2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Old Ping Putters

A few years ago, I felt obliged to grab an Anser 3 for some reason.  I had never owned a Ping MgBr putter, only stainless, and had the urge to grab one.

I haven't used it much, tend to prefer heavier putters, but have been thinking of taking it on the course.  Especially for retro rounds, which could become more prevalent in the near future.

Non-Ping comment...  I also picked up a Maxfli TM-2 for this same reason.  Just HAD TO own a TM-2...

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Just now, butchammon said:

"Old school" Ping putters are all over eBay for next to nothing.  Some have been "restored" and demand $$$ 🙄 but most are just somebody's dad's old Anser that has been sitting in a closet for 30-40 years.

You're not wrong. Browsing "ping putter" in the 'Bay is like being a kid in a candy shop. 

• Like 2

TE C722 - Maltby TS3 - Maltby TSW - Wilson Windy City

5 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

A few years ago, I felt obliged to grab an Anser 3 for some reason.  I had never owned a Ping MgBr putter, only stainless, and had the urge to grab one.

I haven't used it much, tend to prefer heavier putters, but have been thinking of taking it on the course.  Especially for retro rounds, which could become more prevalent in the near future.

Non-Ping comment...  I also picked up a Maxfli TM-2 for this same reason.  Just HAD TO own a TM-2...

That's the thing with old school Pings.  With a bit of sleuthing around, you can pick one up dirt cheap.  Don't think I've paid more than 5 bucks for an Anser, A2, A3, A4.  Same for Pals.  The Be metals carry a premium obviously.  On my A3, poured 30g of tungsten powder down the shaft (corked) to weight it. Then some additional strips (1" = 1g) on the sole after some putting around.  Seemed to work OK, but I'm more of a mallet wielder.  Have a BeCu A2 when of the mind to flash an OSP putter.  And Maxfli TM's are always a must buy whenever I run across run on the cheap.   

Edited by Fellaheen51
  • Like 2

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

On 7/31/2023 at 1:08 PM, butchammon said:

I have "a one from each decade" type of collection. 😎

My.Putter.Collection.jpg

The guy you bought the b60 had over 22 putters?  I’m sure many on this site have way more than that in their collections.  I’m likely at 125-150 (half or more are pings) and am not going to count them lol

Edited by golfunderpar18
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

yeah im just looking at FB marketplace and such looking for Pings I dont have to pay shipping on. All sorts of stuff $30 or under. 

• Like 1

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Long Irons: Ping Zings 2 Iron, 3 Iron 

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 or Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW or Hogan Redline's 1988 4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  , 80s Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  60s Wilson Sandy Andy

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

Ball: Yellow Srixon Q Stars

The Zing 5 was delivered yesterday and it's in really great condition. I think I just need to take a toothbrush to the cavity. Just rolling it around my living room, I really love it. Feels better off the face than my Pal 2 and the quirky looks just make it all the better. Any other recommendations for weird looking Ping putters?

PXL_20230804_1728194562.jpg.1447c68b295a25a6cef95f02de8f102d.jpg

• Like 4

Nice I put an extender on a Zing (1) last night, waiting for the grip to come. Im getting it up to 36 inches 

• Like 1

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 or Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW or Hogan Redline's 1988 4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  , 80s Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  60s Wilson Sandy Andy

10 hours ago, ApostateDrive said:

The Zing 5 was delivered yesterday and it's in really great condition. I think I just need to take a toothbrush to the cavity. Just rolling it around my living room, I really love it. Feels better off the face than my Pal 2 and the quirky looks just make it all the better. Any other recommendations for weird looking Ping putters?

PXL_20230804_1728194562.jpg.1447c68b295a25a6cef95f02de8f102d.jpg

Weird or Fugly?  Off the top of my head:  Auld, My Echo, 'Udranium' Doc 15 & 17, Sydney (not sufficiently classic?).   

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

image.png.8453aeb005afccecc55a347459df3521.png

I got this Karstain blade at 36 inches. If anyone wants to trade , DM me. Looking for all sorts of things like Pal 2, Zing 2 or other pre 90ish Pings. 

5 hours ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Weird or Fugly?  Off the top of my head:  Auld, My Echo, 'Udranium' Doc 15 & 17, Sydney (not sufficiently classic?).   

Auld - Definitely funky. Seeing as I prefer the shaft to be closer to center shafted than heel shafted, I don't think I could play it. 

My Echo - Another real funky one. The increased face height in the cavity is fugly!

Doc 15 & 17 - I've seen these before and they look like half of a hubcap. So quirky!

Sydney - Looks more like an arachnid than the TaylorMade Spider, that's for sure. Kinda reminds me of the Spyderco logo.

Thanks for the recs! It was fun to see those.

• 4 weeks later...

Just added some lead tape to the cavity of my Pal , should help the feel I think

• Like 1

image.png.4fbe700531d5d8d43268cef74e997330.png

Its so much better with tape, ive been making putts with it. 

Questions for those in the know on this early-ish Anser putter.
IMG_1916.jpeg.9b764b3a66ebba069bc245d1bcf0b1fd.jpegIMG_1783.jpeg.2b72c86558ea21ad40be9dd934b591c8.jpeg

IMG_1781.jpeg.a3a29599759cf36971f14f0e106051a4.jpeg

Thanks go out to Golfunderpar for this

next picture from another post 

IMG_1917.jpeg.11bd30fc9a82025719c548ca73cefd16.jpeg

I’ll also add to this I’ve been told this shaft label was used 69-76. So does all this mean this putter is 1969-1973?? The putter is in extremely good condition but it’s 31 inches long. I’m told it isn’t a putter of value so it’s not an issue to scrap the original grip and extend it. I generally don’t worry about the value thing but want to make sure. If it was 2 inches longer I would just throw a tennis/baseball grip wrap on it just to keep the only original once aspect of it. 

Question#2 

Can someone please share a picture of a Dale head Anser

Question#3

The whole zip code dating thing is foggy. I haven’t read a ton but I have seen it said it’s the most indicative of production date on Anser’s but not necessarily on other models.

I have a ZING putter with either 85020 or 029, can’t remember, on head and the usual silver 85068 shaft label. Yeah it could have been reshafted at some point but I’ve seen the same thing on other ZING’s at 2nd Swing in their vault area. Guessing this could be the same on other models. The limited run models are well labeled but wasn’t there other reproduction’s of various models through the years? 

Edited by ezgoer
  • Like 1

@ezgoer followed you from that other posting...I'll repeat what Odel Trueblood told me. He was merely speaking to earlier models having zipcodes on the bottom & later model/reissues have a zipcode to the side. He wasn't attempting to put a date on manufacturing on any of them - just, as the "029" zip codes shows up in two places, so a models w/a "029" zip on the bottom of the address indicated (to Odell) that it was made prior to a model w/a "029" sip on the side of the address. That is all I meant.....btw, of the ping putters I have only two have zips on the side - Ping Kushin's & the 85029 is off to the side

Your label kinda sorta looks like one that is w/a putter I have, there are only two other labels I've seen - one w/the Ping player in red & one in black. Is that what those others were talking about?

Also I didn't understand anything about what was meant by "trademark" indicating age....out of 19 Ping putters I have, all but one have that wee "r" trademark thingy on the Ping name & model name. The exception is a Zero4, which is marked "pat.pend."

Edited by bcstones
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, bcstones said:

@ezgoer followed you from that other posting...I'll repeat what Odel Trueblood told me. He was merely speaking to earlier models having zipcodes on the bottom & later model/reissues have a zipcode to the side. He wasn't attempting to put a date on manufacturing on any of them - just, as the "029" zip codes shows up in two places, so a models w/a "029" zip on the bottom of the address indicated (to Odell) that it was made prior to a model w/a "029" sip on the side of the address. That is all I meant.....btw, of the ping putters I have only two have zips on the side - Ping Kushin's & the 85029 is off to the side

Your label kinda sorta looks like one that is w/a putter I have, there are only two other labels I've seen - one w/the Ping player in red & one in black. Is that what those others were talking about?

Also I didn't understand anything about what was meant by "trademark" indicating age....out of 19 Ping putters I have, all but one have that wee "r" trademark thingy on the Ping name & model name. The exception is a Zero4, which is marked "pat.pend."

Thanks, I will now start noticing the zip locations. I have yet to look at trademarks. I also only know the 2 shaft labels due to the base color being black and I think there’s more info on it but perhaps smaller script. 

36 minutes ago, bcstones said:

The trademark symbol on a Ping putter tells you it's not from the 60s since the symbol started being applied in 1970. Zip dates aren't a for sure way of dating old Pings either. You'll find many an old Ping with 85029 in the cavity and 85068 on the shaft band. Old Pings can be as confusing as nuclear fission. Karsten was an engineer, I've never met an engineer that kept things as simple as possible.😄 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sheepdawg said:

The trademark symbol on a Ping putter tells you it's not from the 60s since the symbol started being applied in 1970. Zip dates aren't a for sure way of dating old Pings either. You'll find many an old Ping with 85029 in the cavity and 85068 on the shaft band. Old Pings can be as confusing as nuclear fission. Karsten was an engineer, I've never met an engineer that kept things as simple as possible.😄 

Luckily for us Karsten didn’t seem to believe in the now modern “planned obsolescence” design theory 

Edited by ezgoer
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, sheepdawg said:

What is the "trademark' symbol?

15 hours ago, ezgoer said:

IMG_1916.jpeg.9b764b3a66ebba069bc245d1bcf0b1fd.jpegIMG_1783.jpeg.2b72c86558ea21ad40be9dd934b591c8.jpeg

I’ll also add to this I’ve been told this shaft label was used 69-76. So does all this mean this putter is 1969-1973?? The putter is in extremely good condition but it’s 31 inches long. I’m told it isn’t a putter of value so it’s not an issue to scrap the original grip and extend it. I generally don’t worry about the value thing but want to make sure. If it was 2 inches longer I would just throw a tennis/baseball grip wrap on it just to keep the only original once aspect of it. 

Question#2 

Question#3

The whole zip code dating thing is foggy. I haven’t read a ton but I have seen it said it’s the most indicative of production date on Anser’s but not necessarily on other models.

I have a ZING putter with either 85020 or 029, can’t remember, on head and the usual silver 85068 shaft label. Yeah it could have been reshafted at some point but I’ve seen the same thing on other ZING’s at 2nd Swing in their vault area. Guessing this could be the same on other models. The limited run models are well labeled but wasn’t there other reproduction’s of various models through the years? 

1.  Yes 68-73.  Zip, original shaft band + grip help indicate that.  It’s in great condition with very little oxidation / patina being 50 ish years old 

2. Dale head vs non dale head.   Snagged from an older post here.  Highlighted the bumpers.  Daleheads have soft sloping bumpers while non dale heads are squared off.  
3.   There have also been numerous iterations of the zing line.   Yep many iterations of many other models as well.  The 1-A for example ( the “noisy” one which helped moniker the Ping name).  Many post all on eBay as rare even though they are selling a current model.  The 1-A  is pings longest nunning model and can be purchased new from ping today.  

• Like 1

On 9/7/2023 at 7:43 PM, ezgoer said:

Question#2 

Question#3

As has been said above yes, your putter was made in 69-73 - it's not very valuable as Ping made a lot of them but it is definitely a classic Anser and great for the collection in that condition.    I attach a pic of an 85029 "Dalehead" - basically these are the sloped bumpers heads which are the same shape as the Scottsdale Ansers but with Phoenix stampings, only made for a couple of years in Phoenix. 

Lastly, the zip code timeline only applies to Ansers.  Zings, Cushins. Kushins etc. were made with 82029 at various times.  And yes, lots of models were reproduced down the years, in different metals, with different paintfill etc.  The Anser is the model which had the most relaunches, e.g. the Scottsdale Anser remakes in 96 in nickel, mgbrz and becu.

Anser 85029 Orangedale (7).JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • PING G400 Max 9* Tensei Orange 60 S
  • PING Anser 17 / 20* hybrids Graphite Design 85S
  • Miura PP-9003 Straight Neck 4-PW Nippon NS Pro 750 GH wrap tech
  • Miura 52, 56 K forged wedges / PING Eye 2 LW beryllium copper
  • Nordberg Halvdan custom / PING Cushin Scottsdale zip / PING Jim Wells Zing 5KS SN / PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch 380g, etc.

I have at least 10 dalehead Ansers around here somewhere including a 67 Karsten Co. A Pat. Pend. BeCu Anser 2, a 60s 1A, a rare BeCu Cushin. a 85029 Zing and two 85029 My Days which happens to be my favorite Ping putter ever.

Used to have many more but sold them back when Pings were hot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sheepdawg said:

I have at least 10 dalehead Ansers around here somewhere including a 67 Karsten Co. A Pat. Pend. BeCu Anser 2, a 60s 1A, a rare BeCu Cushin. a 85029 Zing and two 85029 My Days which happens to be my favorite Ping putter ever.

Used to have many more but sold them back when Pings were hot.

My Days are vastly underrated ... 

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag