What Classic-Era Putter Are You Gaming?

1 hour ago, ezgoer said:

Practice???? Maybe after my putter fitting. Oh wait I forgot about my ball fitting……Sure a half dozen putts as I’m rushing to first tee will be good enough if those fittings are any good. 

"putter fitting" - are you making a decorative cover for your putter?
"ball fitting" - are you painting funny faces on the ball?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ezgoer said:

Practice???? Maybe after my putter fitting. Oh wait I forgot about my ball fitting……Sure a half dozen putts as I’m rushing to first tee will be good enough if those fittings are any good. 

1 hour ago, bcstones said:

"putter fitting" - are you making a decorative cover for your putter?
"ball fitting" - are you painting funny faces on the ball?

I get it :classic_laugh:.  We can get the rest of our equipment fitted, why not?  Let me know how it works out.  

While we're at it, can we get a bag fitting?  Asking for a friend :classic_smile:.  He says his bag is shot, and his clubs won't be seen in public with it.  

• Haha 1

Yes, apparently if you can’t shoot the scores you’d like you’re probably playing with poorly fit equipment as #1 reason no questions asked. As if we are all 8 years old and playing with our fathers hand me down stuff. Probably be this way until PING/Callaway/Taylor Made gets into worldwide driving range/practice facility business. 

I recently stumbled on the reason John Daily gives for why he has such a long backswing. Check that out. Recommended idk about that but it sure worked for him. Demons got him more than anything else. 

Edited by ezgoer
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Thinset said:

I get it :classic_laugh:.  We can get the rest of our equipment fitted, why not?  Let me know how it works out.  

While we're at it, can we get a bag fitting?  Asking for a friend :classic_smile:.  He says his bag is shot, and his clubs won't be seen in public with it.  

This next level is actually a 'thing' now, get custom fit shoes for golf !

Where did it all go wrong and we let the lunatic fringe have sway over such a great game?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Aspidistra in the Hall said:

Where did it all go wrong and we let the lunatic fringe have sway over such a great game?

I have always taken a very systematic approach to club fitting, including putters.

Pick it up, waggle it, hit it. If it feels right, keep it. If it doesn't feel right, move on and repeat until it does.

Does it need to be anymore complicated than that?

Surprised me on several occasions but never failed me yet!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ezgoer said:

... As if we are all 8 years old and playing with our fathers hand me down stuff.

I use the 2-way putter my father gave me when he surrendered the game to age.  Not every time out, but it's in (a loose sort of) rotation.  It's as good as anything else I putt with, and much better than putting with my wedge.  

3 hours ago, The Aspidistra in the Hall said:

I know 2 guys that play wearing sandals.  Apparently, I don't know enough about this game :classic_blink:.

18 minutes ago, bcstones said:

That's good to know - since I wear sandals some 10 - 11 months out of the year & my golf shoes got trashed

From the interweb: 

"The outsole of our flip flop golf shoes... equipped with flexible active... grip treads for maximum traction on the course. This feature ensures... solid footing while swinging and walking... "

Go for it :classic_smile:.  

Initially, I see wearing them and pointing to my feet as an operative avoidance measure to searching the woods and weeds for errant shots by hapless playing partners. 

But then, you guys could be tougher than that.  

• Haha 1

@Thinset - naw, not really interested...I've one leg significantly shorter than the other, requiring a build-up of one sandle/shoe. So the sandals I wear are Chaco's. Which not only can have that build-up, but can be resoled, restrapped....Just something I have to be aware of in purchasing footwear

Edited by bcstones

IMG_2229.jpeg.813e80f073ddc9c6fe5d63d4d085dbf1.jpeg

Here you go. Apparently Footjoy still sells them. I had a pair years ago and loved them. I was a golf course superintendent so was around fert./chemicals all the time and didn’t think twice about it. Nowadays I probably wouldn’t. Not any worse now than then with those products at any course really but maybe got a little smarter. They were very uncomfortable after getting in a sand trap. Probably in a closet somewhere. 

Edited by ezgoer
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, ezgoer said:

Here you go. Apparently Footjoy still sells them. I had a pair years ago and loved them. I was a golf course superintendent so was around fert./chemicals all the time and didn’t think twice about it. Nowadays I probably wouldn’t. Not any worse now than then with those products at any course really but maybe got a little smarter. They were very uncomfortable after getting in a sand trap. Probably in a closet somewhere. 

image.png.4764db9e24a692c2c655ceb035fc590a.png

these are the sandals I've been wearing for over 15 years (I have a couple of pair...so when needed to be resoled or the strapping replaced, I wear the other till it needs work done) Yeah, cost is a bit more ($100 - $120) but take into account that the repairs cost less than new...they are a great buy.
Hadn't thought about wearing them for golfing...but I can but try. 

OOPs! Just noticed this pair has the toe thingy, mine are without that thing https://www.chacos.com/US/en/z-1-classic-sandal/24081M.html?dwvar_24081M_color=JCH108687#cgid=mens-z-sandals&start=1

Edited by bcstones

3 hours ago, ezgoer said:

IMG_2229.jpeg.813e80f073ddc9c6fe5d63d4d085dbf1.jpeg

Mostly awesome on course playing.  I have a pair, but left them up north at the real home.  Only so much room in the Jeep coming south. Too much dampness/dew and I tend to slide around in them.  Sand is def not good either.  

Oh, NO SOCKS!  I may be old, but I'm not ancient.  LMAO!

Edited by SnowbirdTom
  • Haha 1

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver Aerotech Ti-Fiber Tour 70 stiff

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 & 7 woods Aerotech Ti-Fiber Tour 70 stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid Kai-Li 95x 

Srixon ZX-7 4/5 irons KBS $-taper 120

Srixon Z-Forged II 6-PW KBS $-taper 120

Cleveland ZipCore RTX Tour Raw 52/56

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO lightweight caddy cart bag on MGI Zip AT

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

19 hours ago, Thinset said:

From the interweb: 

"The outsole of our flip flop golf shoes... equipped with flexible active... grip treads for maximum traction on the course. This feature ensures... solid footing while swinging and walking... "

Go for it :classic_smile:.  

Initially, I see wearing them and pointing to my feet as an operative avoidance measure to searching the woods and weeds for errant shots by hapless playing partners. 

But then, you guys could be tougher than that.  

Now, if you're in the habit of chastising yourself by wacking a putter, wedge or whatever, against the outer sole of your shoe, things could go badly wrong wearing flipflops.

15 hours ago, bcstones said:

image.png.4764db9e24a692c2c655ceb035fc590a.png

these are the sandals I've been wearing for over 15 years (I have a couple of pair...so when needed to be resoled or the strapping replaced, I wear the other till it needs work done) Yeah, cost is a bit more ($100 - $120) but take into account that the repairs cost less than new...they are a great buy.
Hadn't thought about wearing them for golfing...but I can but try. 

OOPs! Just noticed this pair has the toe thingy, mine are without that thing https://www.chacos.com/US/en/z-1-classic-sandal/24081M.html?dwvar_24081M_color=JCH108687#cgid=mens-z-sandals&start=1

Those are also good for fighting lions.

• Haha 4

On 11/1/2023 at 5:37 AM, Monstrocity said:

As I build a classic bag, it's time to talk putters.  

• What classic-era putter are you using? 
  • Do you use a persimmon-era putter in your modern bag? 
  • If you only also use a classic putter; how does your persimmon-era putter compare to your modern putter? 

*Edit for grammar.  

Not sure what "classic-era" is exactly, but I putt with a Bullseye blade.

24 minutes ago, Louis_Posture said:

I have in my collection a Cameron Bullseye blade style putter once owned by Notah Begay.

Bullseye.jpg

Bullseye2.jpg

Bullseye3.jpg

Like it man thanks for posting and sharing

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

On 11/2/2023 at 3:24 PM, Maine Golfer said:

Pings (I have a thread going).

I love the look of the Zebra and painted mine up, but can't lag put with it. I have fun on a practice green sometimes with mine, but I can't play effectively with it. 

image.png.00ad56a2f05092e2c45fbdbe3578a5c8.png

Yeah but ain't it fun to try? I have a bunch of putters that I like the looks and history on but cannot putt a hoot with. But I change them out on my vintage rounds part of my fun.

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

For a classic bag contemporary with persimmon woods, when given only once choice, the best putter I can recommend is a Sportsman George Low Wizard 600 putter.  I have tried the 8802, but the Wizard 600 has a more square look at address; the 8802 looks like the back corners have been hacked off.  When I bought my first Wizard 600 I fell in love with it and bought a couple more.  It just feels better to me than an 8802.  Jack used one most of his career, thanks to George Low who either gave him one or sold it to him back in Phoenix during Jack's rookie season on Tour.  Jack's putter won more majors for him than Tiger's venerable Scotty.

It is unrealistic to find the model Wizard 600 pictured below, but the remakes with "Original" stamped on them are very, very good.  I own two of them.

Other putters I can recommend are a Bulls Eye Old Standard, a Ping Anser, and a Ping Kushin.  I own them all, and they are great putters to go along with persimmons.

Jack and George Low With The Wizard 600 Putter.jpg

Edited by EmperorPenguin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, EmperorPenguin said:

For a classic bag contemporary with persimmon woods, when given only once choice, the best putter I can recommend is a Sportsman George Low Wizard 600 putter.  I have tried the 8802, but the Wizard 600 has a more square look at address; the 8802 looks like the back corners have been hacked off.  When I bought my first Wizard 600 I fell in love with it and bought a couple more.  It just feels better to me than an 8802.  Jack used one most of his career, thanks to George Low who either gave him one or sold it to him back in Phoenix during Jack's rookie season on Tour.  Jack's putter won more majors for him than Tiger's venerable Scotty.

It is unrealistic to find the model Wizard 600 pictured below, but the remakes with "Original" stamped on them are very, very good.  I own two of them.

Other putters I can recommend are a Bulls Eye Old Standard, a Ping Anser, and a Ping Kushin.  I own them all, and they are great putters to go along with persimmons.

Jack and George Low With The Wizard 600 Putter.jpg

While I fell in love with an Iron Master a 8802 topped that for me. I know what you’re saying about it being rounded off heel and toe. 8802 seems a little wider to me. IM’s seem a little more upright also. For myself it’s slightly easier to center strike more consistently than the IM. My 80’s remake Mac IMG is a very close 2nd for my favorite putters and love playing it whenever I do. Whatever 600 variation I can get my hands on is in the list of my current searches.

I’m regular gaming a set of Bridgestone J’s Professional Weapon irons and a 8802 putter and would love to find a Bridgestone Jumbo Ozaki putter. I know he was fond of Mac IM5’s and I believe there was limited 600 series models made also. Kinda rare over here and up to $150 pricey but I’m not giving up on it. Lot of them used graphite shafts though so that sucks but imagine a 600 style putter with an LA Lab shaft added on. I know empty your wallet but that would be a unique as hell putter. 

Edited by ezgoer
  • Like 1

On 11/3/2023 at 1:42 PM, Foozle said:

I have always taken a very systematic approach to club fitting, including putters.

Pick it up, waggle it, hit it. If it feels right, keep it. If it doesn't feel right, move on and repeat until it does.

I was reminded of the Jimmy Demaret quotation, ' Long hitters, the woods are full of them', and another line which stated

'Cr*p Putters, the ponds are full of them !'

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Yeah but ain't it fun to try? I have a bunch of putters that I like the looks and history on but cannot putt a hoot with. But I change them out on my vintage rounds part of my fun.

totally and it makes me think about what I like about the one's I do play better with. 

• Like 1

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Long Irons: Ping Zings 2 Iron, 3 Iron 

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 , Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW , Wilson X31's 1970 2 to PW , Hogan Redline's 1988  4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  ,  Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  Wilson Sandy Andy (57 degrees)

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

Ball:  high number Pro V1's