2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Driver experiment

tigercolt77

So, I'm trying something new with the driver in hopes for more consistency. I play a fade, when I'm on its a 10-15 yard fade that will never go left. I chose to go this route after struggling with a two way miss. I'm not a long hitter but can get it out over 270 at times. What I need is the ball in play so I can score better. Driving is generally what keeps me from scoring well. I've played a TSR3 with success and my miss is face path related not missing the sweet spot. So, like Nelly I'm putting a Stealth 2 HD in play. I'm going with a lower launch and spin shaft. I know it's possible I'll lose some distance but I'd rather be 255 down the middle than 270+ all over the planet. Has anyone else tried a draw bias forgiving head with a lower spin shaft?

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 Tensei 1k white
Callaway GBB Denali black 

Callaway UW Denali blue 

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Tour AD DI
Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW PX IO
Titleist SM9 52f, 58m PX LZ

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

I had a SIM MAX a few years back with a Ventus Black.  Worked great but I got the itch to upgrade eventually.  I'm now gaming the Paradym TD which is neutral to slightly fade bias as I prefer those over a draw biased head these days.  My miss is the duck hook with driver. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

18 minutes ago, Troc said:

I just got a sim2 max D driver and I put in a ventus blue 5r velecore shaft.It is really good,It is so accurate and I’m hitting baby draws and I could never draw the ball previously with my old m5 driver

That's what I'm chasing 

Callaway UW Denali blue 

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

If you want a fade get a sim or sim max. I found my sim max impossible to turn over. If you want to hit fairways I recommend a g430 max or tsr2. They were streets ahead of everything else for dispersion when I got fit and I tried them all.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour 
Titleist ts3 21 Hzrdus Smoke
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Titleist Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport Two
Titleist pro v1x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

Have you checked the strike location on your current driver?

It sounds like you are hitting the ball with heel of the driver...

Try this, take your normal grip but just about 1" lower than normal.

Also check that you won't leave the face open, remember that the lower hand controls the face

TSR3 has about 45,5" or 46" shaft, so 1" off of that and you don't lose yardage but gain a lot of more control 

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TS3 w/ Project X Hzrdus Black Smoke 5.5

4 Wood: Titleist TS2 w/ Project X Hzrdus Black Smoke 5.5 16.5*

Irons: Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: Cleveland RTX-4 50*, 55* & 60*

Putter: Evnroll ER8

5 hours ago, philly2kuk said:

If you want a fade get a sim or sim max. I found my sim max impossible to turn over. If you want to hit fairways I recommend a g430 max or tsr2. They were streets ahead of everything else for dispersion when I got fit and I tried them all.

That's weird.  SIM MAX was really easy to turnover for me.  A little too easy at times..........

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

1 hour ago, GolfFinn said:

Have you checked the strike location on your current driver?

It sounds like you are hitting the ball with heel of the driver...

Try this, take your normal grip but just about 1" lower than normal.

Also check that you won't leave the face open, remember that the lower hand controls the face

TSR3 has about 45,5" or 46" shaft, so 1" off of that and you don't lose yardage but gain a lot of more control 

Yes, strike pattern is fine. I play my driver at 45 inches. For me it's always face path, leaving it open.

Callaway UW Denali blue 

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

21 hours ago, tigercolt77 said:

So, I'm trying something new with the driver in hopes for more consistency. I play a fade, when I'm on its a 10-15 yard fade that will never go left. I chose to go this route after struggling with a two way miss. I'm not a long hitter but can get it out over 270 at times. What I need is the ball in play so I can score better. Driving is generally what keeps me from scoring well. I've played a TSR3 with success and my miss is face path related not missing the sweet spot. So, like Nelly I'm putting a Stealth 2 HD in play. I'm going with a lower launch and spin shaft. I know it's possible I'll lose some distance but I'd rather be 255 down the middle than 270+ all over the planet. Has anyone else tried a draw bias forgiving head with a lower spin shaft?

Why not just loftnup the tsr3 and then move the rear weight toward the toe side?

Just now, getitdaily said:

Why not just loftnup the tsr3 and then move the rear weight toward the toe side?

Hitting it higher and adding spin would be a problem as I already hit it high a 9 degrees and spin my driver enough. 

Callaway UW Denali blue 

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

Fyi - Nelly just put her Tsi1 back in play then shot a 64 in a major.

For me after trying many drivers, my Cobra LTDx LS has beaten all challengers recently.  I find that unlike the TSR3, the LTDx LS has movable weights close to the face instead of  the rear of the head which makes it more responsive than the TSR3 (for me).  The key for this club head is finding the correct shaft to augment this. Just my 2 cents.

Clubs: King Cobra 454 Comp 9* / Cobra LTDx Max 3 Wood / Srixon ZX4 Irons 4-P / Titleist Wedges - S Grind / SeeMore M7x   Note: Views expressed are my opinions based on my experiences playing golf.  I reserve the right to change my opinions - without notice. 

On 8/1/2023 at 9:58 PM, lambo428 said:

Fyi - Nelly just put her Tsi1 back in play then shot a 64 in a major.

For me after trying many drivers, my Cobra LTDx LS has beaten all challengers recently.  I find that unlike the TSR3, the LTDx LS has movable weights close to the face instead of  the rear of the head which makes it more responsive than the TSR3 (for me).  The key for this club head is finding the correct shaft to augment this. Just my 2 cents.

Which shafts have you been using to help. I'm dabbling with everything on this LTDXls, think it's a great driver.

On the equipment side, I find it helpful to get a 120FPS (even 240) video that I can slow down and freeze at impact. I did this to help identify a dispersion issue.

My 5.5 R+ Riptide was kicking excessively and so I eventuality went up in flex. My dispersion is now improved. I've not done anything to the head to fix the problem (in spite of trying to convince myself that I needed to... lol).

The shaft is a very important part of the equation here. Your hands channel energy into the shaft, which stores it until released. If the shaft kicks too much, for example, dispersion will suffer regardless of what head is installed.

It's like having great data (club head), but an idiot making the decisions (a mismatched shaft)......

Pair good data with a smarter person... and the "decisions" (shots) are likely get better.

That said,  I'd at least check to see if my grip is strong enough to square it before shelling out dollars that could be better spent on OTHER golf stuff... 😄

Edited by Mikey_HACKilroy

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Dynamic Gold 105 X100

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

On 7/27/2023 at 9:22 AM, tigercolt77 said:

Just my experience 

heavier shaft if you use normally 60g , go 70g , a little shorter , heavier head weight 

too heavy it will get stuck and most likely push shots all day with a random throw from the top to the left 

a little additional mass and shorter length , might put you in the fairway more , and the only noticeable loss is the occasional outlier bomb off the tee.

good luck 

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

6 minutes ago, drbonesvt said:

Just my experience 

heavier shaft if you use normally 60g , go 70g , a little shorter , heavier head weight 

too heavy it will get stuck and most likely push shots all day with a random throw from the top to the left 

a little additional mass and shorter length , might put you in the fairway more , and the only noticeable loss is the occasional outlier bomb off the tee.

good luck 

I've been at 45 inches or shorter with a 70 gram shaft for a while now. The HD head seems to have helped but I'm working on my swing which is frustrating but will hopefully pay off.

Callaway UW Denali blue 

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

Like the OP, my driver is what holds back my rounds quite often... I can hit the club a damn long way but my misses tend to leave the planet. 

I had been playing a King F9 with a Fuji pro tour spec 7x shaft - problem was that my miss is a pull hook, runs for days. 

Went to a fitter and told him that I never want to see the ball go left again. He put me in a newer Cobra LS, dropped the loft to 9.0 and put a Ventus black TR 7x in - Its been interesting so far as I was not used to a true 9.0 loft (I had turned my 10.5 down -1) but I can control the peak height a bit better now with how high I tee the ball up when before my ball was approaching the stratosphere. 

Just now, kb2313 said:

Like the OP, my driver is what holds back my rounds quite often... I can hit the club a damn long way but my misses tend to leave the planet. 

I had been playing a King F9 with a Fuji pro tour spec 7x shaft - problem was that my miss is a pull hook, runs for days. 

Went to a fitter and told him that I never want to see the ball go left again. He put me in a newer Cobra LS, dropped the loft to 9.0 and put a Ventus black TR 7x in - Its been interesting so far as I was not used to a true 9.0 loft (I had turned my 10.5 down -1) but I can control the peak height a bit better now with how high I tee the ball up when before my ball was approaching the stratosphere. 

My miss is the hook as well and I have the TR black 7x.  Lower peak height/apex and more stable/anti-left for me. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, deepbore said:

Big fan of the stealth 2 have it paired with an ascent 40 gram shaft  and its been giving me the best results as far as distance and dispersion.  Think the stealth 2 hd maybe a very good choice for you.

Interesting combo. Whats your SS, AoA and spin? And what loft head?

I went back to Sim2 w/ Oban from Stealth w/ stock Ventus S. 
Hit the Stealth good but I like the black face of the Sim2 because I can see where I’m hitting. 

7 hours ago, Malc said:

Which shafts have you been using to help. I'm dabbling with everything on this LTDXls, think it's a great driver.

Hello Malc - I'm currently using the Helium 5 stiff sometimes the Motore F3 regular

Clubs: King Cobra 454 Comp 9* / Cobra LTDx Max 3 Wood / Srixon ZX4 Irons 4-P / Titleist Wedges - S Grind / SeeMore M7x   Note: Views expressed are my opinions based on my experiences playing golf.  I reserve the right to change my opinions - without notice. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/8/2023 at 7:38 AM, brutus27 said:

Interesting combo. Whats your SS, AoA and spin? And what loft head?

I went back to Sim2 w/ Oban from Stealth w/ stock Ventus S. 
Hit the Stealth good but I like the black face of the Sim2 because I can see where I’m hitting. 

ss90 aoa not sure think pretty level spin 2500 use a 9 degree head.short knocker best hits 240