Arm Lock Putters

sheppick.dan

I am looking at getting an arm lock putter. Was hoping to get some first hand opinions for the members who have used or are currently using one.

how long did it take to get used to?

did you feel like you got better at putting?

would love to hear your pros and cons of an armlock from the ones that have tried it! 

I have been using an arm lock putter for a couple years now and have had a lot of success.  I would add this though, getting the fit dialed in is much more important than with a traditional setup.  Loft, lie angle, and length will vary radically from person to person with an arm lock setup. Don't be afraid to tinker with it and don't be surprised if you buy a putter and it feels super unnatural. 

9 hours ago, Ephemerlol said:

I have been using an arm lock putter for a couple years now and have had a lot of success.  I would add this though, getting the fit dialed in is much more important than with a traditional setup.  Loft, lie angle, and length will vary radically from person to person with an arm lock setup. Don't be afraid to tinker with it and don't be surprised if you buy a putter and it feels super unnatural. 

Thanks for the advice. I thought there would be more armlock guys on here. Guess not. 

18 hours ago, sheppick.dan said:

I am looking at getting an arm lock putter. Was hoping to get some first hand opinions for the members who have used or are currently using one.

how long did it take to get used to?

did you feel like you got better at putting?

would love to hear your pros and cons of an armlock from the ones that have tried it! 

The biggest thing is to adjust the lie angle to much more upright than what a lot of these stock armlocks come at. My recommendation would be 76*-78*. I don't understand how anyone can even use one at 72*, it defeats the whole purpose and feels terribly uncomfortable (IMO). I built a homemade Spider Tour Plumbers Neck armlock that has a head weight of 390 grams and loft/lie of 7*/77*. I've got it built at 40" right now but think I'm going to make it longer. I go back and forth between armlock and conventional right. Armlock is a huge advantage for me inside of roughly 12-15 feet, and almost automatic from 5 feet and in. But I still struggle mightily with speed control on longer length putts. The one thing that armlock does for me is it help eliminate the pulls. Nothing gets my anger sharks swimming like pulling a putt. So if I get in a slump of doing that, I go back to armlock. But always ultimately go back to conventional due to the speed issues and just the hassle of having to press the putter forward, etc. 

Edited by coreyhr

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Ventus TR Blue 6s

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 17° | Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway XR Pro 20° | Tour AD DI 95x
Maltby TS1 IM 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120s Black 

L.A.B. DF 3 Counterbalance 37.5" | TPT Putter Shaft 

I have gone back and forth between arm lock and conventional putting the last few years.  I am a much better putter 20 feet and in with the arm lock.  With anything further out, I tend to struggle with distance control…

Right now I’m trying the Keegan Bradley style, left hand low with a wrist lock grip.  Liking it so far.

49 minutes ago, sheppick.dan said:

What’s the second putter in from the left?

thanks everyone for their replies. I will try this out. My biggest issue is getting the ball online to start. Usually have pretty good feel distance wise. 

It’s a tour version Sik pro-c armlock with the c2l-580 shaft. I’ve only ever seen 2 hit eBay & I was able to snag it last year. Sik made them available to order at 1 point with the fat hosel/shafts, but LAGP has since stopped doing that. 

Armlock will deff help you get it started on your line. Distance also isn’t a worry for me either, if anything it’s better with armlock. I’ll never go back to a conventional putter. Armlock is so stable, it’s crazy. Add in a LAB balanced putter & it’s stupid accurate.

I’m 6 feet tall & I’ve found through various testing that I like something around 40-42” length & 75-79 lie angle.

I think I’ve had about 15 different ones over the years. Started with a Kuch betti back in the day & I was hooked. Then I got on the Bryson train & never got off.  I’ve also found I like the “thinner” & longer armlock grips tho. I tried (and still have 1 of) the 17” jumbomax’s but don’t like them as much. It makes it feel like I’m gripping so far down that my hand is almost off the grip all together. 

I will say I’ll don’t see myself getting away from a LAB putter anytime soon. 

I often wonder what I would do if they outlawed this style of putting. I’d deff be lost like Keegan was without his belly putter.

2 hours ago, Southside Seminole said:

It’s a tour version Sik pro-c armlock with the c2l-580 shaft. I’ve only ever seen 2 hit eBay & I was able to snag it last year. Sik made them available to order at 1 point with the fat hosel/shafts, but LAGP has since stopped doing that. 

Armlock will deff help you get it started on your line. Distance also isn’t a worry for me either, if anything it’s better with armlock. I’ll never go back to a conventional putter. Armlock is so stable, it’s crazy. Add in a LAB balanced putter & it’s stupid accurate.

I’m 6 feet tall & I’ve found through various testing that I like something around 40-42” length & 75-79 lie angle.

I think I’ve had about 15 different ones over the years. Started with a Kuch betti back in the day & I was hooked. Then I got on the Bryson train & never got off.  I’ve also found I like the “thinner” & longer armlock grips tho. I tried (and still have 1 of) the 17” jumbomax’s but don’t like them as much. It makes it feel like I’m gripping so far down that my hand is almost off the grip all together. 

I will say I’ll don’t see myself getting away from a LAB putter anytime soon. 

I often wonder what I would do if they outlawed this style of putting. I’d deff be lost like Keegan was without his belly putter.

so the LAB putters are worth it in your opinion then? I’ve been researching them just haven’t pulled the trigger. Too many thoughts going through my mind on equipment lately. I was hoping they did fittings at their eugene facility and I could make it a day trip and visit customers but no luck yet. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sheppick.dan said:

so the LAB putters are worth it in your opinion then? I’ve been researching them just haven’t pulled the trigger. Too many thoughts going through my mind on equipment lately. I was hoping they did fittings at their eugene facility and I could make it a day trip and visit customers but no luck yet. 

Yes. I picked up that DF2.1 as a joke, just because it was armlock @ my local PGATSS. I went 4/5 from 20 feet. Now I’m not dumb & thats lighting fast turf greens & probably funneled, but still. If you start it where you want it, it stays. Armlock makes it stable & LAB keeps it balanced, together it doesn’t want to move off your line. Choose the correct line & bingo. I will say that the DF2.1 is the ugliest putter I’ve ever seen & I grabbed it as a joke because it’s sat on the rack for months, I always walked right by it. If it wasn’t an armlock version I never would’ve picked it up. It’s probably the best putter I’ve ever rolled & idc what it looks like nowadays, which seems to be a common theme among LAB/DF owners. The employee started talking to me & I asked him ‘did you just see that?’ He said yea. So it came home with me. 

Moral of the story: all the tech added together works in harmony. It’s point & shoot & wants to stay on the line you send it on. 

On 6/30/2023 at 4:24 PM, coreyhr said:

The biggest thing is to adjust the lie angle to much more upright than what a lot of these stock armlocks come at. My recommendation would be 76*-78*. I don't understand how anyone can even use one at 72*, it defeats the whole purpose and feels terribly uncomfortable (IMO). I built a homemade Spider Tour Plumbers Neck armlock that has a head weight of 390 grams and loft/lie of 7*/77*. I've got it built at 40" right now but think I'm going to make it longer. I go back and forth between armlock and conventional right. Armlock is a huge advantage for me inside of roughly 12-15 feet, and almost automatic from 5 feet and in. But I still struggle mightily with speed control on longer length putts. The one thing that armlock does for me is it help eliminate the pulls. Nothing gets my anger sharks swimming like pulling a putt. So if I get in a slump of doing that, I go back to armlock. But always ultimately go back to conventional due to the speed issues and just the hassle of having to press the putter forward, etc. 

My Armlock putters are 73* for the lie and 45" long.  A conventional length putter for me is 69* at 34" so what feels crazy flat to you is plenty upright for other people with a different build and setup.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Southside Seminole said:

Yes. I picked up that DF2.1 as a joke, just because it was armlock @ my local PGATSS. I went 4/5 from 20 feet. Now I’m not dumb & thats lighting fast turf greens & probably funneled, but still. If you start it where you want it, it stays. Armlock makes it stable & LAB keeps it balanced, together it doesn’t want to move off your line. Choose the correct line & bingo. I will say that the DF2.1 is the ugliest putter I’ve ever seen & I grabbed it as a joke because it’s sat on the rack for months, I always walked right by it. If it wasn’t an armlock version I never would’ve picked it up. It’s probably the best putter I’ve ever rolled & idc what it looks like nowadays, which seems to be a common theme among LAB/DF owners. The employee started talking to me & I asked him ‘did you just see that?’ He said yea. So it came home with me. 

Moral of the story: all the tech added together works in harmony. It’s point & shoot & wants to stay on the line you send it on. 

same feeling with the other 2 lab putters you have or only the df?

not sure I could put with that look. 

8 hours ago, sheppick.dan said:

same feeling with the other 2 lab putters you have or only the df?

not sure I could put with that look. 

Same feels. But Mezz Max is a noticeable step down from the DF. That’s not a negative statement, It’s just that the DF is like cheating. It makes it so easy to putt & putt well. It doesn’t want to move off line. I’ve found the Mezz can still sometimes wander on my takeaway. 

I saw a leaked picture of the next LAB Mallet shape somewhere on here that looks like a new & improved DF putter, but they said it’s a couple years out. Looked good tho. 

40 minutes ago, Southside Seminole said:

Same feels. But Mezz Max is a noticeable step down from the DF. That’s not a negative statement, It’s just that the DF is like cheating. It makes it so easy to putt & putt well. It doesn’t want to move off line. I’ve found the Mezz can still sometimes wander on my takeaway. 

I saw a leaked picture of the next LAB Mallet shape somewhere on here that looks like a new & improved DF putter, but they said it’s a couple years out. Looked good tho. 

Thanks for the info. I’m goi g to reach out to the guys at LAB. They are in Eugene (1.5 hours away) max. See if I can go down there and get fitted and try this putter out. If it’s as good as you say I might be ok with it being ugly 🤣

• Like 1

On 7/2/2023 at 7:44 PM, sheppick.dan said:

Thanks for the info. I’m goi g to reach out to the guys at LAB. They are in Eugene (1.5 hours away) max. See if I can go down there and get fitted and try this putter out. If it’s as good as you say I might be ok with it being ugly 🤣

Another question…. What would you compare the feel to when hitting putts? I currently use a prov1x and have a white hot. I like a much softer feel. How would you compare the feeling of the ball off the face?

I first tried armlock about nine years ago. I was doing it Matt Kuchar style. I liked it but it was hard on my back. I went back to regular putting. However, about 1 1/2 years ago I got the Bryson putter and have tried to copy his style exactly and it is for me the easiest and most consistent way to put that I’ve ever used. I put pretty decent with it. Plus, no nerves on short ones. 

$$$$

11 minutes ago, ALIF said:

I first tried armlock about nine years ago. I was doing it Matt Kuchar style. I liked it but it was hard on my back. I went back to regular putting. However, about 1 1/2 years ago I got the Bryson putter and have tried to copy his style exactly and it is for me the easiest and most consistent way to put that I’ve ever used. I put pretty decent with it. Plus, no nerves on short ones. 

Thanks for the reply. I think I’m going to give it a shot. Now it’s a matter of do I get a LAB one or something else!

• Like 1

On 7/2/2023 at 10:06 AM, TheDominator273 said:

My Armlock putters are 73* for the lie and 45" long.  A conventional length putter for me is 69* at 34" so what feels crazy flat to you is plenty upright for other people with a different build and setup.

Your setup is closer to what Bettinardi suggests. Their standard armlock is 70 degrees lie angle and 5 degrees loft, and for length they recommend measuring to 2 inches below the crease of the lead elbow, which for me would be a 41-42 inch putter. I wonder why their armlock specs are so much closer to traditional vs other armlocks out there? I prefer the flatter set up for me. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

1 hour ago, dmeeksDC said:

Your setup is closer to what Bettinardi suggests. Their standard armlock is 70 degrees lie angle and 5 degrees loft, and for length they recommend measuring to 2 inches below the crease of the lead elbow, which for me would be a 41-42 inch putter. I wonder why their armlock specs are so much closer to traditional vs other armlocks out there? I prefer the flatter set up for me. 

I agree with the length being 2 inches below the elbow crease. To me that's where it feels the most locked in and comfortable with my left wrist.

My setup is such that if I get in an address position and have someone swap out my armlock putter for a conventional length one, there is 0 change.

• Thanks 1

Arm lock, yeah. Have been using armlock for maybe 10 years now. Took a couple years to get used to it. Finally settled on a claw/paddle style grip (after seeing Webb Simpson and Jim Furyk use it) and it worked for me. I found that when I was using a traditional grip the grip would not stay ‘locked’ against my lead arm, but with the claw, it did. Distance has not been an issue, but direction is so much better. Once you get locked in, distance is what you can focus on. Rock your shoulders and off it goes.

I am now using an Odyssey 2 Ball Ten Arm Lock, but have been through several, both modified standard and manufactured as arm lock. I recommend that you go with a putter that is manufactured as an arm lock. Don’t know about the LAB fitting, since I have found the 2 Ball to be the best for me. You will not be disappointed if you give it time.

• Like 1

How to play golf.
Hit the ball.
Find the ball
Repeat until the ball is in the hole.
Have fun.
...Chuck Hogan

2 hours ago, zonadub said:

Arm lock, yeah. Have been using armlock for maybe 10 years now. Took a couple years to get used to it. Finally settled on a claw/paddle style grip (after seeing Webb Simpson and Jim Furyk use it) and it worked for me. I found that when I was using a traditional grip the grip would not stay ‘locked’ against my lead arm, but with the claw, it did. Distance has not been an issue, but direction is so much better. Once you get locked in, distance is what you can focus on. Rock your shoulders and off it goes.

I am now using an Odyssey 2 Ball Ten Arm Lock, but have been through several, both modified standard and manufactured as arm lock. I recommend that you go with a putter that is manufactured as an arm lock. Don’t know about the LAB fitting, since I have found the 2 Ball to be the best for me. You will not be disappointed if you give it time.

thanks for the feedback. I looked at the 2ball. I currently play the eleven tour lines but it is the same head as 2 ball. I looked at a Taylor made one in blade style as well. I’ve just never tried the taylormade inserts. 

On 7/3/2023 at 8:08 PM, sheppick.dan said:

Another question…. What would you compare the feel to when hitting putts? I currently use a prov1x and have a white hot. I like a much softer feel. How would you compare the feeling of the ball off the face?

I use a LAB DF 2.1 armlock.  The feel in the sweet spot is fine, but that's probably related to the shaft in mine more than anything - ACCURA graphite.  The putter reminds you that it's aluminum if you hit out of the middle by producing a bit of a "ting" sound, but the resulting putt is indistinguishable from a put hit in the middle.  I came from an Odyssey 2-ball TEN, and I'd judge the feel of that 2-ball to be slightly softer (more muted) than the DF on center strikes.  It's not so different that I ever think about it, however.  It's way more exciting to watch the ball roll towards the hole...

The teaching pro at our club is a friend of the CEO of LAB Golf, so he set up a time for my wife and I to visit and get fit on the practice green at Emerald Valley.  The fitting took probably 30 minutes, and we were able to play Emerald Valley and give the putters a try.  Afterwards, we were able to test out all the different shafts/grips they offer.  I don't know if in person fittings are a general offering, but if you set it up in advance, I'd think it would be fine.  I recall that they were setting up an indoor putting studio for this purpose, but who knows what progress has been made - we were there in March.  We are both very happy with the fittings and the putters.

One thing about the armlock putter: give it time.  Putting will look and feel a little different, and it might not work so well for you right out of the box.  Once you settle in and adjust, however, gold...

1 hour ago, Bumbershoot said:

I use a LAB DF 2.1 armlock.  The feel in the sweet spot is fine, but that's probably related to the shaft in mine more than anything - ACCURA graphite.  The putter reminds you that it's aluminum if you hit out of the middle by producing a bit of a "ting" sound, but the resulting putt is indistinguishable from a put hit in the middle.  I came from an Odyssey 2-ball TEN, and I'd judge the feel of that 2-ball to be slightly softer (more muted) than the DF on center strikes.  It's not so different that I ever think about it, however.  It's way more exciting to watch the ball roll towards the hole...

The teaching pro at our club is a friend of the CEO of LAB Golf, so he set up a time for my wife and I to visit and get fit on the practice green at Emerald Valley.  The fitting took probably 30 minutes, and we were able to play Emerald Valley and give the putters a try.  Afterwards, we were able to test out all the different shafts/grips they offer.  I don't know if in person fittings are a general offering, but if you set it up in advance, I'd think it would be fine.  I recall that they were setting up an indoor putting studio for this purpose, but who knows what progress has been made - we were there in March.  We are both very happy with the fittings and the putters.

One thing about the armlock putter: give it time.  Putting will look and feel a little different, and it might not work so well for you right out of the box.  Once you settle in and adjust, however, gold...

thanks for the information, it’s very much appreciated. I haven’t heard back about an in person fitting. My guess is that’s because they don’t do it. I reached out to Sam on here but no response yet. 

glad you enjoy the putter!

I'll add I tried it for a while before I went side saddle.  Personally, it felt so insanely awkward I could never get used to it.  I used the Kuch one so it was made for the style, but boy I just never felt comfortable with it at all, then went side saddle and it felt natural and I just said "don't fight it". 

• Like 1
TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

Man this thread makes me want to order a DF 2.1 armlock! Questions. Do you lock the left elbow like bryson, or have some bend in it? Advantage or disadvantage? Im assuming this is where the lie angle differences are occurring discussed above. Second, has anyone done the armlock fitting video from LAB and if so how accurate was it? Third, Lag putting seems to be a concern, anyone figure out any hacks to help? Heck If i have to putt it like a normal putter on a super long putt, i will do it…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Red4282 said:

Man this thread makes me want to order a DF 2.1 armlock! Questions. Do you lock the left elbow like bryson, or have some bend in it? Advantage or disadvantage? Im assuming this is where the lie angle differences are occurring discussed above. Second, has anyone done the armlock fitting video from LAB and if so how accurate was it? Third, Lag putting seems to be a concern, anyone figure out any hacks to help? Heck If i have to putt it like a normal putter on a super long putt, i will do it…

I will probably do a video fitting this week and order one.