Southern Kentucky gems: Park Mammoth/Dale Hollow Lake?

me05501

These courses recently popped up on my radar and I'm interested to hear any recent first-hand reviews. 

It seems feasible to visit both courses over a two- or three-day trip but these courses are kind of out in the sticks so finding a place to stay might be hard. Maybe the lodge at Dale Hollow would be the best option? 

Thanks in advance. 

Dale Hollow Lake State Park Golf Course | Ky Parks

www.parkmammothgolfclub.com

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Message sent to you.

For lodging I would say Bowling Green or Glasgow and then drive to which ever you would like.  The lodge at DH might be the play if you are wanting an early tee time there.  Park Mammoth is maybe only 10 minutes off of I65.  It isn't hard to get to but decent hotel may be a trick right near there.

Edited by smashdn

• 2 weeks later...

played Park Mammoth 2 weekends ago on a bachelor party. We had a blast! I wish it was closer to Louisville, it would definitely be in my rota of courses to play regularly  

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 8.0 HZRDUS 6.5
Ping G425 LST 14.5 Ping Tour 75X
Cobra King Tec 19.0 Tour AD DI-105 X
Miura AS-1 4-P Dynamic Golf Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 50,55,60 Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron X5

On 8/2/2023 at 8:48 AM, me05501 said:

These courses recently popped up on my radar and I'm interested to hear any recent first-hand reviews. 

It seems feasible to visit both courses over a two- or three-day trip but these courses are kind of out in the sticks so finding a place to stay might be hard. Maybe the lodge at Dale Hollow would be the best option? 

Thanks in advance. 

Dale Hollow Lake State Park Golf Course | Ky Parks

www.parkmammothgolfclub.com

Both courses are great/top public courses in the state.  Here's my suggestion...stay at Barren River State Park play there (gives you a middle of the road destination), then make the 30 min drive to Park Mammoth and play it.  Next day make the 1+ hour drive to play Dale Hollow.  I play all 3 of the courses frequently and the 2 you're looking at are in great shape.  Park Mammoth is the hidden gem at the moment although I find it a little too pricey for the area.  Its a great track that is very scoreable, but also very easy to get out of sorts on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

• 3 weeks later...

Both courses are worthy.  Park Mammoth isn't that out in the sticks, it's close to I-65.  Dale Hollow, on the other hand, is very much in the hinterlands.

Depending on where you care coming from I'd stay either at the Lodge at Dale Hollow or in a nearby VRBO and hit Park Mammoth on the way in or out.  The Lodge is very convenient, but both the lodging and the food are very average.  

• Like 1

Speaking of Park Mammoth and it being a hidden gem.  I don't think it will get to the level of say a Sweeten's Cove because it lacks some of the celebrity power and proximity to Chattanooga and ATL that Sweeten's does, but it would not surprise me if Park Mammoth develops a cult following in the next few years and the greens fees go way up.

As has been said by a few others, Park Mammoth is located around not much of anything but at the same time it is not hard to access either.  Maybe 10 minutes off of I-65 (about like Sweetens off of 24) It also has the benefit of being 18 holes and will have a new clubhouse and a full size driving range soon if it is not already completed.

When people find out I am from KY and golf, the next question out of their mouth is typically asking if I have played Park Mammoth yet.

Edited by smashdn
  • Like 2

Driving range and putting green are open…clubhouse is a ways out as they haven’t done anything since leveling the land and foundation. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, eddiebigeddie said:

Nice thanks. Are there 18 holes there or just 9?

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

18…for some reason they only recorded 9.

• Like 1

From the vid, "Not quite sure this was driver either."  There are several holes out there where being in the right position is way more important than being long.  And some where being long is the play.  It keeps you thinking and at times you can overthink it.

"Don't want to be in the fescue."  < Understatement.

Edited by smashdn
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, smashdn said:

From the vid, "Not quite sure this was driver either."  There are several holes out there where being in the right position is way more important than being long.  And some where being long is the play.  It keeps you thinking and at times you can overthink it.

"Don't want to be in the fescue."  < Understatement.

Lol, I found it funny watching the video too after playing it 3x and also walking it another 5x or so with our Golf Team.  The Course is "Open" but you still have to think about shots/angles.  The most important thing about that entire course though is being on the right side of the green.  Some of them have 2,3,4 areas you can be in and those are trouble if your on the opposite side.

4 minutes ago, eddiebigeddie said:

Lol, I found it funny watching the video too after playing it 3x and also walking it another 5x or so with our Golf Team.  The Course is "Open" but you still have to think about shots/angles.  The most important thing about that entire course though is being on the right side of the green.  Some of them have 2,3,4 areas you can be in and those are trouble if your on the opposite side.

I think it is sneaky in the fact that you can find yourself lured into a spot or you hit a not so great shot, but not bad by any stretch, and find yourself now not able to see the bottom of the flag or the flag at all.

1,2, 3 and 9 are that way.  If you bail too far left on one you have to play over the crest of the hill to the green.  It is a fairly easy hole (it's the opener) but you can make it harder on yourself if you don't flirt with the right side.

On two if you get too far right and too close you get blocked out by the bunker a touch.  I think the play is to lay up short left and hit into the slope of the green while able to see the whole green but you have to hit a long iron accurately towards the fescue on the left to do that.

On three the hill with the bunkers is going to block your line of sight to the green.  I think they had the right idea to pick a line on the house in the distance and go that route if you are going for it in two shots.  Otherwise the lay-up area is generous.

I have been in the bunker on 9.  It is deep down there and you can't see squat for the flag.  The hero play is to drive the green but the path is up there as well as that bunker.  The lay up is sort of tricky because of the tree on the left and you sort of want to be on top of a hill and not down in a hole hitting your second.

I hope for those guys sake they actually played the back nine.  I think the more challenging holes are back there but maybe the more interesting holes are on the front.  At least the more interesting greens.  But I do really like 17 and 18.  Both of those holes you need to come up with a strategy and execute it.  There are almost too many options on both of the holes and if you don't pick a path you are in bad shape.  On 17 you are inclined to hug that fairway bunker but I think the angle is better to the green from the middle or right side of the fairway.  Get too far left and the trees on the left block you out from the green unless you can hit a slinging draw with a ball a little below your feet.

18 looks harder than it is so long as you commit to where you want your tee ball to land.

On 9/12/2023 at 8:25 AM, smashdn said:

I think it is sneaky in the fact that you can find yourself lured into a spot or you hit a not so great shot, but not bad by any stretch, and find yourself now not able to see the bottom of the flag or the flag at all.

1,2, 3 and 9 are that way.  If you bail too far left on one you have to play over the crest of the hill to the green.  It is a fairly easy hole (it's the opener) but you can make it harder on yourself if you don't flirt with the right side.

On two if you get too far right and too close you get blocked out by the bunker a touch.  I think the play is to lay up short left and hit into the slope of the green while able to see the whole green but you have to hit a long iron accurately towards the fescue on the left to do that.

On three the hill with the bunkers is going to block your line of sight to the green.  I think they had the right idea to pick a line on the house in the distance and go that route if you are going for it in two shots.  Otherwise the lay-up area is generous.

I have been in the bunker on 9.  It is deep down there and you can't see squat for the flag.  The hero play is to drive the green but the path is up there as well as that bunker.  The lay up is sort of tricky because of the tree on the left and you sort of want to be on top of a hill and not down in a hole hitting your second.

I hope for those guys sake they actually played the back nine.  I think the more challenging holes are back there but maybe the more interesting holes are on the front.  At least the more interesting greens.  But I do really like 17 and 18.  Both of those holes you need to come up with a strategy and execute it.  There are almost too many options on both of the holes and if you don't pick a path you are in bad shape.  On 17 you are inclined to hug that fairway bunker but I think the angle is better to the green from the middle or right side of the fairway.  Get too far left and the trees on the left block you out from the green unless you can hit a slinging draw with a ball a little below your feet.

18 looks harder than it is so long as you commit to where you want your tee ball to land.

I think the play on 1 is for the middle to left side of fairway since it is so wide open there.  If the pin is on the front you can see and attack, if its in the middle/back you just play for the middle of the green.

The play on 2 is a 3 wood/Hybrid towards the bunker on the left (Hole 4 green) leave a nice little flip wedge to the green.  If you hit your driver straight and 270+ you can fly the bunker on the right...but gotta keep it straight.  Again, gotta worry about where the pin is...middle to front is easier, back pin can leave LONG putt from front of the green.

On 3 we always go down 4's fairway left of the left bunker...more room to be safe and gives a decent angle to the green.  The play from there is over/just right of the tallest tree on the left side of the fwy from there.  Plenty of bailout room on the right as long as you don't go a mile right from there.  The tricky part of that hole is the green it has basically 4 areas and 2 of them are death if you're above the hole.

Hole 9 I see the kids hitting driver or 3 wood most of the time myself included.  Lay up the cart signs and have a flip wedge to the green.  I've never seen the hole anywhere besides the bottom and if attacking from middle right of the fwy you can actually go long and use the slope to bring it back to the hole.

I also think the back has more challenging holes to contend with.  Hole 10...do you go for it or lay up, just depends how you're hitting your driver.  Hole 11 depending on hole location you can use the slope around green to help out.  Hole 12 how much do you want to flirt with trees on left for better angle/shorter hole?  Hole 13 & 14 fairly straight away.  Hole 15 the further right you are the better angle to the skinny green way above you, but don't go left into the bunker of death a good 15ft or more below the hole.  Hole 16 a long par 3 way down the hill, but plenty of room short and right.  

Hole 17 like you said, hit a driver to the right of the fwy bunker and you're much safer.  Then from there keep it right of the trees and again your safe.  Unless you bomb it its a 3 shot hole anyways.  

Hole 18 another one of those holes with decisions.  Most of the people i play with take driver up the middle left and then flip wedge over the bunker and use the slope behind green to bring ball back to front pin locations.  I have seen a few high school kids drive it up the left side and be just short of the green past the bunker 🙂

But it definitely can get you thinking about what to hit or where to hit to.

Edited by eddiebigeddie
Fixed hole. Spelling
  • Like 1

I can't say I really like 10.  And my hang-up is with the lack of good spot to lay back to.  Like you said, if you are feeling your driver you just need to go for it, but if you are not or you simply cannot clear that ditch off the tee, I wish they had built in a flattish spot short right down there where you had a second road to town.  Your "penalty" for laying back was that you had to go up against the fescue on the right and of course the longer approach.  But they don't have a spot of fairway cut over there so you don't have a very good spot to position your tee shot aside from going over the ditch.

9 and 10 both play a little like that.  I feel like with some minor fairway grading they could have built in a temptation on both holes to have the golfer play too conservatively.  As far as I can tell it is best to just bludgeon them with long drives and not try to strategize with a lay-up.

Below are pictures of 10.  From the tee, just over the ditch and looking back towards the tee.  In the shot from the tee you can sort of tell there is not a clear spot where you would really want to lay back to but the distance of where that ditch cuts through might necessitate it.  Hole is 333 yards from the back tees.

20220618_111413.jpg

20220618_112351.jpg

20220618_112357.jpg

Edited by smashdn
  • Like 1

This is what I mean about getting yourself into uncomfortable spots.  I wasn't in the bunker down here, I think I was playing 4 and took the picture of 2 flag.  You can get down into these bunkers or behind swales or swales with bunkers and then have a blind shot or not be able to see the green surface.

20220618_095033.jpg

Here is 18.  Last time I played it I drove it short of the second bunker on the left.  Pitched up and on for birdie to close out the round.  I have played it short of the right hand bunker too.  For a hole cut on the right hand side that might not be a bad play.

20220618_130914.jpg

Edited by smashdn
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Playing Park Mammoth coming up this weekend. Very excited as I prefer a course that is open off the tee but demanding on angles and second shots. Seems like this is that course. Greens look like they have a lot of movement in them so excited to see how I get around. I predict some large numbers if I end up on the wrong side of a hole. Hopefully there is some golf pro shop finds as I am in *need* of another good rope hat. 

@smashdn - I was curious about #10 when I looked at it on google earth and your post above kind of confirms my suspicions. That ditch is about *perfectly* placed to where I would need to be down wind to cover it but I could easily run into it potentially still with a 3W. It seems like the flat part of the fairway (if you can call it that) is way back at like 195 off the tee. So I am a little jammed as to what to do but will probably try to bunt a 3W (230-240 yds) and hopefully have a GW in from there off an upslope. Will see how it shapes up. 

Edited by vandyfan
  • Like 1

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

Really need to get down there and play those courses. We have 25 acres on the KY/TN border just south of Burkesville, but haven't been down there for quite a while due to a move to PA a couple of years back. That is SUCH a beautiful area! Love Dale Hollow Lake, though the water table was WAY low the last time I was down. 

@vandyfan best advice for that hole “if playing tips” just blast driver over the left side of the ditch but right of the big tree. It’s a shorter shot and shouldn’t have a problem carrying it if you hit driver 250+…or you can play like a 5 iron or hybrid and be “safe” off the tee and have a full club in. 

As far as your statements…yes it’s fairly wide open and angles help going to greens, and yes you’re 100000% right about being in correct area of green as some have 3-4 areas with lots of slope. Hole 3 Par 5…play left of the fairway bunker into the opposite fairway. Much safer route and give better angle too although it’s blind. 

Any questions don’t hesitate to message me. I’ve played that course several times and walked it a bunch with my high school team. 

• Like 2

Hit it here…

IMG_9664.jpeg

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 12:21 PM, vandyfan said:

Playing Park Mammoth coming up this weekend. Very excited as I prefer a course that is open off the tee but demanding on angles and second shots. Seems like this is that course. Greens look like they have a lot of movement in them so excited to see how I get around. I predict some large numbers if I end up on the wrong side of a hole. Hopefully there is some golf pro shop finds as I am in *need* of another good rope hat. 

@smashdn - I was curious about #10 when I looked at it on google earth and your post above kind of confirms my suspicions. That ditch is about *perfectly* placed to where I would need to be down wind to cover it but I could easily run into it potentially still with a 3W. It seems like the flat part of the fairway (if you can call it that) is way back at like 195 off the tee. So I am a little jammed as to what to do but will probably try to bunt a 3W (230-240 yds) and hopefully have a GW in from there off an upslope. Will see how it shapes up. 

The whole course is in a valley between hills.  When I have been there the wind blows down the valley from the high end to the low.  So the back nine towards the front nine holes.  Most holes run parallel to the hills with a handful playing across so you do get a cross wind.  #10 sort of plays from the sidehill down into the valley but I would guess you either will get wind quartering into your face or helping your drive.  

Anything over the ditch will have a 1/2 wedge in your hands.  I would try to play right into the apron of the green if you can get it that far.  That opens up the green and allows you to play back into the slope of it.

• Like 1

Also, you might be able to tell from the above pic...but hole #10 & #13  share a green, but in reality unless you just hit bad shots you shouldn't go to the wrong hole :)

Playing Park in May, 2024. In to follow / read reviews.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

2 hours ago, Cwing said:

Playing Park in May, 2024. In to follow / read reviews.

You won’t be disappointed….course should be coming to life in the next few weeks too. 

• Like 1

Also…if you play Mammoth in the summer/fall…stay out of the tall grass, that area is known for some snakes you don’t wanna be matched up against 😳

@vandyfan you play today?

@BigEddie played yesterday. Will post a thorough review but this is my headline, “best public course within 2 hours of Nashville.” And yes, I have played sweetens cove and sewanee numerous times.

• Like 2

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

34 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

@BigEddie played yesterday. Will post a thorough review but this is my headline, “best public course within 2 hours of Nashville.” And yes, I have played sweetens cove and sewanee numerous times.

I absolutely agree on that. And on top of that the price is a steal compared to Nashville/Lexington/Louisville courses too