Foreward Golf Irons

bp682

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Yankees18 said:

Any thoughts or questions you would have liked to ask or thought of afterwards?

I would go in knowing what your problems are on the course with your current set and what you want to get out of the fitting, and I'd be ready to at least explain some concerns you have if the fitting doesn't line up with what you'd expect given your issues. As an example, if you overdraw the ball and they want you to move into an upright lie because of strike, etc. If you have some shafts you like I'd inquire about how different they really are from what they recommend.

I would generally not fit myself into a flat lie angle or a low bounce iron, but I'll trust the fitting process for now, see what I can find to test, and report back with my findings later. 

Edited by TonyRo
  • Thanks 1

On 4/30/2024 at 9:50 PM, TonyRo said:

It's a disease. I'm currently calculating all means and standard deviations for my data sets and color-coordinating everything. It's a total waste of time. I'm a 12 hcp, a terrible ball striker and my swing is crap. I could be at the range.

But nice data and pretty colors makes the mind happy. I can relate😂

Dr: Mizuno ST-G 440, Kai'Li White 70TX
3w: TSR2 15*, HZRDUS Black 6.5 70g
3i: Mizuno Fli Hi, HZRDUS Black 6.5 80g
4i: New Level NLU-01 24*, HZRDUS Black 6.5 100g
5i-7i: Takomo 301CB, TI X100 Black Onyx
8i-PW: Takomo 301MB, TI X100 Black Onyx
51*: Mizuno T22 Raw, TI X100 Black Onyx

55*: Mizuno T22 Raw, TI S400 Black Onyx

60*: Taylormade HI-Toe 3 Tour Grind, TI S400 Black Onyx
P: Meridian Charleston Mid Slant Custom

5 minutes ago, jrdubbb said:

But nice data and pretty colors makes the mind happy. I can relate😂

Denzel - Imgflip

Dan was complimentary about my data being organized and summarized. GSPro exports data pretty hideously with no regards to significant figures or anything like that. If I was a fitter and I had to look at the raw files I'd need to be on medication. This looks much better:

image.png.d6148cb3b8899db42a78e5c6e4ba1b44.png

@TonyRo my wife makes fun of me for the satisfaction that an organized excel spreadsheet gives me, and sir, that table is actually understandable. I wish I had a launch monitor to keep track of my shots like this...

• Haha 1

Dr: Mizuno ST-G 440, Kai'Li White 70TX
3w: TSR2 15*, HZRDUS Black 6.5 70g
3i: Mizuno Fli Hi, HZRDUS Black 6.5 80g
4i: New Level NLU-01 24*, HZRDUS Black 6.5 100g
5i-7i: Takomo 301CB, TI X100 Black Onyx
8i-PW: Takomo 301MB, TI X100 Black Onyx
51*: Mizuno T22 Raw, TI X100 Black Onyx

55*: Mizuno T22 Raw, TI S400 Black Onyx

60*: Taylormade HI-Toe 3 Tour Grind, TI S400 Black Onyx
P: Meridian Charleston Mid Slant Custom

It's good to see more fitting kits and fitters being out there, definitely a different process and something I'm curious about myself just because of how different it is. I'm wondering if I should see if I can get a kit up in Canada and give it a go or see about going to a fitter at some point. 

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Posted (edited)

Did my fitting earlier today and man it was an experience.  I would say it is nothing like a fitting you are going to get at any of the big box retailers or club fitters. 

In the last couple of years I've played px6.0, modus 120X, $ taper 130, modus 125S and tried countless other shafts in fittings and on my own.  I had been moving towards LA golf L series based on the" best" launch monitor numbers for total carry, but probably didn't care that much about face consistency and dispersion vs target.

I haven't played a ton recently so my ball speed was for sure down from what I am used to playing or doing fittings, although this in and of itself was illuminating to me in terms of how you are supposed to play golf (consistency to target, not juicing another 5 yards of carry or 3mpg more of ballspeed)  During the fitting, my ball speed on "Tiger strikes" was around 120, and stuff missing or in suboptimal set ups was 115-118. 

The two best shafts for me turned out to be DG 105 R and Axiom 105S.  Obviously very very different than what I had been playing and trying to work through.   The last fitting I did off grass, I was cruising around 92mph CHS and 127 ball speed with a 7 iron.  When I step on it, I can get into high 90s CHS and 130+.  The interesting thing was at the end because he had these two shafts to compare head to head, I wanted to see how it would stand up to really going at it.  I figured there was no chance the DG 105 R would stay consistent with a more aggressive swing.  Much to my surprise not only did it continue to perform the best, it easily outperformed the Axiom 105.  I also found it interesting that I had previously tried the Axiom 125X at a fitting a year ago and hated it.  The best performing shafts in that fitting (smash, ball speed, carry) was LA golf L series.

My miss has always heel side and after "upgrading" to my last set of irons struggled with an over draw.  Without getting too much into the different variables, it was truly eye opening to see the heel strike disappear and even wind up with consistent strikes toe side of center during one of the tests.

I really enjoyed that fact that you can't see the ball flight the way they do the fitting, because you just think about making your swing, instead of trying to tweak your swing based on what you saw just happen. Probably useful for playing real rounds 

Finally, it required a bit of getting used to what a Tiger Strike feels like.  I used to crave the soft buttery feel of what I thought was a nutted iron.  Turns out that was a bit too high on the face so awesome to have Chad letting you know what you want for optimal strikes. 

I wound up going full send with one of their sets of irons and excited to see how they perform.

Both Dan and Chad are awesome and have said that the difference between the remote fitting vs in studio is pretty negligible.  I think if you are close by or want to make the pilgrimage then 100% go do it.  If you think your swing is pretty consistent, and now want something that can compliment your swing instead of trying to make continued improvements I would highly recommend the remote option.

Will hopefully report back once the clubs arrive and have some time to get them out on the course. 

Feel free to ask any questions.

Edited by Yankees18
clean up small edits
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, Yankees18 said:

Did my fitting earlier today and man it was an experience.  I would say it is nothing like a fitting you are going to get at nay of the big box retailers or club fitters. 

In the last couple of years I've played px6.0, modus 120, $ taper 130, modus 125 and tried countless other shafts in fittings and on my own.  I had been moving towards LA golf L series based on the" best" launch monitor numbers for total carry, but probably didn't care that much about face consistency and dispersion vs target.

I haven't played a ton recently so my ball speed was for sure down from what I am used to playing or doing fittings, although this in and of itself was illuminating to me in terms of how you are supposed to play golf (consistency to target, not juicing another 5 yards of carry or 3mpg more of ballspeed)  During the fitting, my ball speed on "Tiger strikes" was around 120, and stuff missing or in suboptimal set ups was 115-118.  the two best shafts for me turned out to be DG 105 R and Axiom 105S.  Obviously very very different than what I had been playing and trying to work through.   The last fitting i did off grass, i was cruising around 92mph CHS and 127 ball speed with a 7 irons.  When i step on it, i can get into high 90s CHS and 130+.  The interesting thing was at the end because he had these two shafts to compare contrast, i wanted to see how it would stand up to really going at it.  I figured there was no chance the DG 105 R would stay consistent.  Much to my surprise not only did it continue to perform the best, it outperformed the Axiom 105.  I also found it interesting that I had previously tried the Axiom 125X at a fitting a year ago, and hated it.  the best performing shafts in that fitting (smash, ball speed, carry) was LA golf L series.

My miss is always heel side and after "upgrading to my last set of irons" struggled with an over draw.  Without getting too much into the different variables, it was truly eye opening to see the heel strike disappear and even wind up with consistent strikes toe side of center.

I really enjoyed that fact that you can't see the ball flight the way they do the fitting, because you just think about making your swing, instead of trying to tweak your swing based on what you saw just happen. Probably useful for playing real rounds 

Finally, it required a bit of getting used to what a tiger strike feels like.  I used to crave the soft buttery feel of what I thought was a nutted iron.  Turns out that was a bit too high on the face so awesome to have Chad letting you know what you optimally want strike wise 

I wound up going full send with one of their set of irons and excited to see how they perform.

Both Dan and Chad are awesome and have said that the difference between the remote fitting vs in studio is pretty negligible.  I think if you are close by or want to make the pilgrimage then 100% go do it.  If you think your swing is pretty consistent, and now want something that can compliment your swing instead of trying to make continued improvements I would highly recommend the remote option.

Will hopefully report back once the clubs arrive and have some time to get them out on the course. 

Feel free to ask any questions.

I’m literally a mile from “The Cave” in Ventura, and although I just upgraded my irons recently, I’m very curious about their fittings and methodology.  I may have to go through it just to scratch that itch.  Thanks for sharing.

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Brnr MINI Driver | VA Nemesys 65 R
Fairway metals: :callaway-small: Rogue St Max 5 wood | VA Nemesys 65 R, Rogue St Max 7 wood | Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60 R, Rogue St Max 9 wood | VA Nemesys 65 R
Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 5-7, P770 8-P matched | True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 VSS +.5, 1 degree up
Wedges: 1240867525_default_vokey-small1.gif.fd86a2e0ab83b468ba0f432d800e9cee.gif SM8 54 S10, SM 8 58 S10 | True Temper Dynamic Gold, SM9 48 F10 | True Temper Dynamic Gold
Putter: Bettinardi Queen Bee #6 34" stock shaft

On 5/2/2024 at 9:56 AM, TonyRo said:

Had a solid call with Dan, got my prescription: Low bounce, heavy shaft, stiff flex, soft tip/firm butt (giggity), D4 SW, standard length, flat lie, midsize grip. 🔥🐯

Trying to get a Foreward 7-iron made in my prescription to run a longer test versus my gamer 7-iron. Unfortunately for me, my favorite OEM brands are NOT low bounce. 😄 

Tony - interesting to come back and see this - complete opposite of me across the board

- mid + high bounce better
- regular flex

- stiff tip
- C4 SW

I think this highlights value of unique fitting - espe for me since i though i needed the opposite of all of these

haven't gotten update yet on timing for my clubs but will report back after some time with them

• Thanks 1