2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

2024 Sun Mountain 2.5+

On 11/16/2023 at 10:15 AM, ALX said:

Historically, does Sun Mountain run any Black Friday sales? I was pretty set on a 2023 but then a 2024 colorway caught my eye, I just can't justify the extra $80 for a darker shade of blue.

code is BlackFriday_23, 25% off on selected bags

Are there a lot of differences between the 2022, 2023, and, 2024 bags? (other than the colorways)

On 11/18/2023 at 8:59 AM, bellken said:

Are there a lot of differences between the 2022, 2023, and, 2024 bags? (other than the colorways)

The 24’s top is smaller. The only reason I can think of is that they actually wanted to downgrade it from the higher price models.

The 23 has two differences (as far as i could tell) from the 22. The first is side pocket placement, which is a negligible difference. The second is the the hip padding. On the 22, which I have, the pad shows wear almost immediately. The 23 appears to have been redesigned to eliminate that. IMO the 23 is best regardless of price. Given the current discount levels, it’s a no brainer.

• Like 1

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

21 hours ago, Jeff58 said:

The 24’s top is smaller. The only reason I can think of is that they actually wanted to downgrade it from the higher price models.

The 23 has two differences (as far as i could tell) from the 22. The first is side pocket placement, which is a negligible difference. The second is the the hip padding. On the 22, which I have, the pad shows wear almost immediately. The 23 appears to have been redesigned to eliminate that. IMO the 23 is best regardless of price. Given the current discount levels, it’s a no brainer.

Tops haven't changed size since 2019ish.  If it's on their website as such, then it's simply a typo.

Edited by brew4eagle

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

On 11/18/2023 at 11:59 AM, bellken said:

code is BlackFriday_23, 25% off on selected bags

If you're interested in a new 2024 2.5+ at a similar discount PM me.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

8 hours ago, brew4eagle said:

If you're interested in a new 2024 2.5+ at a similar discount PM me.

For some odd reason, I seem to like to shop for golf bags. The only thing stopping me from buying, is the 2 new in box golf bags, I have in the garage. Both were great deals at the time, and, I should break one out to use before purchasing another bag.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@MMB1500 Compared to a Hoofer Lite. There’s nothing abnormal in real life about it at all IMO.

It looks “narrow” mostly because it’s round. It can be round because only the front portion bends/articulates when the legs extend.

IMG_1852.jpeg.6a6458eefcb849638435ae43ecbf0e10.jpeg

It looks long because the pockets don’t extend as close to the ground.

IMG_1855.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, MMB1500 said:

I'm tempted by one of these but I don't like the base. It looks weird and too long and narrow. I've not seen the bag in person, so is it better in real life? 

Screenshot_20240323-1325302.png.6511d9a41653b0ec727e643c017b87af.png

As shown above vs the Hoofer Lite, it's just that the pockets don't extend as far down.  It's part of what helps cut the weight to sub 3 lbs.

Doesn't look too odd in person...

20231204_171925.jpg

Edited by brew4eagle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Thanks @brew4eagle and @Jeff58for the feedback and photos. Much appreciated. The base certainly looks better than in the promo pics. 

I'd have liked to see the pockets extend further down but take the point about weight saving. 

Have you guys had any issues with club tangle? 

Edited by MMB1500

2 minutes ago, MMB1500 said:

Thanks @brew4eagle and @Jeff58for the feedback and photos. Much appreciated. The base certainly looks better than in the promo pics. 

I'd have liked to see the pockets extend further down but take the point about weight saving. 

No tangle in my experience 

• Like 2

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

The 2.5+ does have limitations, but club loading and tangle aren’t among them. It’s remarkably good regardless of weight.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MMB1500 said:

Not even a little tangle

one of the best parts of this bag

• Thanks 1

Yadi for President

6 hours ago, MMB1500 said:

brew4eagle pretty much has all these light bags nailed

lol it'll save you time if ya just listen to him about them all

my 2.5+ is one of my favorite bags ever

I walk almost exclusively, and I have not found a better combo of wt and functionality

many people don't like the straps, but I just swapped out my 3.5 straps and have zero issues

Yadi for President

A little off topic to the 2.5, but I just picked up a white 2024 3.5 based on some research I did on WRX.  I tested 10 stands bags at Golf Galaxy, took a full set from the shelf and put them into each bag I tried.

The 3.5 had the least club tangle and it wasn't really close and the 2.5 was similar.  The base pivoting with the bag and the leg mechanism on the outside of the bag made this possible.  I've had a Hoofer for years and the base moving opposite to the bag being stood on its legs made the grip side of the clubs tangle something terrible and I couldn't take it any longer.

Edited by eddie_max
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, eddie_max said:

A little off topic to the 2.5, but I just picked up a white 2024 3.5 based on some research I did on WRX.  I tested 10 stands bags at Golf Galaxy, took a full set from the shelf and put them into each bag I tried.

The 3.5 had the least club tangle and it wasn't really close and the 2.5 was similar.  The base pivoting with the bag and the leg mechanism on the outside of the bag made this possible.  I've had a Hoofer for years and the base moving opposite to the bag being stood on its legs made the grip side of the clubs tangle something terrible and I couldn't take it any longer.

Yup

I know people LOVE the hoofer, but I just cant deal with the tangle (and yes I know to stand it upright etc)

Yadi for President

Has anyone compared the 2.5+ to the G/Fore lightweight stand bag? I am asking because I ordered one off of Carl's Golfland for a huge discount and it looks like the 2.5+ with the 3.5+ straps. 
G/FORE Circle G's Lightweight Stand Bag ON SALE - Carl's Golfland (carlsgolfland.com)

Dr: Mizuno ST-G 440, Kai'Li White 70TX
3w: TSR2 15*, HZRDUS Black 6.5 70g
3i: Mizuno Fli Hi, HZRDUS Black 6.5 80g
4i: New Level NLU-01 24*, HZRDUS Black 6.5 100g
5i-7i: Takomo 301CB, TI X100 Black Onyx
8i-PW: Takomo 301MB, TI X100 Black Onyx
51*: Mizuno T22 Raw, TI X100 Black Onyx

55*: Mizuno T22 Raw, TI S400 Black Onyx

60*: Taylormade HI-Toe 3 Tour Grind, TI S400 Black Onyx
P: Meridian Charleston Mid Slant Custom

20 minutes ago, jrdubbb said:

Has anyone compared the 2.5+ to the G/Fore lightweight stand bag? I am asking because I ordered one off of Carl's Golfland for a huge discount and it looks like the 2.5+ with the 3.5+ straps. 
G/FORE Circle G's Lightweight Stand Bag ON SALE - Carl's Golfland (carlsgolfland.com)

I have it.  It's great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrdubbb said:

I have compared them in PGA Tour Superstore.  The GFore is a bit more beefed up and is heavier.  I preferred the 2.5+ in comparison, but could easily be happy with the GFore version.  It's a blend of the 2.5+ and 3.5LS.  Basically a 3.0

• Like 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2024 at 4:20 PM, jrdubbb said:

Just received my GFORE after going into Golf Galaxy and testing everything like @eddie_max

I hadn’t bought a new stand bag in over 15 years, and while my Callaway was ok… after reading that club tangle wasn’t an issue with all bags, I had to look into it. I went into this assuming I would get a Ping Hoofer with all its great reviews, and because I love my Ping cart bag. After being in the store testing them side by side, I was sold on the Sun Mountain. I liked the 2.5 better because of the slightly lighter weight and less pockets (to be less tempted to put more stuff in it and negate the weight savings). The lack of club tangle was amazing and I realized I would much rather have this style of bag. 

The main thing people usually don’t like about the 2.5 is the straps and I saw people saying to upgrade the straps with the 3.5 straps. When you guys posted in several places here about the GFORE, and I saw it was a 2.5 with 3.5 straps and rain cover and a solid color and not too flashy, I knew it was the one for me. Great price, only slightly more than some closeout SMs, but in the configuration I wanted. 

Arrived today. I like this bag!!!! Lighter, just like I expected and seems well made. The absolute lack of all club tangle is amazing! I didn’t realize stand bags could be this easy pulling clubs. I just dealt with the annoyance in the past, but I am glad to never deal with that again! 14 clubs and no issues at all. 

The GFORE 3 G’s lightweight bag is worth taking a shot on.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Smok3y said:

Just received my GFORE after going into Golf Galaxy and testing everything like @eddie_max

I hadn’t bought a new stand bag in over 15 years, and while my Callaway was ok… after reading that club tangle wasn’t an issue with all bags, I had to look into it. I went into this assuming I would get a Ping Hoofer with all its great reviews, and because I love my Ping cart bag. After being in the store testing them side by side, I was sold on the Sun Mountain. I liked the 2.5 better because of the slightly lighter weight and less pockets (to be less tempted to put more stuff in it and negate the weight savings). The lack of club tangle was amazing and I realized I would much rather have this style of bag. 

The main thing people usually don’t like about the 2.5 is the straps and I saw people saying to upgrade the straps with the 3.5 straps. When you guys posted in several places here about the GFORE, and I saw it was a 2.5 with 3.5 straps and rain cover and a solid color and not too flashy, I knew it was the one for me. Great price, only slightly more than some closeout SMs, but in the configuration I wanted. 

Arrived today. I like this bag!!!! Lighter, just like I expected and seems well made. The absolute lack of all club tangle is amazing! I didn’t realize stand bags could be this easy pulling clubs. I just dealt with the annoyance in the past, but I am glad to never deal with that again! 14 clubs and no issues at all. 

The GFORE 3 G’s lightweight bag is worth taking a shot on.

I have carried mine for three rounds of golf so far, 11 holes, 9 holes, and 11 holes. The way my club is set up hole 9 is about a quarter mile from the club house and hole 10 and 18 are in line of the way back in, that is why I play 11 holes. The front 9 at my club is 3.85 miles and the back nine is 2.84 miles, and with being in Appalachian mountains of Virginia, the hills can be brutal. The bag is great, no club tangle even when I set up the clubs to be D, 3W, P in the top, 3i-PW in the middle, and three wedges in the bottom. The biggest praise I can give the bag is that for someone who has traditionally taken a cart, starting to walk has been more of an issue on my shoes than the bag. I do not notice the bag, it isn't on my mind, and that is the best thing about it. 

• Like 4

Dr: Mizuno ST-G 440, Kai'Li White 70TX
3w: TSR2 15*, HZRDUS Black 6.5 70g
3i: Mizuno Fli Hi, HZRDUS Black 6.5 80g
4i: New Level NLU-01 24*, HZRDUS Black 6.5 100g
5i-7i: Takomo 301CB, TI X100 Black Onyx
8i-PW: Takomo 301MB, TI X100 Black Onyx
51*: Mizuno T22 Raw, TI X100 Black Onyx

55*: Mizuno T22 Raw, TI S400 Black Onyx

60*: Taylormade HI-Toe 3 Tour Grind, TI S400 Black Onyx
P: Meridian Charleston Mid Slant Custom