2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Where to find BeCu ISI irons?

The obvious places come to mind, Ebay, 2nd Swing Golf, but are there any other places to pick up a set of Ping Becu ISI irons? I'm looking for a second set of green dot irons and that may be what's making the quest harder. I know I could get a set bent to be 2 up, but really don't want to mess with that. 

I already have a set in the bag and I don't mean to be selfish but I want a back-up set. 

Also have a BeNi set and a set of BeCu Eye2 but the ISI Becu perform the best for me. Thought about getting a steel set of ISI irons, but worry that I won't like them. There's something about the BeCu that feels so good. Like the club face is a mini-trampoline. I like them so much I haven't looked at a modern iron since swinging the BeCu's over a year ago.

For a backup set, don't discount the SS. They actually feel really good as well. 

• Like 2

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 7i, 9i, UW - Ping i210

SW - Ping Glide 3.0 SS 54.12

LW - Ping Glide 3.0 TS 60.06

P - SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5 
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

Ping has changed their color codes over the years.

here’s the current one.  

image.jpeg.4f4162169668c57c28d4f9c8c553625e.jpeg

I believe this is the one from the ISI Era.

image.png.6b5541b95b21fb1a7623f6c2616086d6.png

So if you were fitted in the current era then there’s a difference, sometimes small, in the lie angles.  Note that they don’t use the yellow in the current chart, but an ISI yellow would be closer to the current green than the ISI Blue.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, st1800e said:

Ping has changed their color codes over the years.

here’s the current one.  

image.jpeg.4f4162169668c57c28d4f9c8c553625e.jpeg

I believe this is the one from the ISI Era.

image.png.6b5541b95b21fb1a7623f6c2616086d6.png

So if you were fitted in the current era then there’s a difference, sometimes small, in the lie angles.  Note that they don’t use the yellow in the current chart, but an ISI yellow would be closer to the current green than the ISI Blue.  

There was no such thing as yellow dot (nor purple dot) in the ISI days.  Ping irons had 1* between color codes in those days.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

38 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

There was no such thing as yellow dot (nor purple dot) in the ISI days.  Ping irons had 1* between color codes in those days.

Got a chart from those days? Or any ping document? Either would be helpful, as I can’t find anything like that online.  And what years they changed the system, which I recall was multiple times.  

thanks. 

Edited by st1800e

9 hours ago, st1800e said:

Got a chart from those days? Or any ping document? Either would be helpful, as I can’t find anything like that online.  And what years they changed the system, which I recall was multiple times.  

thanks. 

This was the color chart used in the E2 era (confirmed with advertising literature).   Not 100% certain, but believe it was the same one used for ISI's.  Note the use of finger tip to floor correlating to club length vs. WTF.  Never seen yellow dot (or purple) ISI's.

89E615B2-69B5-414E-92BB-37618DF83602.png.4c4ee9f94e78127c3af86f0616562ae2.png

And to the OP.  Unless you're sensitive to +/- 1* lie differences, wouldn't be unduly concerned with blue v. green.  In my case, the delivery of the club head at ball strike will have a variance greater than that with any given swing.  Absolute preciseness not required.  

Edit note:  Lie angle adjustments are relative to a specific starting point.  For instance:  A G430 7 iron black is 62*.  My build notes have a ISI 7 iron black at 63.5*.  So 2* up will result in different end points depending where one starts.   

Whatever color chart in use, the value is as a guide to get an individual golfer into the neighborhood of appropriateness (static fit).  Not as an absolute.  As it does not incorporate how one swings the club (dynamic fit).  At a given point in time.  By example, using either of the two charts above, I'm a Maroon +.5"  (6'2", 38.5" WTF).  Realize improved ball striking at +1" and 2* up (green). This dynamic fit "spec" has been consistent regardless of the irons utilized.  I've changed my swing over time to mitigate an OTT tendency, resulting in relatively flatter lie preference.  Observing ball flight tendencies has mostly confirmed this.  As much as there can be consistency in tendencies with my recreational golfer swing.   

Just because Ping decided to eliminate the correlation between club length and dynamic lie angle doesn't eliminate the right angle trigonometry math involved.  The ratio:  .5" △ length = 1△ dynamic lie.  All other factors other than length remaining constant.  And a marginally interesting FWIW, the math seems to indicate why Ping used .75* increments to begin with (KS being the precise engineer).

Another point with ISI's, they are 1* up by design compared to other classic Pings to account for shaft droop inherent with the heavier toe weighting.  Somewhere along the way, I discovered the standard black lie angles and have them in my spec spreadsheet.  

Wouldn't let a bender touch a set of Ping Be irons unless I was 110% certain that they knew what they were doing.  The risk of snapping an irreplaceable matching numbers head is real.  Which leads me to another point.  Really have to perform one's due diligence with these irons.  Ideally, verifiable matching numbers for the set (3 - W minimally).  Don't pay matching numbers prices when they are not.  Carefully examine dot colors.  Ones with absent or clearly repainted colors should be viewed as suspect.  Not infrequent do I note funny business with dot colors (Green dots are a specific color for example).  Are the installed shafts consistent throughout the set.  

Regarding OE steel shaft flex in ISI's.  Believe JZ shafts were the only ones available in regular flex.  

For the record, I've had a set of BeNi ISI's, green dot, reshafted with TT Dynalite Gold XP R300.  The OE Z-Z65 stiffs were no bueno.  A side note:  When I pulled the shafts, several had bent tips.  Honestly can't tell much difference in the "feels" compared with a thrifted partial set of SS ISI's that began the curiosity.  Never hit a BeCu. 

My .02 and not wanting to over complicate things.  Play Your Best.  

Edited by Fellaheen51
  • Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

8 hours ago, st1800e said:

thanks. 

Found this through Google.  The first post in the thread mentions this was mentioned in the Dec, 2007 issue of Golf Digest.

Most of the rest of the thread is folks complaining.  🙂

• Haha 1

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

12 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Found this through Google.  The first post in the thread mentions this was mentioned in the Dec, 2007 issue of Golf Digest.

Most of the rest of the thread is folks complaining.  🙂

Ha.  A .25* difference is "huge".  Only in WRX'ville.  

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, st1800e said:

And what years they changed the system, which I recall was multiple times.  

The first change was apparently for 2008.  The second change was 2017 or 2018, which moved back to the 1* between color codes that was originally used, eliminating purple and yellow.

And, they removed the effective lie aspect, where length changes in a fitting had them adjusting the actual lie.  Probably because so many didn't understand what they were doing, which added confusion.

13 hours ago, Coppertop1880 said:

Can't say that it's been an issue but now they hunt for yellow begins....

14 hours ago, st1800e said:

I believe this is the one from the ISI Era

We’ve been properly informed now. So no yellow in ISI.  
Lots of info provided by @NRJyzr and @Fellaheen51,

thanks guys.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, st1800e said:

Hi, any experience bending the BeNi irons?
Same, easier, harder than BeCu? 

No experience with bending irons at all.  Know a bender for lie adjustments on non-Pings when needed.  

Have noted a fair amount of conflicting information about the bendability of Be Cu/Ni irons.  From yes, they can be adjusted by those experienced.  To no, they become "brittle" with age and become prone to a breakage risk.  A big IDK to all of it.  At one time, Ping would adjust +/- 2* (IIRC).  But that ended a long time ago.  Likely do to Be occupational safety concerns more than anything.  NTM, the availability of replacements if a hosel were to snap.  

Guess my original premise holds with irons of this type.  One is paying a healthy premium for OSP Be irons.  Acquire what's appropriate (or close) from the start.  And not take chances.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Fellaheen51 said:

And to the OP.  Unless you're sensitive to +/- 1* lie differences, wouldn't be unduly concerned with blue v. green.  In my case, the delivery of the club head at ball strike will have a variance greater than that with any given swing.  Absolute preciseness not required.  

One degree isn't a deal breaker.

And I agree, that unless you get a set custom bent, the color dots get you into the neighborhood. Been tempted to get a bender but just too much room to screw up a set of irons. I can re-grip, re-shaft but knowing my luck if I tried crack a hosel.

2 hours ago, Fellaheen51 said:

At one time, Ping would adjust +/- 2* (IIRC).  But that ended a long time ago.  Likely do to Be occupational safety concerns more than anything.  NTM, the availability of replacements if a hosel were to snap.  

Quick note on this part of your post...

There's no safety concerns with just bending BeNi or BeCu clubheads.  It's only the dust that causes a problem.  Ping declining to adjust them is almost certainly due to the lack of replacement clubheads, once they ceased producing them.

• Like 2

Side bar...

Does anyone else find it frustrating to find that set of irons you're looking for on eBay or any other online source, only to read at the end of the description it's a left handed set? I think I've found four sets of BeCu ISI green dot sets, at a decent price, only to see they are left handers. Shame you can't convert left handed clubs to right or that being ambidextrous was easier.

On 3/1/2024 at 8:10 PM, Coppertop1880 said:

Side bar...

Does anyone else find it frustrating to find that set of irons you're looking for on eBay or any other online source, only to read at the end of the description it's a left handed set? I think I've found four sets of BeCu ISI green dot sets, at a decent price, only to see they are left handers. Shame you can't convert left handed clubs to right or that being ambidextrous was easier.

They don't look "right" to me immediately in the photos so I never get that far lol. 

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 7i, 9i, UW - Ping i210

SW - Ping Glide 3.0 SS 54.12

LW - Ping Glide 3.0 TS 60.06

P - SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5 
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)