Leather grip making questions

I emailed Tandy Leather over the weekend asking about appropriate thickness/weight for making grips. They put me onto a YouTube site "The Hickory Hacker", where leather & grips were featured (of course, he uses Tandy leather. Has anyone watched this site? Has anyone used Tandy leathers? 

Oh, it's made Dec '21, so there is approx 19 minutes of talk prior to actually getting down to the leathers

Here's the site: 

okay, just found out he now has his own website:  https://www.hickoryhacker.com. I'll check it out after I finish the grip video.

Edited by bcstones
  • Like 1

I use a modified version of Ralph Livingston's method for hickory grips. Its a good straightforward way of doing it.

Prior to making my own grips I made other leather goods, so I was very familiar with Tandy leather. More often than not they are going to be the best place for you to source your leather. I moved away from deer tan years ago, primarily because I prefer suede out grips and the suede on the deer tan was not what I was looking for. I've been using their Suede Split leather for the past 6ish years with little complaint.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, hollabachgt said:

I use a modified version of Ralph Livingston's method for hickory grips. Its a good straightforward way of doing it.

Prior to making my own grips I made other leather goods, so I was very familiar with Tandy leather. More often than not they are going to be the best place for you to source your leather. I moved away from deer tan years ago, primarily because I prefer suede out grips and the suede on the deer tan was not what I was looking for. I've been using their Suede Split leather for the past 6ish years with little complaint.

Thaks...great site. 
I also have been working w/leathers for a few decades (less in the past few years tho)...I did find it interesting that the Hacker dude tended to use the deer hide for putters. Actually was wondering if sharkskin would be usable for grips...someday I might try

Here's question I've got and never been able to resolve.

How do you impregnate leather with the tackiness you used to get on old style leather wraps as standard, eg Kinghorn Tacky Grips from the 1920s/30s.

Clearly there was a process but it appears to have been lost in the mists of time.

3 hours ago, The Aspidistra in the Hall said:

How do you impregnate leather with the tackiness you used to get on old style leather wraps as standard, eg Kinghorn Tacky Grips from the 1920s/30s.

Clearly there was a process but it appears to have been lost in the mists of time.

not sure, but could it be simply that the shiny side was placed against the shaft?

1 hour ago, bcstones said:

not sure, but could it be simply that the shiny side was placed against the shaft?

No, I'm afaid that's not correct, at least as far as the multiple makers of original tacky grips were concerned. Best not to confuse tacky with rough side, different animals !

• Like 1

On 10/6/2023 at 4:17 AM, The Aspidistra in the Hall said:

There are two companies (maybe more) that are doing that now.  GripMaster in Australia, and Best Grips in USA.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Two things: The finished texture of the raw leather and the type matter.
I'm on my second DIY sewn grip, the first one was done with a sample of 4oz thick calfskin. Using just heavy applications of leather conditioner I was able to get it to be quite tacky without being sticky. The second one is a putter grip done with a utility hide - it's not particularly tacky, but the surface isn't super smooth the way the calfskin sample I got was.

Tandy is liable to tell you the same thing, over-conditioned leather is tacky. Still, let us know what they reply...

• Like 1

What you say is correct and reflects pretty much what I have found over the last 20 years or so. I used a proprietory wax and oil concoction for many years, worked ok but smelled horrible. I also made my own replacement leather inserts for pre 1895 scarenecks, but that's another story.

But 'Tacky' grips are a thing, and involve a special preparation, maybe pine resin or something. 100 years ago grip companies were competing to make the best tacky grip. 'The Kinghorn Tacky Grip', 'Balmforths Tacky Grip', were embossed on every grip....I kept a couple but I can't find them, only a 'Kinghorn Accraplus', maybe a plethora of house moves have done for them

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Aspidistra in the Hall said:

What you say is correct and reflects pretty much what I have found over the last 20 years or so. I used a proprietory wax and oil concoction for many years, worked ok but smelled horrible. I also made my own replacement leather inserts for pre 1895 scarenecks, but that's another story.

But 'Tacky' grips are a thing, and involve a special preparation, maybe pine resin or something. 100 years ago grip companies were competing to make the best tacky grip. 'The Kinghorn Tacky Grip', 'Balmforths Tacky Grip', were embossed on every grip....I kept a couple but I can't find them, only a 'Kinghorn Accraplus', maybe a plethora of house moves have done for them

Side note, EB Balmforth appear to making Fairway grips again. They have an eBay store.

Edited by AdamMH
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AdamMH said:

Side note, EB Balmforth appear to making Fairway grips again. They have an eBay store.

Thank you, I didn't know that. When I was running hickory events and trading playable hickories I got my grips from Balmforths at their Victorian and Dickensian premises in Leeds. They closed down having sold the site for redevelopment some time in the late '90's. I went a couple of times to Mark's house in North Yorkshire to pick up some supplies but then he retired completely.

• Like 1

Just heard fro Tandy:

”Thank you for reaching back out to us. It looks like there are a few options to get the tacky grip on your clubs. One being the purchase of Golf Tac grip enhancer which is made for this purpose. Another way that I saw was using a hair spray, however in having dealt with hair spray this seems like my least favorable option as I feel like it would easily wear off. For an old-fashioned alternative would be to put a couple drops of castor oil on the leather, rub it in, let it sit over night. Now you've got a nice, tacky old-school leather grip.

With all of this if you are adding something to leather make sure you spot test before using it all over. “

Castor Oil! Bad memories from long past 😂
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, bcstones said:

Just heard fro Tandy:

”Thank you for reaching back out to us. It looks like there are a few options to get the tacky grip on your clubs. One being the purchase of Golf Tac grip enhancer which is made for this purpose. Another way that I saw was using a hair spray, however in having dealt with hair spray this seems like my least favorable option as I feel like it would easily wear off. For an old-fashioned alternative would be to put a couple drops of castor oil on the leather, rub it in, let it sit over night. Now you've got a nice, tacky old-school leather grip.

With all of this if you are adding something to leather make sure you spot test before using it all over. “

Castor Oil! Bad memories from long past 😂

This makes sense! Many leather conditions have castor oil as part of their ingredients. I may have to see if I can find a bottle.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bcstones said:

I checked this out...it's some kind of spray can that's available from Dick's & their Golf Galaxy stores...sure is not what was used in the '20s & '30s though 🥸

seems that Castor Oil is available....even "cold pressed & organic" 😂

It is available. In larger quantities it is used to make Ricin.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Aspidistra in the Hall said:

It is available. In larger quantities it is used to make Ricin.

actually it doesn't take a large amount....one castor bean is enough to kill a few people. It's a nasty thing, don't know why people grow it. Tho I did find a reference that someone tried to use it as a shield to keep deer out of the garden - the deer ate the leaves, left the pods & went on into the garden😂