2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Found a gem

12 hours ago, SUITS said:

This is in transit to me, cannot believe the condition. Who produced these ? They feel like plated carbon, like the TPM mills stuff. I can’t decide if I will condition the old grip with some mink oil or notIMG_8745.jpeg.8baa35817c3212671468f000a121e97d.jpegIMG_8747.jpeg.77b2d5404c7328e688a3fe65ad4b4c93.jpegIMG_8746.jpeg.23edb0c964361123c03cb92ffec03c89.jpeg

That's a real beaut!  I can't remember who made them but there are a multitude of 8802 style putter threads on here for your reading pleasure.  Mink oil sounds like a fine idea.  There are also several leather grip reviving threads here too which describe different methods and products used.  

• Like 1

Pro Group made them.  The same entity that made the Standard and Peerless club lines, among others.

When Palmer signed his deal with Callaway (around 1999 or so? About the time he had his televised run in with Peter Kessler over the non-conforming ERC driver) and Pro Group closed Callaway sold those putters.  Whether or not they made any more of them or just sold the last of them I'm not sure.  The Maltby guide lists them as being available from 1980 through the last Palmer Company listings in 1998.  Obviously it's a remake of the Wilson "Designed By."

It's been a long time since I've seen one in person.  Is the top line or flange high polished chrome?  If it is it seems there are days when that would be blinding to use.

I don't know why anyone would design a putter in anything other than a satin finish.  Or anything else for that matter, but that's just me.  I don't even like bathroom faucets that aren't satin or brushed!   

Edited by Shallowface
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

1 hour ago, Shallowface said:

Pro Group made them.  The same entity that made the Standard and Peerless club lines, among others.

When Palmer signed his deal with Callaway (around 1999 or so? About the time he had his televised run in with Peter Kessler over the non-conforming ERC driver) and Pro Group closed Callaway sold those putters.  Whether or not they made any more of them or just sold the last of them I'm not sure.  The Maltby guide lists them as being available from 1980 through the last Palmer Company listings in 1998.  Obviously it's a remake of the Wilson "Designed By."

It's been a long time since I've seen one in person.  Is the top line or flange high polished chrome?  If it is it seems there are days when that would be blinding to use.

I don't know why anyone would design a putter in anything other than a satin finish.  Or anything else for that matter, but that's just me.  I don't even like bathroom faucets that aren't satin or brushed!   

From what I can tell it seems to be all chrome. I have a blaster so I can make it satin in short order with some superfine beads. But the chrome has a more nostalgic feeling

• Like 1

This is simply awesome....

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

My dad bought me one of these when they were first released. Mine is still brand new with the original head cover. I wish I had the box it originally came with though.

These are all over the place in the Resale market/ebay. They hold very little value, but are still very nice potters. Good weight to them and a thick top line which I like.   Likely a tougher find in lefty though

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/21/2024 at 8:12 PM, SUITS said:

This is in transit to me, cannot believe the condition. Who produced these ? They feel like plated carbon, like the TPM mills stuff. I can’t decide if I will condition the old grip with some mink oil or notIMG_8745.jpeg.8baa35817c3212671468f000a121e97d.jpegIMG_8747.jpeg.77b2d5404c7328e688a3fe65ad4b4c93.jpegIMG_8746.jpeg.23edb0c964361123c03cb92ffec03c89.jpeg

Are you gaming this or putting behind a glass case? 🤣

I owned two of these back in the 1990s.  They did not have the soft feel of the original 8802 or 8813 models from the 1960s but were still quite good.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

55 minutes ago, SUITS said:

Unfortunate news but it never showed. Called the seller and FedEx took it to the wrong place is what they told me. Got a full refund. A truly sad day

so why can't FedEx go & get it back? I had something like that happen to me - raised hell at the Supervisory level & they went and notified the people at the wrong address & got the package to me eventually

43 minutes ago, bcstones said:

so why can't FedEx go & get it back? I had something like that happen to me - raised hell at the Supervisory level & they went and notified the people at the wrong address & got the package to me eventually

I guess I could have pressed more but they told me they were not sure if they would be able to recover it

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SUITS said:

I guess I could have pressed more but they told me they were not sure if they would be able to recover it

they tried that line on me too....however, they have digital confirmation where they leave it (otherwise how could they even know the delivery was to the incorrect address) - and so far, when I use FedEx - they take a picture of where they left the package...

Some years back FedEx left a box of shafts/grips I had ordered somewhere other than my house.  They had no idea where they left them or how to retrieve them.  The vendor had to replace them.

A friend of mine told me that if she is shopping for something online and sees that the vendor uses FedEx she shops for the item somewhere else, due to similar experiences.  Of course one cannot always tell what shipper a vendor uses.

What I never understood is why the person who received my shipment by mistake made no effort to re-direct it.  I certainly would have.  There was nothing in that box that the average person could use.  They probably set it out for the trash.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

4 hours ago, Shallowface said:

Some years back FedEx left a box of shafts/grips I had ordered somewhere other than my house.  They had no idea where they left them or how to retrieve them.  The vendor had to replace them.

A friend of mine told me that if she is shopping for something online and sees that the vendor uses FedEx she shops for the item somewhere else, due to similar experiences.  Of course one cannot always tell what shipper a vendor uses.

What I never understood is why the person who received my shipment by mistake made no effort to re-direct it.  I certainly would have.  There was nothing in that box that the average person could use.  They probably set it out for the trash.

I use FedEx exclusively....now-a-days (w/in the past 5 years), FedEx takes a picture of the package where it was left - at least they do w/my packages, even when left in a big city.

I try to avoid doing any shipping w/the big brown trucks (I used to work for them many decades past - their business managment style is pre-industrial period), most of those packages have somekind of damage to them when delivered....and average time is a couple of days longer than FedEx

I'd tell your friend, who refuses to deal w/sellers who use FedEx, to contact seller & ask for a signature upon delivery. Also you can go on FedEx, w/the tracking number, and make arrangements to either pick up at the closest FedEx office or even hold if youi're on vacation or deliver to another address.

I don't understan either, why that person didn't give a call to FedEx...

Edited by bcstones