Caveat Emptor: Buying Used Clubs

This is more of a rant.  Quite often when you buy used clubs there is either damage or custom work done to the set.  Quite often you will find that the lengths are not what you want, but what irks me is when the shafts are bent at the hosel.  Those must be reshafted.  Often you will also find shaft lengths not to your liking, and you will have to trim and extend them.  The worst for me are the ones that have custom work done to the heads, in particular loft and lie angles; they are a deal-breaker for me because I do not have a bender.

Bent Shaft Tip.jpg

• Like 2

yeah it can be a pain. I'm a tall guy and I don't want to gather thing's I can't hit, thats just hoarding for me. So I have to factor bending extending price. 

• Like 2

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Long Irons: Ping Zings 2 Iron, 3 Iron 

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 or Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW or Hogan Redline's 1988 4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  , 80s Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  60s Wilson Sandy Andy

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

Ball: Yellow Srixon Q Stars

I hear you but 35-70 year old clubs passing through countless hands it just seems part of the deal. At least not too much of a surprise if it’s been messed with. Good thing we usually get stuff cheap.
 Don’t think I’ll ever be in the market purchasing the big buck highly desirable stuff but that’s gotta be scary to deal with for these reasons. Like all the rest of you I hope to stumble on those “The Chase” and maybe then pay the money to make em right again. 

• Like 2

Most often, the shaft lengths are incorrect, with some extreme variances from club to club.  There was one set of irons in which only one club had the correct length.  Here is a sample worksheet for club adjustments when I had to either extend or trim.

2 iron +1/4"

3 iron +7/16"

4 iron -1/4"

5 iron +1"

6 iron -1/2"

7 iron -1/8"

8 iron +3/16"

9 iron 0 (no adjustment needed)

PW +1/2"

SW +1/2"

I sometimes wonder if club companies back in the time were saving money on labor by hiring chimpanzees to install shafts.

I want a club bender, I just dont like the prices tbh

• Like 2

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Long Irons: Ping Zings 2 Iron, 3 Iron 

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 or Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW or Hogan Redline's 1988 4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  , 80s Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  60s Wilson Sandy Andy

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

Ball: Yellow Srixon Q Stars

Heck, given the random quality you find with used golf clubs, just for fun I might want to go visit the local dump.  Some dumps have a last-chance store that sells discarded goods far more cheaper than your local Goodwill or other thrift store.  You will definitely find golf clubs over there.  A buddy of mine went to this store and said that the golf clubs there are indeed junk and should be sent to the landfill.  He was lucky one day and found a used Ping Eye2 Laminated 3 wood for only $2, which he uses from time to time.  Aside from rare finds I reckon you are shopping for parts like shafts.  I think you might find something you can use.

Edited by EmperorPenguin
  • Like 2

In the UK much the same sort of things re discount stores is happening. But, and its a big but, fortunately, we have an enlightened Town Council that ha a 'Re-Use' cntre with golf clubs. Most are junk but for £2 I have picked up a close to mint set of Sounder persimmons and various other classic woods and putters, often in very good condition.

But even this won't last for ever. I feel like it's 'Last Orders, gentlemen, please !'

• Like 1

16 hours ago, EmperorPenguin said:

Heck, given the random quality you find with used golf clubs, just for fun I might want to go visit the local dump.  Some dumps have a last-chance store that sells discarded goods far more cheaper than your local Goodwill or other thrift store.  You will definitely find golf clubs over there.  A buddy of mine went to this store and said that the golf clubs there are indeed junk and should be sent to the landfill.  He was lucky one day and found a used Ping Eye2 Laminated 3 wood for only $2, which he uses from time to time.  Aside from rare finds I reckon you are shopping for parts like shafts.  I think you might find something you can use.

This would be fantastic....unfortunately, not so many local dumps are as enlightened. I have heard of some golf courses who drag their water hazzards & bring up clubs....don't know if they offer them or just toss, tho.

19 hours ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

I want a club bender too!  I think that would be a game changer for my collecting.

Have you thought of, at least till you find such a tool, of using a vise. It can be just a portable vise rather than one of those huge bench vises. I use on that I attached to an ER cart I bought. I've removed shafts, replaced same & no problems w/removal of grips or w/installing. Recently used another one to attach to the guardrail on my side porch to install grips. I use a grip thingy on the vise jaws to hold effeciently & avoid damage to shafts or hosels. 
I see no reason why such a setup could be used to adjust loft or lie....w/some kind of "cheater bar", after all you're only trying to change a few degrees, aren't you? 

Until you find that bending tool...affordable, cuz GolfWorks is selling them, but WOW the cost.

On 9/15/2023 at 12:45 PM, Maine Golfer said:

yeah it can be a pain. I'm a tall guy and I don't want to gather thing's I can't hit, thats just hoarding for me. So I have to factor bending extending price. 

Look I am not some guy that is a contrarian. That said, I am 6'3" 195lbs and 57 years old with a scheduled MRI to see how much worse my back has gotten.

So, my opinion of used golf clubs not fitting would go to this; my welding table was too low, my sink and counters are too low, my bike is too small and even the appliance dolly is too short (do not get me started on lawn equipment).

My point is, what!? All of a sudden you find yourself incapable of golf unless you are custom fitted. Let me please, ask you as nicely as I can to look up literally any article or book on the game of golf and it's rich history.

It is now and will forever be my opinion that golf is hard and golf builds character.

Nay wind: Nay Golf!!!!!!

I just came back from the dump.  I am in the market for a used long iron with a Dynamic Gold S300U shaft.  I have a long iron with a graphite shaft I want to reshaft with steel.  I was about to buy online a used 2 iron for $30 with plans of pulling that shaft, so I decided to give the local dump a try.  As you can see in the picture, there are many used clubs they sell for cheap.  Most of them are abominations, but a couple of them you can use.  I found a used 3 iron that is about 2" over length, and I paid about $5 for it.  They raised their prices, much to the dismay of regular customers who used to frequent there, but overall their prices are almost as high as thrift stores.  I bought the 3 iron for the shaft, and coming home I pulled the shaft and thankfully the diameter is correct (.370"), but the flex is regular and the shaft is slightly bent at the hosel (as pictured earlier).  I will be trimming from the tip end, which should stiffen the shaft slightly and will do away with that tiny bend, so I saved $25 by going to the dump.

Local Dump Golf Clubs 091923.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
44 minutes ago, EmperorPenguin said:

Get a load of this shaft pull, guys.  It comes from an old driver, so it is a .335" tip.  Given how he swung the club, he had evidently a batting average of under .010.  Lord, have mercy!

Bent Shaft 011424.jpg

That's so bent it's impressive. 

In what direction was the bend in relation to the face (or grip)? Was it bent backwards?

Can picture it vividly. Temporary tantrum after ineptitude slamming the club. 

My buddies son went through a few graphite driver shafts when he first started to play decent high school golf. In his mind just a couple old bad shafts. Without actually witnessing anything we all know what probably was the real answer. 

He now pays for his own shafts and suddenly no failures. Good for my buddy cuz his son has 170+ MPH ball speed. Cool seeing his improvement but also sad seeing his reliance on anything he watches/reads online which is his main source regardless what we say. Bad enough wanting the newest $459 driver but then believing needing the Xtra $300 dollar shaft is a must. Good thing he’s a hard worker. 

Lesson learned be careful what we wish for (ball speed) be greatfull we realize our limitations (physically, financially, realistically)

Edited by ezgoer

4 hours ago, EmperorPenguin said:

It was bent forward.  I suppose that severe mishits cause it to bend forward at impact.  I did not take a picture of the head when I pulled the shaft.  It was a knockoff Big Bertha.  It had part of the crown caved in, which again is a product of severe mishits.

Bent forward, and caved-in crown? 

That sounds like damage from a club slamming tantrum.

5 hours ago, ezgoer said:

Can picture it vividly. Temporary tantrum after ineptitude slamming the club. 

My buddies son went through a few graphite driver shafts when he first started to play decent high school golf. In his mind just a couple old bad shafts. Without actually witnessing anything we all know what probably was the real answer. 

He now pays for his own shafts and suddenly no failures. Good for my buddy cuz his son has 170+ MPH ball speed. Cool seeing his improvement but also sad seeing his reliance on anything he watches/reads online which is his main source regardless what we say. Bad enough wanting the newest $459 driver but then believing needing the Xtra $300 dollar shaft is a must. Good thing he’s a hard worker. 

Lesson learned be careful what we wish for (ball speed) be greatfull we realize our limitations (physically, financially, realistically)

When playing high school golf in the 70s I had a teammate who had a terrible temper.  One day he missed a shot on the final hole and after throwing the club proceeded to walk up the fairway throwing his glasses and punching himself in the face.  Later I took him aside and told him, as gently as I could, "look, you've already embarrassed yourself with the bad shot, why make it worse with that display of anger?"  It put a stop to the behavior.

However, he quit the game altogether shortly thereafter.  Too bad, because he was a talented player.  But it's a difficult game and some just don't have the temperament for it.  The failure is constant and the success is fleeting, but the sweetness of that success is what keeps some of us coming back.  

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

One would assume that with a golfer who consistently hits fat shots that the shaft would bend backward instead of forward.  Through my years of buying used clubs I find the opposite with the bend going forward instead of backward.  Is there a physics professor here to explain why the head would bend forward instead of back?  I am assuming for now that the golfer is consistently hitting fat shots.  The only other possibility is that the golfer is consistently hitting toward the heel of the club: the clubhead closes earlier and, thus, bends the club forward.  I suppose the same applies to fat shots, that the momentum of the clubhead forces the club face to shut early with the fat shot.  That is the only explanation I can think of.