2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Lessons for kids?

bonvivantva

I have a daughter who is 8 and a son who is 5.  They both have clubs and like to play.  My 8 year old plays with me pretty often, mostly because she likes snacks and riding in the cart.  She mostly just throws a ball down about 20 yards from the hole and then chips and putts.  Doing that, when we play with my parents or by ourselves when it isn't crowded, she can keep up pace of play.  She hits her hybrid about 60-80 yards in the simulator, so she could start playing from further out, but she seems to like what shes doing, so I only occasionally start her 60-80 yards out.  I'll occasionally take the 5 year old out to do the same thing, but he just doesn't have the coordination or patience to really do it on his own yet.  That said, we recently played a pitch and putt in Hawaii (holes ranged from 60 to 130), and both kids played tee to hole (it was not a short round).  Both of my kids have done summer camps for gold and enjoyed that.  My question is about lessons.  My personal aim is to be able to play golf with my kids.  Even if they don't end up passionate about golf, I'd like them to be good enough to play with me on occasion, on vacation, if a friend of theirs offers, etc.  If they're into it and want to say play on their school team I'd be ecstatic, but I'd be happy if they just can play adequate golf at a reasonable pace.  

I started golfing with my friends in college and played about 15 years before I ever took a lesson.  I don't think that's an ideal way to go about learning the game.  I've developed so many bad habits and I still don't always break 100.  I've been able to help with fundamentals like setup and grip, but it won't be long before I can't help much.  What do you guys think about lessons for kids?  Any success stories?  I don't want golf to be a chore, but I also don't want them to start ingraining bad habits.

I would hold off on lessons, unless one of the kids really starts showing a passion for it.  

There's a ton of junior camps and programs out there that would be a better fit in my opinion.  Jr League is a great program that gets them into best ball match play formats with their teammates.  These types of programs puts them with other juniors, gives some small direction on basics and mostly is about the kids playing the game and having fun.  

Reach out to your local clubs to find out camps and programs they offer.  Then also look up your PGA chapter's website for junior programs they offer as well.  

Drive, Chip and Putt is another cool program for juniors:

https://www.drivechipandputt.com/

PGA Junior League:

https://www.pgajrleague.com/

Don't forget.  #1 thing for juniors - is to enjoy themselves.  

• Like 3

Might check around at some of the golf learning centers if you have any close, some of them have things setup on the weekends for the kids to play different little games for them to play, Makes it fun and they get to practice and an instructor is usually there.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

I'd have this moved to the juniors sub-forum --- comes up along with similar questions quite frequently, then again maybe not since you don't want to tell someone spending $$$$$ on 10 year olds' lessons and tournaments and obsessing about their swings, bad instructors, rankings and on and on that they should just let their kids be kids.  And if it is truly fun and all in perspective - great!

A somewhat minority take over there, lol, just let them be kids!!!!!! 

Plenty of time for lessons later.  My oldest daughter had her first real lesson at age 15 - could shoot not very much over par from the 'men's' tees by age 18/19.  Youngest daughter who played tennis had her first golf lesson at age 16 - never plays but could shoot around 90 if she wanted to.  So many variables.  Let 'em have fun, bust it all over, learn the game and etiquette, and if they are chomping at the bit to play and learn set them up with a lesson, still depends on the kid how young but you are a ways off yet, IMO.

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1

If they were interested in lessons, they being the key word, I'd personally try to look up junior programs or coaches that specialize in kids.

I love that you said you don't want golf to be a chore, and teachers who are known for working with kids should be able to balance out the work and fun parts for your children. The biggest question is how are you and your family going to be as they progress or want to stop. FWIW I've been coaching youth football for some years now, and I don't what it is but sports / competition turns many into the worse people in the world. Sit back let them take a lesson or sign up for a junior program and see if they like it, if so continue if not stop. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I'd have this moved to the juniors sub-forum

I didn't realize there was one, but I'll check it out

39 minutes ago, Warrior42111 said:

If they were interested in lessons, they being the key word, I'd personally try to look up junior programs or coaches that specialize in kids.

There is a guy pretty close to us that I've taken lessons from in the past that was on some golf digest list for best instructors for kids. 

Thanks for the suggestions.  My real concern with just letter her go at her own pace is that A, she's unlikely to be interested in instruction on her own until say she can join the golf team in high school, and B, her high school only has a golf team for boys right now (though that could likely change).  She likes playing on our simulator right now which is awesome for me, but occasionally she'll have an issue, say hitting well behind the ball over and over, and she'll get frustrated.  So far I've just try to let her figure it out on her own because I know my advice might do more harm than good.  I'll probably just keep her in a camp once a year, and then maybe in a year or two think about having her take occasional lessons.  Once and month would be unlikely to burn her out and you can always bribe them with milkshakes, etc.  

2 hours ago, bonvivantva said:

I have a daughter who is 8 and a son who is 5.  They both have clubs and like to play.  My 8 year old plays with me pretty often, mostly because she likes snacks and riding in the cart.  She mostly just throws a ball down about 20 yards from the hole and then chips and putts.  Doing that, when we play with my parents or by ourselves when it isn't crowded, she can keep up pace of play. 

You can download an app called Op 36.

https://operation36.golf/

My kids were to old when we started but the idea is you get them scoring 36 from a certain range.  It doesn't have to be that extreme but you get the idea.  Make up games.

You can use it just as a range for each hole to tee off from.

The time now is all about bonding.  My son really got into golf after baseball at 14.  I think that summer we had his first lesson but he asked for them.

Daughter had just wanted to hang out with us and never got serious until before high school.  She took a few lessons and it wasn't for her.  I think she took 3 and was like no thanks.

She is off to play college golf tomorrow, so it doesn't always translate.

She preferred watching Jordan or Nelly on youtube and picking up tips.  Plus her brother was recruiting and play one year in college, so she likes sending him videos and he can correct something.  Plus he can be a lot harder on her than I can. "Why the F are you so steep?"  If I even asked why she would roll her eyes. 😉

I would prefer at 8 probably a clinic or something where she  can met other girls.  They need buddies as well if possible on the course.

I'll occasionally take the 5 year old out to do the same thing, but he just doesn't have the coordination or patience to really do it on his own yet.  That said, we recently played a pitch and putt in Hawaii (holes ranged from 60 to 130), and both kids played tee to hole (it was not a short round).  Both of my kids have done summer camps for gold and enjoyed that.  My question is about lessons.  My personal aim is to be able to play golf with my kids.  Even if they don't end up passionate about golf, I'd like them to be good enough to play with me on occasion, on vacation, if a friend of theirs offers, etc.  If they're into it and want to say play on their school team I'd be ecstatic, but I'd be happy if they just can play adequate golf at a reasonable pace.  

If they are passionate it will be obvious to you.  I would continue to see if they want to go to the course or range.  Its all about fun at this age.  If its late and no one is around let the 5 yo do sand angels in the bunkers. 😉

It would be great for a 5 yo to just carry around a LW and chip and putt while you are playing as well.  My daughter was 13 ?  I think and did it.  She wasn't good at golf at the time.  Son and I just got close to the green and then set her up with a chip shot and she would finish it out.

My son basically started golf spring/summer before high school.  He wanted to make the team so bad I never had to say anything nor would I.

There was a two year period I spent a lot of time hanging out with him at the range.  We seen a lot of the what not to do.  Dads making their young sons cry. The whole yelling in their ear.  It was really terrible.

I don't want golf to be a chore, but I also don't want them to start ingraining bad habits.  Just remember plenty of time.  FUN! FUN!  Then you can have two golf buddies for life hopefully.

Also, let them be athletes.  If they want to play soccer, softball, VB whatever.  You don't want them growing up thinking OMG Dad only wants us to play golf.

Also, I would be honest with them and ask.  Is this something you are interested.  Here is what I am thinking.

/Rant

Edited by TripleBogeysrbetter
  • Like 1

Reread your post as if someone else wrote it, and you’ll have your answer.  Your 3rd sentence is critical.

Your kids just want to be with you; golf is secondary for now.  When they start bugging you to go play, that’ll be a signal, but right now just enjoy a VERY short moment in your life when fun is being with Dad.  

• Like 4

Junior camps, group lessons, PGA Jr, First Tee are all great ways for kids to learn the fundamentals while having fun in a group setting. My son did PGA Jr for a number of years, I think ages 7 through 13 maybe? He loved his time, and although he didn't play in high school at 18 he still enjoys getting out there with me. Even when he was 10/11 yrs old taking him out on the course wasn't an issue as he had an understanding of how to get around the course, pace of play, etiquette, etc from the group lessons and PGA Jr.

• Like 1