2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Which Callaway iron is similar to Titleist T100s

allenartlab

To clarify, is he playing T100 or T100•S?

I made the switch from the Callaway Apex Pro 19 (Project X Rifle 6.5 shafts) to T100•S (KBS Tour V Stiff) this year. Overall, I’d say they’re fairly similar although I find the Titleists to be a bit more forgiving, lower trajectory, better (lower) spin. Trajectory and spin were what led me to choose the T100•S over T100 in my fitting, as I struggle with high spin, ballooning iron shots. I really like how they look at address, and I close the head a little better with the T100•S. I also love the way they interact with the turf.

Based on my very anecdotal experience, I might suggest trying recent years’ Apex and Apex Pro models. If at all possible, a fitting or some swings in a sim would help I’m sure.

Edited by ratdog

^^^this^^^, I would agree with the newer versions of the Apex Pro (I currently play the 21s with steelfiber i110CW x Flex) or the TCBs, which are more comparable to the T100 (same lofts), the Pro 21s are closer to the T100S in loft (perhaps not in feel, I don't think they are as soft as the T100), very forgiving though, good luck, I am sure others will chime in.

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway AI Smole TD 15*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway AI Smoke TD 20*, Denali white 70g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago and White Hot Pro V-Line as back ups)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

This will seem hypocritical coming from a lifelong equipment ho like myself, but here goes...

If any of my kids got serious about golf I'd try my best to influence them to have a more healthy attitude about gear than I've always had.

The cheapest clubs to own are the ones already in your bag. If you've hit great shots with them, then you know you can hit great shots with them. Unless there's a serious fit issue due to gaining size or speed it is almost always better to trust your clubs and work on your game.  

The T100S is one of the most loved releases from the last few years. If he likes them he should keep them. Changing irons can really set your game back if you make a bad decision. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, me05501 said:

This will seem hypocritical coming from a lifelong equipment ho like myself, but here goes...

If any of my kids got serious about golf I'd try my best to influence them to have a more healthy attitude about gear than I've always had.

The cheapest clubs to own are the ones already in your bag. If you've hit great shots with them, then you know you can hit great shots with them. Unless there's a serious fit issue due to gaining size or speed it is almost always better to trust your clubs and work on your game.  

The T100S is one of the most loved releases from the last few years. If he likes them he should keep them. Changing irons can really set your game back if you make a bad decision. 

Thanks for your comments. We do not want to switch but the T100s are a bit worn out...

• Like 1

With the current line up there is not really a perfect replacement, the current Apex Pro 21 will not feel as solid as they are the hollow body design. But he may like it. I think the X Forged CB would be the best fit but not sure if they are still available.

If he can make it another 2 months we should see the full new Apex line! 

• Thanks 1

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST ◆◆◆  / Tour AD HD  

4wood - Cobra RadSpeed / Tour AD IZ

Hybrid - Callaway Apex / Tour AD DI 

Irons - Cobra Forge Tec  /  Dart V 90  

Wedges - Cleveland RTX 6  52 / 58 

Putter - TM Spider X   Ball - Titleist AVX

44 minutes ago, allenartlab said:

Just checked the callawaygolf website, the only available club from the XForged line is utility iron.

Gotta wait for the new models or buy from CPO, which may not have a discount from AJGA.

AITD MAX  10.5° + UB6 AIMAX 16.5° + 21° + 24° + UB6+7+8 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / JWS RW + MODUS120 / SPDRL-NCK+ CT 120

On 6/22/2023 at 9:50 AM, allenartlab said:

My son is thinking of switching to Callaway due to higher discount offered via AJGA. He is playing T100s. Which Callaway irons are similar in feel and performance? Thanks!

Apex TCB would get my vote, but as mentioned ^^^ Callaway is revamping their whole line come the fall and some of the stuff is getting harder to get your hands on.  To play devil's advocate, if there are multiple OEMs that offer a discount, I would go through a brand-agnostic fitting with those 2-3 brands at the same time (i.e. go to Club Champion, Hot Stix, PGATSS, wherever has this capability) to see what he hits best.  Sure, the discount is nice, but is an extra 5-10% really worth it if he hits the clubs worse than his current ones?  That is just going to lead to him playing worse and getting frustrated, and dumping more money back into fixing it, or selling the clubs and buying what fits anyways.  Both of which are going to cost more than doing it correctly in the first place.  If it comes down to like 200 RPMs of spin and 1-2 yards of carry and 3 feet on either side closer to the pin, then sure, go for what's cheaper as that will likely be statistically indistinguishable over a large enough sample size, but if one is a clear winner (more than 5 yards extra carry, noticeably straighter, and a better spin and launch window) then that slightly better discount isn't worth it at the end of the day because the performance will not be there.

Callaway Paradym 9 -- Accra TZFive 60

Callaway Paradym 15 & Paradym TD 18  -- Accra TZFive 70

Cobra King Tec 22 & 25 -- MMT 80

Ping i525 6-PW, UW -- Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54 & 58 -- DG Spinner 

Bettinardi Hive Custom -- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

• 1 month later...

You might look at the Maltby listings.  Nothing to my eye seems to line up in terms of vertical COG, MOI, and C dimension, which I gather (could be wrong) are the main things.  Callaway seem to have a generally higher COG, possibly because of larger faces to get more MOI.

It looks like the two shops actually have a difference design philosophy, with Callaway making either traditional performing clubs or big headed clubs, and Titleist making more clubs with lower COG and possibly getting more MOI and spin from rearward COG.  Which is a a lot for a non-expert like me to read into a casual reading of a bunch of numbers, so like I say you may want to look at the numbers yourself.  As far as I know nobody contest Maltby’s actual physical measurements, and you can do what you like with them.

• 1 month later...

What if you switch to Callaway and his game degrades? Then you have to go back to Titleist and now you've wasted money on the Callaways and you still have to purchase another set of Titleists.  If saving money is the goal, I would purchase a used set of Titleists.  Stick with what works, don't compromise.

• Like 2

Clubs: King Cobra 454 Comp 9* / Cobra LTDx Max 3 Wood / Srixon ZX4 Irons 4-P / Titleist Wedges - S Grind / SeeMore M7x   Note: Views expressed are my opinions based on my experiences playing golf.  I reserve the right to change my opinions - without notice. 

• 2 weeks later...

The TCB and CB will be a little less forgiving going towards the toe and heel, but might be better if he plays fluffy fairways and gets them a bit higher on the face once in a while. It's those high on the face shots that moved me away from the t100 as it looses a lot of distance from that part of the face. 

Maybe test the new Apex Pro's and see how they feel and what the numbers do. Or wait a few months to see Callaway's replacements for the X Forged.

4 minutes ago, Klap said:

Maybe test the new Apex Pro's and see how they feel and what the numbers do. Or wait a few months to see Callaway's replacements for the X Forged.

Apex CB is the "new X Forged."

The recently released Apex Pro would be what I'd expect the young man to gravitate to coming from T100-S, but the new CB should also be in the conversation. 

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

2 hours ago, bcflyguy1 said:

Apex CB is the "new X Forged."

That's a bit of a shame as the X Forged clearly was more forgiving. I hit it but Callaway just stopped selling it here at the time so I went TCB to replace the T100 but the X Forged sure felt closer to the T100 than the TCB.

The new CB feels and performs very close to the TCB, maybe even less forgiving. (At least in my hands...)