2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Sun Mountain C130S Stand Bag Club Tangle

pgetzen

I bought a Ping Hoofer 14 stand bag this year.  I did read about club tangle issues, but thought it would work for me for a couple of reasons.  I use regular size grips (not midsize or jumbo) and 99 percent of the time it’s on my golf cart.  The reason I like a stand bag are the times I am at the range and want my whole bag there, and for golf trips where I want the convenience of the stand.  However, the Ping club tangle is really bugging me, so I am wondering if the C130S would be a lot better?  I like the 14 way organizers, but maybe should get a 4-6 way divider instead?  Thanks for any thoughts on either the Sun Mountain, or a different bag with fewer dividers.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond
PXG 0211 (15)

PXG 0211 (19)
PXG Gen 6 0311P 5-AW
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54, 58
Seemore Mini Giant DF

1 hour ago, pgetzen said:

I bought a Ping Hoofer 14 stand bag this year.  I did read about club tangle issues, but thought it would work for me for a couple of reasons.  I use regular size grips (not midsize or jumbo) and 99 percent of the time it’s on my golf cart.  The reason I like a stand bag are the times I am at the range and want my whole bag there, and for golf trips where I want the convenience of the stand.  However, the Ping club tangle is really bugging me, so I am wondering if the C130S would be a lot better?  I like the 14 way organizers, but maybe should get a 4-6 way divider instead?  Thanks for any thoughts on either the Sun Mountain, or a different bag with fewer dividers.

Do ya carry?

that's a pretty hefty one to carry

Just go with one of the smaller SM bags.  I currently have the 2.5+ which is awesome, but probably too small for you?  It's totally functional and an ultralight bag.  Also have carried a 3.5 as well.  Hell the 2.5+ does come in a 14 divider version if that's super important to you

Yadi for President

1 hour ago, BYK said:

Do ya carry?

that's a pretty hefty one to carry

Just go with one of the smaller SM bags.  I currently have the 2.5+ which is awesome, but probably too small for you?  It's totally functional and an ultralight bag.  Also have carried a 3.5 as well.  Hell the 2.5+ does come in a 14 divider version if that's super important to you

Almost never.  It’s on my golf cart almost all of the time

PXG 0211 (15)

PXG 0211 (19)
PXG Gen 6 0311P 5-AW
Seemore Mini Giant DF

The c130s will be pretty much perfect for you. Each slot has a fully enclosed divider that seals to the bottom of the bag so you will have basically no club tangle. The hoofer doesn’t have 14 dividers (except for the top piece) and the dividers it does have only go 2/3rds of the way down. It’ll be a night and day difference for you imo. 

5 minutes ago, WiscoLefty said:

The c130s will be pretty much perfect for you. Each slot has a fully enclosed divider that seals to the bottom of the bag so you will have basically no club tangle. The hoofer doesn’t have 14 dividers (except for the top piece) and the dividers it does have only go 2/3rds of the way down. It’ll be a night and day difference for you imo. 

Appreciate the response.  Seems like that’s the bag to go with.

PXG 0211 (15)

PXG 0211 (19)
PXG Gen 6 0311P 5-AW
Seemore Mini Giant DF

12 minutes ago, WiscoLefty said:

How durable is the flap that activates the legs and how do you think it would work on a bag boy push cart?

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

6 hours ago, pgetzen said:

i have used the last 3 versions of the c130s and never had an issue with club tangle. The only downside to the bag is the umbrella holder comes loose

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MikeW2 said:

How durable is the flap that activates the legs and how do you think it would work on a bag boy push cart?

I don’t own the bag personally so can’t speak to durability. The bag has those little bungee cords to hold the legs in when you’re not using them so I assume that would help on a push cart. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, WiscoLefty said:

I don’t own the bag personally so can’t speak to durability. The bag has those little bungee cords to hold the legs in when you’re not using them so I assume that would help on a push cart. 

Ty

Ping Tour 60* wedge

45 minutes ago, Unteachable said:

i have used the last 3 versions of the c130s and never had an issue with club tangle. The only downside to the bag is the umbrella holder comes loose

As someone that’s used this bag for awhile, could you speak to the questions I asked above? How is durability of the flap and how does it sit on a push cart? Thanks

Ping Tour 60* wedge

I have a Clicgear 3.5 with the Tour Bag Kit and it doesn’t fit the C130S well. The bottom mount puts a lot of pressure on the stand mechanism. I expect it to break one day, but discovered it too late to return. 

The bag itself is great minus that fit issue. I came from a Ping and loved the bag except for the “dividers” that were not full length, even though most places seem to say they are or it’s rarely talked about. I learned the hard way that it was just a top and my clubs tangled and grips wore out too quick. 

The C130s are full dividers and I don’t get pressure, except for sometimes on the front putter slot when I have my Clicgear top strap too tight. When I do that, it seems to make the pocket smaller and you have to put the putter in the right angle or it’ll start rubbing on the grip and putting extra wear. 

If I can figure out a permanent fix (looking for a thin piece of wood) to slide under the rear mount to alleviate the pressure on the mechanism, I can see the bag to last a few years. 

If it fits your cart, I would highly recommend it. And if you mostly ride, I would definitely recommend it. 

Edited by absoludicrous
Typo
  • Like 2

I will probably end up with the C130s stand bag, but as a last quick question, are there any other bags that would fit the bill of a bag with a stand but roomy full length 14 way dividers?  Maybe the Vessel or Ghost bags?  Or possibly a Sun Mountain 4.5?  Just trying to get the best information, thanks

PXG 0211 (15)

PXG 0211 (19)
PXG Gen 6 0311P 5-AW
Seemore Mini Giant DF

19 hours ago, pgetzen said:

I will probably end up with the C130s stand bag, but as a last quick question, are there any other bags that would fit the bill of a bag with a stand but roomy full length 14 way dividers?  Maybe the Vessel or Ghost bags?  Or possibly a Sun Mountain 4.5?  Just trying to get the best information, thanks

The other ones I’d look at would be Sun mountain 4.5 and titleist 14 hybrid. They both fit what you’re looking for so it would just be up to personal preference. Some people have complained about vessel tangle and others say they have no issue so I’m not sure there. I’m not familiar with ghost. 

10 minutes ago, WiscoLefty said:

The other ones I’d look at would be Sun mountain 4.5 and titleist 14 hybrid. They both fit what you’re looking for so it would just be up to personal preference. Some people have complained about vessel tangle and others say they have no issue so I’m not sure there. I’m not familiar with ghost. 

Thanks for the comments

• Like 1

PXG 0211 (15)

PXG 0211 (19)
PXG Gen 6 0311P 5-AW
Seemore Mini Giant DF

Not sure if the OP has made a purchase yet, but just my 2 cents.  I am in the same boat - walk with a cart 70% of the time and ride the other 30%.  Never carry on course, but do put in a lot of range time so a stand bag is needed and just a lot more convenient.  I go have 2 bags that i go back and forth with.  The C130S and the Ping Hoofer Tour.  I have a Clicgear cart which I use for both and i did put the CG Bag Cozy on it to help with twisting on the cart.  I also have a set of Alphard E-Wheels on the cart (battery operated with remote) so it can get jostled around quite a bit more than if you are just pushing the cart.  Both bags are great, but if I had to choose between them I would probably choose the C130S.  It just sets up a little bit better when used on either a riding cart or the push / battery CG.  Pockets are numerous and well laid out.  I have not had any issues with the durability of the bottom flap mechanism.  Always works great - i have had other stand bags with issues on the top where the legs meet the bag.  The plastic "rivet" that is there can break, but again no issues with the 130S.  As an aside, i did have an issue with the Ping, but called their customer service and they sent new ones out right away.  

• Like 2

Ping G430 10K w/ Chrome Tour 2.0
Ping G430 3W  

Ping G410 3H, 4H

Ping i525 6-PW Project X IO
Cleveland CBX 2 48*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56*
LAB Mezz Max 

Alphard V2 wheels

I too own the C130S, had it for at least two seasons, no issues at all, I have a Nitron push cart and the bag fit without any problems, the legs work just fine and the zippers are still in "like new" condition, it's actually 15 way with full dividers, you will not be disappointed, Sun Mountain make really good equipment, hope you find the one that works for you, take care.

• Like 1

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

@cfmgolf @Boricua Golf have either one of you had any issue with the putter grip catching the fabric as you pull it out of the well? I use an oversized grip and hate when it catches.

Ping Tour 60* wedge

@MikeW2  I have the Super Stoke 2.0 on my Spider, and have not noticed that it catches much - every now and then if I try to take it out at a weird angle.  Nothing that ever caused me to question it.  Earlier in this thread (or another thread i read earlier - memory isn't what it used to be)  I think someone mentioned that the top strap on the Clic Gear cart can sometimes be pretty tight as this is a large bag.  I did run into this, and just adjusted the strap loose enough not to bind.  With the bag cozy it never moves so having the strap on the looser side would help with this.  The strap digging in will make the putter well smaller so just something to consider.  Hope this helps.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

• Like 1

Ping G430 10K w/ Chrome Tour 2.0
Ping G430 3W  

Ping G410 3H, 4H

Ping i525 6-PW Project X IO
Cleveland CBX 2 48*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56*
LAB Mezz Max 

Alphard V2 wheels

1 minute ago, cfmgolf said:

@MikeW2  I have the Super Stoke 2.0 on my Spider, and have not noticed that it catches much - every now and then if I try to take it out at a weird angle.  Nothing that ever caused me to question it.  Earlier in this thread (or another thread i read earlier - memory isn't what it used to be)  I think someone mentioned that the top strap on the Clic Gear cart can sometimes be pretty tight as this is a large bag.  I did run into this, and just adjusted the strap loose enough not to bind.  With the bag cozy it never moves so having the strap on the looser side would help with this.  The strap digging in will make the putter well smaller so just something to consider.  Hope this helps.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you!

Ping Tour 60* wedge

@MikeW2 The largest grip I had was the 17" flatso for one of my putters and it was a bit tight not bad though, just had to get used to the angle that made less contact, since re-shafting my Scotty with the Stability shaft I paired it with the flatso 1.0 and I have no issues at all (It's almost normal size)...

• Like 1

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

4 hours ago, Boricua Golf said:

@MikeW2 The largest grip I had was the 17" flatso for one of my putters and it was a bit tight not bad though, just had to get used to the angle that made less contact, since re-shafting my Scotty with the Stability shaft I paired it with the flatso 1.0 and I have no issues at all (It's almost normal size)...

Great to hear, thanks!

Ping Tour 60* wedge

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for their replies on this thread.  After thinking about a few bags, I ended up ordering the C130S stand bag through my club.  Should get it in about a month (after course logo and name embroidered on).  Looking forward to getting it!

PXG 0211 (15)

PXG 0211 (19)
PXG Gen 6 0311P 5-AW
Seemore Mini Giant DF