2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

To the instructors here, how honest would you say you are with you're students?

hacker113

32 minutes ago, virtuoso said:

So.....we are going to take a 75 year old 14 and take 10 strokes off his hdcp...in a year? 75.....you mean the guy with the flag on his cart?

Perhaps greater realization of what sort of changes in playing golf require which sort of time commitment, would be helpful for the golf student public?  I certainly would be ignorant of it, without reading previous posts from yourself, posts and blog/IG content from Monte & iacas, other instructors.

I was nodding along too, at first, "That sounds reasonable...," until I did the math.

Edited by Jayjay_theweim_guy

3 minutes ago, tomba51 said:

Wow, just wow. There are plenty of 75 year old guys who regularly break 80 (by regularly I mean about half their rounds, give or take), are single digit handicaps, and do not have a flag on their cart. A 14 handicapper can already break 80 occasionally so having a goal of wanting to do it more often is not unrealistic.

But you're not talking about the 75 year olds that already regularly break 80; you're talking about the 75 yo that can barely break 90.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WRX Status: FORUM ELDER (certification confirmed)

1 hour ago, TobesSC said:

I was pretty frustrated cause low runners are not the issue and even if they were, don't you want to see my current approach first?

On that point, did you point out to him that those shots weren't a problem for you?  

I too, have found it frustrating when an instructor's gameplan template seems to be both inflexible or much worse, unexplainable when you ask questions.  It may be just indicative of a bad fit.

So I don't end up writing a book here, I basically want to know with an instructor: 

Why this move vs something else?  What improvements will this different movement provide me? 

How long will it take me to implement this move, given X practice schedule and your assessment of my skill and ability to learn? 

What drills do I do to cement this new movement and,

Which metrics can I assess to determine my progress?

19 minutes ago, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

Perhaps greater realization of what sort of changes in playing golf require which sort of time commitment, would be helpful for the golf student public?  I certainly would be ignorant of it, without reading previous posts from yourself, posts and blog/IG content from Monte, other instructors.

I was nodding along too, at first, "That sounds reasonable...," until I did the math.

Yeah, the honesty part is not about the guy's talent or current swing sucky-ness. It's really about the work needed to reach certain goals.

And "honestly", to break 80 regularly ( I mean more than half the time) on a golf course that isn't a complete pitch-n-putt, you'd have to be a legit 5 hdcp....especially the way they calculate hdcp indexes these days.

A lot of the the 75 year olds that are currently breaking 80, used to be a low single digit, if not scratch, in the olden times. They are getting worse too but they started lower.

Edited by virtuoso
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, virtuoso said:

...And "honestly", to break 80 regularly ( I mean more than half the time) on a golf course that isn't in a pitch-n-putt, you'd have to be a legit 5 hdcp....especially the way they calculate hdcp indexes these days.

Lou Stegner on twitter/X has had a few examples that've been eye-opening.  "Scratch" handicaps never breaking par and averaging 79 on their course. (due to the rating of their course and top 8 average of 20), etc...

Still going to be an achievement to work to breaking 80 >50% of the time for someone who is a 15 now.  Which means they likely average 90 currently?  More? 

That's a lot of wood for someone who likely can't do the quickest way to go from 90 to 80---just drive the ball straighter and farther, and shoot for the middle-back of greens.

4 minutes ago, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

Lou Stegner on twitter/X has had a few examples that've been eye-opening.  "Scratch" handicaps never breaking par and averaging 79 on their course. (due to the rating of their course and top 8 average of 20), etc...

Still going to be an achievement to work to breaking 80 >50% of the time for someone who is a 15 now.  Which means they likely average 90 currently?  More? 

That's a lot of wood for someone who likely can't do the quickest way to go from 90 to 80---just drive the ball straighter and farther, and shoot for the middle-back of greens.

Yeah, a 14 is basically bogey golf. 

I have no problem giving the guy a lesson and trying to help him. I'm glad he's a sunny-eyed optimist--it's a better way to live your life. But if he started asking for timelines on his rapid 1 year decent to a 5 hdcp, I'd have to change the subject and distract him with a wildlife sighting on the range.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

my dad is the opposite, doesn't think he can improve but he doesn't go to the range at all. Plays with his friends nearly every morning during warm weather. I took him to an instructor one time and ever since then he only wants me to teach him since I've been the only one who could help him.

I have two students, my dad and my brother, guess his son too. My dad has one of the most unique swings I've seen and is a tough cookie to crack, took me a while to figure his swing out. He doesn't whip the clubhead inside, he naturally takes it back on plane, club head outside his hands and then picks it straight up in the air with a baseball ball bat position. Very baseball bat type swing which is what he grew up playing. Uses the baseball bat two handed grip as well. 

Edited by MK7Golf21

34 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

I laughed and said no, but part of our job is to manage expectations and limits or else progress that doesn’t meet those wild expectations leads to even more frustration.

That's the nut of it right there.

It's particularly bad when you're working with a kid and the parent is the one with the unrealistic expectations. Both you and the kid feel it, and it can be damaging.

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

That's the nut of it right there.

It's particularly bad when you're working with a kid and the parent is the one with the unrealistic expectations. Both you and the kid feel it, and it can be damaging.

I have a reputation that I don’t allow abusive parents on the lesson tee, so I don’t get too many of those.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Emotional golf. Sounds like a good book title.

Golf addiction is real. Some people want to be in the top 10% of golfers, but they might be only in the the top half of their career field. If they only knew the secret.

A grandiose dream is fine. It’s their dream. How about we learn how to not hit a half inch behind the ball first? Go all out Goggins after that.

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

2 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

Emotional golf. Sounds like a good book title.

Golf addiction is real. Some people want to be in the top 10% of golfers, but they might be only in the the top half of their career field. If they only knew the secret.

A grandiose dream is fine. It’s their dream. How about we learn how to not hit a half inch behind the ball first? Go all out Goggins after that.

I had not heard of Goggins and had to look him up.  Some schtick there!  Fat, lazy and unfocused!  LOL I have known many very successful people who were fat and some smoked and drank a lot but they worked hard and made a great deal of what most people would call success.  Several were incredibly intelligent far beyond anything Goggins can imagine I would think.  Personally I did my best work when I was working 24/7 for a startup and did not workout or run much if at all as there was no time for that.  I 'succeeded' there because I never gave up no matter how far under water I was. 

I have never applied that same mindset to golf LOL.  I really don't know how that would work, if I quit accepting failure and worked 100% to succeed at hitting golf shots.  Oh well, my body would not hold up to a 24/7 golf practice and play routine anyway.  

On 12/18/2023 at 10:14 AM, skim4 said:

If i'm paying an instructor I want the cold hard facts/ opinions. Tell me my swing is trash and how to fix it. 

Not a fan of sugar coated golf instruction but its probably necessary for beginners. 

Not an instructor. 

You'd of liked my college coach. 🤣

Edited by Phabs

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

• 2 weeks later...

The funniest line I’ve heard from a top coach, “I’m not your Club Pro…I don’t have to be nice to you.” 

It’s hard for your home pro to tell it like it is. They are masters of putting lipstick on a pig.

A coach worth is fee tells you why you struggle, shows you steps to refine your swing, encourages the change and won’t let you cut corners. 

• Like 2

A question for the coaches: do you ask new students how willing they are to make large changes, or if they want more short term gains?

I ask as I think these are important snippets of information to know. I’m willing to suffer for as long as it takes if it makes me a better golfer for the next 20 years. The process of improvement is as fun to me as actually playing.

But I’m sure many people want that instant satisfaction, and want to be hitting the ball better by the end of the session without putting any real work in.

How do you retain these short-sighted golfers and actually get some proper lasting improvements for them? It just seems like it’d be so frustrating dealing with people like that.

Titleist 909D3 w/ Diamana Whiteboard 73x
Titleist 906F2 w/ Diamana Bluebored 83x
Mizuno MP-4 3-PW w/ KBS C-Taper x-flex
Scratch Tour Department 52*
Cleveland Reg. 588 56* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

31 minutes ago, JamesFoote said:

A question for the coaches: do you ask new students how willing they are to make large changes, or if they want more short term gains?

I don't ask them directly (because in my experience if you ask them, they'll lie… because they don't know what a "big" change is.

For example, if someone has a big tournament in a month, I might approach that student differently than if it's late October in Erie, PA and the student isn't playing meaningful golf until April at least.

I’m willing to suffer for as long as it takes if it makes me a better golfer for the next 20 years.

Probably shouldn't/doesn't have to be "suffering." 😄 

But I’m sure many people want that instant satisfaction, and want to be hitting the ball better by the end of the session without putting any real work in.

Many who say they are willing to put in the work don't actually want to, and really want the instant satisfaction. I sometimes say in lessons "I don't care how you hit the next six balls; just do this thing [whatever I'm asking them to do]." Relieves a little stress from them, frees them up to hit it.

Sometimes I use AlmostGolf balls to help them get over feeling great impact.

How do you retain these short-sighted golfers and actually get some proper lasting improvements for them? It just seems like it’d be so frustrating dealing with people like that.

Sometimes I don't. I had a guy take four or five lessons, and eventually basically told him if he wasn't going to practice between lessons (like, literally no practice, not even five minutes four times a week in a mirror in his house), then I wasn't the guy for him as I'm not a magician. (I only thought the last part in my head; I didn't say that part to him. 😉.)

• Like 4

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell