ajgoodal.704 said:

Thank you for all the feedback so far.  I appreciate it.  I'm going to bite the bullet and extend the trip by one day.  If given the choice of Portsalon or Castlerock, which would you choose?  I'll play Sandy Hills on Sunday.  One of those two on Monday.  St. Patrick's on Tuesday, before heading south for Donegal and Carne.  

For me, Portsalon is better than Castlerock. But if I was going to add a course to the area and your trip I would add Narin & Portnoo.

1 hour ago, ajgoodal.704 said:

Thank you for all the feedback so far.  I appreciate it.  I'm going to bite the bullet and extend the trip by one day.  If given the choice of Portsalon or Castlerock, which would you choose?  I'll play Sandy Hills on Sunday.  One of those two on Monday.  St. Patrick's on Tuesday, before heading south for Donegal and Carne.  

That's a very tough choice.  Both are great.  I am gonna say Castlerock ONLY because of the opportunity to play all 27.  You really shouldn't miss the Bann.  It is 9 holes of pure fun and can be walked in 90 minutes or less.

One other thing.. allow for a lot of time getting from place to place.  The roads are tiny and the turns are many.

1 hour ago, Mullenboy said:

That's a very tough choice.  Both are great.  I am gonna say Castlerock ONLY because of the opportunity to play all 27.  You really shouldn't miss the Bann.  It is 9 holes of pure fun and can be walked in 90 minutes or less.

One other thing.. allow for a lot of time getting from place to place.  The roads are tiny and the turns are many.

Oh I know.  We did a west coast jaunt last year.  Castle Dargan, Strandhill, County Sligo, Enniscrone, Ballinrobe, Galway Bay, Lahinch and Doonbeg.  GPS puts you on some tight roads.  Especially in a passenger van.  

2024 Bag

Cobra KING LTDx (9*) - MCA Tensei RAW White 6S

Cobra Radspeed 3W (13*) - MCA Kai'li White 7S

TM Stealth Plus 5W (19*) - Project X Hzrdus RDX Red 75S 

Cobra KING Tour MIM (4-G) - KBS C-Taper 120S

Sub 70 JB Forged FF (54,60L) - KBS S-Taper 120S

Odyssey White Hot Versa 7S

Late to the party on this. 
a few suggestions from an Irishman who loves his links golf and has played them all: 

- play the Championship course at Rosses - I know you will be jet lagged but Bomore is essentially a practice ground. No

more. The main course at Rosses is so good and too good to miss.

- St Pats has the potential to be one of the very best we have. I’d play it twice ahead of Old Tom. 
- play all 27 at Carne. The most amazing land. It really is. 
PM me as needed. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym Max 10.5, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Callaway AI Smoke Paradym Max 3HL 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red 7X

Callaway UW 19, Fujikura Ventus Red 8X

Titleist 505 22, Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 9S

ProtoConcept C-03,  5 - PW, Aerotech Steelfiber 110S

Artisan 50/54/58, Aerotech Steelfiber 110S
Piretti Matera Elite
Callaway Chrome Tour X
Lamkin Crossline Cord

5 minutes ago, gm12673 said:

Late to the party on this. 
a few suggestions from an Irishman who loves his links golf and has played them all: 

- play the Championship course at Rosses - I know you will be jet lagged but Bomore is essentially a practice ground. No

more. The main course at Rosses is so good and too good to miss.

- St Pats has the potential to be one of the very best we have. I’d play it twice ahead of Old Tom. 
- play all 27 at Carne. The most amazing land. It really is. 
PM me as needed. 

Thanks for the reply.  I'm a month away from starting to put down tracks, so not too late.  I played the Colt course last summer and it was really good.  One of those courses I'd love to be a member at.  After thinking about it, we'll probably not play on Day 1.  I missed hiking at Gleniff Horseshoe and Eagle's Rock last year, so Day 1 would be a good time to see those before the golfing journey begins.  Golf will start at Lough Erne and end with two days at Carne.  Since my first post, I've tweaked a little.  

Day 1 - Arrive Shannon (Late AM), Sightsee & Hike in Sligo, Overnight Sligo (1 Night)

Day 2 - Lough Erne Faldo, Overnight Letterkenny (4 Nights)

Day 3 - Sandy Hills (Replay Options at Rosapenna)

Day 4 - Portsalon, Castlerock or Cruit Island

Day 5 - St. Patrick's (Replay Options at Rosapenna)

Day 6 - Donegal, Overnight Ballina (3 Nights)

Day 7 - Carne (Wild Atlantic Dunes)

Day 8 - Carne (Hackett)

Day 9 - Depart Shannon (Early PM)

2024 Bag

29 minutes ago, ajgoodal.704 said:

Thanks for the reply.  I'm a month away from starting to put down tracks, so not too late.  I played the Colt course last summer and it was really good.  One of those courses I'd love to be a member at.  After thinking about it, we'll probably not play on Day 1.  I missed hiking at Gleniff Horseshoe and Eagle's Rock last year, so Day 1 would be a good time to see those before the golfing journey begins.  Golf will start at Lough Erne and end with two days at Carne.  Since my first post, I've tweaked a little.  

Day 1 - Arrive Shannon (Late AM), Sightsee & Hike in Sligo, Overnight Sligo (1 Night)

Day 2 - Lough Erne Faldo, Overnight Letterkenny (4 Nights)

Day 3 - Sandy Hills (Replay Options at Rosapenna)

Day 4 - Portsalon, Castlerock or Cruit Island

Day 5 - St. Patrick's (Replay Options at Rosapenna)

Day 6 - Donegal, Overnight Ballina (3 Nights)

Day 7 - Carne (Wild Atlantic Dunes)

Day 8 - Carne (Hackett)

Day 9 - Depart Shannon (Early PM)

Fab itinerary. You’ve a great line up there. Can’t go wrong on Day 4. Cruit probably the most “fun” option, especially with “big golf” / replay possibilities the day before and the day after. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym Max 10.5, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Callaway AI Smoke Paradym Max 3HL 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red 7X

Callaway UW 19, Fujikura Ventus Red 8X

Titleist 505 22, Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 9S

ProtoConcept C-03,  5 - PW, Aerotech Steelfiber 110S

Artisan 50/54/58, Aerotech Steelfiber 110S
Piretti Matera Elite
Callaway Chrome Tour X
Lamkin Crossline Cord

Looking great!

Day 4 - each of the three you list is a hefty drive from Rosapenna... but each of the three are worth it.  Cruit Island has vaulted to my favorite place on this planet (ok second after my home away from home club Sand Hills GC, NE, USA) so it is killing me that you might miss it but... it's gonna be tough to combine with either of the other two, and it is only 9 holes.    Maybe man up for a long driving day and do Portsalon and Cruit?  The former is not all that far from Rosapenna.  So my reco would be... early am drive out to Cruit - 90 minutes - play it twice with a pint and some lunch in the middle.  Drive back to Porstalon... about 80 minutes.  Play that the rest of the day.  Enjoy another pint and a meal and some craic there.  Back to Rosapenna to sleep.

This omits Castlerock - which also kills me as a 27 hole day there is as good as life gets - but... it's the wrong direction from Rosapenna.  

I see no Portrush.  It is quite far from everything else you are doing so it makes sense.  BUT... both courses there are incredible.  If you go to Castlerock you are getting very close.  Just tempting you.

The whole island is golf heaven.  😉

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mullenboy said:

Looking great!

Day 4 - each of the three you list is a hefty drive from Rosapenna... but each of the three are worth it.  Cruit Island has vaulted to my favorite place on this planet (ok second after my home away from home club Sand Hills GC, NE, USA) so it is killing me that you might miss it but... it's gonna be tough to combine with either of the other two, and it is only 9 holes.    Maybe man up for a long driving day and do Portsalon and Cruit?  The former is not all that far from Rosapenna.  So my reco would be... early am drive out to Cruit - 90 minutes - play it twice with a pint and some lunch in the middle.  Drive back to Porstalon... about 80 minutes.  Play that the rest of the day.  Enjoy another pint and a meal and some craic there.  Back to Rosapenna to sleep.

This omits Castlerock - which also kills me as a 27 hole day there is as good as life gets - but... it's the wrong direction from Rosapenna.  

I see no Portrush.  It is quite far from everything else you are doing so it makes sense.  BUT... both courses there are incredible.  If you go to Castlerock you are getting very close.  Just tempting you.

The whole island is golf heaven.  😉

The biggest problem is that there are too many great courses and not enough days in a week.  Based on many of the recommendations from you guys, I've come up with this gem. While not perfect, it is about as close as I can get given I have 6 days to golf.  I'm sure I'll love Donegal, which means a repeat trip someday where I can nab Lough Erne, Portsalon, Ballyliffin and the Antrim Coast courses.  

Day 1 - Arrive SNN Late AM, Sightsee in Sligo & Donegal, Overnight in Glenties

Day 2 - Narin & Portnoo AM, Cruit Island PM, Overnight in Letterkenny (3 Nights)

Day 3 - St. Patrick's Links, Pub hopping in Downings

Day 4 - Sandy Hills (Options for replay if we get the itch)

Day 5 - Donegal, Overnight in Ballina (2 Nights)

Day 6 - Carne Wild Atlantic Dunes

Day 7 - Carne Hackett, Dinner and Overnight in Cong

Day 8 - Depart SNN Early PM

Edited by ajgoodal.704
Grammar
  • Like 1

2024 Bag

That's fine itin for sure.  I'll just say a few more things before I give up.  Remember I was just at all of these places last week.

1.  I like Day 2 - great idea!  40 minutes or so from N&P to Cruit - great day to do that.  Stay to eat and have a little craic at Cruit Island.  It's a very small operation but very friendly and the food is fantastic.  

2.  There is no such thing as pub hopping in Downings.  There are two "pubs" - the one at the hotel (attached to restaurant) and one next door (real pub - which can get lively with every young person from 100 miles around there on a crowded night).  There is a restaurant/bar at the resort and while it is nice it is pretty sterile.  By that I mean... I love the golf courses and it is a neat little town but there is truly little reason to hang around there at night.

3.  You can very very easily play St. Pat's and Sandy Hills the same day.  It'll take 3.5 hours max to play each.  Each is a stern walk but hell I am fat and 60 and I did both and Cruit same day and loved it all.  Heck if fatigue is an issue take a buggy at Sandy Hills.

3. No golf at all on day 5?

4.  Based on all of this I'd urge you to reconsider how you have Days 3, 4, 5.  You truly do not need three days for that... what you have stated there can really be done in one.  Re-combine it and get then to Portsalon, which is incredible.

All in good fun.  🙂

Edited by Mullenboy

2 hours ago, Mullenboy said:

That's fine itin for sure.  I'll just say a few more things before I give up.  Remember I was just at all of these places last week.

1.  I like Day 2 - great idea!  40 minutes or so from N&P to Cruit - great day to do that.  Stay to eat and have a little craic at Cruit Island.  It's a very small operation but very friendly and the food is fantastic.  

2.  There is no such thing as pub hopping in Downings.  There are two "pubs" - the one at the hotel (attached to restaurant) and one next door (real pub - which can get lively with every young person from 100 miles around there on a crowded night).  There is a restaurant/bar at the resort and while it is nice it is pretty sterile.  By that I mean... I love the golf courses and it is a neat little town but there is truly little reason to hang around there at night.

3.  You can very very easily play St. Pat's and Sandy Hills the same day.  It'll take 3.5 hours max to play each.  Each is a stern walk but hell I am fat and 60 and I did both and Cruit same day and loved it all.  Heck if fatigue is an issue take a buggy at Sandy Hills.

3. No golf at all on day 5?

4.  Based on all of this I'd urge you to reconsider how you have Days 3, 4, 5.  You truly do not need three days for that... what you have stated there can really be done in one.  Re-combine it and get then to Portsalon, which is incredible.

All in good fun.  🙂

Day 5 we play Donegal GC on the way south to Ballina.  Day 3 will be St Pats only.  We’ll drive up the Wild Atlantic Way to Murder Hole Beach and Fanad Head after Downings (or golf if the town really is bland).  Day 4, we’ll play Sandy Hills early enough, so we can decide on if and where we want to play another 18. It’ll be June, so sunlight won’t be an issue. 

• Like 2

2024 Bag

16 hours ago, ajgoodal.704 said:

Day 5 we play Donegal GC on the way south to Ballina.  Day 3 will be St Pats only.  We’ll drive up the Wild Atlantic Way to Murder Hole Beach and Fanad Head after Downings (or golf if the town really is bland).  Day 4, we’ll play Sandy Hills early enough, so we can decide on if and where we want to play another 18. It’ll be June, so sunlight won’t be an issue. 

Ok sounds great!  I am envious.   I was there last week and already want to go back.  🙂

19 minutes ago, Mullenboy said:

Ok sounds great!  I am envious.   I was there last week and already want to go back.  🙂

If you were to rank the courses (most to least favorite) that you played, what would they be?  

2024 Bag

23 hours ago, ajgoodal.704 said:

The biggest problem is that there are too many great courses and not enough days in a week.  Based on many of the recommendations from you guys, I've come up with this gem. While not perfect, it is about as close as I can get given I have 6 days to golf.  I'm sure I'll love Donegal, which means a repeat trip someday where I can nab Lough Erne, Portsalon, Ballyliffin and the Antrim Coast courses.  

Day 2 - Narin & Portnoo AM, Cruit Island PM, Overnight in Letterkenny (3 Nights)

Day 5 - Donegal, Overnight in Ballina (2 Nights)

Wow!!! N&P and Cruit in one day is pretty close to heaven… What an amazing lineup. 

• Like 1

If you were to rank the courses (most to least favorite) that you played, what would they be?  

That I have played EVER in Ireland, or just this past trip?

Recent trip.. from most to least favorite...

1. Cruit Island

2. Ardglass

3. Royal County Down

4. Royal Portrush Dunluce

5. Goswick Links

6. Castlerock Bann

7. Royal Portrush Valley

8. Rosapenna Sandy Hills

9. Rosapenna St. Patricks

10. Wentworth East

11. Portstewart

All-time ever in Ireland would add a lot of courses and require a lot more thought.

Thank you for sharing.  That’s pretty awesome that a couple of 9 holers rate so high.  

2024 Bag

• 2 weeks later...

Right now I’m finalizing Narin & Portnoo, a round on each of the Rosapenna courses and 2 rounds at Carne.  Opinions on Donegal or Portsalon? It’ll have to be one or the other.  

2024 Bag

Well I have played Donegal aka Murvagh and liked it a lot but you would have to say it is not a spectacular course in the vein of Carne or Enniscrone or even Rosses Point. But it is a very solid and high quality course with decent views across the water. Have not played Portsalon which by all accounts is a more attractive course.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Chanceman said:

Well I have played Donegal aka Murvagh and liked it a lot but you would have to say it is not a spectacular course in the vein of Carne or Enniscrone or even Rosses Point. But it is a very solid and high quality course with decent views across the water. Have not played Portsalon which by all accounts is a more attractive course.

Donegal slots in better with the transition from Carne to the Donegal courses.  Just wanted to see if Portsalon was worth the swap or not.  It would sit between the first two rounds at Carne and Sandy Hills.  Might make a nice non-roller coaster round in between.  Kind of like how County Sligo is a nice break after the big dunes of Carne and Enniscrone.  

2024 Bag

17 hours ago, ajgoodal.704 said:

Right now I’m finalizing Narin & Portnoo, a round on each of the Rosapenna courses and 2 rounds at Carne.  Opinions on Donegal or Portsalon? It’ll have to be one or the other.  

I don’t think you can go wrong with either one. For me, Portsalon has the better views, but Donegal is the better course. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

I don’t think you can go wrong with either one. For me, Portsalon has the better views, but Donegal is the better course. 

Playing around with the spreadsheet this afternoon (raining like crazy in NC), if I just suck it up and play St. Patrick’s on Wednesday morning, have lunch and play Sandy Hills in the afternoon, I can fit Narin & Portnoo, Donegal and Portsalon into this trip.  Those 5 with 2 rounds at Carne should make for an unforgettable trip. 

• Like 1

2024 Bag

14 minutes ago, ajgoodal.704 said:

Playing around with the spreadsheet this afternoon (raining like crazy in NC), if I just suck it up and play St. Patrick’s on Wednesday morning, have lunch and play Sandy Hills in the afternoon, I can fit Narin & Portnoo, Donegal and Portsalon into this trip.  Those 5 with 2 rounds at Carne should make for an unforgettable trip. 

That’s a great itinerary!

On 5/27/2023 at 10:21 PM, ajgoodal.704 said:

Opinions on Donegal or Portsalon? It’ll have to be one or the other.  

First off, You have a very nice itinerary. As between Donegal (Murvagh) and Portsalon, I'd play Portsalon. However, I think your best option for that day would be to play County Sligo (Rosses Point). It's a really  great course and is only about 45 minutes further drive than Murvagh and takes you closer to your next destination. As GM 12673 posted above, "Rosses Point is too good to miss".

That would give you this itinerary, which is great!!

Day 5 - Donegal,  County Sligo (Rosses Point) Overnight in Ballina (2 Nights)

6 hours ago, sabram said:

First off, You have a very nice itinerary. As between Donegal (Murvagh) and Portsalon, I'd play Portsalon. However, I think your best option for that day would be to play County Sligo (Rosses Point). It's a really  great course and is only about 45 minutes further drive than Murvagh and takes you closer to your next destination. As GM 12673 posted above, "Rosses Point is too good to miss".

That would give you this itinerary, which is great!!

Day 5 - Donegal,  County Sligo (Rosses Point) Overnight in Ballina (2 Nights)

Thanks for the input.  The more I think about it, the more I feel like playing Carne earlier in the trip when my body is fresh would be better.  Hopefully I won't be bothering you guys too much more on this one.  Love the photo albums, they definitely help.  The trip is shaping up as follows:  

Saturday - Arrive SNN Late AM, Check out The Beach Bar in Aughris Head (one of Tom Coyne's favorites in Ireland) and maybe knock the jetlag off with 9 holes on the Scurmore Course at Enniscrone, 3 Nights in Ballina

Sunday - Carne Golf Links (Hackett)

Monday - Carne Golf Links (Wild Atlantic Dunes)

Tuesday - Here is where opinions are going to differ.  Donegal GC had been my preference because I haven't played it, I've read good things and it is situated right off the N15.  I could easily sub in Narin & Portnoo Links if it is that much better.  I played Enniscrone GC, County Sligo GC and Strandhill GC last year, hence the snub this time around.  3 Nights in Letterkenny

Wednesday - Rosapenna St. Patrick's Links AM, PM options (Cruit Island GC or Rosapenna replay)

Thursday - Rosapenna Sandy Hills AM, PM options (Cruit Island GC or Rosapenna replay)

Friday - Portsalon GC (AM), 1 Night in Sligo

Saturday - Depart SNN Early PM

So the last big question for all my travel gurus is Donegal or Narin & Portnoo? 

2024 Bag

6 hours ago, ajgoodal.704 said:

Thanks for the input.  The more I think about it, the more I feel like playing Carne earlier in the trip when my body is fresh would be better.  Hopefully I won't be bothering you guys too much more on this one.  Love the photo albums, they definitely help.  The trip is shaping up as follows:  

Saturday - Arrive SNN Late AM, Check out The Beach Bar in Aughris Head (one of Tom Coyne's favorites in Ireland) and maybe knock the jetlag off with 9 holes on the Scurmore Course at Enniscrone, 3 Nights in Ballina

Tuesday - Here is where opinions are going to differ.  Donegal GC had been my preference because I haven't played it, I've read good things and it is situated right off the N15.  I could easily sub in Narin & Portnoo Links if it is that much better.  I played Enniscrone GC, County Sligo GC and Strandhill GC last year, hence the snub this time around.  3 Nights in Letterkenny

Wednesday - Rosapenna St. Patrick's Links AM, PM options (Cruit Island GC or Rosapenna replay)

Thursday - Rosapenna Sandy Hills AM, PM options (Cruit Island GC or Rosapenna replay)

I really like the layout and classic links of Donegal, but for me N&P would be my choice if I could only play one. The changes that Hanse made out this in the top tier. The stretch from 6-10 and 15-17 are really good. However, it’s definitely a more modern links design vs Donegal. Good news is you can’t go wrong with either. 

IMG_3370.jpeg

IMG_3371.jpeg

IMG_3374.jpeg

IMG_3375.jpeg

IMG_3389.jpeg

IMG_3388.jpeg

IMG_3376.jpeg

Edited by hammergolf

12 hours ago, ajgoodal.704 said:

Are you ticking courses for a list or putting together a good itinerary? If you have a list you want to play I suggest N&P because it's quite isolated. Even if in the area it takes an effort to get there and back. If you are simply trying to put together a good trip, I suggest Donegal because of the convenience. 

I don't know how you feel about playing mom and pops while in Ireland. If you like that sort of thing try the 9 holer Otway as a second game one day. Its a remarkable course. It was my favourite course on last year's Donegal trip. 

Edited by El Gringo

image.png.3d452d6034895922279293ea52222317.pngFunny you should mention Otway.  It just came across my FB feed this morning.  Looks beautiful.  Would be a nice add-on after Portsalon.  As far as ticking courses vs building a good golf trip, it’s probably some of both.  I’m still leaning more towards the convenience of Donegal.  I like having no more than 2.5 hours of total window time a day.  Thanks everyone for your guidance.  This is going to be a great one.  

• Like 1

2024 Bag