Best Young Exec memberships in Dallas?

Ironcovers

I think it’s $25k today but you have to make up the difference between that and whatever the full initiation fee is through some sort of payment plan by the time you turn 40.  Most of the best courses in town, both golf only and country clubs will be 25 - 50k day one and you pay off the rest over time.  All will be around 800-1,200 a month for dues, even as a junior member.

You should look into Old American / The Tribute (semi-private but great golf), Canyon Creek, Gleneagles, and Stonebriar for Dallas area courses that are a little less expensive than some of the top courses in town but still higher than your desired budget. 

Other options to look at are Timarron, Las Colinas/Four Seasons and courses in FW like Ridglea and Mira Vista.  Courses over there are generally slightly cheaper than Dallas and smaller wait lists.  Those 2 are the cheaper options but both have great golf. 

On 1/2/2024 at 11:36 PM, TexasTurf said:

Trinity forest is by far your best bet of somewhere where you may not have to wait for years. I consider them our biggest rival, but that is out of respect, not hate. 

Assume you’re insinuating being able to spread out the initiation over time through a junior membership but feel like the OP should know that stock initiation at Trinity Forest is $180-200K. 

5 hours ago, Lefty_13 said:

Assume you’re insinuating being able to spread out the initiation over time through a junior membership but feel like the OP should know that stock initiation at Trinity Forest is $180-200K. 

Nope I did not know that. They were running some good (incredible) deals a few years ago with the PGA tournament moving and china virus starting. Great course but I can't recommend based on those prices. A few years ago there was no initiation and at least half off monthly trying to get cash flowing once they lost the PGA event. I wouldn't cave to those guys, it will equal out. It's literally a garbage landfill, with a course on top. 

But it is still awesome with a great culture. Highly recommend once the economy corrrects. 

Edited by TexasTurf
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, TexasTurf said:

Nope I did not know that. They were running some good (incredible) deals a few years ago with the PGA tournament moving and china virus starting. Great course but I can't recommend based on those prices. A few years ago there was no initiation and at least half off monthly trying to get cash flowing once they lost the PGA event. I wouldn't cave to those guys, it will equal out. It's literally a garbage landfill, with a course on top. 

But it is still awesome with a great culture. Highly recommend once the economy corrrects. 

Agreed, I’ve also heard of the incredible initiation break folks were able to get a few years ago. Dallas private golf has really gotten silly, we are staring at least 5 years on a waitlist for the club we are currently looking to join. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lefty_13 said:

Agreed, I’ve also heard of the incredible initiation break folks were able to get a few years ago. Dallas private golf has really gotten silly, we are staring at least 5 years on a waitlist for the club we are currently looking to join. 

Yes 200k down + 20k annually. TF is cool but not sure why anyone would pay anything close to what they’re asking. They’re probably just full from letting everyone in cheap and no ones leaving 

18 hours ago, TexasTurf said:

Yeah 200k now and 20k yearly. Pretty ridiculous pricing imo. But for no initiation and 10k yearly.. what a steal

Biggest thing I’d suggest is if you have any connections, use them, as wait lists are crazy for most of the good clubs. I know there’s a lot of solid golfers who are out at Maridoe, may be worth checking into that too. DAC is also fun but they’ve got some wild prices now too

I’m in a similar boat(26 years old) and have been looking into young exec memberships in town, would love to join somewhere but I am currently planning to wait it out till the economy dips to jump in. Wait lists and costs have ballooned over the last few years

stay away from ClubCorp / Invited clubs for the most part

On 1/6/2024 at 9:03 PM, Ironcovers said:

Yes 200k down + 20k annually. TF is cool but not sure why anyone would pay anything close to what they’re asking. They’re probably just full from letting everyone in cheap and no ones leaving 

Because they're trying to attract the high end Dallas clientele and money. It's no different than any of the established 150k+ initiation clubs (Northwood, Brook Hollow, Dallas CC, Dallas National, Preston Trail). The type of clientele that these clubs try to attract have zero issues with paying that amount, most of these clubs I listed have wait list close to if not over a decade. Hard to get into but nice once your in. One of my friends is a member at Northwood and he can just show up and walk a round at pretty much anytime which is unheard of post covid. Those equity clubs have alot lower membership numbers than the average course + a decent amount of the members have it more for status/social so they don't take up tee times. They also for the most part have high-end practice facilities and top level instructors. TF if I'm not mistaken has a coach that has over 5 players either on the PGA tour or Korn Ferry. 

Back on topic most of the clubs I knew that had young executive where club Corp (now called invited clubs) but they phased that membership out during covid. 

In regards to which club I would base it on where you live to be honest. As someone else said a club not close to you can be an hour or hour and a half round trip if you time the drive wrong. 

Like for example if your in western Collin county id look at prestonwood hills or old American. South Plano or Richardson Id look at Canyon Creek. East Plano id play at the city course (pecan hollow). Far North Dallas or regular North Dallas at look at Prestonwood Creek. East Dallas I'd look at Dallas athletic club. 

Location is such a big deal if you plan on playing a lot of golf 

Edited by 560ti

6 hours ago, robdalky said:

As a Dallas guy myself let me say that you cannot be and must not be “open to anywhere”. You need to find a place close to where you live, otherwise you could be spending an hour or more each way getting to the club. Geography completely dictates what you can do here, imo.

Agreed. DFW is the 4th biggest metroplex in the US and could possibly jump to 3rd by the end of this decade. "Open to anywhere" doesn't fly here trust me. There's a reason why 90% of the members at these entry to mid level clubs live or work real close to there home clubs 

• 4 weeks later...

I’m a member of an equity, member owned club in North Dallas.   The best advice I received was pack up all your crap from your house and drive to the course.  Pretend you forgot something and drive back home to get it and then back to the club.  If that was a hassle, don’t join it.    I live about 3 miles from my club and my office is about 5-6.   A lot of members are in the Park Cities which can be 15-20 min each way depending on traffic and that is about the max they are willing to drive regularly.   DCC and BH are not realistic options for these HP residents.   

• Like 2

Are there places in Dallas here still offering young exec memberships? I talked to one reputable place that's listed above and they have so much demand that they dropped junior exec memberships and are making juniors pay the full membership cost.

I would like to join somewhere as well, but am hesitant to join somewhere at full price knowing I am still young (mid 20s) and may not be in Dallas more than 5-10 years from now, so I don't want to throw away the initiation if life/job/family were to change. Public golf is driving me insane in Dallas

Edited by FuzzyKnuckles

On 2/15/2024 at 1:25 PM, FuzzyKnuckles said:

Are there places in Dallas here still offering young exec memberships? I talked to one reputable place that's listed above and they have so much demand that they dropped junior exec memberships and are making juniors pay the full membership cost.

I would like to join somewhere as well, but am hesitant to join somewhere at full price knowing I am still young (mid 20s) and may not be in Dallas more than 5-10 years from now, so I don't want to throw away the initiation if life/job/family were to change. Public golf is driving me insane in Dallas

In same position.. I havent found any young exec membership options

On 2/15/2024 at 12:25 PM, FuzzyKnuckles said:

Every equity membership in the Dallas area (and most large cities) will have a similar structure for junior membership.  There will be a long process and waitlist to join, once a spot opens up a portion of the initiation fee will be due to join, some clubs will have you join as a social member and still have to wait a few years for a golf membership to open while others you can golf right away.  You will pay the difference in the full initiation fee and the initial amount you already paid until you are around 40 in a pro-rated payment plan that may or may not have an interest rate tied to it.  If you don’t get a spot by the time you are 35 you likely won’t qualify as a junior member and will have to pay the full amount when you join.  That is the benefit of joining as a junior.  Monthly dues are slightly less but still expensive.  

5 hours ago, Texassippian said:

Every equity membership in the Dallas area (and most large cities) will have a similar structure for junior membership.  There will be a long process and waitlist to join, once a spot opens up a portion of the initiation fee will be due to join, some clubs will have you join as a social member and still have to wait a few years for a golf membership to open while others you can golf right away.  You will pay the difference in the full initiation fee and the initial amount you already paid until you are around 40 in a pro-rated payment plan that may or may not have an interest rate tied to it.  If you don’t get a spot by the time you are 35 you likely won’t qualify as a junior member and will have to pay the full amount when you join.  That is the benefit of joining as a junior.  Monthly dues are slightly less but still expensive.  

Thank you for the info. Unfortunately though, I talked to a club recently, and I heard a similar situation about another, where they have gotten rid of junior membership offerings because demand for the club is so high. I was asking if anyone else has heard similar around town 

On 2/14/2024 at 9:43 AM, KimboSlice said:

Why would DCC and Brook Hollow not be options for them?  Majority of the members at those courses live there? 

Basically impossible to get into, especially right now. Waitlist are insane right now and nobody is dropping their membership at those elite equity CCs. I don't remember the exact quote but a Northwood member (Northwood is almost DCC/Brook Hollow level in terms of demand/prestige) said something insane along the lines of "waitlist has doubled in the last 4 years and we only had less than a handful of equity openings for the entire year of 2023". 

It's not uncommon for HP/park cities just take the commute to places like Bent Tree, Royal Oaks, Lakewood since those you can get in quicker (not quick but quicker). The original quote you quoted he was basically alluding to even 15-20 minutes is the most those residents are willing to do for an actual home club they plan on using. Especially for non golf round activities (nobody is driving 40+ minutes total round trip for a quick pool swim, driving range, or gym workout). Part of what makes majority of those elite status members the way they are is being very time efficient especially if they still have school aged children. 

Edited by 560ti

7 hours ago, TexasTurf said:

Covid and inflation killed accessible golf in Dallas. Public and private. My favorite local public track went from 14 dollars and empty in the afternoons to 140 dollars and packed all day long.

It amazes me how much the price of golf has gone up in the past 3-4 years. And, yet, the demand is still there. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/18/2024 at 9:15 AM, North Texas said:

It amazes me how much the price of golf has gone up in the past 3-4 years. And, yet, the demand is still there. 

It blows my mind. Initiations on my side of town (Fort Worth) seem to start at $25,000. I can’t believe there are *that* many people who can afford that. Same with the public courses. If you’re not making a tee time a week in advance you’re not playing. Blows my mind!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2024 at 3:05 AM, TexasTurf said:

are the breaks in monthly dues permanent or only for a few years?

I’ve heard breaks on initiation are common - but generally thought dues increases would apply to all members (e.g. no grandfathering)

understand this could be case-by-case too (but looking for your general thoughts and feedback)

19 hours ago, TennisAndGolf said:

are the breaks in monthly dues permanent or only for a few years?

I’ve heard breaks on initiation are common - but generally thought dues increases would apply to all members (e.g. no grandfathering)

understand this could be case-by-case too (but looking for your general thoughts and feedback)

That ship has sailed at this point. There are more people here with a lot of money than there are courses to serve them. A few new ones are being built west and south of fort worth, but the market is currently flooded with golfers in the Dallas area, there are literally no good deals right now. 

• Like 3