2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Arm Lock Putters

sheppick.dan

57 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

Well count me frustrated. Went to two big golf stores just to find *any* armlock putter to roll about before I order one blind. Neither one has a single armlock. 

Nope, I can't find them here either. So its either buy blind or don't. Nobody around me has one either that i've been able to find.

22 hours ago, sheppick.dan said:

What was your fit that they suggested?

my video suggested a 70deg 43” 5deg

I didn’t go through their process. I already knew what I wanted. I more so wanted them to build it so that the weight was as dialed in as my stock DF2.1 that they sell at PGATSS. I think I remember reading (don’t quote me, but a LAB response with the info is buried in 1 of these threads somewhere) that those stock ones are 40”, 75* & 4.5 loft. So I had my LAB custom built to 42”, 78* & 4.5 loft. It’s perfect for me because it’s a little longer & more upright. 

As mentioned, trial is key because everyone is different. My advice would be just take an older putter & lengthen it since you can’t demo any. Throw a long grip on it & bend it if needed. I’ve made my own armlock versions with old putters before. See what works. 

Or, worst case scenario, they fly off eBay so you really wouldn’t be out any money if it turns out to be a failed experiment. I think it takes like 4-7 weeks to have 1 built, so people are snatching them up 2nd hand for quicker delivery times. 

• Like 1

Alright did the blind jump and got mine today. Adjustment period hasnt been as bad as i thought, 30 mins in i feel pretty comfortable. Only thing Im on the fence about is the jumbomax flat 17 grip, where the flat is against the forearm. Anyone go to a more traditional grip, like a 17” superstroke just straight on?

2 hours ago, golfinbrad said:

I had an odyssey stroke lab #7.  Loved it.  Got rid of it because I still believe the USGA will over step and ban them as well.  My putting has been horrible since.  Might pull the trigger on a Cobra.  No question it can help.  

I dont  see how it gives an “advantage”, in my opinion it can help some but not others. No different than different toe hangs and counterbalance, etc….but it is the USGA so knowing them…they will try to ban it. 

2 hours ago, Red4282 said:

I dont  see how it gives an “advantage”, in my opinion it can help some but not others. No different than different toe hangs and counterbalance, etc….but it is the USGA so knowing them…they will try to ban it. 

Which one did you buy? I found a taylormade delmonte cheap from a local buddy. Haven’t tried it yet though. 

9 hours ago, Red4282 said:

Totally agree.  I get the anchoring argument, but belly and broomsticks did not prove they were either.  There are positives and negatives with all styles and vary player to player.  Right now the hot item are the counterbalance putters.  They have been around forever as well.  I often scratch my head about issues the USGA chooses to focus on.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2023 at 5:22 PM, Red4282 said:

Alright did the blind jump and got mine today. Adjustment period hasnt been as bad as i thought, 30 mins in i feel pretty comfortable. Only thing Im on the fence about is the jumbomax flat 17 grip, where the flat is against the forearm. Anyone go to a more traditional grip, like a 17” superstroke just straight on?

I started with the jumbomax 17” on regular (not turned 90* to lay flat against your forearm) & really liked it. It gave me a nice resting spot for my hands, very similar to a regular super stroke flatso grip, just longer. 

For me at least, I just can’t get along with it being only 17”. I wish it was longer. It feels odd & like my bottom hand is holding the bottom end of the grip down along the putter shaft. Maybe I have long forearms or something who knows lol but I quickly realized I like the 21” belly grips on mine. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Southside Seminole said:

I started with the jumbomax 17” on regular (not turned 90* to lay flat against your forearm) & really liked it. It gave me a nice resting spot for my hands, very similar to a regular super stroke flatso grip, just longer. 

For me at least, I just can’t get along with it being only 17”. I wish it was longer. It feels odd & like my bottom hand is holding the bottom end of the grip down along the putter shaft. Maybe I have long forearms or something who knows lol but I quickly realized I like the 21” belly grips on mine. 

Thats actually what Im going to do, for now, turn the jumbo flatside up. I wanted to get the superstroke 3.0 17” that i guess rickie is using but its sold out everywhere. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Southside Seminole said:

the armlock I have is a 17” and I feel the same way. Think I’m going to put the 21 on and try that. 

On 7/20/2023 at 11:29 PM, sheppick.dan said:

Super curious to hear your results. If I put well with the armlock I will splurge. Did you get yours from the outlet?

So Everyone says how important fit is, and while i didnt dismiss that, I thought I could adjust to something that maybe wasnt ideal specs.

The armlock I bought was 38” long, well short of what it should be for me. Pulled the grip last night and added an extension to make it 42.5” then put the grip back on with flat side up this time. A WORLD of difference. Actually, its a bit too long now, as it catchs on my shirt sometimes. I need to go back and trim an inch off or so and i think it will be perfect.

Rolling it, it delivers on short putts just as i had expected but what i didnt anticipate is my speed control and start line on mid range putts (15-30ft)seems much better, I guess eliminating a variable, the wrists as a power source? As far as the as the DF is concerned, it rolls great, stable and forgiving. It is VERY tricky to align, even more so with the armlock than the regular version because of all the shaft lean. It will just mess with eyes a bit but i also think and hope its just something you will get accustomed to. Bottom line, is i highly recommend getting fit in some fashion, especially correct length if you are going to try armlock. It really does make a world of a difference. 

1 hour ago, Red4282 said:

So Everyone says how important fit is, and while i didnt dismiss that, I thought I could adjust to something that maybe wasnt ideal specs.

The armlock I bought was 38” long, well short of what it should be for me. Pulled the grip last night and added an extension to make it 42.5” then put the grip back on with flat side up this time. A WORLD of difference. Actually, its a bit too long now, as it catchs on my shirt sometimes. I need to go back and trim an inch off or so and i think it will be perfect.

Rolling it, it delivers on short putts just as i had expected but what i didnt anticipate is my speed control and start line on mid range putts (15-30ft)seems much better, I guess eliminating a variable, the wrists as a power source? As far as the as the DF is concerned, it rolls great, stable and forgiving. It is VERY tricky to align, even more so with the armlock than the regular version because of all the shaft lean. It will just mess with eyes a bit but i also think and hope its just something you will get accustomed to. Bottom line, is i highly recommend getting fit in some fashion, especially correct length if you are going to try armlock. It really does make a world of a difference. 

can you take a picture looking down on the club. I’m struggling with my left wrist feeling akward and almost bowed. 

I guess I was expecting it to sit flush to my arm and wrist. Curious if it’s just me. Tomorrow will be my first time trying it. If I like it then I will find a DF somewhere to try before and then purchase and get it going. 

glad you are having success!

1 hour ago, sheppick.dan said:

can you take a picture looking down on the club. I’m struggling with my left wrist feeling akward and almost bowed. 

I guess I was expecting it to sit flush to my arm and wrist. Curious if it’s just me. Tomorrow will be my first time trying it. If I like it then I will find a DF somewhere to try before and then purchase and get it going. 

glad you are having success!

You’ll feel that. Even more so if you’re really trying to get it to “lock”. You should get used to it & you’ll prob use less grip pressure. But I can sometimes still feel the putter come off my forearm on a bad stroke. That’s why I tried the grip installed in a regular fashion. My thoughts are that it doesn’t need to be flat against the forearm necessarily, but better being as comfortable as possible. 

In my opinion, like I mentioned above, that’s where the 21” grip has the advantage. It’s almost counterintuitive but with the thinner/longer grip it’s actually easier to setup & “lock in”. Plus I don’t really need to focus on getting the exact grip point every time because of the added real estate. It’s way more feel determined on a putt to putt basis, which is nice. 

8 minutes ago, Southside Seminole said:

You’ll feel that. Even more so if you’re really trying to get it to “lock”. You should get used to it & you’ll prob use less grip pressure. But I can sometimes still feel the putter come off my forearm on a bad stroke. That’s why I tried the grip installed in a regular fashion. My thoughts are that it doesn’t need to be flat against the forearm necessarily, but better being as comfortable as possible. 

In my opinion, like I mentioned above, that’s where the 21” grip has the advantage. It’s almost counterintuitive but with the thinner/longer grip it’s actually easier to setup & “lock in”. Plus I don’t really need to focus on getting the exact grip point every time because of the added real estate. It’s way more feel determined on a putt to putt basis, which is nice. 

Regular set up on the grip for the 21” or turned?

25 minutes ago, sheppick.dan said:

Regular set up on the grip for the 21” or turned?

Regular. But I also have the round jumbomax 21 on 1 of them, so there’s nothing to worry about there. That’s the grip. Align the graphics however you want. It’ll only be that grip for me going forward, great grip. It’s a little thicker than the standard belly pistol, which I like. 

• Like 1

first full round this morning. Quite impressed. 29 putts. Speed control was good. Lines were pretty good too. Have to figure out consistent set up. If I lean forward too much I close and miss left everytime and ball really jumps. 

overall I’m pleased and dropped 3-4 putts overall. Usually I’m a 32-33 putts per round. 

• Like 1

Update on my armlock experience… well I think Ive caught lightning in a bottle for once. I put in 2 hours on the putting green today, and left more confident than ever before. There are some non armlock stuff that also contributed to it but ill share it all just in case anyone else goes down a similar path. 

The last time I putted, I noticed my cut stroke was back. Lots of toe strikes. Ive never been a line on the ball guy, Ill get to that in a bit, but I always found it valuable use to help key in face to path to get that end over end roll. 

Right off the bat, I found a straight 8 footer and just spent 10-15 minutes doing the end over end thing, just purely focused on face to path. After a few speed adjustments on the first couple I started draining them like clockwork with great end over end roll.

Moved on to the clock drill. 4 positions, started at 3 footer. Make 8 in a row to move to 4 feet. Same to 5 ft. Once to five feet just make 4 in a row then to 6 feet. I did ok with this, but not “excellent”. I was not lining up with my ball line because I never do on the course. About that. The thing that always turned me off on it was id line up the ball and from behind the line it would look perfect, but when I addressed it, it looked off. Id then back off make an adjustment, and just never would get comfortable. The line just never matched what my eyes saw over the ball. And having doubt over a putt is death. 

After I finished clock drill, i moved on to lag putting and back to using a line because i wanted to make sure stroke and strike was good. Then thats when the relevation hit me. Get your line from behind the ball, trust it, and once addressed, dont even think about line or check it. Line up the putter to the ball line and just stroke it. Wow. From that point on, EVERYTHING started online, it was just a matter of speed and the read. I didnt realize how much my eyes would manipulate things over the ball. Putted probably 25 putts between 35 and 65 feet. Only three putted once. I actually MADE a 50 footer, AND a 65 footer… 😳.

The armlock stuff might seem like its taken a back seat, but it helped in all this, almost as if it helped exposed the flaws. One thing I have definitely noticed, is its going to help SO much with pressure putts. Really excited about whats hopefully to come.

49 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

Update on my armlock experience… well I think Ive caught lightning in a bottle for once. I put in 2 hours on the putting green today, and left more confident than ever before. There are some non armlock stuff that also contributed to it but ill share it all just in case anyone else goes down a similar path. 

The last time I putted, I noticed my cut stroke was back. Lots of toe strikes. Ive never been a line on the ball guy, Ill get to that in a bit, but I always found it valuable use to help key in face to path to get that end over end roll. 

Right off the bat, I found a straight 8 footer and just spent 10-15 minutes doing the end over end thing, just purely focused on face to path. After a few speed adjustments on the first couple I started draining them like clockwork with great end over end roll.

Moved on to the clock drill. 4 positions, started at 3 footer. Make 8 in a row to move to 4 feet. Same to 5 ft. Once to five feet just make 4 in a row then to 6 feet. I did ok with this, but not “excellent”. I was not lining up with my ball line because I never do on the course. About that. The thing that always turned me off on it was id line up the ball and from behind the line it would look perfect, but when I addressed it, it looked off. Id then back off make an adjustment, and just never would get comfortable. The line just never matched what my eyes saw over the ball. And having doubt over a putt is death. 

After I finished clock drill, i moved on to lag putting and back to using a line because i wanted to make sure stroke and strike was good. Then thats when the relevation hit me. Get your line from behind the ball, trust it, and once addressed, dont even think about line or check it. Line up the putter to the ball line and just stroke it. Wow. From that point on, EVERYTHING started online, it was just a matter of speed and the read. I didnt realize how much my eyes would manipulate things over the ball. Putted probably 25 putts between 35 and 65 feet. Only three putted once. I actually MADE a 50 footer, AND a 65 footer… 😳.

The armlock stuff might seem like its taken a back seat, but it helped in all this, almost as if it helped exposed the flaws. One thing I have definitely noticed, is its going to help SO much with pressure putts. Really excited about whats hopefully to come.

That’s great to hear! I spent 30 minutes on the green this week. Felt pretty good. I’m still trying to find the position for the ball that gets the proper lean into the arm and doesn’t close the face  or not enough lean and open the face. I play again Sunday so we will see. 

I will agree a huge improvement on the lag putting so far! 

I always use the line and yes I often readjust and ignore the line because I don’t believe it when I’m looking over the ball. When I trust it usually I do much better. 

what are the specs on your armlock?

2 minutes ago, sheppick.dan said:

That’s great to hear! I spent 30 minutes on the green this week. Felt pretty good. I’m still trying to find the position for the ball that gets the proper lean into the arm and doesn’t close the face  or not enough lean and open the face. I play again Sunday so we will see. 

I will agree a huge improvement on the lag putting so far! 

I always use the line and yes I often readjust and ignore the line because I don’t believe it when I’m looking over the ball. When I trust it usually I do much better. 

what are the specs on your armlock?

Thats where the DF shines in my book. You will know its in the right position because it will sit so flush to the ground.

Currently 42.5”, 69* lie, 5* shaftflean, or 7* static. Jumbomax 17 armlock with flatside up. I meant to get a pic for you today but I forgot. Ill get one soon.

1 minute ago, Red4282 said:

Thats where the DF shines in my book. You will know its in the right position because it will sit so flush to the ground.

Currently 42.5”, 69* lie, 5* shaftflean, or 7* static. Jumbomax 17 armlock with flatside up. I meant to get a pic for you today but I forgot. I’ll get one soon.

That’s awesome. I’m glad you are enjoying it and feeling the good vibes!!

I figure I’ll use this for the rest of the summer. If I still feel armlock is the way to go I’ll find somewhere to try a df and make the switch if I like it (from the sounds of everyone, I’ll have even better success than with my current one I got to try)

Two weeks ago, I converted the 33" Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 (2023) to 40" with a 3.0-17 Superstroke grip and see if I like it longer than 33" because 35" never really does well for me. I did not expect that I would like the armlock method. I believe my putter is set at 70 lie and 3.5 loft. At least 5 deg loft is standard for an armlock setup, right?

11.5 BRNR Copper & 13.5 BRNR | 19* G430 3H | 22* G430 4H
NL 480-TC 5-PW | MG4 TW 56* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5
| Pro V1