2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Seeking some Rosapenna insight

Just a quick update.  Dates and courses have been chosen for next June.  I've even been able to book a few already.  Ended up with the following: 

Friday - Arrive DUB or SNN AM, PM warm-up round (where will depend on which airport we fly into) or sightseeing (3 Nights in Ballina)

Saturday - Carne Golf Links (Wild Atlantic Dunes)

Sunday - Carne Golf Links (Hackett)

Monday - Donegal GC (3 Nights in Letterkenny)

Tuesday - 36 at Rosapenna, St. Patrick's Links AM, Sandy Hills Links PM

Wednesday - Portsalon GC AM, Otway GC (9) PM

Thursday - Lough Erne Faldo Course (1 Night in Kells or Sligo)

Friday - Depart DUB or SNN

Enniscrone and Castlerock are my contingencies.  

• Like 1

2024 Bag

Cobra KING LTDx (9*) - MCA Tensei RAW White 6S

Cobra Radspeed 3W (13*) - MCA Kai'li White 7S

TM Stealth Plus 5W (19*) - Project X Hzrdus RDX Red 75S 

Cobra KING Tour MIM (4-G) - KBS C-Taper 120S

Sub 70 JB Forged FF (54,60L) - KBS S-Taper 120S

Odyssey White Hot Versa 7S

• 3 weeks later...

After a few weeks of mapping different routes, emails and bookings, everything with the exception of Day 1 golf and a few nights lodging are booked for next June.  We'll look at airfare and car rental in September when they come available.  Really looking forward to this one.  

Friday - Arrive DUB Early AM.  The plan is to play a late AM Round at The K-Club (Palmer South) or Moyvalley before heading to Ballina for pints and rest (2 Nights in Ballina) The fun begins the next morning..... 

Saturday 11:00AM - Carne Golf Links (Wild Atlantic Dunes)

Sunday 11:00AM - Carne Golf Links (Hackett)

Overnight in Sligo

See Gleniff Horseshoe on way to Portsalon

Monday 1:20PM - Portsalon GC

3 Nights in Letterkenny

Tuesday 11:06AM - Castlerock Golf Club (Mussenden Links)

See Giants Causeway and/or Bushmills in PM

Wednesday 9:00AM - St. Patrick's Links; 2:00PM - Sandy Hills Links

Thursday 10:20AM - Lough Erne (Faldo Course)

Overnight near Dublin

Friday - Depart DUB AM 

2024 Bag

7 hours ago, ajgoodal.704 said:

After a few weeks of mapping different routes, emails and bookings, everything with the exception of Day 1 golf and a few nights lodging are booked for next June.  We'll look at airfare and car rental in September when they come available.  Really looking forward to this one.  

Friday - Arrive DUB Early AM.  The plan is to play a late AM Round at The K-Club (Palmer South) or Moyvalley before heading to Ballina for pints and rest (2 Nights in Ballina) The fun begins the next morning..... 

Saturday 11:00AM - Carne Golf Links (Wild Atlantic Dunes)

Sunday 11:00AM - Carne Golf Links (Hackett)

Overnight in Sligo

See Gleniff Horseshoe on way to Portsalon

Monday 1:20PM - Portsalon GC

3 Nights in Letterkenny

Tuesday 11:06AM - Castlerock Golf Club (Mussenden Links)

See Giants Causeway and/or Bushmills in PM

Wednesday 9:00AM - St. Patrick's Links; 2:00PM - Sandy Hills Links

Thursday 10:20AM - Lough Erne (Faldo Course)

Overnight near Dublin

Friday - Depart DUB AM 

Great lineup! If you get a chance and have a couple hours, try to play The Bann 9 at Castlerock. Sooo much fun. Carrick-a-rede is a great sight to see as well and very close to Giant’s Causeway.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

10 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Great lineup! If you get a chance and have a couple hours, try to play The Bann 9 at Castlerock. Sooo much fun. Carrick-a-rede is a great sight to see as well and very close to Giant’s Causeway.

Depending on how we feel that morning, we could leave early and try to get on the Bann for 9 before the Mussenden.  I gave us plenty of flexibility throughout the week not scheduling more than 18 except for the day at Rosapenna.  Time for sightseeing, pubs and craic are just as important as the golf.  Have you been into Derry? 

2024 Bag

Great lineup!

I second the suggestion to play the Bann at Castlerock - it is really really fun and you can get around it in an hour, 90 minutes tops.  Good idea to leave things fluid though as much as you can... pubs and craic are hugely important.

To that end.... on the Wednesday you will be within 90 minutes of Cruit Island.  I know you have 36 booked that day and it's a great 36.   It'll stay light until around 10pm though so... I know it sounds crazy but.. get thyself to Cruit after the 36.  You will not find a more fun, crazy, scenic 9 hole course on this planet.  And the craic should be fantastic... they have a tiny clubhouse/bar that serves great food and the members/owners are very friendly... proud of their place and eager to talk about it.  And sing songs of praise.  🙂

I am 60 years old and overweight.  I did all this a few months ago... 36 at Rosapenna then late 9 at Cruit.  I've been a lot of places and done a lot of great things... this is right at the top of the best golf days of my life.

Please consider it anyway.  If you do it and regret it... send me a message and I will make it up to you.  😉

Edited by Mullenboy
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, ajgoodal.704 said:

Depending on how we feel that morning, we could leave early and try to get on the Bann for 9 before the Mussenden.  I gave us plenty of flexibility throughout the week not scheduling more than 18 except for the day at Rosapenna.  Time for sightseeing, pubs and craic are just as important as the golf.  Have you been into Derry? 

That’s a good plan. So many great things to see and places to play. I haven’t spent much time in Derry, most of the time I’m driving through on the way to Portstewart or Donegal. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mullenboy said:

Great lineup!

I second the suggestion to play the Bann at Castlerock - it is really really fun and you can get around it in an hour, 90 minutes tops.  Good idea to leave things fluid though as much as you can... pubs and craic are hugely important.

To that end.... on the Wednesday you will be within 90 minutes of Cruit Island.  I know you have 36 booked that day and it's a great 36.   It'll stay light until around 10pm though so... I know it sounds crazy but.. get thyself to Cruit after the 36.  You will not find a more fun, crazy, scenic 9 hole course on this planet.  And the craic should be fantastic... they have a tiny clubhouse/bar that serves great food and the members/owners are very friendly... proud of their place and eager to talk about it.  And sing songs of praise.  🙂

I am 60 years old and overweight.  I did all this a few months ago... 36 at Rosapenna then late 9 at Cruit.  I've been a lot of places and done a lot of great things... this is right at the top of the best golf days of my life.

Please consider it anyway.  If you do it and regret it... send me a message and I will make it up to you.  😉

I agree, Cruit is about as much fun as you can have in 9 holes…

2 hours ago, Chanceman said:

I think that NW corner of Ireland is so cool. I might plan a trip there in a year or so, basing the team in Letterkenny and travelling to Donegal, Cruitt Island, Portsalon, Rosapenna and Ballyliffin - even Portrush/Castlerock/Portstewart are not too far.

It really is an incredible part of the country.  If we weren't heading over to Belmullet for a couple of rounds beforehand, I would've set us up in Letterkenny for 5-6 days and just ventured out from there.  That could be the plan next trip.  Ballyliffin wasn't an option this time because they are hosting the Amateur Championship the week we are there.  I definitely want to get there for a few rounds in the future.  Donegal, Narin & Portnoo, Cruit Island, Ballyliffin and Portrush or Portstewart would make a good week.  Throw in a customary parkland round at Slieve Russell or Concra Wood.  Sounds like I need to start planning for 2025.  🙂  

2024 Bag

5 hours ago, Chanceman said:

I think that NW corner of Ireland is so cool. I might plan a trip there in a year or so, basing the team in Letterkenny and travelling to Donegal, Cruitt Island, Portsalon, Rosapenna and Ballyliffin - even Portrush/Castlerock/Portstewart are not too far.

I 100% agree. The courses in NW and W Ireland are every bit as good as the courses in SW just don’t receive the same publicity. 

4 hours ago, st1800e said:

There’s only 27 holes at Carne, so you’ll end up playing one of the nines twice.  

I know.  We were washed out when I was there last year, so I plan on spending a little bit extra time there this time around.  

• Like 1

2024 Bag

2 hours ago, hammergolf said:

I 100% agree. The courses in NW and W Ireland are every bit as good as the courses in SW just don’t receive the same publicity. 

I'd say the word is starting to get out though.  You can see it in the greens fees.  Everyone of the courses I booked for 2024 are higher for than their listed 2023 fees.   The 400e Rosapenna 3 Links Ticket (Super Value) is going to 495e for 2024.  Portsalon and Castlerock went up a bit as well.  

2024 Bag

1 hour ago, ajgoodal.704 said:

I'd say the word is starting to get out though.  You can see it in the greens fees.  Everyone of the courses I booked for 2024 are higher for than their listed 2023 fees.   The 400e Rosapenna 3 Links Ticket (Super Value) is going to 495e for 2024.  Portsalon and Castlerock went up a bit as well.  

True, but the prices have increased pretty much everywhere, but the value in the NW is still fantastic though. A lineup of Carne, Enniscrone, Rosses Point, Donegal, Narin & Portnoo, and Rosapenna is still half the price of Lahinch, Doonbeg, Ballybunion, Tralee, Waterville, and Dooks and Imho the courses are every bit as good.

1 hour ago, ajgoodal.704 said:

I know.  We were washed out when I was there last year, so I plan on spending a little bit extra time there this time around.  

I would love to see Carne build another 9 holes on the land to the SW of the existing course. There are some amazing dunes that go all the way out to the water…

IMG_1738.jpeg

Edited by hammergolf

On 6/24/2023 at 10:03 PM, ajgoodal.704 said:

Have been out on the town in Derry - but it was over 30 years ago - before the cessation of hostilities! 3 mates from University (young and stupid) The Englishman, the Irishman and the Scotsman - beginning of many jokes I know! We were staying at the Irishman’s parents house in the bogside - we went to one pub where there was a gun bin just inside the door! I am the Scottish Protestant in this scenario ( the other two are RC) was followed into the toilet by a very large burly chap with obvious PM tatoos who demanded to know “where the f**k I was from”? to which I politely replied Scotland! I reckon he thought I was too stupid to be in there without a cover - so he then asked who was I with - I replied my mate (M) - he considered that was fine and left!! Jeez I almost had to depart the urinal for a stall!! Hehe had a great time there - the craic must be even better nowadays!!!

2 hours ago, AltC said:

Have been out on the town in Derry - but it was over 30 years ago - before the cessation of hostilities! 3 mates from University (young and stupid) The Englishman, the Irishman and the Scotsman - beginning of many jokes I know! We were staying at the Irishman’s parents house in the bogside - we went to one pub where there was a gun bin just inside the door! I am the Scottish Protestant in this scenario ( the other two are RC) was followed into the toilet by a very large burly chap with obvious PM tatoos who demanded to know “where the f**k I was from”? to which I politely replied Scotland! I reckon he thought I was too stupid to be in there without a cover - so he then asked who was I with - I replied my mate (M) - he considered that was fine and left!! Jeez I almost had to depart the urinal for a stall!! Hehe had a great time there - the craic must be even better nowadays!!!

Now that is a good story!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

The trip has been finalized and all the golf has been booked.  I'm pretty happy with the variety and am appreciative of all the advice you guys have given me along the way.  You'll notice that St. Patrick's is not in the line-up anymore.  With all the reports of conditioning issues, I just thought it would be best to wait a few years to play it.  Now we are playing the pricing game with flights/car rental and we'll be good to go.  This is what we ended up with: 

Day 1 - Arrive DUB (4:30-7:00AM), Glasson Golf Club Late AM, Overnight in Enniscrone (3 Nights)

Day 2 - Carne Golf Links (Wild Atlantic Dunes) - Late AM

Day 3 - Carne Golf Links (Hackett) - Late AM

Day 4 - Enniscrone Golf Club (Dunes) - AM, Overnight in Letterkenny (3 Nights) 

Day 5 - Rosapenna Sandy Hills Links - AM, Old Tom Morris Links - PM

Day 6 - Portsalon Golf Club - AM *

Day 7 - Lough Erne Resort (Faldo Course) - AM **, Overnight in Kells 

Day 8 - Depart DUB (11:00AM - 1:00PM)

* Opportunity for additional golf at Otway GC in PM

** Opportunity for additional golf at Slieve Russell or Headfort GC (Championship) in PM

• Like 1

2024 Bag

10 hours ago, ajgoodal.704 said:

The trip has been finalized and all the golf has been booked.  I'm pretty happy with the variety and am appreciative of all the advice you guys have given me along the way.  You'll notice that St. Patrick's is not in the line-up anymore.  With all the reports of conditioning issues, I just thought it would be best to wait a few years to play it.  Now we are playing the pricing game with flights/car rental and we'll be good to go.  This is what we ended up with: 

Day 1 - Arrive DUB (4:30-7:00AM), Glasson Golf Club Late AM, Overnight in Enniscrone (3 Nights)

Day 2 - Carne Golf Links (Wild Atlantic Dunes) - Late AM

Day 3 - Carne Golf Links (Hackett) - Late AM

Day 4 - Enniscrone Golf Club (Dunes) - AM, Overnight in Letterkenny (3 Nights) 

Day 5 - Rosapenna Sandy Hills Links - AM, Old Tom Morris Links - PM

Day 6 - Portsalon Golf Club - AM *

Day 7 - Lough Erne Resort (Faldo Course) - AM **, Overnight in Kells 

Day 8 - Depart DUB (11:00AM - 1:00PM)

* Opportunity for additional golf at Otway GC in PM

** Opportunity for additional golf at Slieve Russell or Headfort GC (Championship) in PM

Awesome trip! Look forward to reading your updates.