2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Old Ping Putters

anyone else love them? Not bashing modern stuff, but you get a lot of bang out of your buck with older Ping stuff that plays well. I'm put a superstroke on a 36 inch Pal and did well with it this AM for 9. I like the more compact look of the Pal so far. 

• Like 1

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Long Irons: Ping Zings 2 Iron, 3 Iron 

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 or Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW or Hogan Redline's 1988 4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  , 80s Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  60s Wilson Sandy Andy

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

Ball: Yellow Srixon Q Stars

31 minutes ago, golfunderpar18 said:

I have 100ish older ping putters from the 60’s thru the 90’s.    Karsten’s design is imitated by all manufacturers now.  Timeless designs.    The older manganese bronze putters are typically a super light swing weight which is the only thing I don’t like 

Question, if you can help...

these two Anser 3's, circa early 90's.

always thought the darker one is MgBr .

can't remember what the coppery one's supposed to be.

your opinion is appreciated.

0729231307.jpg

Edited by @_the_crook
pic
  • Like 2

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

1 hour ago, @_the_crook said:

0729231307.jpg

I'm biased but Ping putters are my favorite and the best imo. The two pictured, if no answered yet, are both the same material. The Anser 3 either has a stain on it or the Patina they naturally get over time. It a beautiful looking putter. Enjoy both of them. 

• Like 1

I think my goal is to finish this set out someday. I was born in 88 so its "old" ha ha ha 

Is the Zing 2 offset? what about The Zing (1)? 

image.png.e2409778efa3c43925e702dc9301fd49.png

• Like 4

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 or Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW or Hogan Redline's 1988 4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  , 80s Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  60s Wilson Sandy Andy

1 hour ago, @_the_crook said:

0729231307.jpg

They are both  manganese bronze.  One is just oxidized and has a dark patina. Ping also made putters in beryllium nickel, beryllium copper and stainless steel (natural finish or with a satin black coating) .  Not all models came in all finishes.  The anser 3 was never produced in beryllium copper.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, North Butte said:

The only putters I own are half-century old Ansers, the kind made from MgBr with the sound slot. And I have three of them, two in virtually mint condition and the only slightly dinged up.

Is that love? 🤩 Yes, I think it probably is.

The ansers have what karsten called a  “floating face”.    These are not sound slots.  Ansers didn’t make an accentuated sound.   These are always misquoted around the internet as sound slots.    The anser was a revolutionary putter and ping has made countless different tweaked versions of this legendary putter.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, golfunderpar18 said:

The ansers have what karsten called a  “floating face”.    These are not sound slots.  Ansers didn’t make an accentuated sound.   These are always misquoted around the internet as sound slots.    The anser was a revolutionary putter and ping has made countless different tweaked versions of this legendary putter.

wasn't it the Ping Model 1 & it's variations that made the "sound"...?

1 hour ago, Maine Golfer said:

I think my goal is to finish this set out someday. I was born in 88 so its "old" ha ha ha 

The Zing 2 is known as a flow neck and it does have a slight more offset than the original Zing. I have both

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

My usual putter needs to be repaired so I pulled out an old Ping Anser 2 Stainless Steel. Was 36" and cut it down to 34" and added lead tape for a total weight of 482 grams.  Working great so far but maybe I should have only cut it down to 35", easier on your back.  I also still have the first putter I bought back in the early 90's, a bronze manganese Ping Anser 3.

Edited by theothertwo

1 hour ago, Maine Golfer said:

Man I miss those yellow ads in Golf and the Digest! In the pre-net days I would spend hours pouring over back issues at night.

If I wasn't old and need a heavier head (and abhor lead tape) I'd probably still be using an original stainless Anser 2 ... or Anser 4 ... or Zing 2  ... If nobody has an old-school Ping, do yourself a favor and go over to Mortons and order one, just to play with one and be able to have one to call your own.

Edited by tatertot
  • Like 3

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

I still have two Anser putters, I bought one in 1973 while in high school and the other was my dad's and is a bit older then mine but they do hold up well. Not many clubs can say that for sure

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed TD 10.5

Callaway Steelhead XR   5 wood

Callaway GBB            20 degree hybrid

Callaway  B 21           4-PW

CBX Zipcore       48-54-58

2015 Scotty Cameron GoLo 5

Vice Pro Soft 

Golf Pride 2G white

After switching my normal gamer to an old Iron Master this year now a standard old PING feels heavy-ish to me and I usually putt pretty well with them. Seem to have really good distance control whenever I use them. I’ve also gravitated back to standard size Ping Man grip. IMG_1654.jpeg.369b247dbee92c7af95bc96bcda8b57a.jpegIMG_1655.jpeg.6b512eb75d02debf5aab1816ef11b7f0.jpeg

My Zing and my ugly beat up Cushin. Have had 2 good putting rounds with it plus I’ve made a couple sizable bombs with the Zing. The Cushin is a surprisingly solid putter whenever I’ve used it. 
IMG_1653.jpeg.30fe149fbc6eec9d27121ac629966b92.jpegIMG_1656.jpeg.a65cf820294a2ea37dc066037c4e5e46.jpeg

The ‘loud one’. Pretty different feeling than the other 2. Little more of a pop or spring off the face. Very fun putter. Makes everyone smile whenever I use it. 

Edited by ezgoer
  • Like 4

Found a local guy trying to get rid of more Ping's including a Zing, ill have pictures soon hopefully 

• Like 1

I've got a couple of Ansers, an Anser 3, a couple of Anser 2s, a MyDay and a Pal in my stash.

Currently the Pal is in the bag after taking over from the Anser 2 that's been in the bag for the last few years. I prefer a lighter putter and grew up at a time when every man and his dog was using a Ping and shooting 63s with them. The modern ball has changed their feel somewhat, but they still work well for me and tick the boxes I want in a putter. I also love the look of a nice patina when I look down at a putt.

No description available.No description available.

• Like 4

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

12 hours ago, bcstones said:

Wasn't there a II-A /or III-A?

Yes and a mod IV-A.   The head design on the I-A and 2-A were the same  rectangular shape style.   The 2-A is non Roman numeral unlike the III-A and IV-A which has mallet style heads.  The 1-A is still made new and is pings longest running retail production model.  

Edited by golfunderpar18
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ezgoer said:

After switching my normal gamer to an old Iron Master this year now a standard old PING feels heavy-ish to me and I usually putt pretty well with them. Seem to have really good distance control whenever I use them. I’ve also gravitated back to standard size Ping Man grip. IMG_1654.jpeg.369b247dbee92c7af95bc96bcda8b57a.jpegIMG_1655.jpeg.6b512eb75d02debf5aab1816ef11b7f0.jpeg

My Zing and my ugly beat up Cushin. Have had 2 good putting rounds with it plus I’ve made a couple sizable bombs with the Zing. The Cushin is a surprisingly solid putter whenever I’ve used it. 
IMG_1653.jpeg.30fe149fbc6eec9d27121ac629966b92.jpegIMG_1656.jpeg.a65cf820294a2ea37dc066037c4e5e46.jpeg

The ‘loud one’. Pretty different feeling than the other 2. Little more of a pop or spring off the face. Very fun putter. Makes everyone smile whenever I use it. 

That’s an earlier Phoenix model 1A (no hyphen and the 1A is in smaller font.)  Looks like a beauty - nice clean dark patina  and in great shape.     The 1A Started in Redwood City them scottsdale and now Phoenix.   A hyphen was added in newer Phoenix models after the earlier runs. It’s now called a 1-A.

Edited by golfunderpar18
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I want to live in a world every golfer in the world can shoot 62s with Ping Pals again 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Maine Golfer said:

I want to live in a world every golfer in the world can shoot 62s with Ping Pals again 🤣

Hilarious....I have 14 Ping putters that will be up for sale, including a Ping Pal. I just don't have a thing for Ping putters except for the Doc 17, somehow over the years these ended up in my putter cache:
2 Kushin '029, AYD '020, RITE IN '020, RITE IN5 '029, Y Blade '029, PAL '020, N-ECHO '029, B-62 '068 (butterfly...butt to me), JB-5 '068 w/the Dominion logo on sole, Pal 2 '068, Zing '020, Karsten3 '029, & a Doc 15. 

All zipcodes are on the bottom of the info, except for the Doc 15....reason I say that is that Odel, my Pro friend, told me that some putters were remade & those zip codes were on the right side of the info. He wrote it out, as well as the zipcodes for others & I've lost that piece of paper since my move 4+years ago. I think he was refering to the fact that the zips on the right were made when the address changed again.

also have 3 MacGregor Response putters; a pat pend 615, a pat pend 640 & a black 615 20th Muirfield w/pat #

I'm keeping back 4 Ping putters that interest me, for some reason: Ball-Matic B67 '029, Ping Zero 4 '020, Anser '020, Anser w/I think a '029 (hard to read but it's either a '029 or '022 (which doesn't exist) )

Edited by bcstones
  • Like 1

I should be picking up an n-echo and Zing (1) 2morrow AM. 

• Like 1

The Pal I got a super stroke on, it and the Karsten came 36 inches. The Zing will be extended and re gripped soon and I'm sure i'll do the same on the N-Echo. Again not bashing modern clubs, but I'd rather hunt for $30ish Pings and have a ton over one newer one. 

image.png.bbb0feac960224a571e10d9426ff8798.png

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Maine Golfer said:

The Pal I got a super stroke on, it and the Karsten came 36 inches. The Zing will be extended and re gripped soon and I'm sure i'll do the same on the N-Echo. Again not bashing modern clubs, but I'd rather hunt for $30ish Pings and have a ton over one newer one. 

image.png.bbb0feac960224a571e10d9426ff8798.png

Like you’re thinking. Be sure to keep ‘em all together to make sure they understand there’s competition. 

• Haha 1

Concerning the 1988 Ad and trying to put together that set. If I want an anser like 88, what's it gonna cost? Is it easy to find ones you know got put out in the 80s. 

I have a Ping Pal 2 that my wife found at a garage sale. I ended up cerakoting it black, black shaft, and black SuperStroke grip. It really started me looking at these old Ping putters along with this thread. I ended up snagging a Zing 5 off the Bay a few minutes ago. I really like the weird neck placement and length. 

PXL_20230718_140530472~2.jpg

Edited by ApostateDrive
  • Like 3

TE C722 - Maltby TS3 - Maltby TSW - Wilson Windy City