2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Old Ping Putters

17 hours ago, Maine Golfer said:

I dont wish to tell other golfer's how to do thing's but Scotty's bore me. If next year I had an extra $1,500 bucks or even 1 millions, no way Im buying a high end putter.The luxury putter markets isn't for me and never will be. 

Understandable. Only thing is if you are a new golfer looking to buy a brand new name brand putter honestly what’s the difference between $295 and $400. Obviously $105 bucks but they are all way to expensive nowadays. This isn’t a defense of the luxury putter market, just saying. Used to be a Scotty was twice the price but now it can only be about $40 difference from a PING or Taylor Made or Odyssey’s. Guess the big brands figured out they were leaving money on the table. There’s deals to be had but it’s pretty sad when $185 is a deal. Unless you’re into searching out these classics like we do for very little cost when we are lucky “they” sure have done a great job of conditioning people. $$$$$$$$

Edited by ezgoer
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, ezgoer said:

There’s deals to be had but it’s pretty sad when $185 is a deal. Unless you’re into searching out these classics like we do for very little cost when we are lucky “they” sure have done a great job of conditioning people. $$$$$$$$

Totally agree....that said, I still have a Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2.5 putter that needs to find a home, I'm sure not ever gonna use it.

• Like 1

the nicest/newest that intrest me is a few models back of Odyssey White Hot stuff.  I adore my 06 Marxman Blade. 

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Long Irons: Ping Zings 2 Iron, 3 Iron 

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 or Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW or Hogan Redline's 1988 4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  , 80s Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  60s Wilson Sandy Andy

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

Ball: Yellow Srixon Q Stars

On 10/29/2023 at 7:28 PM, Binson said:

I love the MyDay and Zing shapes.  The B60 style is also one that just seems to work for me. 

BeCu always turns heads but when it comes to feel, I'll take BeNi, Stainless, and MgBr over BeCu.  I have a bunch of BeCu putters but only one feels/sounds good with a deep thud sound upon impact.  The rest are quite tingy (which I personally do not prefer) and I have no clue what makes the good one an anomaly.     

A weird theory perhaps but sometimes I think the grip makes a difference. If it is old/thin, the putter will feel tingier.  All my becus have midsize PP58s or old Ping wrap grips on them now and they feel solid and make a nice thunk sound.

• Like 1
  • PING G400 Max 9* Tensei Orange 60 S
  • PING Anser 17 / 20* hybrids Graphite Design 85S
  • Miura PP-9003 Straight Neck 4-PW Nippon NS Pro 750 GH wrap tech
  • Miura 52, 56 K forged wedges / PING Eye 2 LW beryllium copper
  • Nordberg Halvdan custom / PING Cushin Scottsdale zip / PING Jim Wells Zing 5KS SN / PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch 380g, etc.

52 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

I do not know if I told this before and I am too lazy to go back and look.

Back in the day my Old man was a Pro and ran a course. For a while he was a Macgregor staffer but switched when his salesman friend switched to Wilson. What also helped on the Wilson deal was the fact they had a distribution warehouse of all their sporting equipment right in town.

One day this young Salesman came by with the Ping line of stuff. My old man for some reason liked him and agreed to let him put like 5 Ping Putters in on consignment plus a demo. My Old man told him they were the ugliest POS he had ever seen and told him they would not sell but give it a try. He sold all 5 that weekend and was on the horn early Monday morning ordering more.

I still have the original Demo from 1972 for his shop. For some reason it was 33" from the factory. It is a Floating face Anser. I dug it out last week and used it on my Par 3 round until after 12 holes I felt my back starting up again. LOl I putted with my 6 iron the rest of the round. Yep it still has the original grip which is getting a little dry rotted now

Never thought of it this way but it must have been an issue for PING initially cosmetically in the pro shops. Sure your old man had a pretty good idea what was gonna sell. Guess pretty good testament to merit of design of their product. Wonder how much was trying out on the practice green vs magazines and word of mouth vs tour players using? I’ve never looked but gotta be a story about PING getting their putters on the tour. Wonder if there was any type of ugliness bye the big companies of the time. Anser hit in 66 right? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I have read the Anser came to be about 66 or so. Around my area it was in like 70 to 72 somewhere in that time frame. After the Anser took off in our area we ended up with and selling all of the Ping putter designs. My Old Man was 180* wrong on them. He said they were a ugly POS and would never sell. How wrong he was. He refused to play one and always stuck to his Wilson Biltmore or Golf Craft mallets. But he was an astute businessman and sold what sold. He further stated he thought they were a ugly POS but they sold well. Just because other putted with them did not mean he had to.

I Love it - "...Just because other putted with them did not mean he had to." That attitude sure would put the "business of golf" in a hurt, if more people today thought & played that way today.

Your "Old Man" was totally correct in his assessment of Anser's being anugly POS, I like his go to putters...think I have at least 1 Biltmore in that stash, not so sure about Golf Craft tho. I wonder what he'd say about today's putters - even more UGLY than yesteryears....😂

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sheepdawg said:

PING_Anser-3a-600x473.jpg

Wonder what year that was from where SRP was $20? I can not remember what my old man sold them for in like 70 or 72.

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

4 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Wonder what year that was from where SRP was $20? I can not remember what my old man sold them for in like 70 or 72.

Stu, I took a look at the Maltby Guide to see what was in there.  It showed $20 for 1968 to 1975.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

3 hours ago, BIG STU said:

It shows a Karsten Co. Anser but it does mention Karsten Manufacturing Co. which was stamped in the cavity of Ansers after the Karsten Co. batch so I'd take a stab and say 1968.

• Thanks 1

1981 'pat pending' Anser 2 and a Jim Wells Anser 2 that looks similar

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

On 11/2/2023 at 1:15 PM, BIG STU said:

Stu, I can confirm that I paid $20 for mine in the spring of 1969.  That was a lot of $ for a 14 year old me back then.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TEE C721 10.5 Ventus Red 5R (with 10g lead tape under the stripes)

Adams Idea Pro 20, 23, 26 Aldila VS Proto 80S

MP32 6-PW DGR300, +1"

MP223 GW DGS200, +1"

Cleveland 588 RTG TA 51 DG wedge flex

Vokey 256.12 DG wedge flex

1969 Ping Anser 85029 34" long step

golf..."can't be mastered, can only be played"

On 11/2/2023 at 1:15 PM, BIG STU said:

Looking at the ad, the Anser pictured is a Karsten CO so this would put it around 1967 iirc.

Edited by RobotDoctor
  • Thanks 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

On 10/24/2023 at 8:53 PM, ezgoer said:

Another old PING putter wandered in to my possession. Unsure if it’s truly old. While PING definitely made some un attractive clubs I’ve yet to try one that played horrible. Can’t wait to give this one a shot. Feels light even for an old Ping but does have an oversized Wynn grip that of course is deteriorating. Don’t know anything about it. Unfortunately I scrubbed off some patina to be able to read it. May have to store in the garage so tarnish can re start. 
IMG_2190.jpeg.628631b9059408f805172b25e5e6cfc7.jpegIMG_2194.jpeg.24767fa7197f9dc8f0978d760751799f.jpegIMG_2191.jpeg.436b01455657393ddfcae1006c969f13.jpegIMG_2192.jpeg.5da834374806bd4ee1a28957d4149797.jpegIMG_2193.jpeg.4f2695278239f28a57e63d850b4b8cc9.jpeg

This was my first Ping putter, I think I got it in 1977 or 78.

I was using some real old school putter that was my grandfather's, I played in a junior tournament one time and shot 84 the first day with 41 putts.   I was so disgusted, I went right in to the pro shop after the round and bought this Echo 2 and went out the practice green.  I changed my set up completely, and put it in play the next day.  I remember distinctly to this day hitting the first green in regulation to about 35 feet and leaving the first putt about 6-8 feet short, and thinking, "oh well, here we go again", but then making the putt.  Went on to have 28 putts that day and never looked back.  The echo was in the bag for a couple of years, then replaced by a B60 for several years, and I rotated now and then.

I still have both Pings......

• Like 4

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

Getting into off-season if you are not in AZ, FL, Cali, etc…..greens get a little shaggier and great time to break out the older light headed Pings!

• Like 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, caniac6 said:

I have a patent pending Anser2 and a patent pending B60. Is there such a thing as a patent pending Zing2?

I have not seen one (and I've seen many).  Doesn't mean there isn't one though!

• Like 2

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 7i, 9i, UW - Ping i210

SW - Ping Glide 3.0 SS 54.12

LW - Ping Glide 3.0 TS 60.06

P - SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5 
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)