2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Ireland Oct 2024

Heading to Ireland for a self-planned first trip overseas. Primarily looking for any tips/tricks, good eats, alterations if I'm missing something big

Flying in the 1st of October 

2 of us are flying in a couple days early to add in Lahinch and Ballybunion (spur of the moment thing after all the rest was booked) 

Looked/looking at flights into Shannon to save the drive out and back from Dublin for the first leg but appears to save about $400 doing the drive

We've elected to drive ourselves as we've got a left-side driving vet on the trip and will be staying in Airbnb's (Rosapenna, Newcastle, Dublin)  

Day 1   -  Flight into Dublin; travel to Limerick (mid-point for the courses) 

Day 2   - Lahinch 10am

Day 3   - Ballybunion 10am 

Day 4   - Drive back to Dublin to pick up the other guys; drive to Rosapenna (driver knows what he's getting into) 

Day 5   - St Pats am + St Pats pm (starting to see rumors about course condition issues so thinking of just playing the afternoon round and resting that morning) 

Day 6   - Old Tom 750am + Portsalon 130pm 

Day 7   - Sandy Hills 9am + Cruit Island 330pm 

Day 8   - Narin & Portnoo 9am + travel to Newcastle (we tried to throw Portrush in this morning instead of N&P but they were full) 

Day 9   - open morning + Ardglass 230pm 

Day 10 - Royal County Down 10:30am + travel to Dublin 

Day 11 - Portmarnock (Old) am + Corballis pm (not sure if we'll play Corballis but heard it was a good deal and a few holes looked cool) 

Day 12 - Flight home OR I may add a solo golf day (it'll be a Saturday so having trouble finding times at nicer courses) 

Edited by Sterling_247

Good trip - questions/comments:

If you are driving all the way to the west coast - why not do 36 one day and 18 another - I am assuming you have full days there?  I would at least try to also play Tralee - a BB/Tralee day or a Lahinch/Doonbeg day.

Playing Corballis over Island or Baltray seems odd.  On your last day - why can't you get on Baltray? It's near the airport and quite good.

Other than that - all good.  

57 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Good trip - questions/comments:

If you are driving all the way to the west coast - why not do 36 one day and 18 another - I am assuming you have full days there?  I would at least try to also play Tralee - a BB/Tralee day or a Lahinch/Doonbeg day.

Playing Corballis over Island or Baltray seems odd.  On your last day - why can't you get on Baltray? It's near the airport and quite good.

Other than that - all good.  

Thanks for the info! Didn't realize that Tralee was as close as it is. Definitely considering adding it in now for a 36/18 day.

Corballis started out as a cheap bonus golf; not entirely sure how the body will be feeling after the golf packed in at the beginning. Baltray doesn't allow visitor play after 12:30 so we wouldnt be able to make it after a 9:20 time for Portmarnock. Think it would be worth an e-mail to see if they'd budge? Looks like the Island is open that afternoon so we could definitely add it in with no hassle

Also, any thoughts on Saturday golf near Dublin? I havent booked the flight yet so could extend one more day if the course was worth it 

Edited by Sterling_247

1 hour ago, Sterling_247 said:

Thanks for the info! Didn't realize that Tralee was as close as it is. Definitely considering adding it in now for a 36/18 day.

Corballis started out as a cheap bonus golf; not entirely sure how the body will be feeling after the golf packed in at the beginning. Baltray doesn't allow visitor play after 12:30 so we wouldnt be able to make it after a 9:20 time for Portmarnock. Think it would be worth an e-mail to see if they'd budge? Looks like the Island is open that afternoon so we could definitely add it in with no hassle

Also, any thoughts on Saturday golf near Dublin? I havent booked the flight yet so could extend one more day if the course was worth it 

Check to see if Portmarnock Links will be finished. It may have a new name. That may work well for your Saturday game. 

You do realize that N&P is a serious drive out of your way? No love for Portrush Valley, Castlerock or Ballycastle? Maybe even Ballyliffin Old? To me the juice of N&P doesn’t justify the squeeze with so many other good options on the table.

The second course at County Down may make a good partner with Ardglass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sterling_247 said:

The only other things worth "extending a trip" would be if you wanted to get to the European Club.  Otherwise the other courses that are good are parkland: Carton, K-Club and you would only go there for the nostalgia, etc.  

I mean if you could and wanted to extend a trip - I would just add another RCD round...worth it in so many ways/reasons.

8 minutes ago, El Gringo said:

Check to see if Portmarnock Links will be finished. It may have a new name. That may work well for your Saturday game. 

You do realize that N&P is a serious drive out of your way? No love for Portrush Valley, Castlerock or Ballycastle? Maybe even Ballyliffin Old? To me the juice of N&P doesn’t justify the squeeze with so many other good options on the table.

The second course at County Down may make a good partner with Ardglass.

From my calculations, N&P works out to the same amount of driving as heading up to the Portrush area and then down to Newcastle afterward. Looking at about 4 hours of driving that day either way unless we just headed straight to RCD or find an inland course on the way. 

We've got the second course at RCD on the radar for bonus golf the day we play Ardglass. Think we may take it easy that morning after the packed first few days and the drive down. 

12 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

The only other things worth "extending a trip" would be if you wanted to get to the European Club.  Otherwise the other courses that are good are parkland: Carton, K-Club and you would only go there for the nostalgia, etc.  

I mean if you could and wanted to extend a trip - I would just add another RCD round...worth it in so many ways/reasons.

I'll check out the European Club. The rest of the group is flying out that Saturday so I'll be solo if I add that day and I'm not really interested in playing parkland

Glad to hear that on RCD. Been surprised that a lot of folks have it behind some of the other courses on our list; made me wonder if it was one rated real high by the "experts" that didn't hold up on the ground (hoped that wouldnt be the case) 

6 minutes ago, Sterling_247 said:

I'll check out the European Club. The rest of the group is flying out that Saturday so I'll be solo if I add that day and I'm not really interested in playing parkland

Glad to hear that on RCD. Been surprised that a lot of folks have it behind some of the other courses on our list; made me wonder if it was one rated real high by the "experts" that didn't hold up on the ground (hoped that wouldnt be the case) 

Over the years I have learned that golf courses in general elicit certain positions/rankings among golfers.  I think links golf brings even more of a response.

The difficulty of a course, inclusive of blind shots, often devalues a course in some peoples eyes.  Others it is design. Others just the views.  

RCD is a magnificent course - but it is not everyone's cup.  The rankings put it at the top of lists and now you have huge expectations.

My list - I am a Lahinch, Portrush and Waterville guy.  Then the others...with RCD right there. 🙂 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Over the years I have learned that golf courses in general elicit certain positions/rankings among golfers.  I think links golf brings even more of a response.

The difficulty of a course, inclusive of blind shots, often devalues a course in some peoples eyes.  Others it is design. Others just the views.  

RCD is a magnificent course - but it is not everyone's cup.  The rankings put it at the top of lists and now you have huge expectations.

My list - I am a Lahinch, Portrush and Waterville guy.  Then the others...with RCD right there. 🙂 

Got it; I'm trying hard to limit the expectation piece and just go play, but it can't be avoided to some degree. 

Portrush is the one I'm really bummed to miss. We had a chance to get on but it was kind of forced before I reworked the itinerary; by the time I was able to try again it was too late

Edited by Sterling_247

8 hours ago, Sterling_247 said:

From my calculations, N&P works out to the same amount of driving as heading up to the Portrush area and then down to Newcastle afterward. Looking at about 4 hours of driving that day either way unless we just headed straight to RCD or find an inland course on the way. 

We've got the second course at RCD on the radar for bonus golf the day we play Ardglass. Think we may take it easy that morning after the packed first few days and the drive down. 

So you must be spending the previous night near N&P. I assumed you were staying in the same digs near Rosapenna all those nights. 

2 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Don’t underestimate how quickly it gets dark when you will be there. 

You guys must be young. The drive back to Dublin then all the way to Rosaoenna is a little silly but it will definitely fill a day. 

Been keeping a pretty close eye on sunset times. We're not looking forward to that drive, but have to pay the piper for adding 3 west coast rounds before the trip was ever supposed to start and without the other half of our group. 

2 hours ago, Sterling_247 said:

Been keeping a pretty close eye on sunset times. We're not looking forward to that drive, but have to pay the piper for adding 3 west coast rounds before the trip was ever supposed to start and without the other half of our group. 

Aha!

Now it becomes clear, lol.  

I really enjoyed Lahinch and the lunch in the clubhouse was terrific.

IMG_6451.jpeg