Which Boutique Putter Should I Buy?

1 minute ago, williaza said:

Talked to him last week..he charges 2200 now?! 

From the price he was originally at to now it went up. But I've seen zero posts from him since. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

2 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

From the price he was originally at to now it went up. But I've seen zero posts from him since. 

Oh so he didn’t triple price lol ok…I had one made by him $750 shipped took him about 3 weeks..was great work and that’s much cheaper than any other boutique guy except Mann and TP 

if I didn’t love the artisan I would get other Hudson’s 

3 minutes ago, williaza said:

Oh so he didn’t triple price lol ok…I had one made by him $750 shipped took him about 3 weeks..was great work and that’s much cheaper than any other boutique guy except Mann and TP 

if I didn’t love the artisan I would get other Hudson’s 

His prices before were much cheaper, he's now starting customs at $750 USD which I believe he was cheaper at before. 

But I just checked his site and noticed he still sells blank heads cheap so not awful. But his prices for me even being Canadian are too much for a custom. A blank head I'd buy. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

1 minute ago, MattM97 said:

His prices before were much cheaper, he's now starting customs at $750 USD which I believe he was cheaper at before. 

But I just checked his site and noticed he still sells blank heads cheap so not awful. But his prices for me even being Canadian are too much for a custom. A blank head I'd buy. 

So if you wouldn’t buy him at $750 who would you buy for more? 

8 minutes ago, williaza said:

Not including who I have which is: 

Cody James

MackMade 

Coggin Machine & Design

Ping PLD (almost done) 

I'd say: 

Artisan

MannKrafted 

Brandon Matthew

Kevin Burns (copper insert or 1 piece milled) 

Not sure who else there is for me to buy. 

That's really it I've bought from almost everyone I've wanted to buy from at either under 750 or more. 

Edited by MattM97

Lefty - WITB Thread

5 minutes ago, williaza said:

I wouldn't buy him for $750 either.  He doesnt do anything really unique or worth that price tag IMO.  You turn around and try to resell that $750 putter and you'll be lucky to get $300.  Take a Brandon Matthew for $900 and it'll still resell for $600. 

At $750 I'll take a Mills, Mann or Lajosi and Kevin Burns!  For much less you can get a custom Royal Payne or TruBlue exactly how you want it. Spend a few extra bucks and get a mackmade at closer to $900. I missed my chance at a Mackmade when he was charging 550! I should have pulled the trigger then. 

Edited by 5hort5tuff
  • Like 2

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

2 minutes ago, 5hort5tuff said:

I wouldn't buy him for $750 either.  He doesnt do anything really unique or worth that price tag IMO.  You turn around and try to resell that $750 putter and you'll be lucky to get $300.  Take a Brandon Matthew for $900 and it'll still resell for $600. 

At $750 I'll take a Mills, Mann or Lajosi and Kevin Burns!  For much less you can get a custom Royal Payne or TruBlue exactly how you want it. Spend a few extra bucks and get a mackmade at closer to $900. I missed my chance at a Mackmade when he was charging 550! I should have pulled the trigger then. 

Wow yea I guess I see what you’re saying..I just go by milling and build qualit…Brandon Matthew was SO bad lol guy charges over 1k..Mackmade are made with zero sole draft and set up closed..he also measures lie very oddly..didn’t like my 3…Mann was good but my Hudson was better 

btw I sold my Hudson for 550 

4 minutes ago, williaza said:

Mann was good but my Hudson was better 

Must not have liked it that much if you sold it. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

5 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Must not have liked it that much if you sold it. 

Have two didn’t really want to carbon anymore..

Also out of your list idk..I think it’s unfair 

Cody James is 1100 minimum 

artisan is 950-1k

mackmade is $900 (and I have some issues with his putters) 

CMD is 1k+ (and you can’t order them and he can barely weld) 

that’s all quite a bit more than Hudson at $750 

Mann is a good comp..I liked my Hudson better but that’s fair 

and anyone who says Brandon Matthew is insane…sorry worst out there and for insane prices 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, williaza said:

Wow yea I guess I see what you’re saying..I just go by milling and build qualit…Brandon Matthew was SO bad lol guy charges over 1k..Mackmade are made with zero sole draft and set up closed..he also measures lie very oddly..didn’t like my 3…Mann was good but my Hudson was better 

I dont see BM as so bad/the worst like you say. Honestly his work is nice and his style is very recognizable. His covers and grips are high quality. So, it is possible you had a bad experience with him, I cant argue with that, but his work speaks for itself imo. 

Nice for getting 550 for the Hudson, but I've never seen another up for grabs and have never met another person who even knows about the brand.  It's just not recognizable! 

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 

BBFandCo Roulette
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

1 minute ago, 5hort5tuff said:

I dont see BM as so bad/the worst like you say. Honestly his work is nice and his style is very recognizable. His covers and grips are high quality. So, it is possible you had a bad experience with him, I cant argue with that, but his work speaks for itself imo. 

Nice for getting 550 for the Hudson, but I've never seen another up for grabs and have never met another person who even knows about the brand.  It's just not recognizable! 

There are quite a few issues documented in the BM thread here…his builds are terrible and his machining is so-so 

3 minutes ago, williaza said:

There are quite a few issues documented in the BM thread here…his builds are terrible and his machining is so-so 

Fair enough...but when he posts a putter for sale...its gone in 5 seconds.  He does nice work and people like it.  I do agree that 1k is too much aswell, but based on what others are charging, like CMD or Artisan etc etc, people will pay it. 

I often complain about the price of customs now, but the reality is, people will pay big bucks for then tmmn these days.  CMD just sold a 1 off Christmas themed ball market for $620....guys like me without the big bucks in my pocket are being left behind lol

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 

BBFandCo Roulette
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

Just now, 5hort5tuff said:

Fair enough...but when he posts a putter for sale...its gone in 5 seconds.  He does nice work and people like it.  I do agree that 1k is too much aswell, but based on what others are charging, like CMD or Artisan etc etc, people will pay it. 

I often complain about the price of customs now, but the reality is, people will pay big bucks for then tmmn these days.  CMD just sold a 1 off Christmas themed ball market for $620....guys like me without the big bucks in my pocket are being left behind lol

Eh his last putter drop took a few days..but I agree he has marketing and his stamps are cool and people fall for it 

and I totally agree I don’t blame the 1k+ price..I love my artisan

Just giving my opinion on Hudson being $750 and on par or better than any other custom guy..he just doesn’t have a “cool logo” yet..like that so so so so cool ghost…hahaha 

1 hour ago, williaza said:

Have two didn’t really want to carbon anymore..

Also out of your list idk..I think it’s unfair 

Cody James is 1100 minimum 

artisan is 950-1k

mackmade is $900 (and I have some issues with his putters) 

CMD is 1k+ (and you can’t order them and he can barely weld) 

that’s all quite a bit more than Hudson at $750 

Mann is a good comp..I liked my Hudson better but that’s fair 

and anyone who says Brandon Matthew is insane…sorry worst out there and for insane prices 

I got my CJ before his recent price bump I think mine started at 900 but Cody is awesome on the CNC and I roll it well despite my specs changing recently.

Artisan for sure but it's custom fit and much nicer to my eye and more shape options.

CMD I got before his last 2 price increases, if I didn't do multi metal on mine would have been less than a Hudson and another one I like. Plus most guys cannot weld.

I just had a used BM was decent but not in a setup I would play I just like his No.2 shape. He's on a potential list for me but many ahead.

Honestly for me I'd just contact Kevin Burns again and I can get an awesome putter both milled and design starting at $600. I have one from him, gonna sell it (spec change) and buy another but that's me.

I think we can agree there are a lot of options of what we have all listed, we all like various things and dislike others too. Probably a reason I've slowed down on putters is cause I'm more and more picky.

That's fair with MackMade I had him make a shape not available in LH from any maker so

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

I’m staying with my recommendation and picking Mann or Lajosi for a custom. They’re cheaper cost wise but still very very good/excellent work and can do what ever you want like the “big boys”.

• Like 1

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

14 hours ago, eddiebigeddie said:

I’m staying with my recommendation and picking Mann or Lajosi for a custom. They’re cheaper cost wise but still very very good/excellent work and can do what ever you want like the “big boys”.

I do find it amusing that you call the "big boys" the ones who are here today and gone next year or never really pan out.  There are a lot of "one hit wonders" that show up every year.  If I'm buying a new flatstick it's from someone like Lajosi, Mills or MannKrafted who are tried and true and can do anything you want just like the big boys.  I guess we all have our big boy list and our wannabe’s list. 

Edited by oneaugusta

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

5 minutes ago, oneaugusta said:

I do find it amusing that you call the "big boys" the ones who are here today and gone next year or never really pan out.  There are a lot of "one hit wonders" that show up very year.  If I'm buying a new flatstick it's from someone like Lajosi, Mills or MannKrafted who are tried and true and can do anything you want just like the big boys.

I agree…was really meaning “big boys” on their pricing and cough cough “social media ego’s”. 

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

On 12/26/2023 at 1:39 AM, MattM97 said:

At a cool $265, those blank heads are a steal. But what about the same "custom" heads going for a whopping $1050 with botched stamping and in black paint? Tough look. A bit of a head-scratcher for any self-respecting putter maker selling blanks, don't you think?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyLite said:

Just added a Kevin Burns 1 piece to the collection. Curious why he isn't talked about more, especially given his tenure in the industry.

Kevin does amazing work I think for a while he was trying different things just look at his IG page with different putter themes, definitely much cleaner overall with what's on the putter but I think for many it's too clean and basic. Also maybe people don't realize can get a regular face milling and not the pyramid grooves. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

8 hours ago, BobbyLite said:

Just added a Kevin Burns 1 piece to the collection. Curious why he isn't talked about more, especially given his tenure in the industry.

He doesnt exactly have the most robust social media presence.  I really do like his head shapes and neck styles. Makes a very clean stick. 

I had one done a few years back, it didnt work out exactly how I thought, but hes a top notch putter maker.   He has recently decreased the custom options he offered, which may limit some. 

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 

BBFandCo Roulette
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

15 hours ago, oneaugusta said:

I do find it amusing that you call the "big boys" the ones who are here today and gone next year or never really pan out.  There are a lot of "one hit wonders" that show up every year.  If I'm buying a new flatstick it's from someone like Lajosi, Mills or MannKrafted who are tried and true and can do anything you want just like the big boys.  I guess we all have our big boy list and our wannabe’s list. 

Who would be a “big boy” 

This is strictly my opinion, I'm sure I will miss someone who has been making quality putters for a long time.

Big Boy list:

TP Mills "David"

Lamont @ MannKrafted

Bettinardi

Lajosi

Tad Moore

Piretti

Kenny Giannini

Kevin Burns

Clay Long

The Late Byron Morgan

Maybe Scotty Cameron although I don't consider his OTR putters as good as many.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S

Byron Rincon DH89

1 hour ago, oneaugusta said:

This is strictly my opinion, I'm sure I will miss someone who has been making quality putters for a long time.

Big Boy list:

TP Mills "David"

Lamont @ MannKrafted

Bettinardi

Lajosi

Tad Moore

Piretti

Kenny Giannini

Kevin Burns

Clay Long

The Late Byron Morgan

Maybe Scotty Cameron although I don't consider his OTR putters as good as many.

Ok fair so you said “here today gone tomorrow” or “don’t pan out” 

which of those count?

22 hours ago, williaza said:

Ok fair so you said “here today gone tomorrow” or “don’t pan out” 

which of those count?

Certainly not going to name names but it's the ones who don't deliver what they promise, go dark on your build after you've forked out your hard earned $$$, turn out trinkets instead of putters, there a social media star and try to sell a $600 putter for $1200+ and tell you it's a limited ed lottery.

Edited by oneaugusta
  • Like 3

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S

Byron Rincon DH89

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, GBGolfingtons said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on Kingston vs Lajosi? I’m leaning towards Kingston but just keen for some thoughts of others first. 

Agree with Matt. More options, cheaper price. Legit builder who's very easy to work with.  I'd prefer Lajosi too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 

BBFandCo Roulette
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod