2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Foreward Golf Irons

bp682

59 minutes ago, AmateurAmateur said:

Been on the fence about these, some National Custom Works, or another set of Miura Craftsman World. These certainly don't have the curb appeal as the others but damn if they don't still appeal to me at a third of the price.

Enough curb appeal that everyone asks me about them but maybe not enough that they'll be stolen 🤞

• Like 1

Just got into my Foreward irons. I live in SoCal so was able to go in and get fitted. Have had the new irons in the bag for three rounds and launching them higher and straighter. Chad is amazing to work with, but you need to go in with an open mind. Found some very interesting numbers to get a more consistent "tiger strike" Went from standard to 3.5 flat, from x-stiff to stiff, and a larger grip. I was a very big draw player and has straightened out my ball flight to no longer over draw, while still swinging my swing. Happy to answer any questions either on here or shoot me a PM. 

IMG_6404.jpeg

Edited by drewsaber16
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, drewsaber16 said:

Just got into my Foreward irons. I live in SoCal so was able to go in and get fitted. Have had the new irons in the bag for three rounds and launching them higher and straighter. Chad is amazing to work with, but you need to go in with an open mind. Found some very interesting numbers to get a more consistent "tiger strike" Went from standard to 3.5 flat, from x-stiff to stiff, and a larger grip. I was a very big draw player and has straightened out my ball flight to no longer over draw, while still swinging my swing. Happy to answer any questions either on here or shoot me a PM. 

IMG_6404.jpeg

so fitting aside, how are the clubs themselves? I’m interested in spending money I don’t have on clubs i don’t need and these are top of the list. 

52 minutes ago, AmateurAmateur said:

so fitting aside, how are the clubs themselves? I’m interested in spending money I don’t have on clubs i don’t need and these are top of the list. 

They are awesome, but very soft. Definitely will have some bag chatter on them. They have helped me launch the ball higher with the low center of gravity. Love your response totally get it!

Can you provide little background on what you were looking for, i.e. had you been through multiple sets / shaft combos and hoping to find holy grail or just more curious and went in for fitting.  Did you use single test club first vs rest of the set, curious how they dial in optimal specs on lie, grip swingweight, etc since its only 3 variables per category.  Finally, did they give you options for building with the normal OEMs, or you decided you wanted to go with their set?

thx

On 4/16/2024 at 11:15 AM, drewsaber16 said:

Went from standard to 3.5 flat, from x-stiff to stiff, and a larger grip. I was a very big draw player and has straightened out my ball flight to no longer over draw, while still swinging my swing.

Did your length of irons change at all due to the fit?  I'm curious about such a flat lie angle and wondering if he was using that to "fix" the draw instead of a proper length adjustment.  The X flex to Stiff change will also allow more droop which would also dynamically produce less draw and make the irons play more flat.

2 minutes ago, Yankees18 said:

i was on the list, but will be doing fitting in person in ~ a month, so the list may move a bit quicker!

They're actually on their way and should arrive this week. FedEx is the absolute worst choice around my area, but here we are. They started in Ohio about 3 hours Southwest of Cleveland (where I live) and inexplicably have been rerouted through Indianapolis only to arrive back in Ohio in my city two days ago. They still won't be delivered today. Every single time I see anything golf related being shipped to me via FedEx I die a little inside. 

• Like 2

On 4/16/2024 at 8:15 AM, drewsaber16 said:

IMG_6404.jpeg

What kind of glutes workout do you do?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

IG Handle: @tarheelnation3

What's in the bag:

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond w/ Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6s

Fairway Wood: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 3 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Taylormade Stealth+ 5 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Tour Issued Callaway Paradym 7 wood w/ Speeder 757 Evolution VII

Irons: Taylormade P790 Copper w/ Nippon Modus 120 Shafts

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Raw 50/55/60 w/ Nippon Modus 120

Putters: Scotty Cameron 009 Aloha (and many others)

52 minutes ago, Yankees18 said:

post fitting did you get recommended options from OEMs or just their irons? 

For me, no, there were no OEMs.  A friend has the irons and Chad knew I was coming in looking to get fit for their irons.  The fitting used the fitting system Chad developed.   

I watched the end of the prior person's fitting and Chad did give him a few options.  He said they would not be the exact "prescription" but they could still work.  He recommended their irons as well as Ping and Callaway. 

In talking with my friend, I mentioned how the costs added up quickly depending on the finish, shafts and personalization options.  His response was while that may be true, if you believe in the system and Chad, then you go for it. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/16/2024 at 11:15 AM, drewsaber16 said:

IMG_8211.mov

IMG_6404.jpeg

Nevr heard the term "tiger strike" but in that video you guys said it like 3 times....what does that mean?

• Like 1

PING G410 Max 10.5º w/ Ping Tour 65 X

PING G400 Max 14.5º w/ Mitsubishi Diamana RF 70 X

PING i25 18º w/ PWR 75 S

Callaway Apex 19 Pro Combo 4-PW w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Ping Glide 4.0 52ºS, 56ºS, 60ºT w/ Z-Z115

Scotty Cameron Futura X7M Dual Balance

8 hours ago, bigdriveandy said:

Nevr heard the term "tiger strike" but in that video you guys said it like 3 times....what does that mean?

It’s his marketing phrase 

Edited by Phabs

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

On 4/22/2024 at 5:00 PM, NDSwim said:

I had a fitting with Chad last week and was impressed with his knowledge and the product.  It is definitely a different approach than a fitting I received other places.  On the fence about ordering.

guessing this wasn't your first rodeo on fittings etc.  I've watched a number of his fitting videos so have good idea of the process.  Most curious if you learned anything counter to what you were currently fit into like a completely different shaft, or just maybe tweaks to lie / swing weight.

It seems like you haven't gotten irons yet but also curious for you or others that have gone down this path, if "proper" bounce for club head made a noticeable difference once you started playing off of grass vs the fitting on a mat

ill be down there in two weeks and will provide feedback on the fitting.  i'm probably less inclined for their sets of irons vs reshafting either sets of gamers i have currently but have an open mind to it

I had a Titleist fitting in Oceanside in 2015, Club Champion in 2020 and based on that fitting, went to a demo day and had an outdoor fitting with Taylormade.  I was fit into the 2019 P790 one degree upright.  Nothing too wild and crazy.  The reason I got fit by Foreward is I saw a buddy's sticks and did my research and was interested about the whole process plus I liked the look of the clubs.  My normal ball flight is a fade.  I was not trying to find the magic bullet, but trying to see if we could tighten up the dispersion.

Based on the outdoor fitting with Chad, yes, some tweaks, but he obviously spoke about turf interaction (never mentioned to me by prior fitters) and discussed counterbalancing.  Again, never discussed with anyone else.  Since on grass, we would look at each shot to see where the club impacted the ground as compared to the ball.  It was enlightening to see how each fitting variable would impact the strike point.  Granted there was no Trackman at the fitting, but spending time talking about each shot beyond just the numbers was something different than prior fittings.

Slight tweaks and was recommended the Steelfiber shafts which I had not even thought of.  At the end of the fitting we were talking about grips and after mentioning what grip and color I wanted, Chad mentioned the white was a few grams heavier and something we needed to be aware of due to the counterbalancing.  I was impressed by him even knowing this at that moment.

I foresee myself ordering the Foreward heads and have them build what they recommended.  I'm going to make a few personalization changes to bring the cost down a bit, but the main reason I'm delaying is I have a trip to Scotland in July and I do not want to put myself in a position to question my equipment, either current set or anything new.

Let us know how your fitting goes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NDSwim said:

Based on the outdoor fitting with Chad, yes, some tweaks, but he obviously spoke about turf interaction (never mentioned to me by prior fitters) and discussed counterbalancing.  Again, never discussed with anyone else.  Since on grass, we would look at each shot to see where the club impacted the ground as compared to the ball.  It was enlightening to see how each fitting variable would impact the strike point.  Granted there was no Trackman at the fitting, but spending time talking about each shot beyond just the numbers was something different than prior fittings.

did you request you do an outdoor fitting, or was this follow up to initial indoor fitting?  All of the fittings I have seen posted on IG or youtube have been indoor and Chad talks about benefit of hitting of mat for their fitting process. thx

28 minutes ago, Yankees18 said:

did you request you do an outdoor fitting, or was this follow up to initial indoor fitting?  All of the fittings I have seen posted on IG or youtube have been indoor and Chad talks about benefit of hitting of mat for their fitting process. thx

Only outdoor was offered due to them traveling.  It was their mobile fitting kit.

I had a fun time doing the fitting - I have some thoughts on it:

1. The clubs look and feel nice, but I guess that should be no surprise. They're one piece forged clubs (besides the weights, obviously) and those feel good when you hit them nice. 😁 My gamers are i230s and occasionally the PXG Gen4 0311Ps and I'd say there is a bit more feedback on mishits with the Foreward Golf irons, but I'd expect that too. The blade length is not super tiny, which is nice (for me). Basically, they look good but they aren't intimidating - when I look down at them I don't think, "Welp, there's no bleeping way this is going to go well for me."

2. The fitting kit actually arrived to me at a terrible time - I had them for (I think) 6 days but only had a few hours spread between a few days to really dig into the kit, which is totally on me. I think I got enough shots in, but I'm a nerdy engineer and will always want more. Bigger sample size never hurt anyone! For me, especially if you're mostly ranking these options by strike location, 72 balls at one time is too many. Splitting it across a few days seems like the move. I'd also wonder if some of the options could be omitted in favor of hitting more balls on some of the other variables deemed important. Specifically, length and lie strike me as weird ones. I am no expert, but the lengths provided will probably all natural occur in your set anyway, just at a different club. To me, the issues with length would pop up more at the extreme ends of the set, e.g. you may get more clubhead speed, spin and strike a longer 7-iron fine, but how about a longer 4-iron? Similarly, I may strike a shorter 7-iron better, but I'm 6'2" with a 38" wrist-to-floor measurement, and a short PW might feel awfully uncomfortable, I dunno. I'd guess 90%+ will strike a short club more accurately on the face over 100 shots. Most fittings would base lie angle off dynamic lie at impact, some sort of test like a lie board or a mark on the ball, or something like the PING static fitting charts. I know I'm toe down at impact and so I'd be a little nervous to use flat clubs even if I struck them great. Something to talk about. No biggie either way really, I was happy to hit those balls too, I'd just wonder if that time would be better spent elsewhere. 

3. There were no instructions, which is generally fine because the whole thing is pretty straightforward, but they could probably use some - perhaps an FAQ as well. As an example, in some categories I hit them all fairly good, and some all fairly terrible. Should I do a second set of either of those to try and force some differentiation, or just accept that maybe it doesn't matter all that much and any of the three would work for me? Do I need to replace the foot spray? Also, I realized that once I pulled all the clubs out I didn't exactly remember how they were all packed in there so nice - a picture would help to keep their clubs as safe as possible. 😁

4. Dan was super helpful and friendly during the whole process, all the way from me bugging him on IG about how far back I am on the list through to a short call yesterday to set up shipping to Bamundson3 above! Good dude! 

I am sure more thoughts will pop up, but I also haven't sent in my data, pics, and had a call with Dan about the results either. I will update then. I still have to get all of the data cleaned up and organized. 😭

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, TonyRo said:

I had a fun time doing the fitting - I have some thoughts on it:

1. The clubs look and feel nice, but I guess that should be no surprise. They're one piece forged clubs (besides the weights, obviously) and those feel good when you hit them nice. 😁 My gamers are i230s and occasionally the PXG Gen4 0311Ps and I'd say there is a bit more feedback on mishits with the Foreward Golf irons, but I'd expect that too. The blade length is not super tiny, which is nice (for me). Basically, they look good but they aren't intimidating - when I look down at them I don't think, "Welp, there's no bleeping way this is going to go well for me."

2. The fitting kit actually arrived to me at a terrible time - I had them for (I think) 6 days but only had a few hours spread between a few days to really dig into the kit, which is totally on me. I think I got enough shots in, but I'm a nerdy engineer and will always want more. Bigger sample size never hurt anyone! For me, especially if you're mostly ranking these options by strike location, 72 balls at one time is too many. Splitting it across a few days seems like the move. I'd also wonder if some of the options could be omitted in favor of hitting more balls on some of the other variables deemed important. Specifically, length and lie strike me as weird ones. I am no expert, but the lengths provided will probably all natural occur in your set anyway, just at a different club. To me, the issues with length would pop up more at the extreme ends of the set, e.g. you may get more clubhead speed, spin and strike a longer 7-iron fine, but how about a longer 4-iron? Similarly, I may strike a shorter 7-iron better, but I'm 6'2" with a 38" wrist-to-floor measurement, and a short PW might feel awfully uncomfortable, I dunno. I'd guess 90%+ will strike a short club more accurately on the face over 100 shots. Most fittings would base lie angle off dynamic lie at impact, some sort of test like a lie board or a mark on the ball, or something like the PING static fitting charts. I know I'm toe down at impact and so I'd be a little nervous to use flat clubs even if I struck them great. Something to talk about. No biggie either way really, I was happy to hit those balls too, I'd just wonder if that time would be better spent elsewhere. 

3. There were no instructions, which is generally fine because the whole thing is pretty straightforward, but they could probably use some - perhaps an FAQ as well. As an example, in some categories I hit them all fairly good, and some all fairly terrible. Should I do a second set of either of those to try and force some differentiation, or just accept that maybe it doesn't matter all that much and any of the three would work for me? Do I need to replace the foot spray? Also, I realized that once I pulled all the clubs out I didn't exactly remember how they were all packed in there so nice - a picture would help to keep their clubs as safe as possible. 😁

4. Dan was super helpful and friendly during the whole process, all the way from me bugging him on IG about how far back I am on the list through to a short call yesterday to set up shipping to Bamundson3 above! Good dude! 

I am sure more thoughts will pop up, but I also haven't sent in my data, pics, and had a call with Dan about the results either. I will update then. I still have to get all of the data cleaned up and organized. 😭

You my friend are certainly an engineer ;).  I did the fitting with Chad and Dan there and would have had similar thoughts as you if they weren’t there.  Even with just a few shots with each test club, I did find out very quickly which setting was not right for me.

I ordered the end of last week and hope to have the new sticks in a week or two.  Will do an update once they are in hand.

Edited by NDSwim
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, NDSwim said:

You my friend are certainly an engineer 😉

It's a disease. I'm currently calculating all means and standard deviations for my data sets and color-coordinating everything. It's a total waste of time. I'm a 12 hcp, a terrible ball striker and my swing is crap. I could be at the range.

• Haha 1

On 4/30/2024 at 6:00 PM, NDSwim said:

You my friend are certainly an engineer ;).  I did the fitting with Chad and Dan there and would have had similar thoughts as you if they weren’t there.  Even with just a few shots with each test club, I did find out very quickly which setting was not right for me.

I ordered the end of last week and hope to have the new sticks in a week or two.  Will do an update once they are in hand.

headed there this weekend.  Any thoughts or questions you would have liked to ask or thought of afterwards?

I'm way too deep in the shaft rabbit hole so have good idea going in of what is likely to be outcome for shaft and swing weight, but interested and open minded across the other variables

Had a solid call with Dan, got my prescription: Low bounce, heavy shaft, stiff flex, soft tip/firm butt (giggity), D4 SW, standard length, flat lie, midsize grip. 🔥🐯

Trying to get a Foreward 7-iron made in my prescription to run a longer test versus my gamer 7-iron. Unfortunately for me, my favorite OEM brands are NOT low bounce. 😄